• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

BrawlBuilder - The Ultimate SSBB ISO Builder

Russell_SSB

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MrRussellgro
3DS FC
0662-7159-3567
Switch FC
SW-3345-3263-9133
Can this also work if you place the ISO you made on a disk? You know, just to play on it for fun?

person66

Smash Cadet
Can this also work if you place the ISO you made on a disk? You know, just to play on it for fun?
I haven't tested that, but I don't see why it wouldn't work, assuming you have set your wii up to read burned discs

Kirbeast

Smash Cadet
Is there any way to make this work with custom builds that have ASL and CBLISS?

Dr. Boom

Smash Rookie
I don't understand this. I need help. I put a brawl iso into the builder it built it I opened the file and put it in my usb for USBLoaderGX but it said the file was to big for the device or something like that. I don't understand what to do or how this works. Help pls ;-;

person66

Smash Cadet
I don't understand this. I need help. I put a brawl iso into the builder it built it I opened the file and put it in my usb for USBLoaderGX but it said the file was to big for the device or something like that. I don't understand what to do or how this works. Help pls ;-;
is your drive formatted as fat32? Cause if it is then it won't be able to store files larger than 4GB. When choosing where to save the ISO in BrawlBuilder, change the format from ISO to WBFS. Then BrawlBuilder will ask if you want to split the files into 4GB chunks. Do that, and you should get two files. Copy both of them to the USB and you should be good to go.

tallpr24

Smash Rookie
dr. boom, use wii backup manager to transfer the file to your fat 32 drive, i did and it works perfect

person66

Smash Cadet
how can i build an iso with more characters?
Create a version of P:M (or whatever) with more characters then use the tool to make it an ISO and see if it works?
person66 Does BrawlBuilder work with Legacy 1.3?
No, not at the moment. I might come back to this one day when I have some free time and feel like it and see if I can make it work. Alternatively anyone that knows how gecko codes work can mess with the CodePatches.txt file in the BrawlBuilder's resources folder and see if they can get it to work. I just use Dolphin's debug mode to try to figure out what codes in the gct are causing problems and then create patches and add them to the CodePatches.txt file. So far I haven't been able to figure out exactly what codes Legacy is using that cause problems.

Dr. Boom

Smash Rookie
is your drive formatted as fat32? Cause if it is then it won't be able to store files larger than 4GB. When choosing where to save the ISO in BrawlBuilder, change the format from ISO to WBFS. Then BrawlBuilder will ask if you want to split the files into 4GB chunks. Do that, and you should get two files. Copy both of them to the USB and you should be good to go.
I changed the format to WBFS and I selected yes to make two files but it didn't make two files just one and that one didn't work either. Do I need the GCT file and the PM mod thing in the second option down in the BrawlBuilder menu? Also what is that is that just the PM files or something completely different? And is this program only for making ISOs that run project m from launch or can I run brawl from launch then Project M with an ISO I've made?
dr. boom, use wii backup manager to transfer the file to your fat 32 drive, i did and it works perfect
This didn't work either.

person66

Smash Cadet
I changed the format to WBFS and I selected yes to make two files but it didn't make two files just one and that one didn't work either. Do I need the GCT file and the PM mod thing in the second option down in the BrawlBuilder menu? Also what is that is that just the PM files or something completely different? And is this program only for making ISOs that run project m from launch or can I run brawl from launch then Project M with an ISO I've made?

This didn't work either.
Using wii backup manager definately should have worked if the first method didn't... How big is the file that BrawlBuilder is making? Also I don't understand what you are asking... This program makes an ISO with Project M (or whatever other mod) built in. To do this you have to select the folder with the mod files, as well as a gct containing all the codes used by the mod (if it has one). If you want a plain Brawl ISO, well.. you already have one, I mean you need one for this program to work, so what are you trying to do?

tallpr24

Smash Rookie

This didn't work either.
creat your drive as fat 32 with 64kb cluster size, simply use wii back up manager to transfer the file to your fat32 drive, wii back up manager will transfer it, you wont have to split the original iso. try it, this is the way i have always done, just did one last night.

tallpr24

Smash Rookie
you want fat 32 because is the only format that works with gamecube games, it give you the option to use gamecube if you want in the future

person66

Smash Cadet
but how do i build a pm with more characters?
I don't know, that's way off topic, this tool doesn't magically add more characters for you. First figure out how to customize your P:M build with more characters, just using regular PM with an SD card. If you get that working, then you can try using this tool to create an ISO if that's what you want. But please stop asking off topic questions in this thread. If you have tried looking for an answer and still cant find anything, then make a new thread, you're more likely to get help that way.

