• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl roster assumptions

xbrinkx

Smash Ace
Alright, it's time I said it. I think assumptions about Brawl's roster shouldn't be taken to heart. Everyone has the mindset that there will be over 40 characters for Brawl. There is no way anyone can know the size of the roster. There may be several arguments, but no one can or should know how many are in. C'mon people, just because this game has been in development twice as long does not mean in any way that Brawl will have twice as many characters. They have many other things in this game, although I'm not saying characters don't take top/high priority. It's just that this game has too many expectations because of assumptions. I am not saying Brawl won't have a lot of characters, I'm just saying that don't get your hopes high from how many you think there will be. I really don't want this game to turn out worse than people expect because of assuming more characters than there are. Also, saying that all of the characters on the Dojo are starters is one of the worst assumptions for expectation. If you are going to try against this then at least give some hard arguments to strike back. Don't just make this a flame fest. All I wanted was to make a notice of this. I hope there will be a lot of characters in Brawl, but don't expect it.

Hippochinfat

Smash Ace
Brawl has more then double the time, it has nearly triple the time and more then DOUBLE the amount of staff.

Besides most people on these forums are all like "liol brawl prollu gun have liek 28-37 charatca at da most"

Your arguement fails.

shadowyoshi2345

Smash Journeyman
i hope there is at least 40

but i think with all this extra time to ponder and speculate, no one will be completely satisified with the final product because their expectations are too high, when it still will probably be an amazing game

also i believe that any character that was in the demo's at E for All and Jumpfesta will be on the starting roster

xbrinkx

Smash Ace
There will be many secret characters, and there are over 20 starters. Melee has 11 secret, we'd like to assume that Brawl at least has MORE than Melee, so that means over 30. I'm not saying any more than that :)
Again, you're assuming that there are 20 starters. I think there will be 35 characters at most, but I could be wrong so I'm not expecting it. Gotta remember that.

@Hippochinfat
You assume that just because it has twice the staff means that there will be twice the characters. That is not a valid argument since you don't know what stuff they are working on. There are about twice as many things to do in Brawl than there was in Melee.

Btw, I'm not sure if this goes in character specific. If so then a mod should move this.

Zek

Smash Ace
I'm also guessing at 35~. We have 23 characters now, including Zero Suit Samus. There are still numerous veterans to come: a conservative estimate would be Captain Falcon, Luigi, Jigglypuff, Ganondorf, Mr. Game & Watch and Sheik, which makes 29. 6 more newcomers is very reasonable, and 11 wouldn't be unheard of. Melee had 9 unlockable newcomers.

As for the starters, if I'm not mistaken every single character on the site besides Snake, Sonic and Lucas has appeared in the Japanese commercials. If that doesn't mean starters I don't know what does. Many of them are on the boxart, Dedede is in Event 1, etc... It's not a stretch at all.

Zinfandel

Smash Journeyman
With clones they could make 50 YeahIwentthere. But I think they have opted for quality over quantity this time. I mean, for Melee one half were clones.

xbrinkx

Smash Ace
I'm also guessing at 35~. We have 23 characters now, including Zero Suit Samus. There are still numerous veterans to come: a conservative estimate would be Captain Falcon, Luigi, Jigglypuff, Ganondorf, Mr. Game & Watch and Sheik, which makes 29. 6 more newcomers is very reasonable, and 11 wouldn't be unheard of. Melee had 9 unlockable newcomers.

As for the starters, if I'm not mistaken every single character on the site besides Snake, Sonic and Lucas has appeared in the Japanese commercials. If that doesn't mean starters I don't know what does. Many of them are on the boxart, Dedede is in Event 1, etc... It's not a stretch at all.
You could say that, but we don't know how many unlockables we have in Brawl, now do we.;)

@Zinfandel
I wasn't going bring up clones in this argument myself because I knew people would flame, so I waited. Yes, we have more original characters in Brawl than in Melee, so we should be happy about how the roster is going. But no clones is an assumption as well made from what we know about characters so far. I think clones are gone, but they could come back. Quality over quantity hopefully.

Boofer

Smash Ace
Well the thing is, it really depends on how firmly you trust your assumptions. If I said "I expect 35, but wouldn't really be surprised if we got more or less" then I wouldn't have trusted my assumptions too much. You can be prepared for anything, but still expect something to happen. In fact, I don't think you can much control what you actually expect to happen...You just do it. Like for example, I can't make myself expect there to be 23 characters because it is illogical. I could say it, but couldn't convince myself.

