• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Body Image Issues

Click Klack

Smash Cadet
We all feel down on our looks sometimes, but what happens when sometimes becomes all the time. Wanting to go to a public restroom just to check how you look, or weighing your self multiple times a day and wearing baggy cloths to cover your body. Even to the point where you starve your self. I've started High School recently and you always feel watched in High School even if you know no one really cares, you still feel anxious about it. Has anyone else had these problems?

You can just vent out some anxieties if you want no judgement from me.

_BETA_

Smash Cadet
NNID
Pootyromano
I used to have these thoughts on my late elementary school days. But then something snapped at the end of 5th grade that made me start thinking I am the most gorgeous being on the planet. Because I am :^]

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
I was a bit chubby for my age back in the day, and other kids or so-called "friends" of mine would occasionally point that out to make fun of me. So I started to wear a sweater in attempt to hide my fat that I was so ashamed of. I'd wear it all the time too, even in summer. It's a signature thing of mine, like how ZeRo wears his white scarf all the time. Only except that I switch sweaters per year, but that's beside the point. The point is that sometimes in life, you just gotta not care all the time or try too hard. If they expect the most out of you, then that's their problem. Although I'd rather be more in shape, I'm still perfectly content with my current body. I got my fat bod from eating, relaxing, and not exercising; that's the life for me.

Last edited:
I was also kinda chubby. Then I grew up, and my body sort of evened out. Still kinda hate it, but at least I don't look like Ron Jeremy. I can take pride in that, at the very least.

Note to everyone ever: Wear clothes that fit. Nothin' is worse than a way-too-big shirt. Unless they're like, your pajamas. I had a tendency to wear bigger shirts to make the unsavory aspects of my torso less pronounced, but it just looks horrendous.

D

Deleted member

I too used to be on the chubby side and I was pretty self-conscious about it. I've lost weight now, but I still think I look ugly in the face. Well, I don't think that all the time, but whenever I'm in a bad mood I can't help but to feel that way.

Pachinkosam

I have no friends, Im dead inside
I too used to be on the chubby side and I was pretty self-conscious about it. I've lost weight now, but I still think I look ugly in the face. Well, I don't think that all the time, but whenever I'm in a bad mood I can't help but to feel that way.
Must be your imagination.

Pachinkosam

I have no friends, Im dead inside
What do you mean? That I think I look ugly? o.o
Yeah it's all in your mind I think everybody once in there life said that I think I'm ugly in reality you're not.

Just be positive.

Last edited:

Kneutronic

Lurker By Nature
3DS FC
2062-9725-8885
Switch FC
SW-1036-7436-7807
Looks are never important. It's what's on the inside that should really count. I absolutely hate how people are judged just because of how they look.

I don't consider myself to be handsome, but I absolutely do not care about that. On the inside, I am caring and very friendly, albeit one who prefers to keep to himself.

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
Eh most people don't have time to get to know everyone though. You will be judged on your looks and outward appearance, that is one of the most human instincts there are.

So IMO it's up to you to be the best version of yourself that you can be. The best looking, most in shape (if that is a priority), best dressed, well groomed.

Everything from friends, to potential GFs/BFs, to the boss that hires you and the employees you work with. You will be judged, and a large majority that say they don't judge other based on look are telling a lie to some extent. It's subconscious and beyond your control, you will find some people attractive right away and treat them more favorably (it's foolish to deny this)

What's on the inside does of course count, once you get past the superficial. But when you walk by the mirror naked, you should be thinking "Damnnnn.....I'd do me". Gotta be comfortable in your skin, and confident that others find you attractive.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I was very slender and limber growing up, bulk wasn't really good for the athletic stuff I did. My friends used to pick on me for being slender and stuff :p

Now I'm bigger than all of them since I can lift without it interfering with anything. Ultimately if you have something that you can change then do it. I never actually had much of a problem with being slim, but it can be handy having wide shoulders and stuff lol

Foxus

Smash Ace
NNID
Greatfox1
Take it from someone who suffers from both bulimia and anorexia (I know its hard to put the two in the same equation), it makes it hard to cope in everyday life. Similar to what you said in your OP, the mirror has become more of a fiend of mine than merely showing just my own reflection.

