• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bowser SSB4 Moves Breakdown [3DS]

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
In the video, he suffers no hitstun and continues to attack. It'd say that he may have been given some form of armor.

Xcano

Smash Lord
NNID
Xcano128
3DS FC
4511-1143-2506
I think Bowser should be able to "fortify" while ducking for an excess of 1 second. This would just cut projectile damage by 80% and stop him from taking knockback/flinching from all attacks. Melee attacks would be halved damage-wise. Maybe Bowser should just take no projectile knockback/flinching at all?

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
I think Bowser should be able to "fortify" while ducking for an excess of 1 second. This would just cut projectile damage by 80% and stop him from taking knockback/flinching from all attacks. Melee attacks would be halved damage-wise. Maybe Bowser should just take no projectile knockback/flinching at all?
I think he and all heavyweights shouldn't flinch unless hit by an attack of a certain power, and this immunity should diminish as the heavyweight rises in damage.

Like at 0%, Bowser would only flinch if hit by an attack that does 20% or more damage (maybe 30%). At 25%, 15% damage or more. At 75%, 10% or more, etc.

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
I think he and all heavyweights shouldn't flinch unless hit by an attack of a certain power, and this immunity should diminish as the heavyweight rises in damage.

Like at 0%, Bowser would only flinch if hit by an attack that does 20% or more damage (maybe 30%). At 25%, 15% damage or more. At 75%, 10% or more, etc.
This would be too broken. For most characters, their most damaging move does around 23%. And it is usually a fully charged smash attack. First off, smash attacks are hard to combo off, (so basically the heavyweight's main flaw is practically nullified), and some characters don't even have a move that does that much. Its really Marth (cuz Shield Breaker and tipper forward smash) and the other heavyweights that can do this much damage with one move.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
This would be too broken. For most characters, their most damaging move does around 23%. And it is usually a fully charged smash attack. First off, smash attacks are hard to combo off, (so basically the heavyweight's main flaw is practically nullified), and some characters don't even have a move that does that much. Its really Marth (cuz Shield Breaker and tipper forward smash) and the other heavyweights that can do this much damage with one move.
The numbers are purely an example, and I'm FAR from the first person to make this suggestion.

The problem with how most heavyweights are designed is that they tend to be balanced around the idea of "slow but powerful", which means that they're balanced at low end play but utter garbage at high end play where their egregiously slow attacks are easy to dodge to the point where they can barely land a hit.

This nullifies any advantage heavies would have because it doesn't matter if Bowser is 3X heavier if he gets hit 3X more than his opponent hits him.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
The numbers are purely an example, and I'm FAR from the first person to make this suggestion.

The problem with how most heavyweights are designed is that they tend to be balanced around the idea of "slow but powerful", which means that they're balanced at low end play but utter garbage at high end play where their egregiously slow attacks are easy to dodge to the point where they can barely land a hit.

This nullifies any advantage heavies would have because it doesn't matter if Bowser is 3X heavier if he gets hit 3X more than his opponent hits him.
well in general, slow characters in smash 4 look to be having faster and actually usable attacks, like bowser so the need for armor might be more diminished but it would be usefull.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
well in general, slow characters in smash 4 look to be having faster and actually usable attacks, like bowser so the need for armor might be more diminished but it would be usefull.
I'm not certain I like that, though.

If heavy characters have attacks that are just as fast as everyone else, it diminishes their uniqueness because then they're inevitably balanced around being less heavy.

I'd rather they give heavy characters higher move priority than lighter characters, as in their moves will almost always power through those of lighter characters. That way, it keeps heavies heavy, but gives them a means of beating lighter, faster characters.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
I'm not certain I like that, though.

If heavy characters have attacks that are just as fast as everyone else, it diminishes their uniqueness because then they're inevitably balanced around being less heavy.

I'd rather they give heavy characters higher move priority than lighter characters, as in their moves will almost always power through those of lighter characters. That way, it keeps heavies heavy, but gives them a means of beating lighter, faster characters.
Well yeah you like that but the king of armor aka little mac seems to be both light and armorfull.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
Yeah I was just talking about this in another thread, Bowser needs armor.
Iv said this before but i don't think that just throwing armor like project m did will be the case this time around since bowser looks overall faster and attacks might be easier to land

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
Even more proof for armor.
Good eye! So first it was Mega Man from the back of the shell and now it looks like Critter from the top of the shell.

