• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl+ Sheik

Munas

Smash Cadet
I don't see any threads for discussing character strategies and that kind of thing and I feel one large thread for all characters doesn't have the focus of individual threads. How are people finding Sheik with the Brawl+ codes?

How is the tilt lock viewed? Is it legit or is it best not used? What kind of set ups do you like to use as Sheik?

Does Sheik still have trouble outright killing like she did in normal Brawl and is she still a character that's all about gimping?

In Brawl there was a lot of people who switched to Zelda for the kill are there still people who like to do this or has Brawl+ lessened the need by making each better stand alone characters?

I have been using her tilt lock at least a bit, though I'm not sure about it (hence my asking). One thing I find is opponents tend to watch for the forward tilt making it hard to land: one good set up is just hit them with a dash attack, at lower percents you should be able to forward tilt quick enough to catch them before they are out of range and dash attack can certainly be easier to hit with than forward tilt.

I've been watching some Brawl+ videos on youtube and some things I've noticed is that a lot of people rely on the jab too much and end up getting punished for it. I've seen a lot of forward tilt to jab combos where the opponent often has time to react and shield or just get out of the way and punish the Sheik. In that situation I'd usually much rather fair or nair and depending on DI hyphen smash.

Which brings me to my next point: Watch Brawl+ videos on Youtube I don't see a whole lot of people making good use of her up smash witch I think is probably her most reliable kill move. At high percents I frequently see people dash attack when a hyphen smash would probably just kill their opponent outright. I also see people resort to her down smash a lot which seems much less effective to me in Brawl+ than it was in standard Brawl. Her down smash is still a solid get away from me move, however it doesn't really combo well and it doesn't kill as early as up smash or side smash. If you just need some breathing room, sure it works, but it has enough knockback and takes long enough to resolve that usually the opponent is back on their feet and ready to fight before you can chase them down. So why would you want to use this and hit them for maybe 11% or so when you can do any number of other things to combo them for, in all likelihood, more than 11% or so. I think this style of play is a left over reflex from Brawl where Sheik had to use it a lot as a punishment move. Now that there is reason to be offensive in Brawl+ it's just not as useful to keep using a get away from me move that can't be followed up.

Munas

Smash Cadet
It'll take over a year for that series of threads to get through the entire cast, not really willing to wait that long. Also, that thread seems more directed at "what do you like about him? Are the change we've made using the Brawl+ codeset alright? What changes would you like to see made to Bowser?".

The intent of this thread is to discuss character strategy and playing as Sheik, the dos and don'ts, much like the character specific boards for normal Brawl, but on a smaller scale. Also, I assume threads which have specific inquiries are alright, such as: "If I were playing Link against Falco, how much of a projectile game would I want to play in Brawl+?" and if you'll note, in the original post there are several specific inquiries.

No hostility intended, and if this thread is indeed unnecessary please remove it, though I believe it serves a different purpose than the other thread.

Almas

Smash Lord
Okay, I'm going to let this thread live for now because for the moment, there's nowhere better to place this. There's still an ongoing discussion as to where threads like this should be located (since some people do not view them as suitable for the Brawl character boards), but a resolution should be available soon.

However, I'd like to advise y'all that I'll be keeping my eye on this to make sure it stays within control. I'd also prefer if new character threads weren't made - lest we have an overflow of them clogging up this board which is also intended to serve other purposes.

The thread about Bowser is run by the Brawlplusery, trying to gauge the best changes in order to ensure we balance out the cast well (as well as ensure the community can remain fully involved).

I wouldn't worry about Sheik's Ftilt lock. Soon it will be altered so that it is still a very combo-friendly move, but without the locking properties it currently has (except for very specific circumstances). After this change, we'll probably keep an eye on Sheik to ensure she is still a powerful character, as the Ftilt lock is a reasonable portion of her game, so we can't be sure how she'll fare without it.

D

Deleted member

Which brings me to my next point: Watch Brawl+ videos on Youtube I don't see a whole lot of people making good use of her up smash witch I think is probably her most reliable kill move. At high percents I frequently see people dash attack when a hyphen smash would probably just kill their opponent outright.
Hyphen smash? why not a DACUS?

Munas

Smash Cadet
Even if you can execute the DACUS consistently why risk it if in most situations hyphen smash works just as well? Unless they're across the stage or your going for a moment of surprise most situations I find the hyphen smash works well enough, though the DACUS is certainly useful (if difficult to pull of consistently).

Also, you hardly need to tip with the upsmash for it to be a kill move, it kills pretty well even if you just hit them while standing beside them.

CloneHat

Smash Champion
Even if you can execute the DACUS consistently why risk it if in most situations hyphen smash works just as well? Unless they're across the stage or your going for a moment of surprise most situations I find the hyphen smash works well enough, though the DACUS is certainly useful (if difficult to pull of consistently).

Also, you hardly need to tip with the upsmash for it to be a kill move, it kills pretty well even if you just hit them while standing beside them.
Tipping is better for killing, but beside them it does 29%.

Munas

Smash Cadet
Tipping is better for killing, but beside them it does 29%.
Fully charged smashes are also better for killing, but the standard up smash gets the job done better than most of Sheiks moves was my point. Although yes, I agree if you can land a tipped upsmash do it.

Edit: Tnemrot what controller lay out do you use?

Jiangjunizzy

Smash Lord
I think sheik's relatively difficult ability to KO is what keeps her balanced and fun to play as. She fills the niche of a gimping type of character, which I believe suits her well.

Clever_Sleazoid

Smash Apprentice
I like Shiek right now. Her ftilt needs fixing though, but it won't hurt her much as you can just ftilt to any other move to another ftilt and repeat instead of ftilt ftilt ftilt ftilt.

Killing is hard though, yes.

CloneHat

Smash Champion
I think sheik's relatively difficult ability to KO is what keeps her balanced and fun to play as. She fills the niche of a gimping type of character, which I believe suits her well.
Exactly. Just make it slightly harder for her to take you from 0-80% (ftilt nerf)

Munas

Smash Cadet
In case it seemed unclear: I don't find it difficult to kill with Sheik, my point in the beginning was that the change seems to have made her a more efficient killer.

Top Bottom