I still expect a number within the 30's.

xbrinkx

Smash Ace
Well the thing is, it really depends on how firmly you trust your assumptions. If I said "I expect 35, but wouldn't really be surprised if we got more or less" then I wouldn't have trusted my assumptions too much. You can be prepared for anything, but still expect something to happen. In fact, I don't think you can much control what you actually expect to happen...You just do it. Like for example, I can't make myself expect there to be 23 characters because it is illogical. I could say it, but couldn't convince myself.

I still expect a number within the 30's.
Yes, and the reason I made this thread is over assumptions taken to heart. Nothing is for sure until we play the game or see it on the official source.

xbrinkx

Smash Ace
If there isn't about 40 Characters, I'll be highly dissapointed with Brawl. Nothing could excuse that.
Please, I beg of you, don't set yourself up for dissappointment. I'm not saying that there won't be 40 characters, I'm just saying it's likely it won't live up to that much expectaion.

Kowz

Smash Journeyman
I THINK there will be about 32-37 characters based on what we know... I would prefer something like 34 over 38-39, because each character takes some time and I prefer quality over quantity. Yes many people will dissappointed because of some aspect of the game, because we've had A LOT of time to speculate. But this game is going to be an epic win anyway, so overall I believe everyone (including myself) will be impressed. Some characters that I think will be included, thus expanding the roster are: Lucario, Cap'n Falcon, Falco (own moveset), Luigi, Jiggly, and Mr. Game & Watch. Some characters I want (maybe 1 or 2 will make it): Knuckles, Spyro, Ridley, Wolf, WW link, and of course, Marth. Please argue with this, side with this, ponder this, talk about this.:)

susu_atari

Smash Ace
I worked out once that if no series gets less representation that it did in Melee (for instance, Pokemon got 4 characters, Zelda got 4, Fire Emblem got 2) then the MINIMUM number of characters is 34 (I think).

xbrinkx

Smash Ace
I THINK there will be about 32-37 characters based on what we know... I would prefer something like 34 over 38-39, because each character takes some time and I prefer quality over quantity. Yes many people will dissappointed because of some aspect of the game, because we've had A LOT of time to speculate. But this game is going to be an epic win anyway, so overall I believe everyone (including myself) will be impressed. Some characters that I think will be included, thus expanding the roster are: Lucario, Cap'n Falcon, Falco (own moveset), Luigi, Jiggly, and Mr. Game & Watch. Some characters I want (maybe 1 or 2 will make it): Knuckles, Spyro, Ridley, Wolf, WW link, and of course, Marth. Please argue with this, side with this, ponder this, talk about this.:)
That is assuming of course, but it shouldn't be taken to heart.

I worked out once that if no series gets less representation that it did in Melee (for instance, Pokemon got 4 characters, Zelda got 4, Fire Emblem got 2) then the MINIMUM number of characters is 34 (I think).
Again, assumption. Representation doesn't take priority over a good character, that's why Mario has so many reps. Besides, with the assist trophies this is pretty much debunked.

ResidentWaffle

Smash Lord
I would assume captain falcon would be in there because there is an Samurai Goroh AT. That imo is a VERY SAFE assumption.

Serph

Smash Journeyman
I've said all along that I don't reckon there'll be as many characters as people think. I say 30.

Melee had a lot of unlockables, but six of them had cloned movesets. Unless they do the same here, then I'd say 30 is quite reasonable.

edit: not that I don't want more, of course. I'm just being realistic.

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
Mmm, well I'd like to see figures reach 42 (tops). For me, the only other essential characters I want are Luigi, Ganondorf, Jigs, Game and Watch, Mewtwo (if not replaced by Lucario? :p ), Falcon, and Sheik in terms of vets. That makes the roster 30 characters. After them, I'd really want Olimar, Issac, Cel Link, and Animal Crosser. That's 34 characters now. After that I guess I'd like Krystal, Bowser Jr., Ridley, Lucario and maybe one or two WTFS!!! That's about 40 characters I'd want.

But, anything could happen. We might have a 50 character roster (HIGHLY DOUBTED), or a 35 character roster (BIG DISAPPOINTMENT)! They have had two years to develop the game, so I am expecting an enriched roster.

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
I've said all along that I don't reckon there'll be as many characters as people think. I say 30.

