• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawling kirby

Status
Not open for further replies.

san-romanov

Smash Cadet
I don't know if you think the same as me, but i can perceive that in brawl Kirby is going to change for good, and i got that when i saw yesterday's mini movie in Dojo. Did you see Mario flying and Peach and Zelda trapped?? Kirby was the only one who was free to atack. Honestly the first time i played Kirby in Melee i was like WTF and got dissapointed, you know, in SSB he was the gang.

Ah, and also, if kirby hasn't changed from melee I surely practice too much with it jajaj:laugh:, I wouldn't stop playing with kiby, even if it isn't powerful enough.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
From everything shown, it looks like Kirby is going to be relatively left alone. There's a chance they might make his attacks more viable, because unless the speed of the videos were changed, some of his attacks look faster and more useful.

And Swallow/Copy hasn't been shown yet. Let's hoped it's give a boost. A big, big boost. :)

san-romanov

Smash Cadet
Yeeeah you're right man ¡¡ Kirby' swallow hasn't been shown and the stone either, hopefuly they changed the stone jajajaj:laugh: i didn't like it so much, anyway, have you seen the videos of SSB?? I completely forgot them until now, in that game Kirby just moved like a cat jajjaja.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Actually, the Stone was shown in the first video and it appeared to be the same. Doesn't mean they won't suprise us with less lag, jump-canceling it, or just make it so it has the ability to KO under 200%. But I'll just wait to see what changes, if any, they give Stone.

And I don't know what videos you're talking about. Kirby moving like a cat???

mood4food77

Smash Hero
i think kirby will be slightly better, to even him out

but nothing like he was in teh first smash

skellitorman

Smash Journeyman
Maybe thats why we haven't recieved any kirby updates yet except for his picture and knuckle joe. We don't have his move set, final smash, stage, song or even items (besides knuckle joe). Not even meta knight is posted. Think about it. Kirby might be going through a big change.

Also I think they just realized the problem of having metaknight. Same height as kirby, faster, stronger, more reach, same amount of jumps, and probably better moves (like throws that you can't get out in the middle of or useful B moves). I think that kirby might be overshadowed by metaknight unless they really do something that makes kirby different or better.

One can only hope they don't screw kirby over again.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
You're assuming of course that Meta Knight will in fact be faster, stronger, etc. From the looks of it, he seems to be very similar to Kirby, even with that sword.

psykoplympton

Smash Ace
kirby does have "copy abilitys" it says on his character page.

but im gonna go all the way w/ metaknight. kirby + marth= metaknight.

kirbys hammer in the pics looks shorter range, thus easier to sweetspot. he will definatly be better in brawl.

skellitorman

Smash Journeyman
shorter hammer doesn't mean easier to sweetspot. It just now means you have to be closer to hit with which is even harder, especially if the sweetspot is still the tiny mallet, and if it has the huge lag. With a bigger hammer you can be farther away from their attack while attacking with that huge lag but if its going to be small then they will just attack you as you take out the hammer.

And i Don't know what you are talking about T!mmy. From the looks of it he seems to be very similar? First of all we haven't seen much of Metaknight. Second of all, all we have seen are a few of his extremly fast attacks that kirby clearly doesn't compare to and we have seen him multi jumping and it looks like he has better air control. He might not be stronger but he will most likely attack faster than kirby. Metaknight's moves might also be better if they keep Kirby's moves as they are (Like throws and B moves since Kirby has some real crappy moves). If they don't change Kirby, then Metaknight will just end up being better overall.

I hope that I am wrong about Metaknight though, Cause i want Kirby to be different in Brawl.

san-romanov

Smash Cadet
I agree wiht t!mmy, kirby moves very similar to metaknight.

Hey, I got to tell you something I saw today, i download Kirby AT amazing mirror and when you transform into fighter ability you perform the same moves like kirby in SSBM, funny ho? i didnt know it.

Oh, and just for fun, kirby's Final smash hasn't been shown yet, when Mario, pika and link' FS have been seen.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
We've seen quite a few attacks from Meta Knight. His F-air hits three times - like Kirby's - though much quicker; his multi-jab is basically Kirby's but with a sword animation; even Meta Knight's n-air is a clone of Kirby's. In fact, the only difference I've seen is his dash attack and d-air. I'm sure his B-moves will be different, though.

