• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl Assist Trophies and how they relate to Character Consideration

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
This is a long read. If you don't want to read it all, scroll down to the last 2 paragraphs.

Brawl introduced Assist Trophies essentially as the logical next-step from Pokéballs. They were a way to pay homage to the various franchises and interest to item battles, but more importantly, they were a way to give a select few characters a level of representation that is greater than a trophy but not as great as a playable character.

There were 27 assist trophies total, with characters ranging from consensual-never-should-be-playables like Polygon Andross and Metroid to could-be-playables like Little Mac, Samurai Goroh, Starfy, Ray MK, etc. We won't argue over who falls where on that scale, because it's quite literally impossible to make such calls and remain consistent.

But what was the basis for this selection of Assists? Was it that these characters are important, but not deserving of a playable slot? I don't think that's the case at all. Was it that these characters don't have moveset potential? Once again, no. Some of these characters could very easily be made into playable characters—I don't think anyone would argue with that. In fact, in the eyes of many, some of these characters' moveset potential is palpable.

So let's first talk about playable character selection. Now I am a firm believer in the notion that ANYTHING could be made to work in Smash, but that whether a character is worth the time to make it work is based on a fluctuating combination of three factors: Time, Roster Saturation, and Relevance.

Time
This is an obvious factor because there was a limited amount of development time. In a perfect world where developers could work in time capsule and spend 6 years creating Smash Bros. only to have spent seconds of time away from home, I have absolutely no doubt that many of these characters could have been playable. But the reality of the matter is that there's only so much time, and certain characters get priority over others.​
While I do believe everything can be given a moveset, I do believe characters have varying levels of appropriateness. Frankly, the characters that have already made it into Smash don't have equal levels of appropriateness. Which is why I'm saying that it's largely a matter of whether or not they have the time to make it work when other characters wouldn't take as long to design.​
Roster Saturation
Roster Saturation and Time go hand-in-hand. When you have a limited amount of time, you have to think about the big picture and filter character selection through a series of criteria. Would a character bring a unique playstyle? Does this character's franchise need more representation? And if those two questions are a yes, there's still the question of whether or not there would be time to make it work. And it's not like you can just take these cases in isolation: you have to weigh such decisions against all other potential characters. That's one thing this community often fails to do: see the big picture. We're masters at rationalizing a single character with moveset propositions, articles, and all sorts of arguments, but we almost never look at whether or not a character is one of the puzzle piece needed to fit between all the other pieces of a very complex puzzle. Because there isn't enough time to invent more of the puzzle to make room.​
Frankly, Sakurai himself isn't perfect, and I'm VERY sure that even he has a degree of dissatisfaction with the rosters he creates because he KNOWS they can be so much more if he just had the time. But he takes what he's given and makes the best of it. The puzzle always ends up having holes in the end, but at least we know what the picture is.​
Relevance
This is by far the most telling of the three factors. Before a character is even considered to be playable, he has to be relevant in SOME way, right? Whether or not the community agrees with the way in which a character is relevant, every character in Smash Bros. is relevant. I would dare say that the characters they chose as assist trophies are also very relevant—Some are as relevant as playable characters. When considering all of these factors in conjunction, they often have to say "We, and many gamers, love this character, but we simply can't take time to figure out how he would fit into the roster, and we want to spend the time it would take to create this character to create someone else. But we want this character to be represented in SOME way."​
Enter Assist Trophies.

Now I'm not saying that every assist trophy was first considered for playable inclusion before they decided to make them an assist (I'm sure many of them were). But character consideration requires two things: open-mindedness and decisiveness. You have to be open-minded enough to think outside the box. A lot of us are good at that. But we don't have to deal with the stress of having to be decisive over which characters should make the cut, despite the fact that they aren't necessarily more deserving than characters who don't. And that's the reality of the matter.

And while moveset potential is an important factor, it's not a driving factor. By now, that should be abundantly clear.

