• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Boswercide Inconsistency

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
Just to throw a knuckleball at you, I was playing with bowser yesterday and I bowsercided with 1 stock each with the higher controller port and it gave me a sudden death.

the very next match i did the same thing, and got the win immediately.

The matches were back to back and the controllers stayed plugged in.

I'm not sure what to make of it. I would guess the kid wiggled out last second, but 1. i don't know exactly how that works and 2. he wasn't hitting anything, because he didn't know he could DI out at all, so he would just give up everytime i got it on him.

Sliq

Smash Master
Vids or it didn't happen.

But seriously, no idea.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
I didn't record it. i was just playing friendly with a kid at work.

I was so confused after the first one that i was convinced that I was wrong all this time about which port is #4, but sure enough I was plugged in to the lower slot. I was in slot 3 and he was in slot 1.

Inferno_blaze

Smash Lord
I did actually win on a bowsercide from player 4 when grabbiong P1 (who was charizard), was acompletely WTF moment at my friend's and we've ignored it since :p

Culinary

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, it's pretty strange. Usually Bowser comes out on top, I've only had a few matches go into sudden death.

DiasFlac

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, it's pretty strange. Usually Bowser comes out on top, I've only had a few matches go into sudden death.
sucks like hell when it does go into sudden death. I mean knowing its not supposed to do that (thats what it states in the SSBB site. Bowser gets the win if Bowsercided) and yet you go to do that on both of your last stocks and then bam. Sudden death.

sucks even more when you lose the sudden death.

dam you Nintendo

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
I tested this some more, and with the 4th player slot, i got sudden death 5 times today, and never got the win. This happened on FD, smashville, and a handful of other random stages.

I don't know what to make of it.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
Played Bowser all day in 30-40 matches.

With the higher controller port (port 4) I got sudden death almost every time.

Once I ended with a Bowsercide from port 1, and I got the win. The stage was frigate orpheon.

The inconsistency is driving me crazy.

Has anyone else done extensive research on this and can enlighten me with what you've found?

E.M.

Smash Apprentice
That's weird.

I know that if you normally bowsercide and knock out the enemy's last stock, YOU will also get knocked out ................BUT..............the game won't take a stock from you.

It's quite obvious. 5 stock an opponent with a bowsercide end and you can hear bowser scream because he got knocked out. But you'll still have 5 stocks and 0 falls.

The controller issue is odd. I'll have to try it later, because I've played port 1 and 2 plenty of times against humans AND cpu's and I've never had a sudden death because of a bowsercide ending.

salaboB

Smash Champion
Easy enough: It's *mostly* controller port. Odds are there's also a very slim chance when you're Bowserciding with a bigger character (And possibly smaller ones, but it seems likely bigger ones will do this most frequently) that they actually detect as off the bottom before Bowser's hit box goes, and then you can survive with a higher controller.

So, at a guess this is your opponent going off and you not, and it requires starting from exactly the right height that the death check catches you right between when your opponent goes off and when you go off -- and since you're falling pretty fast, that's a slim window.

Me14k

Smash Lord
What were the levels and what were the other characters.

I believe small characters are more likely to force sudden death and some levels are wierd.

NinjaDog251

Smash Rookie
do u know if they other player is moving left or right?
if they dont' move at all, then u win
if they do, then it's sudden death (according to my research... and experience...)

Gindler

Smash Champion
Maybe percentages have something to do with it? or maybe whoever dealt more damage throughout the entire match (rather than just the last stock)

Might be worth some testing cause yeah it sucks when you should win (Tourneys I go to sudden death doesn't matter and whoever had lower percent wins, which would usually be the opponent otherwise why would you bowsercide him?)

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
Actually, if you are not lower than your opponent, they can DI towards the stage while you are DI'ing away from it, and their DI overwrites yours.

The only sure way to get this is to actually be at a lower % than your opponent when you do it.

MarthTrinity

Smash Lord
Not sure really...but I have a funny story about this...

I was Ganondorf for fun and my friend was Bowser, we were playing on Castle Siege...last stock for us both and he Bowsercides me off the edge. Now...that friend doesn't win very often against me so he celebrates and puts down his controller and starts laughing that he won with a Bowsercide when..."SUDDEN DEATH!" appears on the screen...I still have my controller in my hand however and just jumped up and fair-ed him right in the face.

I was also lucky enough to save the replay of it XD

I actually did some testing on this a while back. I shared it with a few friends, but I figure/hope it'll do more good here.

Tatsu's Handy Guide to Bowsercide said:
Well, the previous thread about this was locked before I could test and figure anything out, so I figured I'd make this.

Now, according to seemingly everyone, Bowsercide works like this: If your controller port number is lower than your opponent's, then you will win. If it is higher, the game will go into Sudden Death.

This is, however, not entirely true. There are certain instances where a Bowser in P4, P3, or P2 can win in a Bowsercide regardless. I will list them here.

Only on these stages:
Delphino Plaza
Luigi's Mansion
Norfair
Castle Siege
Smashville
New Pork City
Skyworld
Pictochat
Pokemon Stadium

While fighting these characters:
Mario
Kirby
Pikachu
Mr. Game and Watch
MetaKnight
Squirtle
Ivysaur
Yoshi
ICs (assuming you get Popo, obviously)
Dedede
Ness
Lucas
Toon Link
Jigglypuff
Olimar

In addition to this, Bowser will win in a Bowsercide in Sudden Death regardless of controller port.
However, it should be noted that I have had a P2 Bowser win once on the Summit, as well as a P2 Bowser lose on Pictochat, but I am unable to get these to repeat under identical circumstances after 15 tries, give or take.

I have tested every stage and character, but there COULD be a few holes in my testing method. If anyone spots anything wrong with this here, please speak up. The point of this is to figure out and document the circumstances of when this happens.

As a last note for those who will say I'm completely wrong, please reconsider.
Hopefully this helps a bit.

Fr0sty

Smash Rookie
^^^ That is some great stuff Tatsuman.

I had noticed on Smashville that I would win from P2 with the bowsercide everytime. But now you've just gone and topped that knowledge.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
thanks for the video tatsuman!

Can anyone understand what causes the inconsistency?

3GOD

Smash Ace
I don't know if this is true or not, but I once heard that the blastzone/border on each stage was an octagon rather than a rectangle. Perhaps the Bowsercide occuring at one of the corners or angled sections of the border can result in strange effects.

Thanks, guys. ^-^

I still can't figure out what caused those few inconsistencies, though the octagon blastline could be the cause.

Even still, Smashville will yield P2/3/4 winning over P1 even if you're off the side of the screen, rather than just off the side. Maybe I should try and test a Bowsercide underneath the middle of the stage, where theoretically the blastline would be flat.

Top Bottom