• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Break the Targets is gone.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
The beloved mode, Break the Targets, is most likely not returning in this iteration of Smash, rather being replaced with Target Blast.

I've truly loved this mode since it's arrival in Smash Bros. 64, and to see it go is saddening. It was probably my favorite Single Player mode, and was incredibly fun.​

Last edited:

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
And replaced with Angry Birds? Yep, this roster is too big. This roster needs a plague...

KingTeo

Smash Apprentice
well with any luck there'll be breakable objects in the stage builder. And with the new freedom you can make your own break the targets stage. Or copy them from previous smash games.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I will miss it too. I think I can see why making one for every character is a bit more difficult. Mii Fighters and Palutena have completely different custom moves, so you can't make a personalized one for them. In addition, making generic Target Tests might not work for similar reasons(but is a decent enough solution). I can't say they're gone for good since DLC modes already exist, and I would love if they were available again for no other reason than to "do it cause they're fun". They don't need to unlock a thing.

In Melee, you had 25 different ones(and a beta one for Sheik). These worked well. They put in 39(although 35 slots) different characters, meaning you need a far higher amount of Target Tests. While I missed them, I fully could understand the idea behind Target Smash. The mistake was making things unlockable by doing it with everyone. :urg: Otherwise, even Target Smash alone would be cool. Alternatively, maybe they could make a Target Test builder, where you can set up any combination of 10 targets. Similar to Stage Builder. You get nothing for it, and that's okay. And to note, I presume they aren't back in the Wii U version and it seems like they showed off as the base on-disc modes. They didn't show off every stage, every item, or every Assist Trophy/Poke Ball though.So there may be more to come.

nuclearneo577

Smash Journeyman
I'm more upset with the reason that it's apparently gone, Target Blast is a decent mode in it's own right, but I don't see why a Angry Birds/Home Run Contest/Break the Targets hybrid had to replace BTT rather then being in the game at the same time. Oh well, somebody is bound to hack it in eventually.
And you did that with my favorite character palette in Brawl that Smash 4 removed, er, ruined by making it much darker. How fitting.

ChrisP4

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Christian.P4
3DS FC
5284-1444-6964
Definitely will miss it. I mean, it's way better then target blast but oh well. There's so much to keep you busy on the Wii U version that I doubt I would've even tried break the targets if it were in!

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Sad how it was downgraded with each installment. Starts off with unique stages for each character, gets reduced to only five different stages across the board, and now it's some hybrid between Break the Targets and Homerun Contest.

I loved Break the Targets, it was probably my favorite sub-mode next to Events, and man did it have potential with 52 different characters (if all Mii Fighters got their own stage + Mewtwo), but I guess that might just be the reason it was cut, it'd have been too much work with such a huge cast.

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
It was the last remnant of the single modes of Smash 64. Kinda sad, but they added a lot to fill the void too.

gamer8

Smash Lord
It's really sad, and I was really looking forward to it being unique to each character like tower of smash said but at least that leak being disproved meant Event Mode is still in the game. I'm really looking forward to that.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Sad how it was downgraded with each installment. Starts off with unique stages for each character, gets reduced to only five different stages across the board, and now it's some hybrid between Break the Targets and Homerun Contest.
With each installment? Melee isn't the first game, man. It was the same in 64 and Melee overall. Brawl reduced it. Smash 4 removed it and replaced it with a different idea.

I loved Break the Targets, it was probably my favorite sub-mode next to Events, and man did it have potential with 52 different characters (if all Mii Fighters got their own stage + Mewtwo), but I guess that might just be the reason it was cut, it'd have been too much work with such a huge cast.
I think that's a fair reason to remove it, but leaving some generic versions would've made sense. Or a Target Test Builder. >_>

Crocovile

Smash Apprentice
I'm gonna miss this so much. It was such a great mode in SSB and Melee, taught you how to use the characters in different ways without directly telling you how to do it.

Though I will miss this part of it the most:

No original theme from Smash has ever topped this IMO, I hated the one from Brawl.

the8thark

Smash Lord
My issue is this:

Break the targets was skill based. if you didn't get a good time, skill would get you a better time.
This new target blast mode feels so RNG (just like angry birds is). You're going to have to get the angles right and hope the blocks fall the right way to destroy the targets.

If target blast was purely skill based like break the targets was I'd be happy. But it's not. And that gets to me.

kaliskonig

Smash Journeyman
I hope we see certain modes as DLC.
This game was almost a 200 out of 10 content wise but it is missing things like:
Target Smash
Adventure
Boss Battle Mode
Race Too the Finish.

I was sure they would show up in the Wii U version because Smash Run has bastardized versions of all of these. I wish we at least got Adventure and Target Smash but oh well I guess.

the8thark

Smash Lord
I hope we see certain modes as DLC.
This game was almost a 200 out of 10 content wise but it is missing things like:
Target Smash
Adventure
Boss Battle Mode
Race Too the Finish.

