• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bomb Uses

Zaprong

Smash Apprentice
How do you use your bombs? I want to create this thread to see how useful bombs can get to be, and I discovered some things.

-Works amazingly good with rushing opponents, Basically, if you put a bomb, they cannot grab you without being interrupted, and if you put the bomb and step back, your opponent will be likely to shield if he is near it, and Thus you can grab him and make him eat the bomb AND your grab, I love doing that because nobody predicts it.
-Bomb Jumping to throw off aggressively aerial opponents
-Get away from your opponent.

So, have any of you discovered a great use for them?

KayJay

Smash Ace
NNID
KayJay84
3DS FC
1848-1677-7521

I don't use bombs very often but that's how I use them most of the time.

BlackCephie

Smash Journeyman
Ha I am one of those Samus mains who raves about bombs in this game. I think they are incredibly useful and pretty much vital to her zoning game since our missiles are not as fast. Here are some ways that I use them:

-I basically spam them intermittently on the ground from a short hop, and sometimes a full hop. I try to always have a bomb out between me and my opponent as a buffer.

-Using them close to the edge almost always serves to pressure your opponent and make them fall off. You can set opponents up for spikes or just gimp them outright with downb.

- I've actually started using bombs in what some refer to as "boxing" matches where you and the opponent are throwing out melee range attacks, blocking and spot dodging each other. You can be really tricky up close with good movement, mix your opponent up by always having an extra hitbox out there. It can also punish rolls and give you frame advantage for a good fsmash.

- I used to habitually attack AS my bombs explode, but now i'll throw out an attack right BEFORE they explode to cover myself just in case an utilt or down tilt miss or get blocked, thinking about it basically as a tool to compensate for the recovery time on her moves.

-It may sound silly but i've also been experimenting with retreating using multiple bombs in succession if I know I have the space. Ive seen opponent try to rush through them or jump over them which leaves them open to a read.

I havnt had a chance to try this yet but I want to mess with dash pivot bombs and dash pivot short hop bombs. Seems like it could be interesting...

Inger

Smash Cadet
NNID
Kalificus
3DS FC
1349-5584-0682
When im falling onto stage with forward momentum, and I know the enemy will try an aerial or upsmash, I bomb to reverse my momentum and watch them hit nothing. Also, as you said, works well to interrupt predictable grabbers. *cough* Diddy *cough*

Karcist

Smash Journeyman
I like to use them interchangeably with air dodges to escape juggles and return to the stage more easily. They're also useful for setting up grabs when people shield them as they approach.

n00b

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
peasantstat.us
3DS FC
1693-1292-7210
yea so I'm a recent bomb convert. used to hate on em but now that I've figured out a bit more of their timing, what's safe and what isn't, etc, they're pretty useful for certain matchups. especially where missiles are too slow/get punished by rushdown chars with great aerial or horizontal mobility.

one thing I don't see emphasized with bombs is that with the added aerial mobility and small hurtbox they give Samus, they allow her to crossup shield. Samus weaving behind shields is super important because she is so prone to getting shieldgrabed, and luckily her up B hits on both sides if your'e close enough.

interestingly, I fought two very good Falcon mains this weekend while practicing online, but with different styles. I got a lot of mileage out of crossup bombs for a falcon whose main approach/mobility was ground/dash/jab/grab based, but got consistently 2-3 stocked by one whose main approach was using full and short hops to get around. In the case of the latter, I'd have to set bombs up way earlier/further away, then meet him air to air with preemptive FH Fair or SH Nair. In both cases, bombs were useful, but for different reasons… so that's why I think there's value in bombs, you just have to explore their versatility as they're matchup dependent IMO.

BlackCephie

Smash Journeyman
...I'd have to set bombs up way earlier/further away.
This is what I've been trying to emphasize to people who argue that bombs are useless because they make you punishable. If you put them out early enough, you have a very effective wall setup that they have to deal with if their strategy is to close in on you very quickly.

Afro Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
Afro_Smash
3DS FC
2938-6360-9529
Managed to actually break someones shield using bombs, they seem to do a surprising amount of shield damage despite only doing 9% if they actually connect

Snipnigth

Smash Journeyman
Dont know if ppl know but seems useful no?
i mean it lets you move and makes you really small after landing with the f-air or any other aerial, instead of standing static until the landing lag is finished, or is it easily punished? haven't really tested it in a match, just picked up Samus.

