• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bowsers Fire?

Should Bowsers Fire change?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperBrawler

Smash Master
I remember Bowser spitting giant fireballs as big as Mario. Not having flamethrower-like fire.

Really, Bowser has done this in practically every single game he has been in eventually. Not having a flamethrower-like fire.

Toxicroaker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4184-2367-6702
Your point stands loud and clear, but in Super Mario 64 (and 64 DS) he had flamethrower breath.
But I would love it if there was an alternate option where if you just tape it would be fire balls but holding would be breath.

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
I would like to see the blood ooz from his mouth like Giga Bowser, Charizard has blood oozing from his mouth when he blows fire.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I would like to see the blood ooz from his mouth like Giga Bowser, Charizard has blood oozing from his mouth when he blows fire.
Blood?

You mean fire drool?

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
Ideally, Bowser should spit fireballs because that's what he usually does in the main games. The fire breath can be exclusive to Charizard, then, if he returns.

Komenja

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Komenja
I really like the idea of tapping his special to shoot a fireball and holding it for sustained breath, exactly like how Godzilla's atomic breath worked in the Pipeworks/Atari fighting games.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
I've never been a huge fan of his side b move, it would be cool to see a giant fireball attack instead of that. (Fat chance though). I guess having 2 fire attacks mine be lame anyway.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Bowser spits flamethrower breath in a lot of his appearances, not just in SM64. In fact, pretty much all of his 3D appearances have him breathing fire normally instead of in fireballs.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Ideally, Bowser should spit fireballs because that's what he usually does in the main games. The fire breath can be exclusive to Charizard, then, if he returns.
This is the one thing that really makes me interested in a change here. Charizard Kirby was a huge let down in terms of his move. Add variety back into the hats is something that appeals to me.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Yes, FFS, change it.

It's one of the worst attacks in the game, hugely punishable and not even close to a real projectile.

grizby2

Smash Lord
the tapping options sounds awesome, it totally needs to be a thing man!

even if its a slow projectile, you can still use it for cool set-ups, zoning, and other stuff. (plus, its always a slow projectile in the games, so it makes sense for it to be slow canon-wise)
not that something being "canon" matters now lol

it'll even make the cool 8-bit crackly flame sound! you KNOW you want that!

Last edited:

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
I'd be more inclined to get rid of the breath entirely and make the fireball chargeable.

The cool thing about it, though, is it's not a charge you save for later use. You can hold it and move around or jump. The small ones are used for zoning and charging a big one, which takes about 2.5 seconds, is a finisher with high knockback.

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy
Has anyone considered the fact that with customizable moves, we may actually be able to change his flamethrower breath into a fire ball ourselves? Of course, that won't mean much on the competitive scene, but still. With your friends and such... yeah.

Last edited:

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
I hope they'll change it at least slightly, but I'm doubtful for some reason. Fire balls would be pretty epic, especially when Kirby gets Bowser's hat.

Shök

Smash Champion
The tapping fireball idea sounds awesome. Ha ha. I would love that.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
The tapping fireball would be the best thing for Bowser.

He's received a bunch of other upgrades, but since we don't know how it's looking for the rest of the cast, having a REAL projectile could only help him.

Smash G

Smash Journeyman
I wish it was like Bowser's Inside Story.

Basically he has very similar firebreath in that game. However it's chargeable. Imagine him charging his breathe then unleashing it in a more explosive and concussive manner.

Davidreamcatcha

Smash Ace
Tapping fireball would be amazing.

However, I also like the idea of customizing it so he hunches over and shoots a giant ball of fire instead of breathing it out.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
I wish it was like Bowser's Inside Story.

Basically he has very similar firebreath in that game. However it's chargeable. Imagine him charging his breathe then unleashing it in a more explosive and concussive manner.
That would also be cool.

I personally think the fire breath in its current state DOES have it's uses (it would help if it started and stopped more quickly), but it just doesn't have the utility of a REAL projectile.

Juken

Smash Ace
I def think he should have fireballs. DJ Nintendo mentioned in a stream that Bowser needs a way of getting into the offensive, especially since he has such close ranged attacks, and he mentioned exactly this idea. I agreed with him 100%.

Jerodak

Smash Lord
NNID
Jerodak
3DS FC
1633-5601-9085
I actually really like the idea of the neutral b working similar to Samus missiles. However, from what we've been shown so far, it does appear that the firebreath itself has received some useful buffs. It's a lot faster overall, and seems to have better burn time, maybe even better range. Can anyone get screenshots comparing the current brawl versions and compare it to the smash 4 version at similar angles? Or maybe we could at least do side-by side comparisons of the start-up and cool-downs.

It may not be 100% accurate, but it'd at least give a good approximation of changes being made in those areas.

Or we could just wait.

Edit: I just noticed something odd, at around 14:47 on the smash bros. direct during the assist trophy segment. Bowser uses his Firebreath and Marth uses counter. Marth is clearly in range of the fire, it's pretty obviously touching him, but he just stays in counter stance and gets pushed away. Not sure if the push is from the firebreath or because Mario got up from the ledge though. Could also be just that Marth's counter mechanic was adjusted. Either way it seemed interesting so I thought i'd point it out.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
I honestly really enjoy his flamethrower; however, it feels a little less special after Charizard. At the same time, 3 Mario characters with neutral special fire-balls? That would be even more redundant which is probably why he has the stream of fire instead.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
just make the lag when you finish fire breath gone or a lot less so you can combo effectively into the fire breath attack. or give the ending hit knock back.

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
What if you use FIRE! at close range, near his teeth? It could be that finisher everyone wants ;)

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Tapping fireball would be amazing.

