• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bowser Jr. Helpful Tidbits Thread

SilverThePony

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4055-4975-1398
I haven't seen anything like this around here yet, so I thought I'd take initiative and start up a thread where we can post the small things we've found that may or may not help improve our BJR gameplay.

To start off, did you guys know that you can ALWAYS jump cancel out of your car (sideB), even if you don't have any jumps left? Though, If you jump cancel off of the ground, you can't double-jump.

That's one of the many interesting things I've discovered over the last few weeks- what have you guys come up with?

Kushamo

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2165-5525-1625
His extra jump has already been discussed in other threads, although it couldn't hurt to have an overarching general tips thread.

One thing I've noticed is that Jr's neutral game is deceptively weak. Approaching with the car won't work on anyone who knows to shield it, and mechakoopas can easily be grabbed. Abandon ship can be awesome if you manage to bait the opponent into it, but other than that his neutral game is actually pretty underwhelming.

SilverThePony

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4055-4975-1398
I can definitely agree with that, and I usually deal with it by spacing and spamming fair/bair. I wish there was an easier way to hit with the cart- that opens up a huge string for me, but as of now, it's the only major string I have. I've tested throws a bit recently, and it SEEMS like you might be able to chain it off of a down throw at low percents, but I haven't seen it in action enough to tell for sure.

Kit Cal-N

Smash Ace
Fair, Bair, and Uair can all autocancel.
Fair has a landing hitbox that can hit confirm into grab at low percent on some characters.
Fthrow, Bthrow, and Uthrow all do 9-12 damage.

Mechakoopa is not an approach.

Don't run, walk.

If you haven't used your midair jump, you can jump after spinout. Then, you can kart again.
You can control your slide on spinout (can be used to pass through shields).
Spinout is a kill move.
Normal hits with kart counts as staling your spinout.
Don't use Kart if they're above 60%. It will not combo, it will just stale one of your kill moves.

Important things already discussed:
Connecting with the landing hit of Dair cancels lag.
Dair hitboxes except the last are all spikes.
Press A after being hit after Abandon Ship to regain the Car midair.
Fsmash has a LARGE invisible hitbox at the end.

Last edited:

HarryTheChin

Smash Ace
B-reversing with Mechakoopas/Down-b is a good way to trick opponents especially during CQC.

SilverThePony

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4055-4975-1398
Don't run, walk.
Could you go a bit deeper into this one? I'm not entirely sure what you mean by it. Why is it more beneficial to walk rather than run?

Last edited:

Kit Cal-N

Smash Ace
Could you go a bit deeper into this one? I'm not entirely sure what you mean by it. Why is it more beneficial to walk rather than run?
Junior has a pretty slow start-up dash, that doesn't travel much distance at all.
Junior's running isn't much faster than walking.
Junior has a pretty has a pretty bad dash attack, but a pretty good forward tilt.
You don't keep momentum from running if you jump, anyway.

Basically, if you need to get from point A to point B, running is your worst option vs. walking, kart, or even jumping.

Last edited:

SilverThePony

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4055-4975-1398
Junior has a pretty slow start-up dash, that doesn't travel much distance at all.
Junior's running isn't much faster than walking.
Junior has a pretty has a pretty bad dash attack, but a pretty good forward tilt.
You don't keep momentum from running if you jump, anyway.

Basically, if you need to get from point A to point B, running is your worst option vs. walking, kart, or even jumping.
Right, I suppose that's true. If I ever need to get across the stage, I can just jump cancel out of kart, so there definitely no need to run in the first place.

Thanks for the insight :)

Raider 88

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Raider704
3DS FC
5086-1674-5462
Junior's dash attack isn't that bad. I love comboing dair into dash attack at lower percents

dawgbowl

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3239-2803-2467
Kart does not beat wario motorcycle
Kart does beat Yoshi Egg roll
Mid-air cart spinouts are hilarious

Don't eject against a greninja in the air, if he connects with his up+B when you eject, it's like a magnet pull effect... that will likely kill you off the top.
Dtilt is effective against rollers
Jab is dangerous at higher percentages, little mac (prob others) can wiggle out and use a counter move either before or on the last hit. The last hit can KO though.
Usmash is surprisingly a great tool at low percents, especially on heavy characters.

Mecha Koopas

Days

Overmaster

Hibiki for Smash 4 DLC!
Some people say you should always have a Mecha Koopa on the field.

Some people say it's more of a mix-up.

SOME PEOPLE ARE WRONG.

Last edited:

Usopp

Smash Apprentice
^. Best post NA

Mechakoopa is godlike in the right hands. and also makes the fight very good if the opponents knows how it works as well.

NidoMay

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4897-6023-8031
Seems that mechakoopas can cancel out some of the more annoying and spammy roll moves. Seems like it'll nab egg rolls and sometimes spindashes.
Dairs can lead into more dairs on lower percentages.
Fair can actually be played a bit evasively. As in you can move back a bit when using it. Also if they're already in the air you can do a second jump and chain it!

NidoMay

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4897-6023-8031
Edgeguard by angling Side Smash down, it catches a lot of characters!
I only just noticed now that it can be angled!

EDIT: Derp, wrong thread.

Last edited:

NidoMay

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4897-6023-8031
Yup, gave it a try in training mode! Its hitbox seems to go into the ground, so on the edge it'll hit opponents right by it. It seems to intercept Fox's up B at the very least to, seems to edge out a few moves.

Top Bottom