• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bowser vs DK (vids inside)

DiasFlac

Smash Journeyman
How do you handle playing a good DK player with Bowser? DK really shows how slow Bowser really is.

His attacks come out quicker and their stronger then Bowser's. He also has super armor on both his Up B and his Standard B special.

Two spikes which makes it easy to gimp Bowser's recovery and his Bair is a pain to get around for Bowser.

How do you go about playing against a good DK player with Bowser?

Bowser vs DK 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDAIHEsT_6Q&feature=PlayList&p=CEF8401A6109F32E&index=148

Bowser vs DK 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEB-zzZcEM0&feature=PlayList&p=CEF8401A6109F32E&index=147

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
I find DK to be one of my easier matchups, but I think that's because I've become a shieldgrab wh0re.

I like to wait until he tries to Bair me from the front then shieldgrab him. Also, firebreath catches him very easily, since he's so big, then ftilt him like crazy.

Other than that, avoid using moves which leave you open for far too long, like don't Bair too close to the ground and induce landing lag and I'd avoid the bomb entirely unless you're certain you'll catch the ledge with it.

He's also a huge target for the klaw.

I've played some pretty solid DK players and I generally win (I only seem to lose if I get stupid which is a lot, admittedly). Do you have a video of this DK player in action? Maybe he's doing something I've never seen before...

WastingPenguins

Smash Ace
I find DK to be one of my easier matchups, but I think that's because I've become a shieldgrab wh0re.

I like to wait until he tries to Bair me from the front then shieldgrab him. Also, firebreath catches him very easily, since he's so big, then ftilt him like crazy.
Good DKs (like myself) won't bair right into shieldgrabs. They'll space it better than that, and approach with well-spaced ftilts and dtilts. DKs tilts outrange yours easily. Firebreath on the other hand definitely DOES cause DK major problems because of the nature of DK's approach game, which is largely grounded, and his massive frame gets caught in it pretty easily.

Honestly, I LOVE playing Bowsers. Bowser's so huge that DKs can easily nail him with grounded upsmashes, and he's tall enough that DK's bairs will **** the crap out of him. I really do think that DK has a good advantage with this one.

Buuman

Smash Ace
Incorporate the fire breathe and Side B more than you would normally for this match up. Out space him. WAIT FOR HIM TO **** UP! >:D

DiasFlac

Smash Journeyman
I should have recorded the matches. His bairs have more range then any of my aerial attacks and when I try to grab out of shield I miss due to how big his bair range is.

I use firebreath a lot on all of my opponent but on DK I try it more then usual but this player just knows when its coming and bairs me out of every one of them.

I'll wait till he's not close enough to punish me for doing the firebreath but I'm close enough for it to hit but because of Bowser's start up lag and ending lag he can punish me once I do it and it doesn't hit.

Also his Special punch hits Bowser more then any other character (maybe not D3) since he's suck a big target.

He really brought to me how slow Bowser actually is. I'll play him again because I like playing tough matches but I'll be sure to record the matches this time. (I really need to start recording more matches)

DiasFlac

Smash Journeyman
Got some vids of me playing a good DK player. Probably not my best matches but I think they get the point out. I try to grab him out of shield when he bairs but he's just out of range and since Bowser's grab range sucks its tough doing so.

I go for a firebreath but he's just out of range most of the time and punishes me for doing it.

Bowser vs DK 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDAIHEsT_6Q&feature=PlayList&p=CEF8401A6109F32E&index=148

Bowser vs DK 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEB-zzZcEM0&feature=PlayList&p=CEF8401A6109F32E&index=147

Thanks for watching :)

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Seems you have a very hyperactive DK on your hands. The ones I fight tend to quickly become defensive for some reason.

I'm trying to remember what my matches against DKs were like, since I tend to win them (even against a French Canadian tourney player I know who has DK as a main).

I don't suppose you could get me Shawn's AIM so I could try to figure out what he's doing differently (no idea when I'll be able to play him with my schedule, but I'd still like to try).

One of the things you might try, though, is reverse-PoF, as in short hop toward him and start fire breath, but aim it UP instead of down so as to catch his approach with it as you fall (I guess this would be a "Bridge of Fire", so BoF). I've done this with some success and the end result is that DK will be caught in it and fall to the ground where you can continue to hold him in it until he DIs out.

Also, if he spaces with a Bair where you can't shield grab, you should still be able to Ftilt him when he lands.

