• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl. For casual play, or for competition?

Bane84

Smash Journeyman
I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I figure I'll be playing Brawl strictly for fun and staying away from the competitive scene. The only problem I hope I don't face, as I do in Melee, is that even though I want to play for fun, it still irritates me when I lose almost all of my matches, even when I've practiced.

I haven't really been keeping up to date on all the latest Brawl videos and tech findings. Am I going to be facing this same problem when I finally get the game next month?

EDIT: Topic title changed to better illustrate the true meaning behind this topic.

ComradeSAL

Smash Journeyman
I haven't decided yet whether to enter the competitive scene or not, but I know for a fact that I'll be enjoying casual play with friends (4 player FFA with items and smash balls, etc).

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
From what I've seen, there are a fair number of techs out there right now, but nothing I'd call major like wavedashing and L-Canceling were in Melee. Crazy ones may end up surfacing, but I think for the most part you'll be able to win matches mainly through tactics as long as you're playing people in the same league as you.

Edit: Did no one else actually read his post? It seems like everyone else is just reading the title and posting garbage that doesn't deal with what he's really asking... :ohwell:

Lingy

Smash Journeyman
Both, but I'll probably be playing more competitively. Not to the extent of achieving the 'tourney***' status though.

Since you're planning to stay on the more non-competitive side, don't worry about not watching tech videos.

EDIT: Actually, from what you're saying, you want to win but still play 'for fun'. I don't know about watching videos, but just practice a bit more.

Seriously, you're acting as if fun and competition can't co-exist.

If anything, the competative element of Smash Bros. is the reason why it has lived so long beyond the casual life span. Competitions that are played on a stern-but-fair rule system with skilled players is extremely fun to most people. The game doesn't have to be full of random elements to be fun, you can easily have fun in a tournament.

Don't think that the game game only be fun when it's talored to specific elements, have fun with the variety. :)

Luigi player

Smash Master
Um... both? Competition is really fun to me.

And... only for fun? Don't really like that... I always want to win :D

Nuvia

Smash Ace
Hay guyz, I have an idea. How about we play the game the way we want to play it? Crazy I know.

TheKoopaBros.

Smash Journeyman
Why can't you do both. I find casual smash bros and competitive play to both be fun. There is absolutely no need to separate them or to assume that people who play competitively don't have fun.

S2

Smash Lord
Well the fun of any fighting game IS competition.

Like any skill based game, the better player should be rewarded with winning. If your losing the majority of the time, then maybe you need some time relearning how to play well. I have to question how much "practice" a player honestly puts into the game, if they're not winning a lot of matches.

Going to any big tournament and not winning isn't surprising. But if you can't beat the average player - well then you probably aren't practicing techs or developing mindgames like you should be.

I'll probably end up playing competitively. I love fighting games and Smash has always been a favorite. Even though Brawl felt massively dumbed down when I first played it, I'll still probably invest time in getting good. I have faith that players will break it eventually.

Igneous42

Smash Ace
competition makes it fun. I wouldn't be playing it still after 6 years if I didn't have people at the same skill level as me to play with. I'll probably try to take brawl to the next step and get more into the competative scene

Igneous42

Smash Ace
competition makes it fun. I wouldn't be playing it still after 6 years if I didn't have people at the same skill level as me to play with. I'll probably try to take brawl to the next step and get more into the competative scene

The_Corax_King

Smash Lord
Melee was always fun... but I started enjoying the game A LOT more once I started entering tournaments...

psyniac_123

Smash Ace
I have never stepped into the competitive Melee scene. But my New Year's Resolution is to go to at least one Brawl tournament this year :p (as well as hosting my own).

I'll mostly be playing it for fun, against casual players and friends. Until evening when I will go on Wifi and get a bit more intense (and tourneys, obviously).

-Linko-

Smash Journeyman

This pic=WIN

there wouldn't be any flaming at all if you started with this pic.

Kyle29

Smash Apprentice
^^^^nice Linko Ridley I would be the guy on the right... I can't understand competitives, games are for fun!!!!! If you want competetion join a sport, or an academic team, at least do something productive. Video games are not productive, i promise you.

It's okay to be good at the game but some of you guys thrive on it. For example people who are saying the game is broken because it doesn't satisfy competitive standards. Give it a rest.... everyone is going to have to relearn, because its a new game!!!!!!!!!!

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
^^^^nice Linko Ridley I would be the guy on the right... I can't understand competitives, games are for fun!!!!! If you want competetion join a sport, or an academic team, at least do something productive. Video games are not productive, i promise you.

It's okay to be good at the game but some of you guys thrive on it. For example people who are saying the game is broken because it doesn't satisfy competitive standards. Give it a rest.... everyone is going to have to relearn, because its a new game!!!!!!!!!!
You shouldn't do [insert your hobby here] and be good at it, because there are definitely more productive things to do then [insert your hobby here]. Why don't you become more productive with the game then playing it for **** and giggles. XD But seriously, competition is fun. Don't knock it till you try it. I play like the guy in the right and still win sometimes. :laugh:

Kyle29

Smash Apprentice
You shouldn't do [insert your hobby here] and be good at it, because there are definitely more productive things to do then [insert your hobby here]. Why don't you become more productive with the game then playing it for **** and giggles. XD But seriously, competition is fun. Don't knock it till you try it. I play like the guy in the right and still win sometimes. :laugh:
i don't think I grasp what you are talking about here. Do you mean go to a tournament??? Like where everyone gathers and play, or do you mean just getting good and beating people amongst your friends?? Because the online doesn't look competition freindly (no rankings). I see what your saying though, but i still hate the complaining about lack of techniques and that bull ****.

Requiem

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

I see that statement all over the boards, but the funny thing is... most of the GOOD/AVARAGE competitive players arnt whining about anything, they think brawl is effing great!

specialsauce

Smash Journeyman
um who said being competitive is not fun. look at football players their competitive but they still love the game and have fun. seriously having fun and being competitive goes hand in hand. everyone wants to win but at the same time they can still have fun.

SJAK47

Smash Journeyman
I prefer just for fun. Competitiveness is good, but sometimes things can go overboard. Plus all the technicalities can be a little too much for a game like Brawl.

It's just a game, so just have fun any way you want.

Top Bottom