• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl on an HDTV?

VacantShadow

Smash Cadet
I have a 720p HDTV at home and recently got the component cables for my Wii. The only game I've actually played on HD was Twilight Princess, which looked like crap in HD. My Xbox 360 looks great, so I know it's not me, and I have the settings set to 480p on my Wii. (and no Im not an Xbox fanboy, infact Smash alone owns the hell out of Xbox IMO)

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has played Brawl on an HDTV yet, and if it looks good or not. I hear some games on the Wii look good in HD, but some look worse then standard definition on HD displays, I just hope Brawl is one of the good ones. Considering all hype in the Smash series, I assume they made it support HD well, but if anyone can clarify that it does, I'd appreciate it.

Ness Earthbound Genius

Smash Journeyman
I'm also kind of wondering that too. I just got a 42" too. I have heard a lot of people say TP looks like crap on it, but I haven't seen anything good myself. RE4 didn't look good at all for me. SSBB should be fine though, as it supports 16:9 and 480p.

Igneous42

Smash Ace
Personally I wouldn't say TP looks like crap....it looks pretty good on mine at least. Though the HDTV does bring out some of the flaws more. Mario Galaxy looked great on it so I'm expecting Brawl to work great too.

What I would worry more about is Lag

121DL3Y

Smash Cadet
My school has an HD tv in our lounge area and a kid here has the Japanese version. Theres a lag for whatever reason, but the game looks clear as hell and is really good looking. I haven't seen any subspace footage on it but that probably looks amazing in HD.

NintendoWarrior

Smash Lord
I have HDTV with component cables. Metroid Prime 3 and Galaxy both look beautiful on my TV. I'm sure Brawl will as well.

Rarzy

Smash Journeyman
yeah i've got an HDTV and component cables for my wii. i've got smash bros brawl and it looks great. simple as that.

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
Yeah TP is unbearable, but the graphical style of Brawl lets it look good even on an HDTV. You have nothing to worry about.

Also, as a tip, remember to turn the sharpness level on your TV all the way down.

Mini Mic

Taller than Mic_128
BRoomer
It shouldn't be a problem if you buy some component cables. I just got a 50 inch Pioneer Kuro (yay) and Okami in particular looks amazing even in standard def, it depends on the game.

memphischains

Smash hhkj'
I dont have brawl, but i specifically bought a 480p (like 24 inch or something, kinda small) HDTV just for my wii, but my wii games look ok. melee looks better than it did before.

I mean, its not 1080p, but i dont think any of us bought teh wii because of its graphics *looks at the forum name*

oh, BTW, oes any one know about that progressive screen scan when you turn on melee? since i played it on the HDTV its been asking me about it and i have no idea what its talking about

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
Oh, TP looks like $hit in HD! I am going to have quite a bit of lag in Brawl, here is why:

TV=1080p
Controller=Wireless (I might convert to wired GCN but I'm too lazy to stand close to my Wii)
Connection to TV=Multi compponent box

abaddonis

Smash Rookie
The Wii doesn't support HD. The max resolution it can support (I believe) is 480p, which is NOT Hi-Definition.

I do agree that playing TP on an HDTV does look like crap.

VacantShadow

Smash Cadet
I get it so, if you're using an HDTV and using the standard composite cables the conversion causes "noticeable" lag, so using the component cables reduces that greatly, but I'm getting the impression that it still may lag a bit. Reading that link that Sagacity posted also gave me the impression that Wii really needs to get with the times.

Although, I have a 720p HDTV and when I played Galaxies on it, it didn't lag at all what-so-ever through the duration of me playing it. So, I'm still not sure. Playing on these settings definitely makes the game a lot more crystal clear, but it also shows a lot of the flaws, due to the resolution on the Wii only going up to 480p.

darkjedi187

Smash Cadet
TP/MP3/MG all look great on my HD set a 42' 720p westinghouse. From what I understand it's all based on your sets screen def. If you have a 1080p set the picture isn't as good as a 720p.

memphischains

Smash hhkj'
there wont be any lag if you get the component cables (like 35 bucks for the nintendo ones, and game stop has them for 15), and used a wired controller.

blayde_axel

Smash Master
If you have an HD TV why wouldn't you have component cable. It just seems wrong.
The only reason you (in general) wouldn't have them is because you haven't looked, probably. lol.

