• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

BrawlEX+PM Template V.0.2 + Clone Guide

oddzxc

Smash Cadet
So I've been playing around with version 0.5 and I'm experiencing the game crashing in random places all over. And I haven't even tried adding a character yet. Anyone else having any problems with this?
are you using dolphin?

squeakyboots13

Smash Journeyman
No, I'm playing on a console. But I had played this build (http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=211526) previously which used an older version of EX and I had no crashing with that at all. When I tried using v0.5, the game would just randomly crash in places where you wouldn't expect it to. I've even had one instance where I went to change something in the options menu, accidentally went back to title screen, and saw the game crash after I pressed start again.

0.5 just seems really unstable compared to the other build I linked to. I want to know if other people are having similar issues with it or if it's just something wrong with my setup?

Protocol.Tin

Smash Cadet
0.5 just seems really unstable compared to the other build I linked to. I want to know if other people are having similar issues with it or if it's just something wrong with my setup?
As far as I know, it's happened a bit more to me on ocassion actually. Stage selection, changing character palates, even in the middle of character select. No idea why that's the case, suppose I should find a way to use 0.4 again.

DaffierCobra

Smash Cadet
So hey guys can someone please tell me how to add new stages without replacing the ones in pm already.

Like give me the codes, and what to do after I add them

Last edited:

Jmanthesmasher683

Smash Journeyman
Just in case anyone wants to know, the fighter part does not work on mac computers because you need the brawlexconfigutility and even with winebottler it is impossible to use it without it crashing constantly.

I'm not salty! I swear! :mad:

Last edited:

Slasher115

Smash Rookie
Does clones over samus not work? I have tried multiple times to get a Dark Samus in game, but when i click stage selection the game just locks up, I add Goku no problem

TheAmazingMemer

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Faves3000
3DS FC
4940-5681-4585
Is it possible to make a Luigi clone? I didn't see a .rel file for Luigi among the pre-programmed EX .rels for other characters. Does that mean I can just use a normal P:M Luigi .rel, or is it just not possible? Because I saw Luigi files among the config templates, and that makes me wonder...

Yeller1999

Smash Journeyman
Is it possible to make a Luigi clone? I didn't see a .rel file for Luigi among the pre-programmed EX .rels for other characters. Does that mean I can just use a normal P:M Luigi .rel, or is it just not possible? Because I saw Luigi files among the config templates, and that makes me wonder...
It's not possible at the moment not until PyotrLuzhin releases the .rel

SuperWiiFitTrainer64

Smash Cadet
NNID
BrianYauger
3DS FC
2251-5824-0397
If this isn't topic appropriate feel free to remove it, but is it possible for someone to add just 3 characters to the homebrew version of PM for me? I want K. Rool, Ridley and Duck Hunt Dog.

If someone has any extra time I'd really appreciate it. For some reason the program keeps crashing.

Cynapse

Smash Ace
I've had my eye on this lovely little project since it began in January. Figuring it would be bug-ridden for sometime and seeing the amount of new stuff I would have to learn to properly implement into my build, I have so far refrained from diving into it. For now I'm waiting for a solid build with both cBliss and PM+BEx functioning fully to come along so I can snatch and bend it to my will.

Problem is I doubt the roster would be to my liking and I figured I could get another utility out of it in the form of more costumes, so I'm gonna have to learn the damn thing...yay?

My plan is to insert all of the lovely PSA projects floating about here as well as Knux and Lyn, but more importantly to make an Ike duplicate or five in order to have all of his Brawl, PM, Smash 3 and Smash 4 outfits...as well as Cloud when jay gets finished up.

So to begin I'm gonna attempt to create and implement an exact Ike copy/clone/replica/duplicate. On a scale of 1-10, how difficult will this be, dearest community?

jaystring

Smash Ace
I've had my eye on this lovely little project since it began in January. Figuring it would be bug-ridden for sometime and seeing the amount of new stuff I would have to learn to properly implement into my build, I have so far refrained from diving into it. For now I'm waiting for a solid build with both cBliss and PM+BEx functioning fully to come along so I can snatch and bend it to my will.

Problem is I doubt the roster would be to my liking and I figured I could get another utility out of it in the form of more costumes, so I'm gonna have to learn the damn thing...yay?