Last edited:

tallpr24

Smash Rookie
sorry , didntd realize this was off topic, im trying to use the tool to create pm iso , but i thought pm had all characters, i guess i got that wrong lol

IFerPe01

Smash Cadet
I dunno if someone can answer (maybe person66 person66 ?)but I have some problems:
I patched my ssbb (ntsc, 7-8gb) with Project M (which has the Smash 3 recolor pack) and it worked BUT it froze when:
-I went to the control config (I always disable tab-jump on every control)
-When choosing Mewtwo/Roy, but in this case, things get bad.
I tested it on dolphin and it works absolutely perfect: http://imgur.com/a/4d3x9 (That is how it is supposed to look like)
But on my wii instead of the css being in PM order, it was in Brawl order (for example, in PM Luigi is besides Mario and in Brawl he is below), but with the smash 3 recolors being fine. (choosing Mewtwo makes the announccer say "Pokemon Trainer") Everything else (that I tested) was fine, my music menu was fine. EDIT: My Music also had Brawl's layout.
My SD It's 8gb and FAT32 (runs Nintendont fine too), both my wii and ssbb iso are ntsc and I used wii backup manager and USB loader gx before.

Last edited:

tallpr24

Smash Rookie
new here, but how do i create a new post about my issue? i canf find any where on this site where i can create a new post.

Kbra

Smash Rookie
Yo Person666 when i made the ISO and selected the option to remove the sub space emmisary, i think it removed the alternate stages too, now it weights 3.62 GB which is great, but everytime i press L button on stage select screen, it loads the normal stages not the alternate ones.

person66

Smash Cadet
Yo Person666 when i made the ISO and selected the option to remove the sub space emmisary, i think it removed the alternate stages too, now it weights 3.62 GB which is great, but everytime i press L button on stage select screen, it loads the normal stages not the alternate ones.
That option wont affect any alternate stage files. Does it work if you don't remove subspace? You are pressing and holding L as the stage loads?

Kbra

Smash Rookie
That option wont affect any alternate stage files. Does it work if you don't remove subspace? You are pressing and holding L as the stage loads?
ok so its actualyy not working neither with the normal version and without the subspace emmisary, and yeah i tried all combinations, im pressing L and nope, no alternate stages.

TheMarioMaster128

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW 3571 7701 7810
Hi all, this started as a little project to make a GUI version of all those Brawl ISO mod builder scripts floating around, but when I found out Project M 3.6 and beyond don't really work right, I started to look into why that is, and attempted to fix it. There is definitely still work to do on this, but I'm releasing it because I've been working on it for quite a while and it now mostly works :p

Anyway, without further ado, I announce,

Screenshot:

So, this is BrawlBuilder, a GUI to build modded Brawl ISO images. It is compatible with many Brawl mods, though definitely not all. It for sure works with all version of Project M (yes, even 3.6), and even some custom builds, such as Psycho Ghost's 3.6 build. (Legacy M 1.21, however, is not currently working).

The main selling point of this, imo, is that it works with alternate stages, as well as the replacement soundbank engine. That means that any .sawnd files you have in your sfx folder will work properly, as well as any alternate stages you have! Amazing!

Also, there are a few extras features included, free of charge! You can remove the Subspace Emissary from the output image, reducing the size by a few GB. You can also change the game ID and title, as well as specify a custom banner file.

Unfortunately it's not all good news, there are currently some problems. Any mods that make use of BrawlEx don't seem to run (I don't know for sure that it is BrawlEx causing the problems, just a guess). That means recent versions of Brawl- don't currently work, although I am working on it. Also, like I said, not all Project M builds work. Legacy M, for example, does not. Hopefully this can be fixed in the future.