I'm happy at how TP/MP3/SMG looks on "HD." Rather mad that Nintendo didn't go that one step further at make the Wii push it out, but whatever. Graphics<Gameplay.

Igneous42

Smash Ace
there wont be any lag if you get the component cables (like 35 bucks for the nintendo ones, and game stop has them for 15), and used a wired controller.
It all depends on the TV. Some TVs even with Component cables you'll get some lag. I haven't tired playing my Wii or anything with standard cables so I dunno how it would work out. But I know that my TV is a 1080p 32' HDTV that has no lag. I've had a friend play guitar hero at highest setting on it and he didn't say anything about it (and it didn't have the HDTV lag reducing thing on)

Killer Tree

Smash Journeyman
Twilight Princess like every other game can't display in HD because 2 Gamecubes duct taped together cannot display HD images.

If Wii 2 cannot do HD there will be hell to pay. >:(

LinkNSnake4Main

Smash Journeyman
TP looks fine for me.
Galaxy looked amazing.
RE4 looks perfect on a 4:3 ratio.

Brawl should look fine.

(Why do you all think TP looks so bad? Looks great on my TV, maybe I just got lucky and picked a good one. :laugh: )

Mechageo

Smash Ace
oh, BTW, oes any one know about that progressive screen scan when you turn on melee? since i played it on the HDTV its been asking me about it and i have no idea what its talking about
If you enable Progressive Scan, it will give you a 480p picture (The P stands for "Progressive).
If not, you will get 480i (Interlaced) which is what standard TVs use.

Igneous42

Smash Ace
TP looks fine for me.
Galaxy looked amazing.
RE4 looks perfect on a 4:3 ratio.

Brawl should look fine.

(Why do you all think TP looks so bad? Looks great on my TV, maybe I just got lucky and picked a good one. :laugh: )
I dunno maybe it's just opinion. I personally like TP on my HDTV too. But it definetly does bring out the edges more. So I guess it's personal preference. I like the brighter colors and stuff that the HDTV gives. But I could understand where some people wouldn't like it.

Tis a shame Nintendo didn't go all the way and make the wii PS3 and 360 graphic levels. Gears of War, Devil May Cry 4, Halo 3 and Mass Effect all looked great.

ClickOnTheLink

Smash Cadet
Do you people work for Gamespot? What's with the TP hate. It looks beautiful on my TV and I'm sure Smash will too.

Cubemario

Smash Journeyman
It's going to depend on the size of the HDTV and how good X persons HDTV is. Also depends on how sharp the picture settings are. Lets not forget how close you are to the TV makes a huge difference as well.

LinkNSnake4Main

Smash Journeyman
I dunno maybe it's just opinion. I personally like TP on my HDTV too. But it definetly does bring out the edges more. So I guess it's personal preference. I like the brighter colors and stuff that the HDTV gives. But I could understand where some people wouldn't like it.

Tis a shame Nintendo didn't go all the way and make the wii PS3 and 360 graphic levels. Gears of War, Devil May Cry 4, Halo 3 and Mass Effect all looked great.

Well, now that Nintendo has demolished the other consoles on the gameplay level (the core element for a game. duh.) in another 5-6 years, when we start the console war again, they can just beef up the Wii, maybe design a new controller, for those who dont like the Wii-mote, and they're set.

Cubemario

Smash Journeyman
I've almost decided to use an HDTV in my house for the wii as well. My SDTV is crapping out, the setup menu pops up frequently in the middle of the screen and keeps coming back every time you close it.

Most of the HDTV's in my house are pretty low quality by HDTV standard, and only go up to 720p. So if I used my wii on one of those with the component cables, I don't really see how it could look that bad.

Dogenzaka

Smash Ace
I have a 720p HDTV at home and recently got the component cables for my Wii. The only game I've actually played on HD was Twilight Princess, which looked like crap in HD. My Xbox 360 looks great, so I know it's not me, and I have the settings set to 480p on my Wii. (and no Im not an Xbox fanboy, infact Smash alone owns the hell out of Xbox IMO)

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has played Brawl on an HDTV yet, and if it looks good or not. I hear some games on the Wii look good in HD, but some look worse then standard definition on HD displays, I just hope Brawl is one of the good ones. Considering all hype in the Smash series, I assume they made it support HD well, but if anyone can clarify that it does, I'd appreciate it.
Wii games will always look crappy on HD TVs.
The higher the resolution, the worse a Wii game looks.
Why? it's a 640x480 pixel image being stretched across a 1280x720 or 1920x1080 canvas. Therefore, jaggies and artifacts will be very apparent in these games. Its just like playing a PS2 or Xbox game on component cables, it really uses last gen-graphic resolutions, so it will look like crap on your HD TV.

The best TV for Brawl would be an ED TV, followed by a 720p, followed by a 1080p.

I have a 1080p Sony Bravia, but all my video games look fine considering it has a 120hz engine, and various game/film/movie engines to smooth out motion blur and eliminate input lag, so I suggest getting something like that. However, keep in mind, the higher the resolution of the TV, the worse Brawl will look.

That's what turns your "480i" into "480p". Melee won't look any better until it's in 480p, which is overall a smoother, sharper image.

I'm also kind of wondering that too. I just got a 42" too. I have heard a lot of people say TP looks like crap on it, but I haven't seen anything good myself. RE4 didn't look good at all for me. SSBB should be fine though, as it supports 16:9 and 480p.
This is a picture I took of Link on my 1080p TV. Wii games show artifacts and jaggies like crazy because it's upscaled.

VacantShadow

Smash Cadet
Nintendo always makes quality games, but they always seem to be the ones getting stuck in the past. It's a shame that I have to play Brawl with gimped visuals because I have an HDTV.

Although, I've been messing around with my the settings all day, and I find that Galaxies looks best with the standard 4:3, and 480p screen settings with component cables. Personally though, I hate playing games on 4:3 in HD, because it cuts off half the screen size. Whenever I set it to 16:9 it seems to look really strained on the edges, like it's forcing it past it's native resolution.

Dogenzaka

Smash Ace
Yeah it's a pity, I personally don't understand why Nintendo didn't bother to at least offer HD rez graphics. They should have known that 2-3 years from launch, HD TV prices would have been so affordable for almost anyone to purchase, and with the 2009 analog TV shut off, prices will plummet even more. So it's a pity Nintendo didn't implement a feature that benefits anyone.

MeleeFan25

Smash Cadet
hope the game does look good in hd, wish one of my that has a hd tv actually have a hd tv, but as said, yes it can bring the flaws out more on games not supporting the hd setting, and and yes the systems highest resolution is 480p

Lingy

Smash Journeyman
Galaxy for me has jagged edges.. and I have component cables. Anyone else having this problem?

LinkNSnake4Main

Smash Journeyman
...Dogenzaka...

Do you REALLY think a photo of a TV does ANY game justice?

As I said before, TP looks fine on my TV.

Dogenzaka

Smash Ace
Galaxy for me has jagged edges.. and I have component cables. Anyone else having this problem?
No that's normal. Because it's a 480i/p game stretched out, it will have artifacts.

I played Melee and other games in 480p and they look way better than TP did. Here's hoping that Brawl looks as good as Galaxy/etc.

...Dogenzaka...

Do you REALLY think a photo of a TV does ANY game justice?

As I said before, TP looks fine on my TV.
Do you have a TV worth more than $500? :p

Losnar

Smash Journeyman
Mario Galaxy runs fine on my bro's 52" 1080p Olevia.

No lag at all and the game looks fine. It's not in 1080p but it's still good.

Top Bottom