• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Breakdown of the U-tilt Combo (many variations)

jtowns

Smash Apprentice
The basic combo is Down Throw -> U-tilt(2 times for some characters) -> Uair. Some of these you can do usmash. For some it is possible to di out by jumping up but not many. On the fast fallers you can do 2 u-tilts possibly backwards and after uair throw in a bair. You can modify this many ways to keep your opponent off guard. The main part of this combo is use D Throw and Utilt, the Uair can be changed for many moves. The number beside the name refers to the # of U-tilts. The fast fallers also can be u-tilted once, uair'd and then use down throw again.

Mario - No
Dk - Yes (1)
Link - Yes (1)
Samus - No
ZSS - No
*Kirby - Yes (1)
Fox - Yes (1 or 2)
Pika - Yes (1)
*Marth - Yes (1)
*GW - Yes (1)
Luigi - Yes (1)
*Diddy - Yes (1)
Sheik - Yes (1)
Zelda - No
*Pit - Yes (1)
*MK - Yes (1)
Falco - Yes (1 or 2)
*Squirtle - Yes (1)
Charizard - Yes (1)
Ivy - Yes (1)
Ike - Yes (1)
Snake - Yes (1)
Peach - No
*Gannon - Yes (1)
IC's - No
DDD - Yes (1)
Wolf - Yes (1 or 2)
Lucario - No
*Ness - Yes (1)
*Sonic - Yes (1)
Bowser - Yes (1)
Wario - Yes (1)
*TL - Yes (1)
Rob - Yes (1)
*Olimar - Yes (1)
CF - Yes (1 or 2)
Jiggs - No
*Lucas - Yes (1)

Characters marked with an asterisk (*) can di out vertically if they have reflexes of a super computer, but it's possible.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
edited: like others said, pretty common sense for most kirby players, but good to know the specifics on certain characters

TwilightKirby

Smash Ace
Not trying to be mean or anything but... why bother making a thread when you don't have anything to post yet?
:confused:

jtowns

Smash Apprentice
yo, i was posting it, and then i realized i messed up my data so i re-did it. maybe i just won't tell you anymore :p

jtowns

Smash Apprentice
Nah bro. it's a combo builder, haha. I'm sure Gonzo can take this and change it up some more and find new ****.

~Gonzo~

Smash Ace
this really depends on the style of play u use. Most people kinda know this combo but dont use it due to the fact that other combos make more damage, however, if u've ever tried this on a spacey without spamming the utilt but timing them so that u maximize the hitstun time u can get close to 50 something damage.

If u like to combo in the air or keep ur opponent in the air or aerial chase them this should be what u go with. i Like keeping my opponents on the ground cuz i'm a grab ***** lol so i dont particularly use this but as every good smasher knows u take what u can get and work with it so knowing every combo at ur disposable is vital

jtowns

Smash Apprentice
My title isn't a good one. It's not really a new combo, but it's more that I looked into the combo deeper and was thinking of ways to modify it.

poorboy93

Smash Cadet
This Is NOT! a new combo, I think any DECENT kirby player knows this, but thanks for the effort

T-nuts

Smash Ace
another good thing about this combo is that if your opponent knows about it, they will try to airdodge immediately. if done at low percents obviously they cannot airdodge it, but at higher percents your opponent will. and you can easily take advantage of this airdodge by choosing to NOT utilt once you know they will be able to airdodge it, and instead following up with another attack to punish the airdodge.

my favorite way to do this is as follows:

grab-->dthrow-->utilt-->wait for them to airdodge--> grab-->dthrow-->wait for them to airdodge-->usmash.

of course you have to vary what you do to keep your opponent guessing. that second throw could be a forward throw, etc.

whats amazing is, even at higher percents, some opponents CONTINUE to airdodge, even though there is no way in hell you could ever follow up. you can capitalize on this with an upsmash and often score a kill this way. seriously, I get a decent amount of kills this way, and whenever I land a grab at about 45-50% + this is what I try to do because even if you dont get the followup, dthrow is your most damaging throw anyway.

jtowns

Smash Apprentice
"This Is NOT! a new combo, I think any DECENT kirby player knows this, but thanks for the effort"
"It's not really a new combo, but it's more that I looked into the combo deeper and was thinking of ways to modify it."
I can't read either :<

poorboy93

Smash Cadet
"This Is NOT! a new combo, I think any DECENT kirby player knows this, but thanks for the effort"
"It's not really a new combo, but it's more that I looked into the combo deeper and was thinking of ways to modify it."
I can't read either :<
wowww just because you posted like 5 seconds before I did your trying to make me look stupid?. You could HAVE edited YOUR MAIN POST..... :dizzy: wasnt trying to diss you.

jtowns

Smash Apprentice
i posted 10 minutes before, and you shouldn't phrase things so negative or you should expect a negative response. No hard feelings <3 ^_^

TwilightKirby

Smash Ace
this really depends on the style of play u use. Most people kinda know this combo but dont use it due to the fact that other combos make more damage, however, if u've ever tried this on a spacey without spamming the utilt but timing them so that u maximize the hitstun time u can get close to 50 something damage.

