• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl+: Are we think about FFAs?

goodoldganon

Smash Champion
I'm going out on a limb here posting this topic, but I feel it is something that should be addressed. One of the Smash Bros series greatest draws is the 4 player FFA and the crazyness that ensues. I don't know about you, but I didn't get 64 and Melee expecting it to be some deep fighting game I'd take so seriously, but the desire to get better grew on me.

Basically I'm asking, have many people tested these codesets in FFA matches? I know what you are thinking: 'B+ is made to be competitive, FFAs aren't competitive. People that primarily like FFAs don't want to hack their Wii for a more competitive game.' And, well, I think that's just a lie. Many of my friends are big on FFAs and they love B+. "It rewards skill and smart play way more then regular Brawl did, but it still retains that crazy nature in FFAs we love,' says one of my roommates.

I guess what I'm getting at is we need to consider the ramifications some codes have on FFAs. Yes 1v1s are the top priority, but I think if we want the largest crowd possible FFAs still need to be fun and competitive. Eventually many of those people will want to learn how to get better and that is how the scene will grow.

That's my two cents. What do you guys think? Also, for those that do FFAs, how do you think they play?

Revven

FrankerZ
FFAs are definitely more fun. My casual friends that I know enjoyed it a LOT more because of hitstun being in place and adding more chaos into the matches (however, we played with items off as being the preferred playstyle).

plasmatorture

Smash Journeyman
This is simple.
We're making Brawl+ a better game. For 1v1 primarily, sure, but all our mechanics do is primarily make the game better.

FFAs? Better than they used to be.

Nail

Smash Rookie
We usually play with a group of three people and yes, Brawl+ improves FFAs A LOT.
While playing Vanilla, we usually get bored after 6 Matches or so. Now with Brawl+ Smashing can fill a whole night : )

So, as posted above: Brawl+ not only improves 1v1 Competition, but also the whole game.

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
Do you think that Brawl+ should include codes that make the game better that competitive users would never experience? Two off the top of my head that I have been trying to get made are a code to disable the use of ladders (making Rumble Falls and 75m much less frustrating) and weakening stage hazards (making Spear Pillar, Port Town, Halbird, Pirate Ship, and maybe even Mario Bros better). I really think the biggest problem with this project is that the non tourney goers such as myself have been abandoned because we play in stages that aren't legal and don't live and breath Smash Bros (we only live it).

kupo15

Smash Hero
I bring it to the gamers club every week so extensive testing at all levels minus the items gets done over here. I think for a FFA and in team battle hitstun at .485 is too much. I think FFA/team battle should be considered seeing how hitstun in melee worked well in FFA/team and 1v1 but I don't see this great balance between these 2 modes in b+ yet...

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
I agree to an extent (I'm not sure I'd play those stages without that hazards anyway :p) Maybe after the project is completed.
I could be wrong, but I would think that disabling ladders would be very easy to do and wouldn't need to wait till the end.

@Kupo: Do you think that you can ask PW about removing ladder climbing?

goodoldganon

Smash Champion
Ya, I kinda agree. Hitstun can be a tad too high FFAs, but any lower starts to hurt 1v1s. It's a tough balance. It can be tough to work with. What are we at now? 8.5%? We could try 8.4 or 8.35%, that might work even better when we get a working aerial momentum.

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
I could but we need some other tweaks first:

Jump momentum tweak
Selective Friction mod
Air resistence
teching window??
Shield during DD
Hitstun tweak
What's wrong with hitstun right now? And I understand that more important things still have to be done, but if I am right about this, it should be relatively easy. Do you think you could at least mention it to him so he's thinking about it as he is doing his work. Just because one hack is more important, doesn't mean it should be first if the less important one is easy (I hope).

kupo15

Smash Hero
What's wrong with hitstun right now? And I understand that more important things still have to be done, but if I am right about this, it should be relatively easy. Do you think you could at least mention it to him so he's thinking about it as he is doing his work. Just because one hack is more important, doesn't mean it should be first if the less important one is easy (I hope).
The hitstun does not affect ganon's up b and occasionally when I get bounced around against a wall at higher percent I can AD for some odd reason

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
The hitstun does not affect ganon's up b and occasionally when I get bounced around against a wall at higher percent I can AD for some odd reason
Oh. That sucks, I thought we were done with hitstun. So do you think you can mention it to PW? I wouldn't usually nag, but you didn't answer me.

Edit: Why is there a thumbs up next to this post? Sorry, I never really posted here until recently.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Oh. That sucks, I thought we were done with hitstun. So do you think you can mention it to PW? I wouldn't usually nag, but you didn't answer me.

Edit: Why is there a thumbs up next to this post? Sorry, I never really posted here until recently.
I could maybe afterwards, its hard to make that call when it doesn't really serve a competitive purpose. Well see how the codes look when we get towards that time.. How does that sound? You can always just ask on the hackers forum to see if someone wants to pick it up also.

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
I could maybe afterwards, its hard to make that call when it doesn't really serve a competitive purpose. Well see how the codes look when we get towards that time.. How does that sound? You can always just ask on the hackers forum to see if someone wants to pick it up also.
Thanks I guess, do you have any recommendations of who to ask? I already asked Almas and he said he was busy right now. I don't see the harm in just mentioning that there is one person who wants ladders to die to PW so he could mess around with it while working on the competitive codes, but if you really think that asking for this code would mess up his schedule that much then that's fine. Just to make sure that you are understanding me, all I am asking for is a P.S. at the end of your next PM to him mentioning the idea of disabling the ladders. I am guessing that it will be a one liner as it is telling the game not to do something it usually does and that's it (kind of like the horizontal velocity code w/o the glitches).

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
Super Sonic is b-b-b-b-roken in Brawl+. Mad juggles ftwinomgwtf.

I did try it with Brawlplusery's codes and 4 player with items wasn't so bad. (what I said about Super Sonic still stands)

Swordplay

Smash Lord
Forget FFA

I have the same inquiry with doubles.

I know + is suppose to improve the singles scene as that is the design but how do you think it will affect dubs.

I personally think doubles are fine as is. They're much more fun than vB, given team combos that aren't just chaingrabs work now.

I was never much of a doubles player, but I think I might try to play them more now. They're wicked fun.

FFAs, I haven't tried. Maybe I should.

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
FFAs are very important in my opinion because if someone wants in to Brawl+ because they heard it makes the game better and faster, they may try it whether or not they are into the competitive scene. If FFA is no good, why would they assume 1 on 1 is any better

Top Bottom