• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Boomerang Jumping

Rykard

Smash Ace
Hey all. I recently figured out a failproof method of gaining extra height and distance on young links recovery by using the boomerang to cancel the hookshot animation after an airdodge. I know that this isn't anything new, however, i figured that i would make a video explaining my method of doing it so that other people can see a visual example of it.

Here is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaALpU2mxP4

if you have any questions, feel free to ask!!

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
This is pretty awesome Thanks for the video.

Did you know you can airdodge twice or up B after an airdodge with a similar tech? Actually, this is basically a "faster" version of that tech.

edit:

With this trick you showed, I'm pretty sure you can airdodge + hookshot again.

Hmm, can't wait to try this out.

Rykard

Smash Ace
nah you can't hookshot again :( that would be pretty sweet though cause then he could have like ganondorf status recovery

Rykard

Smash Ace
Maybe you could airdodge-catch rang-airdodge-hookshot? That would help a bit...
if you catch the boomerang in the middle of the airdodge or in the helpless animation after the airdodge, you don't get the "catch the boomerang" animation so you would just die

Rykard

Smash Ace
nope. the whole point was to create a situation where young link wouldn't be able to recover using is regular mid air jump and Up+B. That way, it would be easier to show how much farther you can get using a boomerang jump. The Charge Shot was also Staled completely so it had the same knockback both times and did the same percent. It's all about keeping consistent data so that i could demonstrate that you can survive from being hit farther distances using this technique. If i DIed the charge shot correctly, i would have easily made it back onto the stage in both scenarios so that's why i didn't :)

Jash

Smash Lord
You need the first version of Melee in order to do this trick. They fixed that on the "Best Seller" game disks. So if it doesn't work for you guys trying it you know why.

rhan

Smash Hero
What Jash said.

I pulled this off once before. It take either a well timed rang catch or pure luck out of the situation. When this happened to me I, have already third jumped and while in the falling state I caught my boomerang and got another third jump. It's useful but also unlikely to actually pull off in a recovery situation.

I don't own the first ship of ssbm so I cannot experiment and try to see if there is a safe way to put this into play. So I'm going by that experience.

Rykard

Smash Ace
see now i'm nervous to use this cause in tournament because the cube i'm playing on might not have the right version. and Rhan, i thought the video i made was a pretty good example of where it can be used and how to do it without messing up. it's probably more useful on a stage like dream land, but was there something maybe i could test for you?

Rykard

Smash Ace
haha dude that is where i first saw it and then like 3 years later i figured out how it was done.

anyways, i assume Jash knows what he is talking about though checked smash wiki to see version differences in the games and nothing was said about the boomerang not being able to cancel the ariel hookshot animation. http://super-smash-bros.wikia.com/wiki/Version_differences_(SSBM)

and for those debating the usability of this, me and my friends had a smashfest last night and doing this saved my butt many times, especially in teams since my partner kept keeping people off the ledge when i was recovering so i would just grab it at the end because of this

Jash

Smash Lord
Yea, Young Link is was godlike in the older version of Melee. His grounded UpB was inescapable, his Bombs took 5% more damage, you couldn't crouch cancel his Fsmash, so many other things that I probably don't know lol.

Long story short, he was

And then he turned into

rhan

Smash Hero
Jash.... That picture right there makes me proud and happy that I play Young Link.

Top Bottom