I was sure they would show up in the Wii U version because Smash Run has *******ized versions of all of these. I wish we at least got Adventure and Target Smash but oh well I guess.
More game modes is entirely possible. Hyrule Warriors DLC will have more game modes and I think SSB4 could do the same with it's DLC.

kaliskonig

Smash Journeyman
More game modes is entirely possible. Hyrule Warriors DLC will have more game modes and I think SSB4 could do the same with it's DLC.
True. Honestly with the quality of Nintendo's DLC this generation (as you said before) anything is possible.
- Fire Emblem had all of those extra scenarios
- Mario Golf had 4? new characters and a ton of new courses and holes
- NSMB U had the Luigi Expansion
- Hyrule Warriors has enough content coming to the point were it could have all been on an "Xtreme Legends" Expansion
- MArio KArt 8 is adding 16 courses 6 new characters and 8 vehicles. Definitely Expansion tier.
- Pikmin 3 has a bunch of additional challenge stages available

With how they already said they are working on the miiverse stage and Online Tourney modes for free I can definitely see the more time consuming elements showing up as DLC. Especially if Break The Targets goes back to the Melee format.

Last edited:

the.tok

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2767-0503-3415
This is my biggest disapointment. Out of 50 reasons, BtT isn't even one of them. That was my favourite mode along with event matches... :-(

the8thark

Smash Lord
True. Honestly with the quality of Nintendo's DLC this generation (as you said before) anything is possible.
- Fire Emblem had all of those extra scenarios
- Mario Golf had 4? new characters and a ton of new courses and holes
- NSMB U had the Luigi Expansion
- Hyrule Warriors has enough content coming to the point were it could have all been on an "Xtreme Legends" Expansion
- MArio KArt 8 is adding 16 courses 6 new characters and 8 vehicles. Definitely Expansion tier.
- Pikmin 3 has a bunch of additional challenge stages available

With how they already said they are working on the miiverse stage and Online Tourney modes for free I can definitely see the more time consuming elements showing up as DLC. Especially if Break The Targets goes back to the Melee format.
This makes me ask one question.

Is this content cut (or not put into) the game's initial release so the games can ship on time. And we pay for the content they had no time or were too slow to make by the release date. Or is this a really finished game with just more content?
My answer is a little bit of both I think. I think Nintendo need to have as few delays as possible so the money can start rolling in and they can fix the bugs after release. (And I do feel there are more noticeable bugs in WiiU games than on previous consoles games).
Hyrule Warriors is basically an expansion. $20 for it.

Whatever you think about what I said above in this post, I agree with you about the DLC content. it's really amazing. SSB4 also has dome DLC too. All of the stuff in the direct that didn't make it in time for the initial release is all DLC. Probably free DLC I think.

Swedish_Otaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Swedish_otaku
Yes it's one mode I'll miss. This and Ice Climbers may be the only real bad thing about Smash 4.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
im sure this target smash is gone sadly :(

nut remember I believe in the direct xander still not everything is shown

so that boss battle thing could be one of them

Evello

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TinyTinyHippo
3DS FC
0473-7825-0053
I'm bummed target smash is gone. It was by and away my favorite stadium event in Brawl. I actually liked Brawl's target smash the best, since you had to get creative with which characters would be best to use. Some of the record times were done with really unusual characters and strategies. Melee's was good, but it seemed a little more like you were trying to figure out how they designed the level to be beaten, and less like you were beating it your own way. And with the Brawl system, they would only have to make ~5 layouts, like Brawl, which I can't imagine would take them too much time. Oh well.

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Literally all they need to do to bring this mode back is have an option in stage builder to make it a target stage, then add a target item. It'd be really easy, especially since they already gave us such utility with stage builder mode. I kinda doubt it will happen, but I'll hope.

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
I'm rather indifferent with break the targets being gone. I mean I barely played the mode in previous instalments so it's difficult for me to care that it's changed. I will admit, having each character have a separate break the target challenge was nice but I understand why they choose not to do it with such a massive roster. Perhaps in the next instalment, the mode will return to what many Smash fans want it to be.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
I would literally pay twenty to thirty dollars for individualized Target Tests to return as DLC and not give it a second thought

Dark Dude

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DudeSean
This makes me ask one question.

Is this content cut (or not put into) the game's initial release so the games can ship on time. And we pay for the content they had no time or were too slow to make by the release date. Or is this a really finished game with just more content?
Well, if not for DLC then the content would have been cut and then maybe would make an appearance in the next game in the series. So it's a "finished" game. As someone who likes to tinker around with making games, I can understand when I've heard some developers say that a game is never truly finished, because there is always more you could add into the game or improve. It just gets to a point where you have to say, "this is it" and release it.

Edit: Oops. I totally forgot to post about the subject this thread is about.

Anyway, I'm definitely going to miss Break the Targets, but honestly, we don't really know for sure if it really is gone or not yet. There could still be more to Smash U than what we've seen. We haven't seen enough menus to know that Break the Targets is officially gone. I don't want go get anyone's hopes up, because it may very well be gone, I'm just saying, it's a little early to be etching an epitaph on a tombstone.

The best case scenario, I think, is if we can make our own Break the Targets stages in Stage Builder. Then missing the actual mode won't be of any concern, because we could make or remake any BtT stage.

Last edited:

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
Unless it's Melee Target Smash then I don't care. Brawl's was extremely dull with their one size fits all versions.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Unless it's Melee/64 Target Smash then I don't care. Brawl's was extremely dull with their one size fits all versions.
This

In my eyes Break the Targets has been gone since Melee. In Brawl I extremely disliked the stages for all characters and the fact items were put into it as well. What made it even more cringeworthy was the fact that there were challenges where you had to complete all 5 levels with every single character. Samurai plz, we don't need those kinds of achievements.

Im sad we aren't getting the mode in general though, but lets be honest they weren't going to make 49-52 unique stages for every character.

Top Bottom