Anyway, I guess I should give you all a download link. Oh also, I suppose I should mention that this is all open source. Yay!

Downloads:
Releases: https://github.com/mogzol/BrawlBuilder/releases
Source code, credits, and additional info: https://github.com/mogzol/BrawlBuilder

1.2.2:
- Fix custom working directories not working (again)

1.2.1:
- Remove the BrawlBuilder.exe.config file
- Fix 'Custom banner' browse button appearance for certain Windows versions/themes

1.2:
- Fix some stages glitching/crashing due to improper .rel files

1.1.2:
- Fix BrawlBuilder not working with custom working directories

1.1.1:
- Fix 'wit exited with error code -1' happening with almost every build for some people
- Add 'Finalizing...' status at end of build so it doesn't seem like build is frozen at 99%

1.1:
- Improve error messages, most of them should now actually be somewhat helpful
- Fix "Build Completed" sometimes appearing even if the build did not complete properly
- Add the --show-wit-debug option to show wit windows and keep them open after wit closes
- Modify the help text for the Brawl ISO to clarify how the ssbb.d folder works
- Fix crash if building with no GCT selected
- Other code cleanup and misc. fixes

1.0:
- Initial release

IMPORTANT INFO: Some people are having issues with this right now. The most common culprit seems to be unclean Brawl rips that wit doesn't like. You can verify your ISO by using something like this to calculate the sha1 and md5 hashes, which should match one of the sets of hashes on the bottom of this page. If they don't then you should try re-ripping, or re-obtaining your Brawl ISO. Additionally, as of version 1.1, you can launch BrawlBuilder with the --show-wit-debug option to view the actual wit windows, and keep them open after wit exits. This can be very helpful if something is going wrong and you can't figure out why.

And that is pretty much it. This is my first time releasing anything on these forums, so any feedback would be greatly appreciated! :)
Doesn't Work With Project M EX either its fine though

dingding22

Smash Rookie
dont work for me,i just got this error

|! wit: ERROR #16 [INVALID WII PARTITION] in wd_check_part_offset() @ src/libwbfs/wiidisc.c#1961
!! Partition 0 [DATA]: End of data (0x1da550000) behind end of file
!! (0x118240000): /cygdrive/c/Users/Admin/Documents/Dolphin Emulator/Wii
!! Games/SSBB.iso

person66

Smash Cadet
dont work for me,i just got this error

|! wit: ERROR #16 [INVALID WII PARTITION] in wd_check_part_offset() @ src/libwbfs/wiidisc.c#1961
!! Partition 0 [DATA]: End of data (0x1da550000) behind end of file
!! (0x118240000): /cygdrive/c/Users/Admin/Documents/Dolphin Emulator/Wii
!! Games/SSBB.iso
Sounds like it could be a problem with your brawl image. You should check that the checksums for the image match one of the known good brawl dumps, you can read the "important note" at the bottom of my first post for more info.

Flightless_SSB

Smash Rookie
Super dumb question, but im having a difficult time just finding the right file to get it to run. Ive searched each file, and i cant seem to find a file to run to open the program lol

person66

Smash Cadet
Last edited:

Eggowaffles

Smash Rookie
Do you happen to have a tutorial on how to use your builder? I have no idea how this works or where to start. Thank you!

Adam Killam

Smash Rookie
Any ISOs I build with this ISO builder load slowly. Example, when I go to the CSS it loads a few seconds later than usual. How can I fix this?

hochin

Smash Cadet
Sorry to nag about this, but is it possible to patch just the ASL code to read its stage files from iso?

Fernando51

Smash Rookie
This've been working just fine, awesome work! But I came across a problem... I built an ISO using vanilla Brawl and my personal project m 3.6 folder (it has Smash 3 on it) It's working perfectly on dolphin , but it won't even boot in a real Wii (even with hooktype set to none and ocarina turned off). I know it should work because it did when I loaded it using Gecko OS / PM Launcher (and it is working on dolphin). Any ideas?