Last edited:

KayJay

Smash Ace
NNID
KayJay84
3DS FC
1848-1677-7521
It's too easy punished. You space a little but you actually have more landing lag than without.
Pefect framed RAR is the better choice -> Zero landing lag and you can space safety in the air.

Last edited:

n00b

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
peasantstat.us
3DS FC
1693-1292-7210
Too easily punished? I'm not so sure — once you abuse it and are predictable with it, yes, but it is still a solid movement option to have in your repertoire if used in the proper situation. Almost all of Samus's moves/options are highly situational which is why she's not a braindead character and many matchups are difficult. I've seen most success in using tech like that in crossing up opponents in shield who have limited/slow OOS options to cover their rear.

Ometa

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4167-5056-0993
I like to SH bomb OoS while charging a charge shot and continue charging. Most of the time they'll try to approach over the bomb and eat an Uair string or utilt, or if they wait behind the bomb, throw out a zair or super missile. Also at the ledge, bomb then sh aerial into the bomb (the bomb jump will allow you to retreat).

BlackCephie

Smash Journeyman
Managed to actually break someones shield using bombs, they seem to do a surprising amount of shield damage despite only doing 9% if they actually connect

This. Bombs do eat a lot of shield. I believe they actually hit twice on shield contact. Following up with power missile is s great way to soften your opponent's defenses.

BlackCephie

Smash Journeyman
I really wish bomb exploded on contact, instead of timming :(
Its actually both. After the bomb stops flashing it becomes an active hitbox on contact OR explodes once it expires. Also, if someone runs into a bomb while its still flashing, it automatically goes into contact mode. Take note of how if someone shields a bomb thats still flashing, it will actually inflict two separate hits on the shield, resulting in LOTS of shield pressure.

Snipnigth

Smash Journeyman
Its actually both. After the bomb stops flashing it becomes an active hitbox on contact OR explodes once it expires. Also, if someone runs into a bomb while its still flashing, it automatically goes into contact mode. Take note of how if someone shields a bomb thats still flashing, it will actually inflict two separate hits on the shield, resulting in LOTS of shield pressure.
Thats wierd, i have played samus and every time i lay a bomb my opponent can dash threw them it really pisses me off

BlackCephie

Smash Journeyman
Ive started laying down series of bombs between me and my opponent. It makes thing really weird for them to approach or land if they were airborne. If they werent already in a position to dash through the first one, they wont be able to approach you on the ground at all.

KayJay

Smash Ace
NNID
KayJay84
3DS FC
1848-1677-7521
My Combovideo should be finished next week, Some very practical Bomb Combos are included and also B-reversal charged shots. It's a big project with highest 60 FPS picture quality so stay tuned.

Last edited:

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
Someone tell me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you can be grabbed while in morph ball. Some implications if your opponent is grab happy and likes to punish landing with grabs (Captain Falcon).

I've been using down b from the edge to avoid a dash grab (also can work for dash attacks as they might clank the bomb) then go over the ledge then come back up while being covered by the bomb explosion.

Afro Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
Afro_Smash
3DS FC
2938-6360-9529
Im pretty sure you are vulnerable, at least on the first few frames, since i remember being grabbed just as a bomb popped out then my opponent using throw invincibilty to nullify it

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
Im pretty sure you are vulnerable, at least on the first few frames, since i remember being grabbed just as a bomb popped out then my opponent using throw invincibilty to nullify it
Maybe just the small hitbox fooling me.

-_ellipsis_-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HCLargesse
It still seems pretty useful, as most people are committed to a rushed down grab many frames before and nobody but cpus have frame perfect reaction.

Boney

Smash Apprentice
Bombs are really useful for me, but I admit I can get a bit trigger happy when landing and it's gotten me punished.
My primary use it for recovery, the air momentum alone greatly helps with recovery, not to mention you can bomb jump in order to stall edgeguarding opponents and safely make it back.

I also use them when I'm launched upwards and I have enough space between them so I can keep going back to a ledge with something between me and my opponent or to change my air momentum and be able to get to the ground safely. Also helps of the opponent is far away and you're about to land.

I use them for edgeguarding as well, both dropping it down for linear recoveries and right at the edge to force opponent to react and cutting down to get up options.

