• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bowser in Japan Tier List 1.04

Anragon

Smash Apprentice
http://smashboards.com/threads/japan-tier-list-post-1-04.381458/

What do you Bowsers think of that ?

For my part, I found it kind of accurate so I'm okay with it. Though I wanted him just at the top of mid tier (here C tier)

But let's remember : it is waaaaaaaay too early to do any tier lists atm. So just take this list with a grain of salt and relax because this surely will not be the same case for NTSC and PAL tier lists. I created this thread just to have some opinions of you guys.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
He might be a tad bit higher, but I agree that it's still way too early to accurately determine a list at this point. He's mid tier in my mind.

Ranias

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ranias
3DS FC
1864-9368-1757

I think his placement is okay. It is worth noting that Japan has a different metagame than ours, so our tier list will be different from theirs.

You guys can probably help expand on this, but I guess Bowser's biggest weaknesses are that he can be juggled kind of easily (by catching him on his landing lag), and he doesn't have that many options against projectiles.

In general, a tier list describes characters in higher tiers beating out characters from lower tiers.

I think that most of the people that are higher tiered than Bowser have an advantage against Bowser except Lucario and Mii Brawler. Bowser's KO power can score early kills against Lucario, giving him a big advantage. Mii Brawler's range is short, he isn't that fast, and Bowser can trade better hit for hit.

Most of the people that are lower tiered than Bowser are at a disadvantage. Jigglypuff can do well against Bowser via Pound on his shield and Rest on his large hurtbox (but Jiggly does get insta-KOd when his shield breaks). Shulk, Marth, and Lucina can do well because of their disjointed hitboxes.

Link and Toonlink have projectiles and disjointed hitboxes as well, so they can have an advantage against Bowser. Not sure why they are so low.

Last edited:

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
It looks sorta right, but honestly, I suspect Bowser will wind up falling lower. I'm also surprised at the placement of the Links because they're both REALLY solid this time around, and I agree: they have an answer for everything Bowser has.

I'm curious to see some videos of Japanese Bowsers now...

MrEh

Smash Hero
Isn't this the tier list that was made BEFORE Japan got their hands on the Wii U version?

If so, I would give Japan some time. I mean, they've only had the console version for like half a week.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Placing Bowser in the middle makes sense I guess but he feels like B tier material IMO. But I'm not really sold on this list. I mean if Pit and Dark Pit are pretty much the same why the different tier for them?

How did Marth drop down to Ganondorf level?

Comorant

Smash Cadet
Placing Bowser in the middle makes sense I guess but he feels like B tier material IMO. But I'm not really sold on this list. I mean if Pit and Dark Pit are pretty much the same why the different tier for them?

How did Marth drop down to Ganondorf level?
Dark Pit? Probably the less knockback on Ftilt and Projectile.

Marth going down is a bit more of a case of underdeveloped meta. A bunch of characters that were below him last time got buffed while he had no tweaks at all, making him pretty ignored.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Isn't this the tier list that was made BEFORE Japan got their hands on the Wii U version?

If so, I would give Japan some time. I mean, they've only had the console version for like half a week.
Correct, this was only on the 3DS.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I'm confused that they put him so high AND above Bowser of all things.
What if I told you that Trampoline was secretly the best attack in the game?

Like, think Diddy Bananas, except it forces you to JUMP and also works as an out of shield option. Yeah like, I used to believe Pac-Man was terrible...but seriously man. An unblockable, undodgeable stage control tool that basically forces your opponent to jump no matter what if they want to get past it. And then key toss is fast and does a whopping 15%. Yeah...honestly when I look at it this way...I suddenly understand why they gave this character a tether grab.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Yeah Pacman is actually pretty good. A good one which I did face in randoms is one of the most annoying adversaries I have faced as Bowser.

B!squick

Smash Master
What if I told you that Trampoline was secretly the best attack in the game?

Like, think Diddy Bananas, except it forces you to JUMP and also works as an out of shield option. Yeah like, I used to believe Pac-Man was terrible...but seriously man. An unblockable, undodgeable stage control tool that basically forces your opponent to jump no matter what if they want to get past it. And then key toss is fast and does a whopping 15%. Yeah...honestly when I look at it this way...I suddenly understand why they gave this character a tether grab.
You can't do anything until you touch the ground, so I'm dubious on it being a good out of shield option and it doesn't stay out quite long enough to be of any real use a trap.

As for key, it's good, sure, but so is any other charge projectile. Doesn't help Samus or Greninja much though.

Top Bottom