If u like to combo in the air or keep ur opponent in the air or aerial chase them this should be what u go with. i Like keeping my opponents on the ground cuz i'm a grab ***** lol so i dont particularly use this but as every good smasher knows u take what u can get and work with it so knowing every combo at ur disposable is vital
Well really I prefer to just start with an utilt on spacies and you can still get around 50 damage by doing like you said timing the utilts. Since each time you hit it gets less knockback and you start off with less knockback if you utilt from 0 you will get around the same damage and can finish with an upsmash or fsmash depending on where they DI (said this before I believe =S)

Really though the fthrow to uair combo is generally a better setup in my opinion, plus some characters I can go into a rising uair chain from fthrows

Oh and bthrow when your back is to the ledge at 0% can lead to inescapable WoP
Or at least on some chars... lol I only did this one time and made it up on the spot. It was a captain falcon player and I bthrowed and moved off the stage while doing bair then just kept following his body with DI and jumps and kept bairing til we were near the bottom left corner of the screen then floated back to safety while he used his upb with no chance of recovery.

But yeah actually dthrow is great when a platform is right above you, but I prefer to just finish an Fthrow>uair chain with a down throw and follow up from there (fastfallers I just chase and grab them every time they land)

Its all just preference really... kirby is versatile and people can come up with lots of different combos on the spot... just learn the properties behind each throw and attack.

jtowns

Smash Apprentice
Well really I prefer to just start with an utilt on spacies and you can still get around 50 damage by doing like you said timing the utilts. Since each time you hit it gets less knockback and you start off with less knockback if you utilt from 0 you will get around the same damage and can finish with an upsmash or fsmash depending on where they DI (said this before I believe =S)

Really though the fthrow to uair combo is generally a better setup in my opinion, plus some characters I can go into a rising uair chain from fthrows

Oh and bthrow when your back is to the ledge at 0% can lead to inescapable WoP
Or at least on some chars... lol I only did this one time and made it up on the spot. It was a captain falcon player and I bthrowed and moved off the stage while doing bair then just kept following his body with DI and jumps and kept bairing til we were near the bottom left corner of the screen then floated back to safety while he used his upb with no chance of recovery.

But yeah actually dthrow is great when a platform is right above you, but I prefer to just finish an Fthrow>uair chain with a down throw and follow up from there (fastfallers I just chase and grab them every time they land)

Its all just preference really... kirby is versatile and people can come up with lots of different combos on the spot... just learn the properties behind each throw and attack.
Best post of the thread so far imo. That's what I intended to do was open up more doors for situations that do happen where you can't fthrow uair.

Tomato Kirby

Smash Ace
I want the percent they can begin to escape, i.e., the highest percent the (character-specific) combo still works. Maybe if you get spare time...

(Wow, I sound like an unappreciative critic. Still, this is good to know.)

I think the title is better suited for "Characters D-Throw to U-Tilt Combo (or String) works On".

I tend use u/d-throw at high percentages and Gonzo combo at low percents. Next up, someone will find out on who the Gonzo Combo works on and up to what percent. The Kirby community would love this.

I think that this information is useful if the Gonzo Combo does not work against certain opponents(Rhyfelwyr claimed Pit is unaffected, for example), then they still could get hit by this.

I will have to add this to my FAQ. Thanks!

jtowns

Smash Apprentice
Actually my next update was going to be %'s. Almost all characters that it is 1 u-tilt with is like 27-30%. Other heavier characters and fast fallers can go for quite a bit though.

jtowns

Smash Apprentice
Sorry it's going to be a bit before I re-update, if anyone wants to look into this I would appreciate it. My wii is going to be gone for awhile :<

kenja0

Smash Apprentice
How about d-throw to u-tilt to Swallow? Works for the most part.
And for spacies you can recycle another d-throw to u-tilt before you Swallow them (provided the spacies are between 0-10% and Wolf's is not started at 0 or else he can fall fast enough to shield it).

If your opponent tries to struggle out of you swallow and you absorb them, they may come out doing an action in the air like an attack or a dodge in which you can pursue with an u-tilt or u-airs, if they come out jumping, then you can't do anything else for the most part.

This move is escapable (not by Fox), but the margin of escape from u-tilt to Swallow is virtually the same from d-throw to u-tilt. Just a thought.

jtowns

Smash Apprentice
that eliminated a ton of damage unless you are in real need of their power. That would work for matches like ROB(And wario for gonzo, rofl). I'm about to be heading home, 6 hour drive blows. I'll update later.

~Gonzo~

Smash Ace
hahahaha on the Wario, u can Utilt once and then inhale in the direction they try and land in. I know on heavier characters Fthrow, Uair, Inhale works

Top Bottom