• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Breaking Point

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Link to original post: [drupal=868]Breaking Point[/drupal]

This may be a little rant-y, so just bear with me.

My life for the past few months has been...unsatisfactory, to say the least. There are definitely people worse off than I am, but I feel like I'm perpetually stressed out. I feel like there's ALWAYS something hanging over my head, ALWAYS something to worry about, ALWAYS something to reflect back on and cringe at.

It all really comes down to my procrastination. I used to be SO good about procrastinating...I never used to do it at all. After all, it's stupid, pointless, and causes you more harm than good. Not just putting things off, but procrastinating. While I may want to go off and play my 360 or my SNES, if I've got things that need to get done, I'll force myself to not do those things until I'm done. But then I end up scrolling through funny picture for an hour, or watching TV for a few hours, or doing something else wholly unsatisfying but at the same time letting me put my work off. I'd be better off just doing what I actually want to do, but then I'd REALLY never do what I need to do and I won't be able to bring myself to it.

What causes my procrastination, most likely, is the fact that I'm so stressed out so I don't want to give myself more stress and would prefer to relax, which is ultimately an oxymoron because it actually causes me more stress. Every night I go to bed later, which gets me more sleep-deprived. I've lost so much sleep at this point I'd probably have to sleep for two days straight to catch up, and I hate sleeping as it is (I feel it wastes my time too much) so that will never happen even if the occasion to do that arises. So I feel like absolute **** waking up in the morning, which doesn't start my day well. One day it'll likely cause me to be late. And throughout my day, I feel like I'm going to fall asleep because of my sleep deprivation. Plus, if I don't get more sleep, I'm very prone to having a heart attack, which only worries me more.

Then there's the actual substance. There's an overwhelming amount of things I have to get done -- most of them not very soon, but soon enough that I am stressed out knowing they need to get done. Then I put them off until the last minute so I find myself losing sleep getting them done at the last minute.

But there're the smaller things as well. My stress and lack of sleep causes me to forget things, in ways such as leaving things places, or not doing things right, misinterpreting something altogether...it just makes it worse.

It's impossible for me to even say the root of all of this, though. Procrastination is what's keeping it going, but at the same time, stress causes me to procrastinate, which causes stress in turn, which makes it a circle. Lack of sleep adds to stress, and that lack of sleep is partially caused by procrastination. Everything going in my life gives me cause to procrastinate, or I would have nothing to put off. Everything's to blame, which only makes it harder to tackle.

The best thing for me to do would be to fix my procrastination, but I just...can't. I've tried forcing myself to work on what I need to, but it only ends up happening once every blue moon. I've tried giving myself something as a reward when I finish things, but it still doesn't work. I know how disastrous the effects of procrastination are. I know how much happier I'd be if I got things done ahead of time. Despite knowing that I'm screwing myself over, I'm not fixing it. It's almost as if I'm just self-destructive.

Even at the moment, I'm being a big self-destructive. The reason I felt it was worth staying up an extra 20 or 30 minutes to write this was because ranting about it in this blog will hopefully help me think about it more critically and fix it, or at least relieve some stress. Hopefully in the long run, I'll be right that the positive effects outweigh the negative effects.

So the title is "Breaking Point" because...well, I'm just about at my breaking point. I'm going to have a mental breakdown yet, I already have a mini one about once a week. And this whole situation has totally skewed my life. I don't ever feel truly happy or relaxed because I've always got something to remember to weigh my spirits down again. Normally this time of year, I'm excited for the holidays; I'm in a happy mood, in a cheery spirit. But not this year. I am looking forward to the holidays, but it's mostly because I feel they can be an escape from all of the crap surrounding me at the moment. Which in turn makes me feel worse...everything's just redundant. I'm stressed as a result of being stressed...it's ridiculous.

I know this was a long read, so I thank anyone who read the entire thing.

Mith_

Smash Champion
LOL.
Sounds like exam time to me buddy.
Once exams are over you will be fine.

If it is not exams then,
just go get done what you need to do.
Hopefully you can relax after that.

Starscream

Smash Ace
Sounds quite like myself in my senior high school year. Except I was probably just a lazy ****er. And I enjoy sleep oh so very much. Being out of school and working is so much more relaxing. I dread the day I start post secondary and all that BS happens again.

Patinator

Smash Champion
*Whistle*

Wow. That sounds pretty bad...

The only way you can fix it, though, is by applying yourself. :/ We all have to do things we don't want to. And very often, probably. You've just got to keep reminding yourself that you need to get X/Y/Z thing done before you can do what would actually please you. Maybe some self-torture needs to be applied if you don't get X/Y/Z done by X self-placed deadline. >:3

That's... The best I can offer, Firus.

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
I know how you feel. I'm just finishing a huge history paper that I've been putting off for a while. The best advice I can give is to start things well in advance, this way you can pace yourself and it won't be a problem if you need to take a "day off".

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
The same thing is happening to me. I can't fall asleep till past 12:00 and it really bothers me because everyone in my family are early sleepers (9:00 there in bed >_>). I want to play games or sit on the computer all day but I know I have work to do.

Luckily, I've started controlling it and have started to get back on track (self-paced school FTW!). I'm also getting more sleep (even though I hate going to sleep in the 1st place).

-:bowser:Bowser King

Cinder

Smash Master
As we speak, I am procrastinating on a take-home exam I need to have done by 8:00 tomorrow morning (it's almost 9:00 here), spent all weekend procrastinating, and have had three exams today (one was a paper, one was a portfolio [which was a *****!!!], and one was a typical exam), and have to turn in the take-home tomorrow and take another exam...

College exams are fun :B and all this while finding out that my grandfather may have liver failure...some day I've had >>;

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
LOL.
Sounds like exam time to me buddy.
Once exams are over you will be fine.
Nah, not that. As I said, this has been going on for a few months now. It's not just my present, there are things coming up in a week, a few weeks, a month...etc. Then there's the small things between now and then, not to mention that my pathology forces me to beat myself up for every stupid thing I've ever done, even if it happened when I was 6. Which doesn't help.

Thanks everyone for the advice and encouragement...I'll definitely take it into account and give it a shot.

Top Bottom