Buffoon

Smash Ace
NNID
Buffoon_on_U
3DS FC
1719-3804-4029
Around senior year of high school I started walking to school and walking home instead of taking the bus every day. Next thing I knew, almost everyone I knew kept asking me if I lost weight. And yeah, I did. It's pretty cool how the simple exercise go a long way towards helping your body.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I never thought I looked that bad

But, on the other hand no one's attracted to me...so...

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
I never thought I looked that bad

But, on the other hand no one's attracted to me...so...
You mean not yet.
Nobody's attracted to you yet.
We live in a big world, so chances are there's going to be at least one person that likes you.
Trust me, I'm going to the same problems you are, but I think I'll just wait it out. There are some other important things to be done first before I can truly be happy.

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
Do both of you guys have room to improve (better style, hair, better shape, etc)? Or are you making these assumptions based on things you feel are set in stone like your face/height/etc?

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
Do both of you guys have room to improve (better style, hair, better shape, etc)? Or are you making these assumptions based on things you feel are set in stone like your face/height/etc?
Well, for me, there may or may not be something I could perfect. Better shape, possibly. I wanna be at least more fit than the way I am now. And I am trying to grow out my hair too, so there's that.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
You mean not yet.
Nobody's attracted to you yet.
We live in a big world, so chances are there's going to be at least one person that likes you.
Trust me, I'm going to the same problems you are, but I think I'll just wait it out. There are some other important things to be done first before I can truly be happy.
I'll be 30 in 5 months. There is a point when yet is just not going to happen

Even when I was in great shape, weight lifting and the likes, no one did.

Approaching 30 my body is not only going to go down from here.

Doesn't help I'm only 5'3

Last edited:

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
I'll be 30 in 5 months. There is a point when yet is just not going to happen

Even when I was in great shape, weight lifting and the likes, no one did.

Approaching 30 my body is not only going to go down from here.

Doesn't help I'm only 5'3
Ah yea height...it sucks when it's out of your control. I'm 5' 7 so I feel ya but to a lesser extent.

Good news is there are plenty of shorter chicks, or even taller chicks that are into shorter men (if you don't mind a taller GF). The only thing I personally worry about it having a son that gets the short genes like I did, I hope something skips a generation and he gets some tall genes or I have a daughter.

FairyGardens435

Smash Cadet
NNID
FAIRYWARS98
3DS FC
2810-1101-1258
Recently I've had issues with my weight, due to a health problem that my family has a history of having. Because of it I'm very skinny, and no matter how much food I eat, I never seem to gain any weight.

The fears I have are that someone (a teacher, for example.) may think I'm anorexic or that I'm not eating, and that if I tell them my health problem they will either not believe me or worse, make jokes.

Some of my teachers and educational assistants don't understand my health problems, so that's pretty frustrating. It sucks. :/

Last edited:

Peff

Smash Cadet
I don't care about physical appearance, either mine or others'. Except for hair. My hair must be alright.

If I were to lose weight and take care of myself, I would probably be "attractive," but I don't want that. Imagining someone thinking of me in some kind of improper way is sickening.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I feel like I'm too wide.

On my sides, at least, you can feel bone

But I just look too wide...

Hina

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0130-3055-0413
I feel like I'm too wide.

On my sides, at least, you can feel bone

But I just look too wide...

Hey, no need to worry about height! I'm also 5'3" and I'm totally okay with my height. We even get to live longer than the taller people.

