• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl+...Does anyone play anymore?

NickyG23

Smash Rookie
Is there anyone out there that still plays this game/wants to play online? The one person I knew who was at all decent is in Europe for 6 months, so I'm kinda desperate. I know what with P:M coming out no one really plays this anymore, but I figured I'd ask.

Daakun

Smash Apprentice
All I play, aside from the occasional goofing around with B-.

Dragoon Fighter

Smash Lord
I know this is not the correct thread to ask I would of just simple asked in the brawl+ thread if it was not locked but what are the list of universal non-characteristic changes. I have played it myself already and enjoy it but other than reduced lag and increased speed I would like to know the other changes. Thanks in advance.

Wavebuster

Smash Journeyman
I do still play it personally from time to time, but only do so without the boundary reductions.

Kati

Smash Lord
The game is still a great base to work with. If you want to get into tweaking stages customizing, then the stage boundaries are of little concern. The final version of brawl+ was not terrible. I have yet to hear anyone bring up any major imbalances. I myself put in the old melee air dodge code, but besides that, I'm still so happy that Brawl+ was made.

Odessa

Smash Cadet
6.0 > 7.0

The boundaries were the biggest concern for me. Otherwise, not a terrible game.

Project Melee is still definitely more fine-tuned and smooth, though.

Kati

Smash Lord
The boundary changes are also easy to fix. Having the knowledge to do so also helps when downloading custom stages with improper boundaries. Considering how much customization people employ, the stages are of minor concern.

Scufo

Smash Apprentice
It's funny that the boundaries changes got pushed through despite it being almost universally hated.

Solharath

[ZTD] CEO
I still play 7.0.2 more than any other mod, but I wouldn't mind going back to 5.0 or 6.0 really, just have to dig those old ones up out my old HD to play. But really, I have noticed some boundary issues in Project M that echo Brawl+, but maybe I'm just thinking of something different. If it dealt with stages, I tended to remove a lot of them for cooler locales.

Alondite

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Exaccus
I still play B+. Actually, it's the only Brawl version I even play (aside from the occasional vBrawl for some local tournies). Played B-, and it's fun and all but has a very "fan game" vibe about it. Played the P:M demo, felt "sticky" and clunky, didn't care for it.

Kati

Smash Lord
^

Doesn't help when 7.0 was the standardized, tournament version.
Given that brawl+ died... and Project M is on the way... having a standardized tournament is already out of the question. The mod can still be used for great casual play or less strict tournaments.

My only doubt with this was that Falcon felt too overpowered, but given that I live in a place where no brawl+ tournament would ever occur, I realize the subjectivity in my claim.

Kei_Takaro

Smash Lord
Brofists flying everywhere!!
I still play Brawl+ from time to time. More often than B- actually
It's still a fun mod for everyone who'd like a more polished non-competitive and friendly vBrawl :D
My PM will still consistently be swapping with my B+
Brawl+ was never dead, it helped pave a way for it's competitive offspring <3

frostymm

Smash Journeyman
It's the only mod I play >=3 Brawl+ is and will always be amazing. It's only "Dead" to the melee fans that were trying to make it more like melee. To the rest of us who actually liked brawl even before mods, it's still a great mod to make the game a little more competitive and fun =3

Kati

Smash Lord
Does anyone know where the best place to go or best person to ask for Brawl+ faq's would be? Specifically, I am trying to integrate libertyernie's stage expansion pack with Brawl+, but I can't get the individual pokemon icons on the css; instead, they are all random icons and the game freezes when the cursor is near them.

thanks

ElDominio

Smash Journeyman
I played Brawl+ the other day (thanks Jackpot! XD)
I have to say it was pretty darn fun. And for all that enjoy B-, I'm sorry but B+ just feels more professional, and you can pull off most of the same combos and stuff. Good stuff.