However, I also like the idea of customizing it so he hunches over and shoots a giant ball of fire instead of breathing it out.

This is very likely to happen, with the custom movesets and whatnot.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I thought it would be neat if you could walk around while breathing fire. Hold the button down and move with the control stick.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
It might be too late but we need to start operation fire breath. I like to think that Sakurai really listened to the fans asking for DK's roll attack. And while there is probably so much going on with balance at this very moment, it can't hurt to ask for a Fire Ball quick press and flame thrower stream while holding the button.

I know like 90% of the people on this topic have a 3DS or Wii U, so hope to it.

Jerodak

Smash Lord
NNID
Jerodak
3DS FC
1633-5601-9085
It might be too late but we need to start operation fire breath. I like to think that Sakurai really listened to the fans asking for DK's roll attack. And while there is probably so much going on with balance at this very moment, it can't hurt to ask for a Fire Ball quick press and flame thrower stream while holding the button.

I know like 90% of the people on this topic have a 3DS or Wii U, so hope to it.
First i'd like to point out that while developers do take the player's choices into consideration, I highly doubt that flooding him requests is going to influence the design decisions that they've likely spent hours discussing and implementing. So getting all of the Bowser thread to bombard Sakurai with "GIVE US TAP FIRE PLEASE" will probably not be a wise choice of action; It's instead very likely to backfire.

That being said, the tap fireball idea is really cool, but ultimately I think just focusing on making the firebreath itself will be the more likely design decision that they make, and it seems like they've improved it already. However, if this projectile idea were implemented then It'd be a nice little addition but I doubt it'd do anything to force anyone to approach except for the characters that were already on the approach anyway. I'm pretty sure anyone else with a projectile would still be more than happy to chuck eggs, fire peanuts, throw bombs, shoot arrows, toss pikmin, e.c.t It might be a slight nusiance for them if he did have the fireball, but I highly doubt that'd be enough to make them approach us. Also, from a purely design-based standpoint, there are probably good reasons for firebreath instead of a projectile. From a player standpoint, if firebreath does get the proper buffs, then we probably won't even need the fireball anyway.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
First i'd like to point out that while developers do take the player's choices into consideration, I highly doubt that flooding him requests is going to influence the design decisions that they've likely spent hours discussing and implementing. So getting all of the Bowser thread to bombard Sakurai with "GIVE US TAP FIRE PLEASE" will probably not be a wise choice of action; It's instead very likely to backfire.

That being said, the tap fireball idea is really cool, but ultimately I think just focusing on making the firebreath itself will be the more likely design decision that they make, and it seems like they've improved it already. However, if this projectile idea were implemented then It'd be a nice little addition but I doubt it'd do anything to force anyone to approach except for the characters that were already on the approach anyway. I'm pretty sure anyone else with a projectile would still be more than happy to chuck eggs, fire peanuts, throw bombs, shoot arrows, toss pikmin, e.c.t It might be a slight nusiance for them if he did have the fireball, but I highly doubt that'd be enough to make them approach us. Also, from a purely design-based standpoint, there are probably good reasons for firebreath instead of a projectile. From a player standpoint, if firebreath does get the proper buffs, then we probably won't even need the fireball anyway.
Oh please. Sakurai really does listen to fans, doesn't mean he will actually take things into consideration and actually implement ideas. I mean just look at the last direct, it's clear as a bell he is very aware of what Smash communities discuss and he knows how to talk to us.

And what's going to happen if people spam that they want a fire ball attack? It'll back fire? Like how? No fire attack period? Our Nintendo Network ID's get banned? Bowser gets cut from the roster? What are you trying to say? There is really no downside to asking for such a thing.

I've already mentioned that because of balance issues most moves are probably locked into place. Of course things have changed very late in the game in the past like Kirby's Yoyo break dance dash. A fire ball projectile would need to be taken into bigger consideration but it's not out of the realm of possibility. I'm just saying if people want it, ask for it directly where people at Nintendo assuredly read the thoughts of consumers who have already paid for their hardware.

Oops!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
aguyudontknow
3DS FC
1693-1719-9908
On the topic of being able to move around/walk while breathing fire, it'd also be cool if instead of that, Bowser's body was stationary, but, while breathing fire, you could use the control stick to tilt his head in a roughly 180 degree range from top to bottom in the direction he's facing and breathe fire that way. Would give Bowser a few more options for launching/continuing aerial combos or just packing on damage and protecting himself from aerial attacks while he's on the ground and ground attacks while he's in the air. It could have priority over pretty much everything but projectiles/weapons (such as Marth's sword or Pit's arrows) and Kirby's rock. Cause, come on, if you fall punch- or kick-first into FIRE, your attack is going to be fairly ineffective.

Last edited:

WwwWario

Smash Ace
I personally hope they change it up in some way. I never found myself using the fire at all, because it had pretty long recovery time. Although, it could be very useful once you got a good hit, and on ledges. On the few pictures we've seen, it seems to me that Charizard has a longer flame, so who knows? If he has, maybe Bowser's has got some upgrade, too? Bigger, longer, more powerful, you name it. But I really like the idea of tap-fireball! :D

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
but the fire balls are for agumon when he get confirmed :/ i wish

but you could argue it would be a rip off of mario and luigi's fireballs

Oops!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
aguyudontknow
3DS FC
1693-1719-9908
GUYS. GUYS. THE FIREBALLS IN THE AMIIBO TRAILER

Last edited:

Shök

Smash Champion
Yooooooooooooooooooooo...

Fire balls confirmed??????????

Also, Mario Party has Bowser as the main character. Today has been a good day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom