• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl. For casual play, or for competition?

slimpyman

Smash Journeyman
who really cares about how one another feels about the games play style intended???? when i found out about competetive melee, people were already better than me, so i still had fun talkin crap, and beating everyone i have ever played. in brawl, i predict i am god, and than i will be better than everyone. myself included

Coselm

Smash Ace
Well obviously I am going to play the game for fun.

But there is nothing wrong with a little friendly competition, especially if you have fun doing so.

Sandwich

Smash Ace
Well, if you don't like brawl you shouldn't exist in the first place, for it is grand.
But why not both?
The problem with this forum sometimes is that people see in black and white. :/

Thunderslf

Smash Journeyman
Both Melee and Brawl weren't made with competition in mind, but can be played both ways reguardless.

Requiem

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
I prefer just for fun. Competitiveness is good, but sometimes things can go overboard. Plus all the technicalities can be a little too much for a game like Brawl.

It's just a game, so just have fun any way you want.
QQQQQQQuuuooooted for truuuuth!!

Sir Bedevere

Smash Lord
I think either the OP needs to change the title, or people need to stop jumping the gun at every "controversial" thread.

Ojanya

Smash Ace
How is the competitive scene NOT fun? Personally, smash wouldn't be the same to me without it.

garrR

Smash Apprentice
How is the competitive scene NOT fun? Personally, smash wouldn't be the same to me without it.
that's how i feel. i tend to be pretty competitive, so i have more fun competing than anything else. that's my definition of fun.

GoldenS1104

Smash Journeyman
It isn't fun vs. competitive. It's non-competitive vs. competitive. They're are two different ways of playing the game. Some people find non-competitive playing fun, but I find competitive play fun. People wouldn't play smash competitively if it weren't fun. This is why people who never turn items off and rarely play final destination look down upon the competitive seen... cause they fail to realize that we have fun in our own way.

Bish

Smash Rookie
Competition is like the point of this game, unless you're buying it for the SSE, and in that case lol.

G-X

Smash Apprentice
We should have had the option of playing non-competitively OR competitively. But, uh oh, Sakurai ****ed that up too by making you trip and fall for no **** reason.

Nuvia

Smash Ace
We should have had the option of playing non-competitively OR competitively. But, uh oh, Sakurai ****ed that up too by making you trip and fall for no **** reason.
Get bent. The game can be played any way you like.

TomatoGod

Smash Rookie
How can you choose? All games are played for fun, if youre not having fun playing the game, why are you still playing it? And as a multiplayer fighting game it is competetive ALWAYS. Everyone is a competitor in smash bros.

Everyone who will play the game will play it for the fun, it shouldnt matter if they play it casually with friends or against tournament opponents, we all smash for fun.

pdk

Smash Lord
they aren't mutually exclusive you goons, come on already

plus "THAT'S NOT HOW ITS INTENDED TO BE PLAYED" is bull**** whichever side of the issue you're on; you all are the ones playing the game so you can play it however the hell you want without having to get your panties in a bunch over what THE MYSTICAL DEVELOPERS who you'll never once meet in your life would think about it, hell you can play it with your tv upside down and it woudlnt matter

man let's all just forget melee or brawl or 3rd strike or whatever and play the fighter of champions, kof98

god **** i am out of it right now, guess that's what posting at 3 am with insomnia thanks to a cold does to ya; god only knows any other reason i'd post here (though kof98 still stomps all your ***** any day)

Moldy Clay

Smash Journeyman
NNID
frothyjazz54
3DS FC
3050-8737-8491
I play neither strictly.

I play for fun. But I play competitively against some of my friends.

We also play some strange mixed.. things... which are competitive, but free for all. So it's like... a weird hybrid. No items, Final Destination, 4 people beating each other. We all hate teams because we hate each other and want to be better than each other, and most of the time only two good players are ever playing and it is basically a game of "kill the two who suck, and then kill each other".

I don't go to actual competitions, simply because I don't have the money or transportation for it at this point. However, this is why I love the online. I want to play new people.

MFZ95

Smash Journeyman
However if this means that your friend is thrashing you in the game,i go for the competitive side!

Zant3tsuken

Smash Journeyman
I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I figure I'll be playing Brawl strictly for fun and staying away from the competitive scene. The only problem I hope I don't face, as I do in Melee, is that even though I want to play for fun, it still irritates me when I lose almost all of my matches, even when I've practiced.

I haven't really been keeping up to date on all the latest Brawl videos and tech findings. Am I going to be facing this same problem when I finally get the game next month?
Short answer, yes.

Slightly less short answer, losing is learning. This is how competitive players work.

Mama

Smash Ace
I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I figure I'll be playing Brawl strictly for fun and staying away from the competitive scene. The only problem I hope I don't face, as I do in Melee, is that even though I want to play for fun, it still irritates me when I lose almost all of my matches, even when I've practiced.

I haven't really been keeping up to date on all the latest Brawl videos and tech findings. Am I going to be facing this same problem when I finally get the game next month?
Probably. But I'd still recommend learning some of the new things. Competitive play can be just as fun as non competitive. You could play with friends who go to tournaments and never play yourself and have just as much (if not more) fun than you would other wise.

Top Bottom