Melee had a lot of unlockables, but six of them had cloned movesets. Unless they do the same here, then I'd say 30 is quite reasonable.

edit: not that I don't want more, of course. I'm just being realistic.
That isn't reallistic! That's only 11 more unique movests than Melee! How long do you think it takes to make these characters? One week TOPS!

Pluvia's other account

Smash Master
If all the clones and Ness, apart from Falco and Ganon, are removed, we'll have 32 Characters.

So 8 more Newcomers and we'll have 40, 10 more Newcomers and we'll have 42.

It really isn't that hard, I could easily find 10 more wanted Newcomers.

xbrinkx

Smash Ace
If all the clones and Ness, apart from Falco and Ganon, are removed, we'll have 32 Characters.

So 8 more Newcomers and we'll have 40, 10 more Newcomers and we'll have 42.

It really isn't that hard, I could easily find 10 more wanted Newcomers.
I'm sure you could find 10 more wanted newcomers, but finding movesets, designing and finding any bugs and glitches would take a while. I'm sure it does not take one week. Even if that were true then they'd have spent almost half their time on those characters. Think a little.

Puppet Master

Smash Cadet
because so many characters were already announced, i have high hopes that they were only half of the roster.....but im starting to think recently that on top of already announced characters there there will only be about 10 -13 more...so im thinkin 33-37....but my high hopes are wishing for 40-43

Pluvia's other account

Smash Master
I'm sure you could find 10 more wanted newcomers, but finding movesets, designing and finding any bugs and glitches would take a while. I'm sure it does not take one week. Even if that were true then they'd have spent almost half their time on those characters. Think a little.
With a developement team twice as large as Melee, and almost 3 times the development time, it really wouldn't be that hard to do. I don't know where you got that "not take one week" part from.

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
The Brawl team is HUGE! I mean they must have (OVER 9000) a lot of membes. Each team has their own portion to work on. So, 42 weeks of character design means that the character team had that much work. The rest of the time the character team could do balncing (which takes a fairly less amount of time). It's not like the stage, character, music, and SSE teams are one and the same (well maybe the SSE team, but unlikely).

Even if it was ONE large team that focused half the time on development, this is a character driven game to begin with. I hear people saying that tropies and stickers consume a lot of time, but those are seperate teams.

xbrinkx

Smash Ace
With a developement team twice as large as Melee, and almost 3 times the development time, it really wouldn't be that hard to do. I don't know where you got that "not take one week" part from.
I was responding to someone else. It's hard to manage a thread and quote everyone. If you think about it, there's about twice as much different stuff to do in Brawl than Melee, which probably would take 1/3rd of their time probably. If they put ten more characters in weeks back and each character took 1 week each it would've taken another third of their time to do. Other was probably miscellanious stuff and testing and many other things. Brawl was in development for 28 weeks. IF you assume that 1 character would take one week to make and put 10 extra characters in that takes away 10 weeks. 18 weeks left. I'm pretty sure it takes MUCH longer to work out. The many different things, adventure mode, coin launcher, stickers, trophies, pretty much 1p than it might take around 12 weeks. 6 weeks left. Testing and such, which would be pushing for time. Seriously, 10 more newcomers and 1 week each seems pretty far-fetched to me.

Pluvia's other account

Smash Master
Apparently it takes 8-10 Months to make a Simpson Episode.

How do they have so much episodes though?

I'm guessing that Sakurai and his huge development team used this same common sense when creating Characters.

Pluvia's other account

Smash Master
28 weeks?!?

This is 2008!

Brawl's been in development since 2005!

There are 52 weeks in a year!

And sorry about the double post mods, I don't know what happened there.

xbrinkx

Smash Ace
28 weeks?!?

This is 2008!

Brawl's been in development since 2005!

There are 52 weeks in a year!

And sorry about the double post mods, I don't know what happened there.
Well somewhere I heard it was in development for that long. My mind is playing mindgames on me O.o'. Still. I'm sure they would've updated quite a few more characters on the Dojo by now if there are that many characters.

28-32 mark my words
I think that's reasonable, but that is still assuming. I think I'm going to take a break. Forums have been sooo slow lately.

Chepe

Smash Lord
I have always said that 40 is the most believable max. But we gotta remember about transforming characters and such. 36 selectable characters would still be 40 playable movesets if Sheik came back...

Top Bottom