• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Breaking the habit

BumbleBomb

Smash Apprentice
So i knew I had habits when playing smash, and by breaking them i know it will step up my game a bunch. After playing tonight i realized i have to break serious habits because i have a tournament coming up. What are everyone's habits, and if you have already, how did you break them?

With me, I roll a ton, and its always a killer for me because im always rolling into a smash attack to end the game...Im also liable to be predictable (I know that slowing down to think about what im doing will help mix up predictability). Any advice on those two habits would be appreciated along with your post on your habits.

i8pie

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I used to dodge roll a lot too. I personally find switching controllers is a good way to break habits. Since switching to a Gamecube Controller, I've stopped dodge rolling too much, taunting after KOing my opponents and charging my smash attacks too much / stopped being predictable in general.

BumbleBomb

Smash Apprentice
Yea I started brawl with a gamecube controller since I was coming fresh off of 64 and melee, never really picked up the wii mote for brawl. I dont really have a taunt habit but I'm gonna have to ween myself from the roll. The trick to Bein unpredictable is to mix your game up which is another flaw for me since I have a habit of doing habitual things without even thinking about it.

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
Well, I know if you play against CPUs a lot you can develop habits you think are good, but actually are not. CPUs act in ways, and do things that no normal human would do. Rolling is actually very useful against a CPU because they are stupid and won't punish you. Rolling is not so useful against human players because normally they will know how to react. Have you tried playing Wifi?

"With Anyone" I don't really like, there is a small amount of constant lag it seems, and it really makes playing difficult. "With Friends" though doesn't seem to be that bad, especially since you can get some 1 on 1 practice instead of constantly being put into a 4 way free-for-all.

If you are looking for that kind of 1-way practice, you should check out the Mentoring Program. Even though it seems to be geared for more beginner-style practice, I am sure it could still benefit you in some ways. Finding tactics you haven't known before, etc.

Or, if you are looking simply for a more advanced Brawl, you could try Smashboards Arena. You'll usually find more experienced players there, which is a nice refresher from CPUs.

FIREL

Smash Ace
To break habits, i just remind myself to do that one particular action (spot dodge), then it enters your blood and becomes a new habit.

BumbleBomb

Smash Apprentice
ill definitely take what i can get, right now ive been using fsmash.org to find people to play, which has worked, but i will try those other options you suggested especially the one you say is more for beginners. i wholeheartedly agree with what you said about playing the cpu and playing humans. TOTALLY different. Me and my friend talk about that everyday and because there arent that many local players to play with except for a tourney every blue moon we have been limited to playing each other. but playing each other will only get you so far because eventually you adapt to each others playstyle. so Yea, getting feelers out online is essential right now. Hopefully the different types of playstyles will break me of cpu habit.

FIREL- thats deep, lol.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
It seems nearly everyone rolls a lot when they start off playing Smash Bros.. I too was guilty of that habit. Of course, I managed to break that habit, which has helped me. The thing I do, other than spotdodging (though I don't overuse it, or else it'd be as predictable as a roll), is simply run. When running away, you have a little more control of what you can do. When rolling, you can't do anything during the roll animation. Now I'm not saying rolling is bad or anything, but excessive rolling will be a liability, as you already know.

As for mixing things up and being unpredictable, that's up to you to figure out what moves to use and mix up. Some beginners tend to use smash attacks more than they should, and also tend to use them early. In most cases, that's a terrible idea, as many smash attacks are a character's best way of killing, and if you overuse it, it'll stale and fail to kill when it needs to. Of course, there are smash attacks that lack much KO power that's okay to use for damage-racking - Link's Usmash, R.O.B.'s Dsmash, and Pikachu's Dsmash are good examples.

Well, that's about all the input I can give... for now. I hope this help to answer any of your questions and help remedy some of your problems.

FIREL

Smash Ace
Another way is to do something (spot dodge) by accident and it might enter your blood... not likely though but it does happen.

Plus spot dodging, once you master it, it becomes more of a reflex so you don't have to worry about it too much.

BumbleBomb

Smash Apprentice
yes this does help, and of course the most important thing is practice. I should incorporate spot dodging more to help lessen the rolling

Mike2

Smash Ace
I spotdodge a lot. Like way too much. That's one I'm very well aware of but keep doing it out of pure habit. Gonna have to think really hard in the coming ....whatever..... to not do it. Must fight the urge.....

Not like I think spotdodge is good and unpunishable or something. lol Just a deep rooted habit from when I first touched the game.

SupaSairentoZ7℠

Smash Hero
When I got Brawl on its release and played it for hours that night I rolled too much. I soon got out of that habit because it is easy to be grabbed after a roll plus I seen players roll into other players charged Fsmash and end up being KOed from it. I roll when it required. Otherwise I shield and ground dodge more which is more helpful for me.

Rsd

Smash Rookie
I used to be an item hog back in the days of Melee. I forget how long it was into my Brawl career until that was broken, but I don't absolutely resort to them to win anymore. Admittedly, using items is still a big part of my strategy, but I could live without them for a while.

Mario Zelda Fan

Smash Apprentice
When I used to play... I don't know. I don't really remember having any bad habits. Maybe rolling a bit too much sometimes (I'm not a rollcario, though) as some people have pointed out to me, but it was never even that bad. But honsestly that's all I can think of.

SupaSairentoZ7℠

Smash Hero
When I used to play... I don't know. I don't really remember having any bad habits. Maybe rolling a bit too much sometimes (I'm not a rollcario, though) as some people have pointed out to me, but it was never even that bad. But honsestly that's all I can think of.
I think I roll the most with Lucario than any other character. Probably because of his monster rolls.XD

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
So i knew I had habits when playing smash, and by breaking them i know it will step up my game a bunch. After playing tonight i realized i have to break serious habits because i have a tournament coming up. What are everyone's habits, and if you have already, how did you break them?

With me, I roll a ton, and its always a killer for me because im always rolling into a smash attack to end the game...Im also liable to be predictable (I know that slowing down to think about what im doing will help mix up predictability). Any advice on those two habits would be appreciated along with your post on your habits.
It's not enough to know that you're doing something wrong.

That's all well and good, but if you don't know what to do instead of what's wrong, you'll panic and freeze up, or do something wrong, which is sometimes what you didn't want to do in the first place.

Read up on your options. Learn them. Stick with them.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I can thank Mr. Game & Watch for that since he has a terrible roll and it is easy to punish. This was way back so even since they I hardly need to roll.
Yeah, some characters really have no business rolling at all. G&W's one of them, as well as Samus, Yoshi, and a few others. In their case, simply running from the opponent or spotdodging's the better option.

Top Bottom