So what conclusions can be drawn from this?

Characters that have been Assist Trophies don't have less of a chance of being playable in Smash 4 just because they've already been Assist Trophies. That logic is made invalid by the inclusion of Charizard as a playable character, even if it was through the vehicle of Pokemon Trainer.​
But on the other hand, inclusion as an Assist Trophy does not increase a character's chance of being playable. But what it DOES do is tell us what franchises they're paying attention to. And that should give some of us hope.​

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
I'm saying that it's largely a matter of whether or not they have the time to make it work when other characters wouldn't take as long to design.
My question in regards to development time is: who is taking the time to develop them?

The core development teams, the sect that is capable of incorporating a character profile into
the Smash Bros format, are ready, willing, and able to fulfill their positions. That is, when the
workload objectives are made clear to them.

It reminds me of how contractors are involved in certain projects in the private sector. A welder does not have the clearance to perform tasks that have been appointed to a carpenter (or outlined as carpenter duties).

So sure, every Assist Trophy character has the potential to be playable, but realistically these are interests that takes time. This means that it takes developers who have an indefinite interest in representing them in that way.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
I'm not exactly sure what to make of your statement... Perhaps I'm just too dimwitted to comprehend what you're saying. =P Are you saying that characters that are Assist trophies are probably slated to be assist trophies very early on in the design process, and that those who make those decisions aren't in a position to consider those characters for playable inclusion?

You might need to boil it down for me. =P

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
Please don't shortchange yourself, its never my intention to use words to seem higher than someone, its just the way that cognitively works for me.

My intention was to address several portions of the OP, however it was pretty late when I started writing so I decided to see how things would go if I parceled out my thoughts. That's what probably makes this confusing.

those who make those decisions aren't in a position to consider those characters for playable inclusion?
To a degree, yes. I'm considering the amount of invested efforts that a developer would need to contribute over their intellectual property. If they don't have the resources to define their vision of how their IP, or Assist Trophy in this case, should be portrayed then there's going to be less enthusiasm about that character profile.

I remember reading about the shift in the art direction about Brawl. The latest Legend of Zelda game during that time period was Twilight Princess, so in order to represent Link in line with his latest game's design, the developers working on Smash Brothers decided to detail the cast with a similar art style.

Masihiro Sakurai commented on the challenge of keeping the balance among the wide range of Nintendo Characters. The developers had to consider certain obligations like keeping true to
Mario's proportions in the mainstream

Other instances involving characters like Pit or Samus involved modifications that helped incorporate characters to the world of Smash Brothers. One prime example being Olimar who went through some distinct changes in his design. These changes were introduced to the original creator(s) and they allowed the new design.

The point here is that in each of these instances, the developers who were backing the franchise where involved in their own way. This compliance allowed certain characters to attain the representation that we have come to recognize. Without that element, only so much can be done to portray a character in a distinct way. Certain characters might be playable, but as you said, this can be said for just about any character.

Jonny Westside

S4mus Fiend
NNID
Jonny-Westside
3DS FC
4098-3340-4061
Characters that have been Assist Trophies don't have less of a chance of being playable in Smash 4 just because they've already been Assist Trophies. That logic is made invalid by the inclusion of Charizard as a playable character, even if it was through the vehicle of Pokemon Trainer.​
But on the other hand, inclusion as an Assist Trophy does not increase a character's chance of being playable. But what it DOES do is tell us what franchises they're paying attention to. And that should give some of us hope.​

I **** a coffee table when I saw Isaac from Golden Sun 1 and 2 in game as an assist trophy in Brawl. I wasn't too happy about his girlish battle cry, but he was there and I was pretty stoked! Above my excitement of seeing him, I was more surprised that Masahiro Sakurai or someone else whom has great influence over this franchise would acknowledge him and his series. I thought the Golden Sun series was forgotten by Nintendo but I was glad to see I was wrong.

I really hope they make him playable because he fits the criteria to be a full fledged fighter on the roster! (Unique, Commercial Success, Large Fanbase, Face of the series, etc)

Among the assist trophies in Brawl, I think Isaac, Kat & Ana (Warioware), and Little Mac have the highest chances to become playable. I've said what I needed to say about Isaac and I have a good feeling that Kat & Ana will become a playable duo like the Ice Climbers, mainly because of the Game & Wario title which was released today apparently. Little Mac is pretty much guaranteed because he's a Nintendo classic with a popular franchise and is also highly requested.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
@nLiM8d

Hmm. That seems to be a factor in character consideration that I had never considered. I've never been aware of how much input a character's original designer has over the way his character is portrayed in Smash Bros, but it does make sense that they would have some control over decisions being made. Still, I have to ask, is this specific aspect of the design process something that has been stated by the developers themselves, or is this your own insight?

Even still, I would imagine that Sakurai and/or his design team would be the ones creating an initial proposal to the characters' original designers. Or maybe in some cases it's the other way around? Snake comes to mind.

Obviously every decision that Sakurai and his team make has to be approved by higher-ups in Nintendo such as Miyamoto, who is responsible for a lot of the franchises represented, so I imagine he and others that are closely involved in those franchises have a lot of say in the way his own characters are portrayed.

I still feel as though this facet of the character consideration process isn't independent of the factors that I mentioned in my initial post. They're all inter-dependent, which makes the process very messy. As one would expect it to be in a game that involves so many crossovers of intellectual property that belongs to so many different creative studios.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
I **** a coffee table when I saw Isaac from Golden Sun 1 and 2 in game as an assist trophy in Brawl. I wasn't too happy about his girlish battle cry, but he was there and I was pretty stoked! Above my excitement of seeing him, I was more surprised that Masahiro Sakurai or someone else whom has great influence over this franchise would acknowledge him and his series. I thought the Golden Sun series was forgotten by Nintendo but I was glad to see I was wrong.

I really hope they make him playable because he fits the criteria to be a full fledged fighter on the roster! (Unique, Commercial Success, Large Fanbase, Face of the series, etc)

Among the assist trophies in Brawl, I think Isaac, Kat & Ana (Warioware), and Little Mac have the highest chances to become playable. I've said what I needed to say about Isaac and I have a good feeling that Kat & Ana will become a playable duo like the Ice Climbers, mainly because of the Game & Wario title which was released today apparently. Little Mac is pretty much guaranteed because he's a Nintendo classic with a popular franchise and is also highly requested.

I don't like to guess at who has a "higher chance" than others, mainly because the systems of reasoning that I would use to come to such conclusions are most often of my own fabrication. For instance, I don't put a lot of stock in giving characters a "high chance" just because their franchises have a release that is slightly concurrent with the development of Smash (in this case, I don't like to say that Kat & Ana have a higher chance just because a Wario Ware title just released).

In most instances like this, where people are so quick to "guarantee" a character's inclusion, most people end up eating their own words because their predictions are wrong. Not that I necessarily disagree with you. But being so confident backfires more often than not.

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2008/02/sakurai-talks-a/

http://www.destructoid.com/gdc-08-masahiro-sakurai-talks-brawl-development-71767.phtml

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQD1yJinzeQ
He details some of the aspects of Samus and Sonic's design, but I can't seem to find that interview.

I still feel as though this facet of the character consideration process isn't independent of the factors that I mentioned in my initial post. They're all inter-dependent, which makes the process very messy. As one would expect it to be in a game that involves so many crossovers of intellectual property that belongs to so many different creative studios.
Great, this addresses my question famously.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
A good number of Brawl's assist trophies seem likely to be playable characters this time.
Isaac, Saki, Tingle, Waluigi, Little Mac, Samurai Goroh etc.

I believe that the characters who chosen for Brawl's assist trophies got a good amount of exposure, raising their popularity and increasing their chances.

Top Bottom