Phyvo

Smash Journeyman
Oh, and just for fun, kirby's Final smash hasn't been shown yet, when Mario, pika and link' FS have been seen.
Not with it's own update, but in one of the videos he cooks Mario. If you've played Kirby and the Amazing Mirror you know what it does... it basically turns all the enemies on the screen into food.

I like it, though the microphone would be really cool too.

psykoplympton

Smash Ace
crash kirby would be a lot sweeter than chef kirby cause it attacks the entire stage.

and you can see all of meta's airials in the movies including bair which hits 3 times aswell.

IC3R

Smash Lord
Kirby's Final Smash is his Cook Ability.

It owns all enemies...Bwahahahahahahah!!!!!!!!!

Crash Kirby is very nice as well...

It makes a big boom...

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Crash Kirby > Cook Kirby, as we all know.

I think Sakurai went with Cook Kirby because it's more humorous, and a lot of what we've seen from Brawl has humor to it.

Banana_Dragon

Smash Journeyman
Well, a bit more speed would be good. And who knows, maybe a slight pinch of more power?
And hopefully, a very de-lagged stone move, because against human players in Melee, it's worthless.
Any upgrade, even a slight one, would benefit every kirby mainer in Brawl... we're used to low tier, so with a boost, that'd makes us more dangerous! Hah!
I remember being used to Kirby in SSB and then playing SSBM <(O_o)>
Man, that sure took some getting used to. (especially because I was one of those final cutter-edge guard spammers :p)
Still wondering if the new game physics will affect wavedash though... If they do, then finally those top tier mainers will face a force to be reckoned with, mwhuahahaha! *ahem*
Short version, yeah, I think Kirby will probably be better in Brawl, probably only slightly, but still better.

nitro-blazer

Smash Lord
What I'm hoping for is, at the very least, more aerial mobility and perhaps some more priority on some of his moves. I can't see Kirby being fast, heavy, or all too strong (Power wise), but the needs something to balance him out. Less lag on the stone (Although i can't see it being too useful even then).

I'm wondering if more aerial mobility would be a boost. Not to jigg's level, but closer. more than he has, at least. Also, if he retains his short crouch, crawling may actually be an asset to him instead of a random thing.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Well, a bit more speed would be good. And who knows, maybe a slight pinch of more power?
I don't think he needs a power boost. Sure, it would be great if I could actually KO someone when I hit them like most characters, but I think Kirby was designed to be a weak character that goes for cheap hits. What he needs in order to pull that off is more mobility and definitely less lag on almost everything.

For instance, the Stone would actually be useful if it had even half as much start-up animation, could be cancelled sooner, and allowed Kirby to attack or Dodge almost immediately after cancelling it. The Hammer's start-up lag is actually fine since it's suppose to be slow and powerful. What makes the move bad is the ending lag makes Kirby vulnerable, and if you don't "tipper" it's not worth hitting. Either make the whole thing a sweetspot, or make a non-tipper stun for a combo or at least as good as a smash attack.

Banana_Dragon

Smash Journeyman
Hmm, you might be right on the "doesn't necessarily need more power" thing. I guess I didn't look at it that way yet. Yeah, now that I think of it, Kirby doesn't look exactly like he's supposed to be "powerful" anyway :p.
More like the cute guy who smiles and says "hiiiiIIIIiii" after he whacked you over the edge with a hammer XD.
I'm training with Kirby every day now since I wanna finally compete in tournaments when Brawl comes around. Even if all I'll do is lose, I just wanna, ya know, "be part of it." Getting together, all playing a shared favorite game. I imagine it must be real fun!
Yeah, more mobility would be nice for kirby... I'm trying to make Kirby by using wavedashing, L-cancelling and shorthopping (things I'm only just starting to learn, bare with me :p) but so far, I'm just not pulling it off... lol
Doesn't mean I give up on hope for an upgrade in Brawl though, hehe. (though, I wouldn't be 'too' dissapointed if he stayed the same)

san-romanov

Smash Cadet
MMM, I agree with timmy, kirby is like a character who does cheap hits. I think the only thing kirby needs is to be faster.

In melee he was slow for falling so he couldn't do a lot of cheap hits because he never got near the opponent. If he were faster in falling, like marth or mario, he could do a lot of cheap hits.

An example: Run across in FD with kirby, and then go jumping to the other side with kirby.You will notice that when kirby is jumping he goes slower than running and this effect doesnt happen with Mario or Jigg, and that makes them to do a lot of combos.

I think :) you already know all of this (I've just been playing melee for only 2 years).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom