• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bomb Covering

SkaManifesto

Smash Apprentice
NNID
loonuhsee
Basically bomb covering is a messed up version of Bomb Setting. Im not sure if it would be pratical in a tourney against pros, but I ifind it useful against predictable plays who often go for head on air attacks. For example, Jiggly with the F/Bairs.

To bomb cover:
-Get a bomb and hold it(easy so far)

-Next step wait for the right moment(your oppenent is coming at you either in the air or from below off of the ground)(preferably diagonally from below)

-At this point you should press Z (not A) so that you let go of the bomb, instead of chunking it.

If your timing is right the bomb should tumble to the ground/ out of your hands, into your opponents path. However, depending on your distance and if your opponent has begun then 2 things can happen here.

1. If your distance form you opponent is very small then the bomb will stun your enemy (w/flames) and continue on its path downward. Then exploding on impact with the ground. However if you choose to FF and down a combo into you renemy while they are stunned I suggest keeping an eye out for the bomb becuase due to its recoil off of the enemy you many also become fried if you manage to hit the recoiling bomb.

2.If the distance/hangtime of the bomb is longer then it explode on impact with your enemy, this also goes for the event of your enemy hitting the bomb. THe only caution here is that if you choose to FF to early then you may gethti by the explosion of the bomb.

Some people may find executing this more trouble than it is worth, however if you can pull it off then it can become a more than welcomed safeguard to powerful Arieal attacks. And if not that then it is always fun to shove it the faces of speedsters like Fox that speed is not everything.

CQue tHe Sunn

Smash Journeyman
this is true. but its not a foolproof technique at all. i think the key to mastering link is randomness. link has so many combos, strategies, techniques and projectiles you can combine, mix up, and use in surprise situations to completely throw off the enemy. basically mind games. i think this "bomb covering" technique should be one of those rarely used random strategies. if you use this one too often, it becomes too predictable. they can counter it several ways; projectiles, double jump over it/you, wavedash backwards and come in after the bomb explodes and youre left open, run up and dodge roll behind you and the falling bomb, etc......

Deva

Smash Lord
Actually it's a frequently used technique against rush characters like Shiek and Fox. The trick against them is to spam projectiles. if they get too close while your pulling a bomb, drop it in their face, considering you're short hopping with the projectile spamming. It may give you some free combos.

CQue tHe Sunn

Smash Journeyman
hmm. i guess. i rarely watch vids though so i wouldnt know.
yeah i do know that spammin prjectiles against fox n sheik is how to do it. thats usually what i do, its just that this bomb covering hasnt worked for me on a high enough frequency for me to use it. so i just dont. it screws me up.

but, this reminds me. some n00b came to my tourney a while back. he beat me! first round, cuz see heres the thing:
1. he plays fox, but he's a nub right? no prob. just spam projectiles.
2. then i find that he plays with items.... GAWD!
3. He reflected and dodged like everything!!!!! I was like OMGWTF!?!?
4. I was so set on spammin projectiles with fox that it took me friggin 2 stock to quit using them!! ughhh. at that point i couldnt catch up, his style of playing was completely unforseen by anyone since no one i knew played with him. i almost caught up and won, but he got such a huge jump on me before i got a hold of things.

then i played himin a friendly afterwards and 4 stocked him, didnt use a single projectile.

it was really weird. i was so disappointed in myself...

technomancer

Smash Champion
It's called bomb dropping, and it's generally better to throw it at them if it'll hit.

A trick in HDL's guide is that if you jump at close range and immediately drop a bomb on someone, you get a free D-air out of the deal, or if they shield it, the D-airwill blow the bomb and your lag will be cancelled by the explosion.

Deva

Smash Lord
hmm. i guess. i rarely watch vids though so i wouldnt know.
yeah i do know that spammin prjectiles against fox n sheik is how to do it. thats usually what i do, its just that this bomb covering hasnt worked for me on a high enough frequency for me to use it. so i just dont. it screws me up.

but, this reminds me. some n00b came to my tourney a while back. he beat me! first round, cuz see heres the thing:
1. he plays fox, but he's a nub right? no prob. just spam projectiles.
2. then i find that he plays with items.... GAWD!
3. He reflected and dodged like everything!!!!! I was like OMGWTF!?!?
4. I was so set on spammin projectiles with fox that it took me friggin 2 stock to quit using them!! ughhh. at that point i couldnt catch up, his style of playing was completely unforseen by anyone since no one i knew played with him. i almost caught up and won, but he got such a huge jump on me before i got a hold of things.

then i played himin a friendly afterwards and 4 stocked him, didnt use a single projectile.

it was really weird. i was so disappointed in myself...

First off, a Fox who reflects projectiles usually doesn't know what he's doing. This is because Fox was made to rush, not sit there reflecting. To counter this, pull a bomb and short hop. after short hopping, there are three ways to throw the bomb foreward. if you fast fall and throw the bomb at about the same time, you'll throw the bomb at the opponent's feet. if you throw the bomb after the fast fall, you'll throw it straight ahead. If you throw the bomb directly after beginning a fast fall, you'll actually throw it over your head. Use the last one I mentioned. Throw the bomb over your head towards the Fox so he reflects it. Then dash at him or wave land towards him. the bomb will reflect and go over your head, leaving you with a free hit while he suffers from the lag of the reflection. If he's really a n00b, pull a bomb, run at him and when he puts on his reflector, use the spin attack instead of throwing the bomb.:chuckle:

SLH

Smash Journeyman
why would they be rushing at you in the first place if you were holding a bomb?

SLH

Smash Journeyman
oh

sorry, didn't know getting hit by a bomb was a mindgame

Deva

Smash Lord
oh

sorry, didn't know getting hit by a bomb was a mindgame
lol, he didn't mean it like that. It isn't that hard to jump over the bomb or spot dodge aside from other strategies. You are right though, it would be better to stay back while Link has a bomb. Still, you could mind game him into throwing it poorly if you rush. Just don't get hit.

SLH

Smash Journeyman
you're right, it's not hard at all to jump over it or spot dodge

but if they did that, they wouldn't be any where near you when you dropped it anyway. at least by throwing it you don't have it explode in your face.

Deva

Smash Lord
Sorry, you misunderstood. I meant by rushing Link you may mindgame him into throwing it instead of dropping it. For example rush and wavedash back. This would either cause the Link to drop the bomb while you weren't there or throw the bomb poorly. The strategy I mentioned was in reference to the second. If the Link dropped it and missed while you wavedashed, he's pretty much screwed.

tHrilla`

Smash Journeyman
fox don't give a **** if you're holding a bomb or not, he's gonna be rushing your *** regardless. so bomb-drops can be/are effective, ideally against those who are aggressive. also, a creative mind craves the bomb-drops' possibilities.

Deva

Smash Lord
^^

Pretty much. I've never actually seen a Fox stop rushing because he saw Link with a bomb:laugh: . Obviously SLH thinks it's pretty common so I was just explaining some mind games Fox could use if he didn't like rushing, though as you said, a good Fox will rush you anyways.

Top Bottom