Lily♫

(✿◠‿◠)
NNID
NheroArconix
3DS FC
5112-3935-5323
Hey, no need to worry about height! I'm also 5'3" and I'm totally okay with my height. We even get to live longer than the taller people.
I'm tall and I wish I was smaller. I'm like 5'9"or something like that. bleegh.

I have some really bad issues, but I can blame that on dysphoria...

Muscle_Senpai

Smash Apprentice
I body build, if that doesn't scream out about what an insecure little girl I am about myself I don't know what does.

FlusteredBat

Smash Journeyman
Assuming you don't look like a deformed troll, height is pretty much the only thing that matters if you're a heterosexual male... and it matters a lot.

It takes significantly disproportional financial compensation to make up for a height deficiency.

Last edited:

Chinaux

Smash Ace
fat shaming is good because it should help the victim lose weight to avoid being a disgusting fatass

FlusteredBat

Smash Journeyman
fat shaming is good because it should help the victim lose weight to avoid being a disgusting fatass
That isn't actually as effective as people like to think. Putting someone down tends to promote darker defeatist thoughts, pulling them back into crippling habits which artificially regulate their short-term emotions.

Love and acceptance tend to be far more effective toward addressing harmful addictions rather than making people feel like freaks or social outcasts. Addiction usually results from a relative lack of love and acceptance during childhood which stifles one's capacity to produce a healthy amount of dopamine without external assistance.

Last edited:

Chinaux

Smash Ace
That isn't actually as effective as people like to think. Putting someone down tends to promote darker defeatist thoughts, pulling them back into crippling habits which artificially regulate their short-term emotions.

Love and acceptance tend to be far more effective toward addressing harmful addictions rather than making people feel like freaks or social outcasts. Addiction usually results from a relative lack of love and acceptance during childhood which stifles one's capacity to produce a healthy amount of dopamine without external assistance.
I'm sorry, but you're wrong. I used to be on the thicker side, and honestly nothing made me want to hit the gym more than when people made fun of me for it.

Kneutronic

Lurker By Nature
3DS FC
2062-9725-8885
Switch FC
SW-1036-7436-7807
...Sure, it works for you.

But it doesn't mean it will work for everyone else.

Chinaux

Smash Ace
Looks are never important. It's what's on the inside that should really count.
This should be true, however if you look like you don't care at all about yourself (poor hygiene is a huge example of this), then that's when it starts to matter.

Kneutronic

Lurker By Nature
3DS FC
2062-9725-8885
Switch FC
SW-1036-7436-7807
This should be true, however if you look like you don't care at all about yourself (poor hygiene is a huge example of this), then that's when it starts to matter.
So hygiene is important for good looks, eh?

Maybe I wasn't specific enough when I said "looks." I meant it as people should still believe that having good hygiene is always an important factor. Other than that... Yeah, you know where this is going.

FlusteredBat

Smash Journeyman
I'm sorry, but you're wrong. I used to be on the thicker side, and honestly nothing made me want to hit the gym more than when people made fun of me for it.
What am I wrong about? I didn't say that "tough love" can never produce results, only that it's typically ineffective if there's a significant history of abuse to surmount. Try to avoid projecting the quality of your own upbringing upon everybody else.

It's important to be open and honest with your friends/family about health concerns, though that does not necessarily entail treating them like crap.

Last edited:

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
I understand both sides, but really I tend to agree more with whichever is less pandering. Of course I don't condone any kind of verbal bullying but you have to know that it is inevitable and biological.

As a human being, early on you should know that you define your own happiness. If you are so easily affected by other opinions that is a very large weakness that we tend to "baby" and support way too much in modern society. This is to a mild degree a mental handicap; some are more gullible, susceptible to mob mentality or bullying. In the US especially this behavior is nurtured, so the problem compounds itself and the person becomes less and less resistant to verbal attacks or opinions.