I also use them to space myself between the opponents in certain instances, were you get a few extra second to charge you shot or you force a jump in or a roll if they're impatient which can be punished.

I really like the regular bombs a lot more than the custom ones

Rikkhan

Smash Apprentice
I think regular bomb are the best but the custom ones are not terrible they just require a lot of practice and quick tought to be useful. Only if bomb wouldn't had such a high lag Samus would be way better.

-_ellipsis_-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HCLargesse
As a PSA to everyone who gets into a match with Captain Falcon, or other rush down characters, bombs are the great equalizer. You can bait out attacks or approaches by charging your cs, then SH bomb drop. It will bait out grabs and attacks that will whiff, hit them, and leave them vulnerable to grabs, attacks, etc. This doesn't work so well against ZSS, because she doesn't want to be in your face. Not her range. I just laugh every time I get into a Falcon match on FG now, even if my opponent is skilled, because I know exactly what they're going to do (what other choice do they have?) and bombs royally screw them over.

Zaprong

Smash Apprentice
I discovered something pretty neat

https://vine.co/v/O3xZ9UVEJJL

Its actually a lot easier than it looks.

Just make sure your opponent rolls into the ledge once you do it, works as a hard read.

The timing is a bit strict, but if you practice on practice mode youll get it in no time.

basically the inputs are:

DownB>All the way to the right, Jump into ledge> Down Air.

Its so GOOD

KayJay

Smash Ace
NNID
KayJay84
3DS FC
1848-1677-7521
I used to do this a few months ago, but honestly only inexperienced opponents fall for this. It's still fun to use but only on FG.

S.P.A.D.

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Lavama
I really don't use Bombs enough. Most of the people I play with generally stay away when I drop them on the stage, so I can sort of use them to escape. Other than that all I really do is use it to stall landing on the stage. Need to change that, really...

moofpi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
moofpi
3DS FC
0473-8866-3506
Okay is that just Ganon shenanigans or do slip bombs always spike? I thought they were just fast and caused tripping? I use them the least because they always blow up on me after I lay them and make me bounce back into morph ball. It's so aggravating. If there's a right way to use them, please let me know.

Afro Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
Afro_Smash
3DS FC
2938-6360-9529
Okay is that just Ganon shenanigans or do slip bombs always spike? I thought they were just fast and caused tripping? I use them the least because they always blow up on me after I lay them and make me bounce back into morph ball. It's so aggravating. If there's a right way to use them, please let me know.
You can dash just out of their range after laying them, though timing is strict, or you can just shield, or input any attack to avoid going in to the morphball animation. And yes they spike everyone, and its a fairly powerful spike at that, kills most enemies outright at around 80%

moofpi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
moofpi
3DS FC
0473-8866-3506
That is so stupid, thank you for your wisdom.

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
I discovered something pretty neat

https://vine.co/v/O3xZ9UVEJJL

Its actually a lot easier than it looks.

Just make sure your opponent rolls into the ledge once you do it, works as a hard read.

The timing is a bit strict, but if you practice on practice mode youll get it in no time.

basically the inputs are:

DownB>All the way to the right, Jump into ledge> Down Air.

Its so GOOD
Carlos posted a vid on the skype feed. This works as a shield break punish. Now that's dirty.

Last edited:

moofpi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
moofpi
3DS FC
0473-8866-3506
Carlos posted a vid on the skype feed. This works as a shield break punish. Now that's dirty.

Getting ready to check out video of sick bomb usage. Video does not exist.

Now that's dirty.

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
I really like that... again, one of these instances where someone posts something and it's seen as just a bit too situational to someone else figuring out that it is in fact really, really good.

Last edited:

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
Ok so this dirty little combo, which I absolutely love, it's completely inescapable but you can't perform it precisely the same way as Carlos has done in his vid.
I promised myself I wouldn't do any testing until after the patch but here are the inputs necessary to bag ANY character, big or small:

Walk push to ledge -> Pivot -> Bomb -> FF SH D-air.

If you don't pivot just a bit, the bomb will blow up on certain character's hitboxes (try DK, Olimar). And if you're facing the other way Samus' arm connects well during the swing on any character's hurtbox. If you don't fast fall, you won't hit certain characters, particularly small ones. The above prescription is no miss.

Last edited:
Top Bottom