SMewtwo

Smash Cadet
I love Brawl+

I got Brawl+ three days ago, and I've been having a blast with the hacks. :bee:

It's been 2 years since I got SSBB and I didn't even know about Brawl+ until recently. I was a little disappointed that Meta Knight lost his infinite cape glitch (I don't use it to stall, but for ambush), but I managed to resolve that by downloading MEGA metaknight by slayermarth101.

I've been playing Halo games perennially, particularly Halo 3, but it started to get boring to me after I lost access to it. I consider Brawl+ compensation for my loss and I don't know why anyone would leave it.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
A lot of people left for Project M or Brawl-. Others left because of how dreadfully unprofessional a good amount of the development process was becoming.

SMewtwo

Smash Cadet
A lot of people left for Project M or Brawl-. Others left because of how dreadfully unprofessional a good amount of the development process was becoming.
Then they must want Brawl to be Melee.

Aren't the fighter pacs and codes for Project M compatible with Brawl+? Just yesterday, I swapped Falco and his moveset with the Project M's Falco. For some reason, I couldn't do short hop lasers that often. Is it supposed to be like that in Project M?

And what do you mean by dreadfully unprofessional?

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Then they must want Brawl to be Melee.

Aren't the fighter pacs and codes for Project M compatible with Brawl+? Just yesterday, I swapped Falco and his moveset with the Project M's Falco. For some reason, I couldn't do short hop lasers that often. Is it supposed to be like that in Project M?

And what do you mean by dreadfully unprofessional?
You mean the people who followed Brawl+? The early development scene for Brawl+ originally intended to make Braw like Melee. Thank god they didn't because the hacking scene was greatly underdeveloped and they would not have been capable of making the breakthroughs that the wizards in the Project M team have been making. What we got instead was, personally, a much more enjoyable version of Brawl that's fairly well-balanced and faster paced albeit rather disappointing in many of its decisions (especially as a Link main).

And no, a large number of global codes for Project M (called fighter.pac injections) are specifically tied with the character files to make them work with the huge changes. L canceling and the Melee Air Dodge are two major cases. Landing Detection (just recently fixed) is specifically tied to animations and other factors which weren't entirely discussed in-depth with the public.

From what I've seen in your posts, you're clearly new to the scene in general. Brawl+'s history goes quite a ways back. I wasn't present for a lot of it, but I've certainly read a bit on it. There were tons of conflicts; the developers were split and at one point, there were two different versions of the mod. Some bad decisions were made (like Ness being broken) and they listened far too often to the audience, which was often composed of very inept players who never took the time to explore the characters before giving ideas except for a few particularly good people.

The funny thing is that Project M is mostly (or was at the start) composed of former Brawl+ developers who left when they were at it with the other developers. Project M grew extremely popular, essentially because it was what a lot of people wanted the whole time.

SMewtwo

Smash Cadet
You mean the people who followed Brawl+? The early development scene for Brawl+ originally intended to make Braw like Melee. Thank god they didn't because the hacking scene was greatly underdeveloped and they would not have been capable of making the breakthroughs that the wizards in the Project M team have been making. What we got instead was, personally, a much more enjoyable version of Brawl that's fairly well-balanced and faster paced albeit rather disappointing in many of its decisions (especially as a Link main).

And no, a large number of global codes for Project M (called fighter.pac injections) are specifically tied with the character files to make them work with the huge changes. L canceling and the Melee Air Dodge are two major cases. Landing Detection (just recently fixed) is specifically tied to animations and other factors which weren't entirely discussed in-depth with the public.

From what I've seen in your posts, you're clearly new to the scene in general. Brawl+'s history goes quite a ways back. I wasn't present for a lot of it, but I've certainly read a bit on it. There were tons of conflicts; the developers were split and at one point, there were two different versions of the mod. Some bad decisions were made (like Ness being broken) and they listened far too often to the audience, which was often composed of very inept players who never took the time to explore the characters before giving ideas except for a few particularly good people.

The funny thing is that Project M is mostly (or was at the start) composed of former Brawl+ developers who left when they were at it with the other developers. Project M grew extremely popular, essentially because it was what a lot of people wanted the whole time.
I see.