My plan is to insert all of the lovely PSA projects floating about here as well as Knux and Lyn, but more importantly to make an Ike duplicate or five in order to have all of his Brawl, PM, Smash 3 and Smash 4 outfits...as well as Cloud when jay gets finished up.

So to begin I'm gonna attempt to create and implement an exact Ike copy/clone/replica/duplicate. On a scale of 1-10, how difficult will this be, dearest community?
I'm on the exact same page for this matter.

I've been wanting to do a BEx build since the beginning of the year but figured that it would get patched and stuff so it was better to let others try it out and debug it while I concentrate on bringing new mods.

By the way, has it been confirmed that ondo's CSS a couple of pages earlier fixed the 50 clone slot limit?

I'm asking because Solaris's guide has been updated but he still mentioned that it's limited to 50 slot before having issues.

Thanks!

Solaros

Smash Journeyman
Cynapse Cynapse I wouldn't say difficult, more patience-demanding. But once you get the hang of it, the process just keeps getting quicker!

I'm on the exact same page for this matter.
By the way, has it been confirmed that ondo's CSS a couple of pages earlier fixed the 50 clone slot limit?

I'm asking because Solaris's guide has been updated but he still mentioned that it's limited to 50 slot before having issues.

Thanks!
I haven't tried Ondo's CSS (and don't know anyone who has with PMeX), but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

jaystring

Smash Ace
Cynapse Cynapse I wouldn't say difficult, more patience-demanding. But once you get the hang of it, the process just keeps getting quicker!

I haven't tried Ondo's CSS (and don't know anyone who has with PMeX), but I don't see why it wouldn't work.
all right! thanks for the info!!

I'll definitely try his CSS once I start my build

Cynapse

Smash Ace
So I'm not at all familiar with this, but I just spent 4 hours trying to install a single Ike clone only to have the CSS icon not even show up before getting a freeze after hovering over where it should have been. (right next to Ike) I blame v0.5. 99% sure I did everything right, and I don't see why Ridley and Waluigi have to be in there. At all.

If you're going to have us download a ton of stuff and read through an entire encyclopedia of seriously confusing sh*t, at least make the base build that we're working with 100% clean? No new characters already installed, no PM 3.61 portraits, nothing. Just a vanilla PM 3.6. Then I could be absolutely sure that the failure is on my end.

Solaros

Smash Journeyman
So I'm not at all familiar with this, but I just spent 4 hours trying to install a single Ike clone only to have the CSS icon not even show up before getting a freeze after hovering over where it should have been. (right next to Ike) I blame v0.5. 99% sure I did everything right, and I don't see why Ridley and Waluigi have to be in there. At all.

If you're going to have us download a ton of stuff and read through an entire encyclopedia of seriously confusing sh*t, at least make the base build that we're working with 100% clean? No new characters already installed, no PM 3.61 portraits, nothing. Just a vanilla PM 3.6. Then I could be absolutely sure that the failure is on my end.
Hi, sorry to hear that. The guide covers everything that needs to be covered, nothing more or less. I can either point you towards the troubleshooting section (which I assume you've read already) or you can send me your build and I'll diagnose the issue. People have been using v0.5 fine, and your issue is a common one. (I've had it myself.)

PMeX uses vanilla PM 3.6 as a base. The download link for PMeX (provided by Pyotr), already includes Waluigi and Ridley. Of course you don't need to use them but they're good reference when adding a character. So take a breather, cause you're already almost done adding a clone!

Cynapse

Smash Ace
PMeX uses vanilla PM 3.6 as a base. The download link for PMeX (provided by Pyotr), already includes Waluigi and Ridley. Of course you don't need to use them but they're good reference when adding a character. So take a breather, cause you're already almost done adding a clone!
So I dumped out my bucket of salt and found that whatever I was doing was wrong. For some reason I did the CSP and CSS bit in the 3.61 sc_selcharacter...I have no idea how. Made the fix and...
00000000-9.png
Works perfectly aside from the extra 10th slot. Want it gone but I'm burnt out on hex for the day.

Edit: Where's Waluigi?

