• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Breaking the Ice - Ice Climbers DLC Discussion Thread - Under New Ownership!

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I've said this way too many times...

If ICies were to be DLC this close to Christmas, I'm pretty sure we'd know about it by now. Otherwise, I just think it's too early. The 3DS problems caused them to be out of the game, meaning it couldn't handle them. I would think it takes more than just a few weeks/months after the game's release to fix these problems. Regardless, it would be neat if we got them as a Christmas "present", but I just think the timing is off and because of that I think it's unrealistic. Perhaps closer to their 30th anniversary? Or maybe they start working on them right before Mewtwo is released? But I don't think we'll be getting them now. Later, definitely. Now, uh...no. Sorry guys, but I don't think it's gonna happen.

I just said it would be cool. Don't expect them.

lightdasher

Smash Lord
I got the ice climbers done and painted. Finally...
But I must say I could do a lot better, maybe I shall take a crack at it again after New year.
But for now at least the Proto-type is done.
Now to move on to the box. which can be used for both the final and proto-type
May I/we see the cutie children?

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
May I/we see the cutie children?
Let's have him do it on Christmas. That'll be a nice "gift" for all of us and it would stay on the theme of both the season and these two characters.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
But some of us actually DO stuff on/for Christmas
It was only a suggestion. He may post it when he likes. It is his creation, and it's for our eskimos. I would like to see them too, and if it's sooner rather than later, so be it. I'm sure we'll all enjoy it.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
This might be interesting for Ice Climbers fans: http://smashboards.com/threads/saku...originally-planned-for-melee-and-more.382341/ (Make sure you read my post on that thread...)

Seems like 8-player Smash pushes the Wii U to its limits and could have been another reason to exclude them.

Really looks like things weren't in the Ice Climbers' favor for this game...
As others have said, there isn't much of a problem. The Wii U has a lot of processing power and should be able to easily make 16 climbers. The 3DS has this issue has it's a handheld so there is a greater issue with having strong processing power (naturally, it has less).

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
Living in a peacefull place on nowhere islands.
Okay guys. The ice climbers are nearly done. I went back and revamped them completely giving them the lines under the jackets hoods and the yellow pins near the buckles on their feet.

So with that said can someone tag everyone who is a fan/supporter of the Ice climbers who have been here since the start onwards, As it would be a nice surprise for them this jolly season :D
Any way seems as though they should be done in time for me to get working on
So if I can't get them posted here soon (mostly because I don't how I will get the image on the internet.
I will wish you all a very merry holiday what ever you celebrate :)
And hope to show you these guys soon :popo:

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
this thread just refuses to give me notifications...
I get that with most threads XD

YES! This is going to be awesome! Can't wait to see what you did, DoodleDuck!
You shall be happy to know the last thing left is there mouths ;)
But which would be bettr usning the image above should they both have mouths like this ? :D or like this :)
Or one of both similar to Melee

This is the render I shall be using for the box and the render it's based upon :)

Mostly because their feet is on the ground unlike their trophy model in game.

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I get that with most threads XD

You shall be happy to know the last thing left is there mouths ;)
But which would be bettr usning the image above should they both have mouths like this ? :D or like this :)
Or one of both similar to Melee

This is the render I shall be using for the box and the render it's based upon :)

Mostly because their feet is on the ground unlike their trophy model in game.
If you're basing it off of the bottom picture, then I think it'd be better to use a ":D" face.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Anyone kind of like the fact that most of the hubbub surrounding DLC is focused on the cut characters rather than new characters with Ice Climbers arguably being the most popular request? After speculating about new characters for nearly two years, it's kind of nice to see people sticking to the people who they want to see back. I kind of get the feeling that a new DLC announcement will be made by March at the latest. I hope Nintendo's taking notice of how much people miss the Ice Climbers so that, at the very least, they aren't entirely dropped from Smash Bros for good in the next installment.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Anyone kind of like the fact that most of the hubbub surrounding DLC is focused on the cut characters rather than new characters with Ice Climbers arguably being the most popular request? After speculating about new characters for nearly two years, it's kind of nice to see people sticking to the people who they want to see back. I kind of get the feeling that a new DLC announcement will be made by March at the latest. I hope Nintendo's taking notice of how much people miss the Ice Climbers so that, at the very least, they aren't entirely dropped from Smash Bros for good in the next installment.
Ya, I honestly don't expect us to get any newcomers as DLC. I think if Nintendo gave us Wolf, Lucas, ICies, and Mewtwo as DLC, everyone would be fine. And maybe Snake. Though he's probably got the slimmest of the chances of the aforementioned characters.

