• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl Data clonable on memory cards?

V3N0M

Smash Rookie
Me and my friend were going to play Brawl all night on opening night together, and beat the game unlock all the chars --- unless we could not copy that on to another memory card. So my question is: Can you transfer the saved data from one memory card to another for Brawl? Thanks in advance

usea

Smash Ace
Nope. There's no option to copy the save data to an SD card. So you'd have to use some sort of hackery to migrate the data.

WoodyDave

Smash Apprentice
Nope. There's no option to copy the save data to an SD card. So you'd have to use some sort of hackery to migrate the data.

Well that sucks. So a bunch of people like myself will be lugging their wii's back and forth just to keep the saved data.

Smash Cadet
Couldn't you clone memory card data if you have a computer with an SD slot or something that uses SD memory and can connect to a computer using a USB cord?

Indignant

Smash Journeyman
Hmm...this is interesting. The Brawl save file is huge...I'd like to see the data stored in it...it may shed light on some interesting topics! I know even if the system itself won't let us...someone can get it out!

/~Dogma~\

Smash Lord
im playin co op with my friend u only want to do this once so ike can everything and then get back to training with ike

-=Untamed-Beast=-

Smash Journeyman
It IS possible to transfer data on your Wii to an SD card, I've done it with a game I rented. What's wierder is that the SD card was one for cameras/photo channel, but hey it stored the data and the wii read that the data was there.
Wasn't this obvious though? Like when taking a picture in Brawl you can save it to the Wii or an SD card.

If the question is can you insert 2 SD cards and copy data like on the GC, you should be able to. But isn't there only one SD card slot?
Maybe there's this thing where you insert one card and data loads on the screen like RAM on a computer (it's the same thing), and then you insert the other SD card and are able to transfer data. That's unlikely, but I just don't see not being able to copy data if you did before...

iLink

Smash Champion
I've been able to copy wii data on a SD card so I don't see why brawl would be an exception

Sadnap

Smash Cadet
There are certain games like Mario and Sonic at the Olympic games, and Guitar Hero 3 where the system blocks you from xfering the file. If thats the case for Brawl, its going to be pretty frustrating getting all my friend's systems up to date with all the characters.

Moustachio

Smash Apprentice
Same... Since my friends and I planned to play for about 12 hours straight when it comes out...

Black/Light

Smash Master
I was also thinking about Co-oping SSE with my friend to unlock all the characters and than saving the game on a Memory Card to than take home/ put my game in my Wii/ put in the memory card/ work off the saved game and save it again but on my Wii.

This seems like it SHOULD word. I mean, isn't that part of the reason you have memory cards. . . to take your saved game data with you if you are not around your system?

I really don't want to have to unlock everthing by my self after playing with him:ohwell:

KaosAssassin

Smash Apprentice
You can copy brawl data onto an SD card and then transfer it to another wii. I know because I have done this. So if you want to play with your friend on one wii and then transfer that data to another wii it is entirely possible as long as you have an SD card

Mama

Smash Ace
Yea I see no reason why Brawl would be any different. And you don't need a Nintendo SD card either any SD card would work even the one you use for your photo channel (thought everybody knew that).

mogwaimon

Smash Apprentice
Yea, I need to be able to backup my Brawl save so I can keep two separate files, one for my friend who uses my Wii and one for me because I like to do the singleplayer challenges and such on my own if necessary to better my skills, and if I can't copy my data to my SD card and my friend, say, beats SSE on difficult or something and unlocks a trophy on my file before I do, I'd be pissed. He did the same thing with Oblivion, got all the achievements I hadn't already gotten and beat everything in my own game before I did before I found that making him a separate gamertag on my Xbox HDD gave him his own set of files and whatnot. Can we please get more confirmation?

Black/Light

Smash Master
You can copy brawl data onto an SD card and then transfer it to another wii. I know because I have done this. So if you want to play with your friend on one wii and then transfer that data to another wii it is entirely possible as long as you have an SD card
Oh, thanks for the heads up!

One more reason to get a SD card (unless it can work with a memory card).

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
I have a question on the same lines, so I'm resurrecting this thread.

Is there any way that two people can play co-op events on the same Wii and have the achievements transfer to both of their files? It wouldn't quite be the same as duplicating a file because each person would presumably have their own file already with different stats/unlockables.

Does anyone know about this?

Jekyll

Smash Ace
Sorry guys....Copying brawl is a no-go. When you try to copy the data to an SD card in the wii data management menu, it says that the data cannot be copied. I just tried this 30 minutes ago after spending 5 hours playing at a gaming center...It kind of sucks.

eugoogalizer

Smash Rookie
Sorry guys....Copying brawl is a no-go. When you try to copy the data to an SD card in the wii data management menu, it says that the data cannot be copied. I just tried this 30 minutes ago after spending 5 hours playing at a gaming center...It kind of sucks.
Hope this isn't true, can anyone else confirm this? I was definitely planning on playing with a bunch of friends and then just copying the file over to an SD card by the time I leave.

2L84U

Smash Journeyman
To my limited knowlege, save data of wi-fi capable games CANNOT be copied nor transferred from the Wii to SD cards.

I pointed this out earlier and was called a troll.
(You know, I have the game)

dguy6789

Smash Lord
To my limited knowlege, save data of wi-fi capable games CANNOT be copied nor transferred from the Wii to SD cards.

I pointed this out earlier and was called a troll.
(You know, I have the game)
This specifically is made false by the fact that DBZ Budokai Tenkaichi 3 save files can be copied to an SD card.

Why do we have trolls in these kinds of threads? One person said without a doubt that you can, and one person said without a doubt that you can't. Someone is lying.

2L84U

Smash Journeyman
This specifically is made false by the fact that DBZ Budokai Tenkaichi 3 save files can be copied to an SD card.

Why do we have trolls in these kinds of threads? One person said without a doubt that you can, and one person said without a doubt that you can't. Someone is lying.
Oh man, should I get a snapshot of myself being unable to copy the save... ?

GamerGuitarist7

Smash Champion
it doesn't work for me either on the japanese version, but i can copy other game save data to the SD card from the japanese wii so its not a region thing. it gave me an error for brawl, don't know what it says.

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
This sucks.

So, I know you can save your names to a Wiimote, and presumably to an SD card as well. What information does that contain? Is it just controller settings, or does it take other information like VS records and maybe your progress on various Challenges?

Or am I basically doomed to have to redo everything I accomplish tonight on my OWN Wii? I was hoping that would not be the case.

gnuf

Smash Apprentice
just wait a few days after us launch, someone will find out a way.

smash superstar

Smash Ace
the way other wii games work is you can copy the save to a sd card...but if you want to put the save data on another wii you have to over write the save file that was on that wii.

and you lose your wifi data too...but seeing how there is none it doesnt really matter =/

Surgo

Smash Apprentice
You can definitely copy data across Wiis and SD cards. 5 easy steps!

1. Move the data to the SD card.
2. Copy data from the SD card to your PC.
3. Start 'moving' the data to the various Wiis, and copying back the data from the PC onto the SD card.
4. ???
5. Profit!

edit: Remember to move, not copy. Because apparently you can move (says KaosAssassin) but not copy (says Jekyll)

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
Yeah, it's easy. Save the data to your Wii, then transfer it to your friends card...

Top Bottom