DiasFlac

Smash Journeyman
Seems you have a very hyperactive DK on your hands. The ones I fight tend to quickly become defensive for some reason.

I'm trying to remember what my matches against DKs were like, since I tend to win them (even against a French Canadian tourney player I know who has DK as a main).

I don't suppose you could get me Shawn's AIM so I could try to figure out what he's doing differently (no idea when I'll be able to play him with my schedule, but I'd still like to try).

One of the things you might try, though, is reverse-PoF, as in short hop toward him and start fire breath, but aim it UP instead of down so as to catch his approach with it as you fall (I guess this would be a "Bridge of Fire", so BoF). I've done this with some success and the end result is that DK will be caught in it and fall to the ground where you can continue to hold him in it until he DIs out.

Also, if he spaces with a Bair where you can't shield grab, you should still be able to Ftilt him when he lands.

We play a lot of games I tried many tricks but I always seem to mess up when it comes to the final stock. I do that a lot whenever I play good players.

It seems DK can grab Bowser then after you break out he can regrab him again but maybe I'm just hitting Up B at the wrong time. He's a REALLY tough player I'll try to set up a match with you two S_B. Although you and I seem to be even with it comes to playing different character match up's I'm sure we go about doing somethings differently.

Whenever I can I hit him with the Standard A to a Bowser Bomb which seems to work on a lot of ppl but he's really good at keeping his space and since DK can do a Bair in more sets and faster then Bowser can do a Fair its tough to see him in the air at times.

The player goes by the name of "axelol" but his brawl name is "Shawn" He can be found on this site during the days (Mornings EST time)

http://www.allisbrawl.com/forum/

If I see you on AIM and he's on I'll get you two into a match. :)

Hyrus

Smash Journeyman
I had a critique list, but it got too long. So here's some general stuff.

1) Play DK a little and get a feel for how he attacks and approaches. Note that his dash attack comes out late.
2) Apply pressure while DK is charging his punch, don't stand there and blow fire as if he could jump down out of it, because he can't.
3) Ground dodging with someone as massive as Bowser is generally looked down on (imo). Dodging, as far as I know, lasts a set duration, and with persisting attacks and varying attack speeds, it's hard to accomplish a lot with such a wide character hitbox.
4) Stay off the platforms. I'm serious. At least jump up to try and lure him into a side-b, but DK's up aerial is fast out so take note.
5) Bowser's roll isn't very good. Work on your spacing. Fortress out of shield, short hop... whatever... Your general mentality, though, should be to let them come to you if at all possible and look for the opportunity to use jabs/tilts. I can't guarantee it, but Bowser's down smash might be more reliable against DK since he is a larger target.

Your finger agility seemed capable (some good air dodges in there), but you stuck to your original ideas instead of adapting to DK's behavioral patterns.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
No way. DK's bair has epic range. Bowser's ftilt is no slouch but it still wouldn't reach.
Depends upon where DK lands after the Bair.

If he's moving toward Bowser and the tip of the Bair hits Bowser's shield, he'll probably land close enough to be Ftilted.

Flayl

Smash Hero
No way. DK's bair has epic range. Bowser's ftilt is no slouch but it still wouldn't reach.
I have a hard time believing this unless the DK bair'ed bowser at exactly the top left/right corner of his hitbox/shield

it's too bad i don't know any DK players, so it'd be great if anyone can test and second wastingpenguins comments. truth by peer pressure =P

DiasFlac

Smash Journeyman
DK doesn't have the same lag in his moves as Bowser does sadly. He can do two bair's on Bowser and both of them would connect. Even if you blocked one of them he can do another one without fear of you grabbing him or attacking him out of it. Your mostly go for a Up B which would be the best thing to do but you'd have to make sure you do it after the first Bair or the second one will knock you out of shield.

Once DK hits the ground he can dodge,block or w/e since the lag in this Bair (and other moves) isn't long.

It sucks how DK can do attack much faster then Bowser can and that he has more Power in all of his attacks then Bowser, not to mention the fact that they actually gave him super armor in two of his moves.

Seems as if Nintendo has a dislike for Bowser (lol) but thats silly thinking.

One way I've tried playing a good DK is keeping my distance of course but using Up B, Staudard A and Firebreath (very careful with the Firebreath tho) for racking up damage.

Its very tough even then tho but maybe my Bowser isn't that great?

I tried infinity jumping but DK owns the air lol so your be bair'd before you know it.

Top Bottom