• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bowser vs. Lucas

Aqueus

Smash Cadet
That makes me feel a little sad. =( Then again, it is Bowser. Not many people play him, first of all. Secondly, it's easy enough to avoid 90% of his grab attempts, especially if you know that's what he's going after.

It's also well within limits to play on stages that won't allow Bowser to get the full effect from this. I *imagine* (because I've never been on the receiving end of this ploy) that if you were already at the left edge of the stage, and Bowser was facing left, once you broke free you'd be off the stage. Probably subject to a Koopa Klaw, but I disgress.

Blackbelt

Smash Lord
They're chaingrabs, not infinites, so it's not a 0-death combo.

Though this information willrequire us to revisit the Bowser matchup.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
OK, it's technically not an infinite combo but it can bring you up to ~100% and finish you off with a fresh Bomb...

Professional Idiot

Smash Apprentice
Lucas' is escapable after 20%!? (Hyperventilates)

Anyways, Lucas' pre-existing advantage over Bowser was already so large that this chaingrab won't put him at a disadvantage. I don't know for sure, since I don't know any Bowser players, but isn't Bowser's grab range very small? If it is, we can just spam PK Fire at Bowser players into oblivion.

Blackbelt

Smash Lord
Lucas' is escapable after 20%!? (Hyperventilates)

Anyways, Lucas' pre-existing advantage over Bowser was already so large that this chaingrab won't put him at a disadvantage. I don't know for sure, since I don't know any Bowser players, but isn't Bowser's grab range very small? If it is, we can just spam PK Fire at Bowser players into oblivion.
Yeah, we won't be at a disadvantage tp Bowser.

But will we still have an advantage? Or will it be neutral?

That is the question.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Bowsers grab range is pretty good...

But I think a few matches under these circumstances could help tp clarify the general match-up...

ChaosTheoryX

Smash Lord
ya ive known about bowsers chain grabs for a while but have never had a problem with him.....you have to get grabbed first so just dont let him grab you

MrEh

Smash Hero
Hey guys, just thought I'd pop in and say a few things...

Bowser has a 0 death Release Grab Combo against Lucas...
Well, it's not really a 0 death release grab. Bowser will move forward each time he grabs, so he'll reach the end of the stage sooner or later...

Not many people play him, first of all. Secondly, it's easy enough to avoid 90% of his grab attempts, especially if you know that's what he's going after.
Watch out for shield grabs and pivot grabs.

It's also well within limits to play on stages that won't allow Bowser to get the full effect from this.
Rainbow Cruise and Norfair come to mind. Norfair isn't really a good idea though, since Bowser loves that stage.

OK, it's technically not an infinite combo but it can bring you up to ~100% and finish you off with a fresh Bomb...
Can't argue about that though.

Blackbelt

Smash Lord
Rainbow Cruise and Norfair come to mind. Norfair isn't really a good idea though, since Bowser loves that stage.

Funny thing is that Lucas Loves Norfair as well.

And also, I wanna see this stuff in action. Wanna play against me sometime?

It's for the sake of an accurate Matchup chart.

Galeon

Smash Ace
I figured this would work ever since I heard Bowser recovers quickly from grab releases. Main thing I can say is don't ignore this just cause its Bowser. That's like some Meta or DDD expecting not to lose to some Lucas. The matchup wasn't exactly horrible for Bowser before the grab findings.

Nice thing is that Bowser doesn't have a fast grab attack so there's actually a reasonable chance of jump escaping. He can still dash grab but the end of the stage will come much sooner. As for the Bowser bomb, are they talking about the double hit? Lifting us into the bomb? Cause I thought that was airdodgeable by everyone.

Still, I'm sure most of us have learned how to fight Marths by now. So Bowser should be reasonably simple to deal with in comparison. Even match?

MrEh

Smash Hero
Funny thing is that Lucas Loves Norfair as well.
Characters with gimpable recoveries love Norfair, so I suppose Lucas is no exception.

And also, I wanna see this stuff in action. Wanna play against me sometime?

It's for the sake of an accurate Matchup chart.
I wish I could. My internet crapped out a few days ago, so I'm leeching of a neighbor's wireless until I can get mine fixed. If we managed to get a match running, the lag would be enormous. I think it would be impossible to even grab Lucas. ><

The matchup wasn't exactly horrible for Bowser before the grab findings.
Yeah, Bowser has his awesome tilts and jabs.

Nice thing is that Bowser doesn't have a fast grab attack so there's actually a reasonable chance of jump escaping. He can still dash grab but the end of the stage will come much sooner.
That's why choosing Norfair or Rainbow Cruise as a counterpick would be a pretty good idea. If you get a jump release, then Bowser probably won't be able to grab you again.

As for the Bowser bomb, are they talking about the double hit? Lifting us into the bomb? Cause I thought that was airdodgeable by everyone.
Yes, I was talking about the double hit. It is airdodgeable, but not all the time. The timing is different for all characters, and hitting some character's at certain angles causes them to bit hit before they can airdodge.

zbomb

Smash Rookie
the simple fact is.
if u know wut ur doing
and keep the mistakes to a minimum its anyones match.
<7

Trozz

Smash Ace
Jump release only happens if they don't pummel enough (or if it's Yoshi).

Bowser gets hit about a million times by a single PKT.

MrEh

Smash Hero
The matchup is sort of neutral in my opinion, leaning toward Lucas's favor.

Just play a good keep away game to distance Bowser from you. PK Fire as much as possible. It's annoying, and stops most of Bowser's approaches.

However, never underestimate the matchup "just because it's Bowser." If Bowser gets in your face, then you're going to have a tough time fighting him. His tilts and grabs are just beastly.

Top Bottom