Last edited:

SylveonGives

Smash Journeyman
So I dumped out my bucket of salt and found that whatever I was doing was wrong. For some reason I did the CSP and CSS bit in the 3.61 sc_selcharacter...I have no idea how. Made the fix and...
Works perfectly aside from the extra 10th slot. Want it gone but I'm burnt out on hex for the day.

Edit: Where's Waluigi?
You have to add Waluigi, he's missing a few files though and his module is the wrong one. You can add him to your Roster by adding 60 to CSSRoster.dat but you'll have to add the missing files yourself. As for the module, use the Pit EXModule and rename it to ft_waluigi.rel

jaystring

Smash Ace
All right so, I was going to start my own build using v0.5 but I decided to test out the vanilla build first before passing time to customize it

I was essentially trying to break it/make it crash to see how stable it was. I figured Kirby's copy ability had a good potential to be an issues

and I was right, eventually, I managed to find a bug which crash to me almost 100% of the time.

basically,

1) start a match with Kirby and Ridley (random stage). eat ridley 3-4 time. exit the match
2) start a match with Kirby and Pit in Pirate Ship (seem to crach more frequently on that stage).
3) Eat Pit and as soon as you try to shoot an arrow with the copy ability, it will freeze

On rare occasion it doesn't freeze but if I try again, eventually i'll freeze (I've crash everytime i've tried, even if it's not on first try)

Does the issues happen to anyone else!? Anybody knows what's going on!? i'm playing on dolphin.

On the subject of Kirby, isn't there any way to deactive his copy ability!? I feel like he might cause tons of issues with clone so I wouldn't mind loosing it in favor of tons of clones/PSA.

Also, I think this is known but I just wanted to know why it's like this : why doesn't Ridley have his own sound and use Pit's soundbank!?

Thanks!!

Edit : Tried V0.3 and has the crash as well with the same repro steps.

Last edited:

Strange Matter

Smash Rookie
Also, I think this is known but I just wanted to know why it's like this : why doesn't Ridley have his own sound and use Pit's soundbank!?
That's because he was originally made over Pit before BrawlEx was compatible with PM, so he came with files to replace Pit's own SFX. I was working on editing his PSA to use the boss Ridley's sound bank a while back and never finished, but I'll upload it if I ever do. Unfortunately, SFX editing is pretty much the most annoying and tedious part of hacking Brawl, in my opinion.

Solaros

Smash Journeyman
J jaystring Kirby's pretty buggy with clones, so I would ask PyotrLuzhin about the Kirby clone hats. What I did was just remove him from the CSS, but I can look at another way to disable his copy ability.

That's because he was originally made over Pit before BrawlEx was compatible with PM, so he came with files to replace Pit's own SFX. I was working on editing his PSA to use the boss Ridley's sound bank a while back and never finished, but I'll upload it if I ever do.
I remember someone in the Ridley thread sharing a download with a different soundbank for Ridley (so that he can be used alongside Pit). If you don't beat me to it I could lurk around for that.

Unfortunately, SFX editing is pretty much the most annoying and tedious part of hacking Brawl, in my opinion.
Lol, you could say that again.

Last edited:

jaystring

Smash Ace
J jaystring Kirby's pretty buggy with clones, so I would ask PyotrLuzhin about the Kirby clone hats. What I did was just remove him from the CSS, but I can look at another way to disable his copy ability.
hum yeah, removing Kirby is a bit extreme as a solution. If I knew how to do it, I would instead try to modifie his B move to either do something else or simply edit it to do exactly like what happen when you eat Ridley for all characters : he doesn't receive any ability but inflict some damage to ridley.

I'll ask PyotrLuzhin if he has any idea/suggestion about that. I would love to fix this myself as i'm pretty annoyed by hard crash but move editing is beyond my ability at the moment.

That's because he was originally made over Pit before BrawlEx was compatible with PM, so he came with files to replace Pit's own SFX. I was working on editing his PSA to use the boss Ridley's sound bank a while back and never finished, but I'll upload it if I ever do. Unfortunately, SFX editing is pretty much the most annoying and tedious part of hacking Brawl, in my opinion.
Thanks for the info! I've never done SFX editing yet but I might try if I can figure out how to do it and no one is willing to fix Ridley. I don't mind the "annoying and tedious part" that much. I do enough of these in brawlbox when I import new models lol.

HypnotizeOverdrive

Smash Ace
NNID
HypnoOverdrive
J jaystring A solution is to configure every clone you make to not give Kirby abilities when he eats them. That can be done by modifying each clone's FighterConfig in BrawlEx Config Utility so that the Kirby section is set to None. It's a temporary solution until someone can fix Kirby to load abilities from clones.

jaystring

Smash Ace
J jaystring A solution is to configure every clone you make to not give Kirby abilities when he eats them. That can be done by modifying each clone's FighterConfig in BrawlEx Config Utility so that the Kirby section is set to None. It's a temporary solution until someone can fix Kirby to load abilities from clones.
can it be done to Pit!? which is not a Clone fighter. because he's the one causing the crash.

I'm guessing Ridley must be set that way already too since he doesn't give kirby any abilities (I can't verify right now as i'm not at home).

but it still makes the game crash so hum if for exemple I clone mario and try the same thing with mario and "cloned mario", I might end up with a crash as well even if he's set to "None"?! maybe?

HypnotizeOverdrive

Smash Ace
NNID
HypnoOverdrive
can it be done to Pit!? which is not a Clone fighter. because he's the one causing the crash.

I'm guessing Ridley must be set that way already too since he doesn't give kirby any abilities (I can't verify right now as i'm not at home).

but it still makes the game crash so hum if for exemple I clone mario and try the same thing with mario and "cloned mario", I might end up with a crash as well even if he's set to "None"?! maybe?
Actually it's possible to set for both the normal roster and clones, but Pit causing crashes upon being eaten is not something I have ever heard of. That's odd. Ridley probably should be set that way in 0.5, I'm not entirely sure though since I use my own config files for my clones, Ridley included.

So basically you shouldn't wind up with crashes if you leave the normal roster alone and set the clones' Kirby hat config to None. Maybe try replacing the Pit Kirby hat files in your build, if there are some in Kirby's fighter folder?

jaystring

Smash Ace
Actually it's possible to set for both the normal roster and clones, but Pit causing crashes upon being eaten is not something I have ever heard of. That's odd. Ridley probably should be set that way in 0.5, I'm not entirely sure though since I use my own config files for my clones, Ridley included.

So basically you shouldn't wind up with crashes if you leave the normal roster alone and set the clones' Kirby hat config to None. Maybe try replacing the Pit Kirby hat files in your build, if there are some in Kirby's fighter folder?
It's the arrow that make the game crash, not the hat itself

It will freeze as soon as you try shooting the arrow with Kirby.

It's definitively related to Ridley/Pit files I think. must be something when kirby try to load the FX or models from the "arrow move"

have you tried the repro step in your build to see if you have the crash?

I've crashed 3 build yesterday with the same steps :

Vanilla BEx 0.5
Vanilla BEx 0.3
ALM5252's build from brawlvault.

HypnotizeOverdrive

Smash Ace
NNID
HypnoOverdrive
It's the arrow that make the game crash, not the hat itself

It will freeze as soon as you try shooting the arrow with Kirby.

It's definitively related to Ridley/Pit files I think. must be something when kirby try to load the FX or models from the "arrow move"

have you tried the repro step in your build to see if you have the crash?

I've crashed 3 build yesterday with the same steps :

Vanilla BEx 0.5
Vanilla BEx 0.3
ALM5252's build from brawlvault.
I haven't tried reproducing it, no, but if it's happened across three builds it'd definitely a new issue to me. Looks like something Pyotr might want to look into.

Cynapse

Smash Ace
Bug report. The three additional Dry Giga slots don't have any menu assets installed.

Which reminds me. What would I have to do get Giga and WM on the CSS? The characters already exist, so I doubt I'd have to fiddle with any configs, right?

LiveWire-93

Smash Cadet
Every PMeX download includes some clones. It's easy to leave them be and use them as reference when adding a clone.
ok but I could care less for ridley I just want the dev build characters and waluigi. but my problem is that the dev build characters, mewtwo, and roy all have waluigi's CSP. And shortly after it crashes. How do I fix that?

LiveWire-93

Smash Cadet
I can't my stupid Ipod wont let me select photos on here Hold up, Here:

Last edited:
Top Bottom