Last edited:

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
Ya, I honestly don't expect us to get any newcomers as DLC. I think if Nintendo gave us Wolf, Lucas, ICies, and Mewtwo as DLC, everyone would be fine. And maybe Snake. Though he's probably got the slimmest of the chances of the aforementioned characters.
I'd be all right with that.........
No bias I swear :p
HEY GUYS.......
ICE CLIMBERS......
Yes guys it's happening sometime soon ;)

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I'd be all right with that.........
No bias I swear :p
HEY GUYS.......
ICE CLIMBERS......
Yes guys it's happening sometime soon ;)
Hey guys! Ice Climber, huh? Well all you gotta do, is climb the iceberg!

Love it. ICies all the way!

:popo: (lost the link for Nana, can someone please post it?)

I tell you what, if ICies don't get in as DLC (which they'd better be in as DLC), they sure as heck better be one of the first characters confirmed for Smash 5, if that ever happens.

Last edited:

lightdasher

Smash Lord
Hey guys! Ice Climber, huh? Well all you gotta do, is climb the iceberg!

Love it. ICies all the way!

:popo: (lost the link for Nana, can someone please post it?)

I tell you what, if ICies don't get in as DLC (which they'd better be in as DLC), they sure as heck better be one of the first characters confirmed for Smash 5, if that ever happens.
http://i.imgur.com/BNAkqtK.png

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Speculation is one thing, but these characters are near and dear to people, myself included. We've played with them for 6 years at least so it's sad to not see them in here. I think the roster would be that much better with the Ice Climbers, Lucas and Wolf in there. I hope with the new 3DS that they can make the characters happen.

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
@ ROBnWatch ROBnWatch @ SmashChu SmashChu @ lightdasher lightdasher @ Fatmanonice Fatmanonice @ WindozeNT WindozeNT @ Sm4sher69 Sm4sher69 @vaanrose @ J04KlM J04KlM
One Christmas eve all was nigh,
As many of the Smashers they cry.
No Ice climbers in sight,
In HD they shant fight.
Horrible Rhyme I know but it's finally time I keep a promise behold what I claim as Ice climbers :)
I know it's not the best and the Falcon box looks ridiculous but with the supplies I can acquire it's extremely hard to make Super detailed Perfect figures.

None the less all that remains is their box with this Render on it.

My apologies If I left any one out :3

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
@ ROBnWatch ROBnWatch @ SmashChu SmashChu @ lightdasher lightdasher @ Fatmanonice Fatmanonice @ WindozeNT WindozeNT @ Sm4sher69 Sm4sher69 @vaanrose @ J04KlM J04KlM
One Christmas eve all was nigh,
As many of the Smashers they cry.
No Ice climbers in sight,
In HD they shant fight.
Horrible Rhyme I know but it's finally time I keep a promise behold what I claim as Ice climbers :)
I know it's not the best and the Falcon box looks ridiculous but with the supplies I can acquire it's extremely hard to make Super detailed Perfect figures.

None the less all that remains is their box with this Render on it.

My apologies If I left any one out :3
That's awesome! I don't know how that can be any better. Happy holidays everyone! (Couldn't say that sooner because I was feeling sick)

LunarDistortion

Lord of the Nigelchu's
NNID
Lunar_Distortion
3DS FC
4639-9294-0127
Switch FC
SW-4041-3028-0448
Definitely sign me up for a supporter. Even though I believe they might have some limitations even on Wii U, I do want them to try to find a way to implement them into the game.

KCJ506

Smash Cadet
I apologize if this has already been discussed, but is it possible that the 3DS version isn't the only reason why the IC were cut. Could 8-player Smash also have played a factor? According to one interview the Wii U version "just barely" was able to manage that mode. If that's the case, then it seems likely that 16 IC running around on screen would be out of the realm of possibility. I'm beginning to think that even if the 3DS version didn't exist, they probably would've still been cut for the sake of the Wii U version's main selling point.

And before someone mention Rosalina & Luma, they don't work exactly the same as the IC. Nana is her own AI and is more complicated. The game treats her as another character on the screen who just happens to copy your movement. Luma isn't. Luma is coded as being a part of Rosalina. Rosalina also doesn't lose her recovery if Luma gets KOed.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I apologize if this has already been discussed, but is it possible that the 3DS version isn't the only reason why the IC were cut. Could 8-player Smash also have played a factor? According to one interview the Wii U version "just barely" was able to manage that mode. If that's the case, then it seems likely that 16 IC running around on screen would be out of the realm of possibility. I'm beginning to think that even if the 3DS version didn't exist, they probably would've still been cut for the sake of the Wii U version's main selling point.

And before someone mention Rosalina & Luma, they don't work exactly the same as the IC. Nana is her own AI and is more complicated. The game treats her as another character on the screen who just happens to copy your movement. Luma isn't. Luma is coded as being a part of Rosalina. Rosalina also doesn't lose her recovery if Luma gets KOed.
Sakurai said that the ICies were running fine on Wii U, probably including the fact that they were able to be implemented into 8 player smash.

I got the game for Christmas on Wii U, and after playing it for a while, I realized how flipping badly ICies need to be in this game. Not seeing their faces on the character select screen makes my heart sink...

Staarih

Smash Master
Haven't been in Smashboards for ages, but just wanted to point out something cool on DeviantArt - this artist called Tamarinfrog is doing a whole month of Ice Climbers-related art, one a day, to celebrate their anniversary. Which I think is super cool! Here are the ones she's done so far: http://tamarinfrog.deviantart.com/gallery/161678/Nintendo

Makes me wish Ice Climbers were back in Smash even more...

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787

J04KlM

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pichu4SSB4
3DS FC
4940-5417-1674
Look what i made.

Original:

Wasn't able to recreate the whole stage, as the Stage Builder has a limit. But... it's close enough?

PlTe

Smash Journeyman
I fully support Ice Climbers' reinclusion into the game, but I don't know if it will happen. Unless they brought Wolf to 3DS exclusively and Ice Climbers to Wii U exclusively, but that's unlikely.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Look what i made.

Original:

Wasn't able to recreate the whole stage, as the Stage Builder has a limit. But... it's close enough?
Close enough.

Ugh, guys, we've gotta do something about this. ICies should be here, we all know that. I don't think Nintendo's getting the message though. I think we need to act and show Nintendo these two eskimos need to be in the game. 3DS limitations and irrelevance are crap excuses. People loved these guys, and they were Smash classics. Almost every Smash player out there knew who the were, and expected them to return. What else can we do to get the message to Nintendo? Because I'm tired of sitting on this thread, watching everyone make fantastic stuff to support the ICies. I'm tired of complaining, we gotta do something.

CosmicGlitch

Smash Apprentice
Close enough.

Ugh, guys, we've gotta do something about this. ICies should be here, we all know that. I don't think Nintendo's getting the message though. I think we need to act and show Nintendo these two eskimos need to be in the game. 3DS limitations and irrelevance are crap excuses. People loved these guys, and they were Smash classics. Almost every Smash player out there knew who the were, and expected them to return. What else can we do to get the message to Nintendo? Because I'm tired of sitting on this thread, watching everyone make fantastic stuff to support the ICies. I'm tired of complaining, we gotta do something.
Nintendo: we literally just can not do it.
Fan: but just do it though.

honestly 5mash is our best bet and your right they are iconic and people love them i think sakuria himself said something about having a fondness for the character at one point. they will be in the next game. and nintendo is already working on their next console so we will get a console in about 2 years and a new smash in probably like 3-5 idk isnt to bad a wait i suppose

Last edited:

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
I don't how you guys would feel about this.
I really expect back lash from saying this but......
How about them making a cameo on the Summit stage in a DLC pack assuming they don't work on the New 3ds.

See right were the polar bear resides.
They can be standing there doing whatever, Victory high fives, waving or jumping around. With a sign that says "See you next game!" It's just idea but I would rather that than them not appearing at all.
(P.S it just started snowing in my town. It's an climbers 30th anniversary miracle.)

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Nintendo: we literally just can not do it.
Fan: but just do it though.

honestly 5mash is our best bet and your right they are iconic and people love them i think sakuria himself said something about having a fondness for the character at one point. they will be in the next game. and nintendo is already working on their next console so we will get a console in about 2 years and a new smash in probably like 3-5 idk isnt to bad a wait i suppose
Better than the 6 years we had to wait from Brawl till now, but it doesn't make up for nothing. I'm sick of this crap. We've got their music and a glitch in the 3DS, and we've got the Polar Bear in Smash Run. Heck, we've even got a model for them in the form of a trophy. I don't even care if they're New 3DS and Wii U exclusive! Just put them in the game. It's so flipping sad that they had to go and make two versions of the game, one of which they KNEW would hold back the other, and yet they still made it, but cut the ICies because of those limitations, then gave up because them not being relevant is a good enough reason to do so. People CARED about the ICies, but Nintendo didn't care enough about that fact. Then we've got a ton of videos that are out there, all about how people loved these characters, and all we can do is watch them and nearly start crying. They weren't just there. They were there, and most people accepted it, whether they liked it or not. They were there for a reason, because Nintendo cared, and so did the fans. Now Nintendo doesn't care. Being irrelevant is good enough of an excuse to get you kicked out of a game. Mr. G&W is more irrelevant than the ICies, yet he's back! Why wasn't he cut? Ya sure he works better on the 3DS, but that doesn't erase the fact that he's irrelevant, does it? And so is R.O.B. and Duck Hunt Dog. Look where they are! In the same game as GRENINJA! That's right, we're in 2015, a year in which characters from the 1980's who had very few games, are in the same game as a character created LAST YEAR (or 2013, I forget)! Point is, irrelevance is not an excuse. I'm a kid, growing up in a world where there's a new Call of Duty game every 1 or 2 years, and I'm getting more excited about characters from the 1980's, who have returned to make an appearance in Smash, over that! And I'm sure there are a good lot of people who feel the same. There's a reason for that. Because these characters are so cool, and so "irrelevant" (aka retro), that we know if they get cut, they may not ever return. End. Of. Discussion.

By the way, Doodle, I think that'd be awesome if Nintendo did that. Not as awesome as if they'd put them in the game, but awesome nonetheless.

:popo:

Last edited:

WindozeNT

Smash Ace
NNID
WindozeNT
3DS FC
1865-1050-3752
Mr. G&W is more irrelevant than the ICies, yet he's back! Why wasn't he cut? Ya sure he works better on the 3DS, but that doesn't erase the fact that he's irrelevant, does it?
I disagree. His console had 60 games that ran for 10 years. Then there was Gallery that launched after the originals ended and ran until after Melee with 4 installments. Then there's Collection on the DS, which had 2 or 3 installments. Then there's the visualizer in the 3DS's music app. The Game & Watch started Nintendo's monopoly on handhelds before the Game Boy even existed. The control pad in Donkey Kong is now used in almost every console since its release and the casing design in DK was used in the DS and 3DS. The Game & Watch is why Nintendo is where they are now.
The Ice Climbers, on the other hand, have only one game in their series. They have it released on VC and show up in NES Remix and the characters are in SSB since Melee (though now it's just the Polar Bear in 4), but that's about it.
R.O.B. had only 2 games, but he fixed the Great Crash of 1983 and made Nintendo a huge name in America by being sold as a Trojan horse. Duck Hunt is the most popular lightgun on the NES and came packed in later NESes with SMB. The dog's trolling laugh gave the game some kind of legendary status and made Duck Hunt one of the most remembered NES game next to SMB. WhIle he's in the same boat as ICs having only a single game and a VC release, it was one of the most popular games the NES has. Many people probably never heard of the ICs until Melee while everyone I know who's seen a NES known what Duck Hunt is.
The argument that the ICs are the most relevant of the 4 is invalid. If anything, they're one of the most irrelevant. They were forgotten until Melee, while the Game & Watch and Duck Hunt were still known through the 90s (with G&W continuing as Gallery). R.O.B. gets his relevancy as the thing that recovered the Great Crash, though he was likely forgotten about until Brawl/Mario Kart.

Last edited:

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
I disagree. His console had 60 games that ran for 10 years. Then there was Gallery that launched after the originals ended and ran until after Melee with 4 installments. Then there's Collection on the DS, which had 2 or 3 installments. Then there's the visualizer in the 3DS's music app. The Game & Watch started Nintendo's monopoly on handhelds before the Game Boy even existed. The control pad in Donkey Kong is now used in almost every console since its release and the casing design in DK was used in the DS and 3DS. The Game & Watch is why Nintendo is where they are now.
The Ice Climbers, on the other hand, have only one game in their series. They have it released on VC and show up in NES Remix and the characters are in SSB since Melee (though now it's just the Polar Bear in 4), but that's about it.
R.O.B. had only 2 games, but he fixed the Great Crash of 1983 and made Nintendo a huge name in America by being sold as a Trojan horse. Duck Hunt is the most popular lightgun on the NES and came packed in later NESes with SMB. The dog's trolling laugh gave the game some kind of legendary status and made Duck Hunt one of the most remembered NES game next to SMB. WhIle he's in the same boat as ICs having only a single game and a VC release, it was one of the most popular games the NES has. Many people probably never heard of the ICs until Melee while everyone I know who's seen a NES known what Duck Hunt is.
The argument that the ICs are the most relevant of the 4 is invalid. If anything, they're one of the most irrelevant. They were forgotten until Melee, while the Game & Watch and Duck Hunt were still known through the 90s (with G&W continuing as Gallery). R.O.B. gets his relevancy as the thing that recovered the Great Crash, though he was likely forgotten about until Brawl/Mario Kart.
Actually R.O.B would have been relevant for a good while.
i.e. His countless cameo's in F-zero GX and the likes. I mean hell he is a cameo in Brawl's Mute city stage which means he cameos in the two games he's playable in.:rob::4rob:

G&W is relevant till this day simply due to the fact that Nintendo still sell the Game and Watch's on their Star's catalogue here in the UK and he's one of the only characters to be completely flat and relevant through Smash. The only other being Paper Mario.:gawmelee::gw::4gaw:

And Duck hunt Dog, Well he's the one I have undying nostalgia for. As you can tell the fact he also has a duck with him 24/7 makes him even more likable for me. Mind you I hated him before I played as him in smash. Seriously I couldn't stand this mongrel laughing at me for my horrible shots. But in Smash 4 I find him adorable :3
He gets extra points for the fact that the duck actually swims :'3:4duckhunt:

Now Ice Climbers....... I had no connection to them as child but in Smash....... I adored them. They are the only characters to bring the winter atmosphere and over here it never snows. So I welcomed them with open arms.
Having them absent this iteration sucks.
But I am extremely grate-full for Melee and Project M's life spans.
Thy keep them alive :'):icsmelee::popo:

Last edited:

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
i.e. His countless cameo's in F-zero GX and the likes. I mean hell he is a cameo in Brawl's Mute city stage which means he cameos in the two games he's playable in.:rob::4rob:

G&W is relevant till this day simply due to the fact that Nintendo still sell the Game and Watch's on their Star's catalogue here in the UK and he's one of the only characters to be completely flat and relevant through Smash. The only other being Paper Mario.:gawmelee::gw::4gaw:

And Duck hunt Dog, Well he's the one I have undying nostalgia for. As you can tell the fact he also has a duck with him 24/7 makes him even more likable for me. Mind you I hated him before I played as him in smash. Seriously I couldn't stand this mongrel laughing at me for my horrible shots. But in Smash 4 I find him adorable :3

Now Ice Climbers....... I had no connection to them as child but in Smash....... I adored them. They are the only characters to bring the winter atmosphere and over here it never snows. So I welcomed them with open arms.
I'm surprised no-one has mentioned R.O.B being playable in Mario Kart DS

WindozeNT

Smash Ace
NNID
WindozeNT
3DS FC
1865-1050-3752
I'm surprised no-one has mentioned R.O.B being playable in Mario Kart DS
I mentioned that R.O.B. was in Mario Kart. Forgot about F-Zero though.

They've would've gotten in had it not been for the hardware department being stupid and giving it underpowered hardware. The 3DS has 128MB of RAM with some of that going only to the OS and has 2 ARM11 processors at 268MHz (and I think 2 unused-by-3DS-games ARM7+ARM9 processors used for DS games at 33.5MHz and 67MHz respectively for 100.5MHz total) totaling at 536MHz. The GameCube has 43MB of RAM (24MB as primary) and a PowerPC processor at 485MHz.
The 3DS is probably only utilizing 134 MHz a core since it has to generate 2 slightly different images for the 3D effect, making the real speed 268MHz from both cores. Even with 3D off, I think the 3DS would still run the cores at half-speed by writing one of the generated images to the null device instead of focusing on making a single image. This makes the 2011 3DS less powerful than the 2001 GameCube and probably more on par with the 1996 Nintendo 64.

Last edited:
Top Bottom