• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bowser is my new favorite heavyweight

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
By 'heavyweight', I mostly mean characters with very slow, powerful fighting styles. So I'm not talking about Snake and Wario, despite how heavy those two are.

Anyway, I've never really payed much attention to Bowser until now. I saw some Bowser player ranting about how good he was in the Official Tier Discussion and thought I'd muck around with him a bit to see if he appealed to me.

For starters, I was really pleased with Bowser's ability to pressure shields. Blocking an Fsmash badly takes the opponent's shield down below half way due to how incredibly damaging it is. And considering that Bowser has a few good poking options that are also shield bait (his Ftilt and Dtilt are just slow enough for the opponent to see coming and want to block) it makes it feel like these moves pay off, even when they're blocked.

Flying slam is very useful, of course. 18% for such a fast GRAB is excellent. Compliments his OOS game very nicely, as if Fortress wasn't enough.

Also, they got rid of that beer gut that he had in Melee, thank God. He is quite a bit more aesthetically pleasing as a character now.

Charizard used to be my favorite heavyweight in Brawl, but I think I like Bowser just ever so slightly more.

Raidein

Smash Cadet
After months of playing Brawl I finally discovered how truely great of a fighter Bowser really is. At first I thought he never really had a good defense for his size. I also never knew moves like his whirling fortress, fire breath, ground pound, etc. could be such life savers if used properally. He's a fun character to be once you got him mastered.

f0r3man

Smash Rookie
Bowser is one of the most changed original players since Melee. I mean honestly, he is like not affected by gravity. I like his forward tilt though, they made it so much better and the aimable flame, there is nothing better other then a Donkey punch to the face though.

PKboy89

Smash Journeyman
I been messing around with Bowser lately, and I find his aerial attacks to be really, really good. They all have high priority (I'm thinking that maybe his down air has the least) and he is the heaviest out of all the fighters, making him the hardest to knock out. His recovery isn't as good as D3's, but far better then DK's. All of his tilts are amazing. My favorite is the down tilt. Two hacks, real fast, and I find it to be his most dependable killing move. His forward and up tilt are also really good and kill as well. Out of all the heavyweights, I find Bowser to be the most reliable in terms of killing moves.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
I been messing around with Bowser lately, and I find his aerial attacks to be really, really good. They all have high priority (I'm thinking that maybe his down air has the least) and he is the heaviest out of all the fighters, making him the hardest to knock out. His recovery isn't as good as D3's, but far better then DK's. All of his tilts are amazing. My favorite is the down tilt. Two hacks, real fast, and I find it to be his most dependable killing move. His forward and up tilt are also really good and kill as well. Out of all the heavyweights, I find Bowser to be the most reliable in terms of killing moves.
I find that Charizard and Ganon kill faster, but Bowser is slightly more versatile than those two.

PKboy89

Smash Journeyman
I find that Charizard and Ganon kill faster, but Bowser is slightly more versatile than those two.
Hmm...I don't know anything about Charizard or Ganon. I have tried them out a few times and I was just straight up horrible with them. Plus, I hate the way ganon looks, sounds, and runs...the king of evil just seems like a old man now...lol

My favorite heavyweight is D3, he is defiantly the best aerial fighter, and has the best range by far, but I think Bowser dominates ground play. Nothing feels better then a suicide body slam to, lol.

RAAR

Smash Apprentice
Gannon was my favorite heavy in meele but he got crazy nerfed in brawl so i don't even touch em. ON thing ive found that bowser can do well is pressure opponents to the ege of the stage with his tilts and flame breath and of course his jump glitch adds some unexpected agillity. n'. My favorite thing about heavies is that they come back from an 8 move combo that does 50 damage and lands 2 hits to do the same amount.Anyways ive been casually playing boweser for a few weeks but i finally beat a few of my bros mains today so idk he could beat out falco for 3rd soon.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
I'm glad you like Bowser because alot of people underestimate the heavyweights, but once people start to play asw them they'll better understand their fighting style

Hyrus

Smash Journeyman
I like Bowser for what he is - huge, claws, spikes, fire, shell... he's just an awesome character to take control of. Though I still don't understand why he "skids" to run... I always thought he should gallop or something.

Play wise, I don't think he's really balanced with his size in mind. You'd think a massive character would be intimidating, but like all large characters, he's a welcome target. That's the bare essence of it. You dodge and still get hit by an object passing through you since you're twice as wide. Someone rolls past your attack and ends up inside your collision without getting hit. His weight just makes him easier to juggle and he doesn't have a good aerial/dodge to come straight down with. Without a reliable ranged attack, his knockback/priority/damage doesn't seem to justify his lacking assets.

He's not awful, but he isn't where he should be if he were properly balanced. Still, he's my favorite themed character.

For starters, I was really pleased with Bowser's ability to pressure shields.
I haven't seen a shield break in Brawl yet. Shields are so durable and come back so fast that I don't see shield pressure as significant. I mean, really, the only reason people don't shield more is that they know they'll be grabbed.

superman969

Smash Journeyman
boozers definitely the best heavyweight in my opinion, although DDDs really really close. I'm workin on secondarying him because people john so much when i beat them with him hahaha

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
I like Ganon and Dx3 (whenever I use Ganon's SideB, I scream "Darth Vader!" because of the awesome "I find ur lack of faith disturbing" grab b4 dropping them). I like Dx3 because of the SideB, and his aereals/smashes are goood.
Btw, my friend kevvviiinnn plays a pretty mean bowser.

Buuman

Smash Ace
Some say bowser is good..some say bowser is bad, who really gives a ****...use who you have the most fun with. No need for a pointless thread like this. >,>

Top Bottom