Can you elaborate? I found that the Project M melee air dodge was compatible with Mewtwo, but it didn't work with Brawl's Yoshi. It also caused characters like Meta Knight to look weird when wavedashing.

New to Brawl+, hacking, and recent developments. Not new to Melee and Brawl. I was a Halo player (and still am albeit inactive) but I recently lost one of my favorite games and stumbled upon a post that redirected me to Brawl+. Anyways, before Halo, I was playing Melee. Interesting. I wasn't aware of that much of it's history. Thanks for the info. Is there a chance that Brawl+ will be revived or should I just move on to Project M?

But isn't Project M turning Brawl into Melee? What about the people who prefer Brawl and Melee? There's a shortage of that kind of people?

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
I see.

Can you elaborate? I found that the Project M melee air dodge was compatible with Mewtwo, but it didn't work with Brawl's Yoshi. It also caused characters like Meta Knight to look weird when wavedashing.

New to Brawl+, hacking, and recent developments. Not new to Melee and Brawl. I was a Halo player (and still am albeit inactive) but I recently lost one of my favorite games and stumbled upon a post that redirected me to Brawl+. Anyways, before Halo, I was playing Melee. Interesting. I wasn't aware of that much of it's history. Thanks for the info. Is there a chance that Brawl+ will be revived or should I just move on to Project M?

But isn't Project M turning Brawl into Melee? What about the people who prefer Brawl and Melee? There's a shortage of that kind of people?
R.O.B. will crash if he does a MAD (Melee Air Dodge) because he lacks a special fall animation. Some special landing animations are also modified so that they actually make sense with wavedashing.

There was an attempt to revive Brawl+, but it was completely futile. The scene for it was essentially dead and most of the coders were on Project M or Brawl-.

For people who like Brawl and Melee, you can simply play Brawl, Melee, and Project M. P:M is geared more towards Melee players obviously but it acts as a good bridge for Brawl players. Many Brawl players in the PMBR were introduced to Melee's competitive scene through it.

Gigan X3

Smash Apprentice
I still play B+ and every now and then B-.

But B+ is my most played Mod and most preferred around here with my friends anyway.

Zhelkus

Smash Rookie
I still play B+ with my friends but the tragic end of the mod got me really bummed. I considered it the best Brawl mod available given that it made Brawl feel more like Melee without bringing too many Melee mechanics into it, hardly any at all.

I thought PM seemed cool but then I started to dislike it. The techincal requirements to play it competetitively demand that you use the GC controller in a particular way common to every competitive player... and the thing is that I always played Brawl with Wiim+Nnchk. Noobish? No. I definitely managed to chain combos with auto-l-cancelling, short hopping and 0buffer all with the analog stick. In PM now that every character can tilt their forward attks diagonally, the analog stick's angle range for jumping has been reduced to 0 I think :urg: . Forces u to jump only with Up, not Up+15° cuz or else the little f***er won't jump. Get's me killed all the time and I bloody hate it for that. :mad:

In the end, I've had a good time with Brawl+ and I think I'll continue to have more. Since the project is open sourced I don't doubt the someday in the future (unsure how soon or late) somebody will realize what a great mod it was and resume it without deviating too far. I'll cross my fingers and hope it's soon. :)

Kati

Smash Lord
Finally, I got around to using the camera code! now with Mewtwo's camera program, I can actually see close up in matches like one used to in melee.

I'm wondering, does anyone here think some characters are indeed overpowered? Of course no one is to blame, as the plan was to balance as the mod lived a healthy life.... so this is purely observational.

in particular, I think Captain Falcon, Ike, Snake, and Pikachu are a tad too much.

If anyone is still looking at this little thread I'll elaborate as to why I think so....

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
Heh, I started a bit of Brawl+ again because of all the PSA's out there, a lot of them fit in surprisingly well.

I'm really interested in this Camera code you have though Kati, what is it?

Top Bottom