Last edited:

FGUG2021

Smash Rookie
There seems to be a problem with it or rather a suggestion. If I want to build an ISO for say the Project M 3.5 Classic Expansion Pack (the original), the pack comes with a "Codeset.txt" however the current BrawlBuilder does not have an option for "Codeset" files, so the only thing that gets injected into the iso is the gct. Is it recommended I take the codes from the codeset file and add them to the gct, or should I wait for the next release to have a Codeset option for people who wanna make an iso of the classic stage expansion packs?

xAce

Smash Rookie
Any support for Super Smash Bros. Infinite? It builds correctly up until the last point of deleting the ssbb.d folder. "Access to the path 'FitCirnoEntry.pak' is denied." I ran as administrator thrice, and still nothing.

Edit: It also doesn't convert to WBFS. Just quits the application with "Failed to convert."

Last edited:

Mr. Moo

Smash Rookie
Hi all, this started as a little project to make a GUI version of all those Brawl ISO mod builder scripts floating around, but when I found out Project M 3.6 and beyond don't really work right, I started to look into why that is, and attempted to fix it. There is definitely still work to do on this, but I'm releasing it because I've been working on it for quite a while and it now mostly works :p

Anyway, without further ado, I announce,

Screenshot:

So, this is BrawlBuilder, a GUI to build modded Brawl ISO images. It is compatible with many Brawl mods, though definitely not all. It for sure works with all version of Project M (yes, even 3.6), and even some custom builds, such as Psycho Ghost's 3.6 build. (Legacy M 1.21, however, is not currently working).

The main selling point of this, imo, is that it works with alternate stages, as well as the replacement soundbank engine. That means that any .sawnd files you have in your sfx folder will work properly, as well as any alternate stages you have! Amazing!

Also, there are a few extras features included, free of charge! You can remove the Subspace Emissary from the output image, reducing the size by a few GB. You can also change the game ID and title, as well as specify a custom banner file.

Unfortunately it's not all good news, there are currently some problems. Any mods that make use of BrawlEx don't seem to run (I don't know for sure that it is BrawlEx causing the problems, just a guess). That means recent versions of Brawl- don't currently work, although I am working on it. Also, like I said, not all Project M builds work. Legacy M, for example, does not. Hopefully this can be fixed in the future.

Anyway, I guess I should give you all a download link. Oh also, I suppose I should mention that this is all open source. Yay!

Downloads:
Releases: https://github.com/mogzol/BrawlBuilder/releases
Source code, credits, and additional info: https://github.com/mogzol/BrawlBuilder

1.2.2:
- Fix custom working directories not working (again)

1.2.1:
- Remove the BrawlBuilder.exe.config file
- Fix 'Custom banner' browse button appearance for certain Windows versions/themes

1.2:
- Fix some stages glitching/crashing due to improper .rel files

1.1.2:
- Fix BrawlBuilder not working with custom working directories

1.1.1:
- Fix 'wit exited with error code -1' happening with almost every build for some people
- Add 'Finalizing...' status at end of build so it doesn't seem like build is frozen at 99%

1.1:
- Improve error messages, most of them should now actually be somewhat helpful
- Fix "Build Completed" sometimes appearing even if the build did not complete properly
- Add the --show-wit-debug option to show wit windows and keep them open after wit closes
- Modify the help text for the Brawl ISO to clarify how the ssbb.d folder works
- Fix crash if building with no GCT selected
- Other code cleanup and misc. fixes

1.0:
- Initial release

IMPORTANT INFO: Some people are having issues with this right now. The most common culprit seems to be unclean Brawl rips that wit doesn't like. You can verify your ISO by using something like this to calculate the sha1 and md5 hashes, which should match one of the sets of hashes on the bottom of this page. If they don't then you should try re-ripping, or re-obtaining your Brawl ISO. Additionally, as of version 1.1, you can launch BrawlBuilder with the --show-wit-debug option to view the actual wit windows, and keep them open after wit exits. This can be very helpful if something is going wrong and you can't figure out why.

And that is pretty much it. This is my first time releasing anything on these forums, so any feedback would be greatly appreciated! :)
Do you think there will be a way to build an ISO of Legacy XP or Smash Bros. Infinite?

Top Bottom