I really hope he's got some shell armor, at least while attacking anyway.

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
While it definitely is good news that Bowser appears to have some armor this time, it certainly is not the only thing that should be changed. Slapping armor on a character is not enough if the character doesn't already have decent approach or defense options. Bowser needs more priority on his moves, and his aerials shouldn't leave him stuck on the ground for as long as they did in Brawl. From what we've seen with his moves, seems like some of these are being worked on, and he hopefully becomes able to stand up to a larger portion of the cast.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
Let's just hope that armor isn't the product of some power up Bowser received form the Smash Run mode.

Also is forward air seems to be a lot better. The hit box seems to go under him instead of just in front of him. That will definitely be more useful than before.

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
It also is canonically sensible to give Bowser armor. In the main games you usually can't touch him(Throwing Mecha Koopas, Hitting the axe to break the bridge, and forcing him to break bricks, etc. Even the 3D games render him untouchable by physical moves at least).

There's also a theory going on that you can deflect projectiles with attacks ie. being ZSS forward tilting Dedede's Gordo's and Pit deflecting Samus' missile with his Side Special. If it's true then Bowser may see some happy days :]

(I didn't read through the entire thread so sorry if this has been covered already.)

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Let's just hope that armor isn't the product of some power up Bowser received form the Smash Run mode.

Also is forward air seems to be a lot better. The hit box seems to go under him instead of just in front of him. That will definitely be more useful than before.
I'm also hoping Bowser's shell isn't the source of his SA and any hit from the front will cause him to flinch as normal. :\

I mean, we COULD play Bowser with the idea that we'll always want to face away from our opponent, but I'm going to miss my tilts and f-smashes.

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
I'm also hoping Bowser's shell isn't the source of his SA and any hit from the front will cause him to flinch as normal. :\

I mean, we COULD play Bowser with the idea that we'll always want to face away from our opponent, but I'm going to miss my tilts and f-smashes.
We shouldn't go by Melee/Brawl standard Bowser. For all we know, Hungrybox style Bowser might be some hidden top tier, lol.

And with Bowser's flashy moves you can guarantee I want to play the flashy back hander(back hander meaning facing behind the enemy)

Chaos Archangel

Smash Cadet
Though I'm not a bowser main, I figured this would interest you guys. The team at VGBootCamp posted videos of move breakdowns for a bunch of the characters on the 3DS.

Here's Bowser

Hokori

Great King of Evil

Hong

The Strongest
Already a thread that goes over this video in-depth, linked above. Thanks though!

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
...But gained it on Fsmash.

Unless the 3DS has an earlier build, Bowser's SA was moved to his Fsmash (TLink D-aired him in the middle of it and no interrupt).

Frankly, I'm fine with it. The U-smash might be too good with it, and his Fsmash makes him TRAVEL so I like the idea of SA on it.

Jerodak

Smash Lord
NNID
Jerodak
3DS FC
1633-5601-9085
It's the same as the E3 Build actually, we'll need to review the footage but I noticed that too when it happened and I'm wondering if Fsmash just clanked out the Dair, I've seen it do that to a Samus Upsmash as well so it wouldn't be that surprising. There is a lot of stuff I'm really eager to get a closer look at, including that exchange. I'll let you know what I find, and it'll probably end up on the moveset analysis/discussion thread.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
It's the same as the E3 Build actually, we'll need to review the footage but I noticed that too when it happened and I'm wondering if Fsmash just clanked out the Dair, I've seen it do that to a Samus Upsmash as well so it wouldn't be that surprising. There is a lot of stuff I'm really eager to get a closer look at, including that exchange. I'll let you know what I find, and it'll probably end up on the moveset analysis/discussion thread.
Good, cause I'm not 100% sure.

All I know is that the U-smash definitely no longer has SA. I SURE as hell hope the FSmash got SA to compensate... :(

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
It still has super armor, it's just on the latter portion of the move. I can confirm from playing the demo at SDCC.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
We had said for a while that heavyweights need some sort of flinch resistance at lower percentages, and now this was a tip in the NA demo released recently:

I wonder if DK/D3 get it too...

Last edited:

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Interesting. I wonder if this was added to the final build because it definitely wasn't in the E3/SDCC demo.

MrEh

Smash Hero
Depends on what constitutes as a "weaker" attack I guess.

Could be near useless or hilariously dumb.

Top Bottom