• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bowser's worst, best, neutral, and counter pick stages!

GAMERCUS

Smash Cadet
what are the worst, best, neutral, and counter pick stages for Bowser? I've seen some Gimpyfish vids with Bowser v.s. Mario and many others and he sometims hanged on the edge of the stage and attacks. Cause of this, his worst has to be Mute City cause no edge to hang on! Even though he has mostly neutral stages.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Ok, well for one thing we have a whole thread involving bowser discussion, but i will gladly answer your question.

Perfect Bowser Stage- Yoshi's Story
Worst Bowser Stages- High Ceiling Stages, Mute City
Neutral- Probably like Battlefield and Pokemon Stadium

HideousBeing

Smash Ace
Ok, well for one thing we have a whole thread involving bowser discussion, but i will gladly answer your question.

Perfect Bowser Stage- Yoshi's Story
Worst Bowser Stages- High Ceiling Stages, Mute City
Neutral- Probably like Battlefield and Pokemon Stadium
Gimpy makes bowser look amazing on Japes, which would be classified as a high ceiling, yes?

Banned via Administration
vs marth, falco, fox, cfalcon, shiek, ganon, dk = fod
vs peach, roy = ys
vs marth = dl64 (if fod doesn't work)
vs ganon, marth = fd (if fod doesn't work)
vs falco, peach = bf (if ys or fod doesn't work)

if fod doesn't work try ys unless they were working you because it was small, then you go large.

do NOT go to a non-neutral stage. bowser doesn't have the mobility. the only exception is maybe mkii, but that usually is banned. japes is average, there are better stages because he can get so camped out there.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I like Falcon on Mute City, actually. He's probably the only character I'd take there, if only for road comboing, a nice place to DI, and a much more exploitable recovery.

Dream Land 64's also nice in general, but only for your own survival. Kinda hampers your own killing ability, but with Bowser's edgeguarding, it isn't that big of a deal, in my opinion.

Yoshi's Story is known for being "Bowser's level", and for good reason. Easy Fortresshogging, and small blast lines make this place ideal for Bowser's KOing strength. There isn't a lot of room to move around, which is a curse as well as a blessing, given Bowser's size. Sometimes the curse is more than the blessing (It's Marth/Ganon's Story, in my opinion), but other than that, it's normally your best bet. Most people will ban it against a good Bowser player if given the chance.

Green Greens is very fun, and very abusable, but the same can be said for characters that destroy on Yoshi's Story. Much of the same can be said. It'll just end up being a battle for the low ground. Bombs are fun to run into with an opponent nearby, since Bowser isn't sent as far.

Fountain of Dreams is necessary against a chaingrabbing Sheik; the platforms are as good a defense as you're ever going to get (which, incidentally, isn't much in that matchup, period). Its shape is similar to that of Yoshi's Story, but there's more room and variability. Take that as you will, depending on the matchup.

I started banning Final Destination; I feel that Bowser does his best with platforms, mostly for mindgames and maneuverability. Fortresslanding (I don't know if that's what it's actually called) is nice, too. They can also be used for easier techchasing, which is nice. Or maybe I just hate shorthop gayzers from Falco...

Although I'm kind of inclined to counterpick Brinstar, if only for the "epic legend" of "the Lava Combo" that is thrown around in the Southeast because of one of my tournament matches...it's now a crew staple. ;/

(Don't take the last bit to heart; I haven't analyzed the stage well enough to give good judgment on that. I just like hearing "get 'em in the Lava Combo". ^^; )

KingJiggyWiggy

Smash Lord
Hey Reflex! I am 1o11oo1o11 from xc. XD lol.

I actually like FD for Bowser.... The flat stage won't ruin my ground combos but I can do it just as well as a stage with platforms.

I don't know about Rainbow Cruise though...

Haruno Kotetsu

Smash Ace
Yoshis Story, Fountain of Dreams, Green Greens, and I love MKII, but its usually banned. Its so fun to bthrow or bthrow with Klaw on the sides, too easy to kill like that.

^ Probably best stages, maybe Japes is good but I really don't know, theres better choices IMO

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
wait, Reflex, after mentioning this "lava combo" you can't just go and leave off like that. what exactly is this lava combo u speak of? :D
It's really something that you'd have to have been there for it to be interesting, but...

There was a GA tournament called Smash or Die 4 in April (Pokemon D/P's release date, actually). I was doing pretty well. If I'm not mistaken, it was the quarterfinals, and I was playing against Carter, Georgia's resident Fox player.

It was 1-1, and my counterpick. A few friends, some crewmates and other players, were telling me to take him to Brinstar. Prac and Ares, the two crewmates, said that Fox was easier to edgeguard there, and that they've had great success there in 2v2. I didn't know much about counterpicking at the time, so I figured I'd do it because I really love the music (02:05 into the music = <333). That's as good a reason as any, as far as I'm concerned.

He had the upper hand for most of the fight, despite it being close. I had him respawning with his last life, with myself at 80%. Out of whim, I D-Smashed the bottom to break it (if I'm not mistaken, Bowser's the only character that breaks it in one Smash; maybe Pikachu). He fell through the platform and N-Aired me the second it began to break. And he fell to the bottom due to invincibility. He tried to recover at that point, but the invincibility wore off...and the acid ("lava", heh...) rose to its highest point.

He was hit by the lava until he was at 100-ish%...and rose straight into a Bowser F-Smash for the kill. Everyone went crazy, and it was burned into the memory of all that were watching. If it were recorded, I'd have made a sig, and probably had initiative to have made a combo video, just because I'm weird like that.

Pokemon Stadium is a pretty good level; it always has the platforms that Bowser likes, and it's fairly easy to avoid projectiles that way.

Smashboozer

Smash Apprentice
@Reflex: Shaa bro thats sick like the end of a movie underdog wins and that A**hole bully loses.

Im pretty sure this has been answered already but under OC3 rules always counter-pick Yoshi's Story? cause I had a hard time bringin' Marths there.

@KingJiggyWiggy: Yeah I like FD to, I know its supposed to be a bad stage but im so used to it. my group always picks it cause"Its flat and theres no stage stuff that can screw U up" but then we didnt know about infinite shine and other techs. Argg! they still only play FD and no wavedash, CC, ect. !

Kevvviiinnn

Smash Lord
so to recap, the lava combo was lava lava lava lava lava lava lava lava lava lava FSMASH?
insaaaane. bowser's finally got a combo with more than 3 hits haha

RexMaster

Smash Cadet
Mostly at UofManitoba, Winnipeg, in the smelly UMa
For my two cents, I happen to enjoy FD against non-space animals, if only for the reason of "HEY THERE IS ONLY ONE WAY TO GET BACK (shut up jiggs/peach)".

'course, whenever someone in our area hits a Fsmash, the cry is "WABOWSER". The reasoning is that if by adding 'wa' to the beginning of a mario-esque name, it makes them more badass, then clearly wabowser would be a larger, meaner, even more kill-you-in-one-hit kinda guy. ALSO it sounds good to yell.

Banned via Administration
For my two cents, I happen to enjoy FD against non-space animals, if only for the reason of "HEY THERE IS ONLY ONE WAY TO GET BACK (shut up jiggs/peach)".
you're also camped the hardest there. did you knwo that without flame cancelling bowser cannot get around marth's neutb on fd?

'course, whenever someone in our area hits a Fsmash, the cry is "WABOWSER". The reasoning is that if by adding 'wa' to the beginning of a mario-esque name, it makes them more badass, then clearly wabowser would be a larger, meaner, even more kill-you-in-one-hit kinda guy. ALSO it sounds good to yell.
this is why people don't and shouldn't come to this forum.

Just counterpick Yoshi's Story. upB works the best there. End topic plz.
fod is better.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
People have started flat out banning YS for me, hate finally starting to have a good bowser

I had a marth do it too me XD

Top Bottom