If you want to slit your wrists, commit suicide, or go anorexic just from strangers comments that's on you. Doesn't matter what you are that makes you a target (cross dressing, obese, transgender, ugly, etc) if you don't understand from a young age how to deal.....your whole life will be full of lying to yourself and self-loathing. Society has always caught up and got used to what becomes more commonplace, but there will always be something on the fringe that will get singled out by those that seek out easy targets.

Instead of all this anti-bullying crap (which will never really affects change since the bullies don't care), we need to be promoting people to be more independent/confident in thought and opinion. Teaching kids that they should be more selective with who to take seriously and who to ignore, they need to realize not all opinions carry the same weight (especially online).

Physical bullying is a whole other topic; to a degree it can be countered as well by the victim, but not always. This kind of bullying is also normal human behavior unfortunately, from our biological roots (and many other animals). Find the weak/fat/lazy/abnormal/different, get rid of them to make the species or community stronger. It's an instinctual relic of the past that we no longer need, but probably won't ever get rid of.

Last edited:

Chinaux

Smash Ace
So hygiene is important for good looks, eh?

Maybe I wasn't specific enough when I said "looks." I meant it as people should still believe that having good hygiene is always an important factor. Other than that... Yeah, you know where this is going.
You know what I mean. You have to actually look like you take care of yourself.

Kneutronic

Lurker By Nature
3DS FC
2062-9725-8885
Switch FC
SW-1036-7436-7807
I understand both sides, but really I tend to agree more with whichever is less pandering. Of course I don't condone any kind of verbal bullying but you have to know that it is inevitable and biological.

As a human being, early on you should know that you define your own happiness. If you are so easily affected by other opinions that is a very large weakness that we tend to "baby" and support way too much in modern society. This is to a mild degree a mental handicap; some are more gullible, susceptible to mob mentality or bullying. In the US especially this behavior is nurtured, so the problem compounds itself and the person becomes less and less resistant to verbal attacks or opinions.

If you want to slit your wrists, commit suicide, or go anorexic just from strangers comments that's on you. Doesn't matter what you are that makes you a target (cross dressing, obese, transgender, ugly, etc) if you don't understand from a young age how to deal.....your whole life will be full of lying to yourself and self-loathing. Society has always caught up and got used to what becomes more commonplace, but there will always be something on the fringe that will get singled out by those that seek out easy targets.

Instead of all this anti-bullying crap (which will never really affects change since the bullies don't care), we need to be promoting people to be more independent/confident in thought and opinion. Teaching kids that they should be more selective with who to take seriously and who to ignore, they need to realize not all opinions carry the same weight (especially online).

Physical bullying is a whole other topic; to a degree it can be countered as well by the victim, but not always. This kind of bullying is also normal human behavior unfortunately, from our biological roots (and many other animals). Find the weak/fat/lazy/abnormal/different, get rid of them to make the species or community stronger. It's an instinctual relic of the past that we no longer need, but probably won't ever get rid of.
...I would really like to know how you're getting all this information on... Well, everything. You're like a scholar to me. And that's a compliment, by the way.

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
...I would really like to know how you're getting all this information on... Well, everything. You're like a scholar to me. And that's a compliment, by the way.
I guess just from life experiences and taking chances. Every time something pivotal or significant happens in my life or I reach an absolute extreme in mental health (very good or very bad) I always try and think about what led to it and how others played their part.

From an early age I also took an interest in sociology, specifically all the fascinating social psychology experiments that have been recorded in the past 80 years. When I think about the masses, it actually scare me a bit. The way that a very large majority of the population acts, and how most still have the mindset we had 100s or 1000s of years ago hidden under a facade of their modern day "civilized" personality they project daily. Most prefer to follow, prefer taking orders, prefer being told what to do and how to think, prefer to form groups and discriminate, prefer to gossip and lie, prefer to make fun of others at their expense, prefer to succumb to the will of larger groups/mobs, prefer to believe in something just because everyone else believes it, etc

Hina

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0130-3055-0413
I'm tall and I wish I was smaller. I'm like 5'9"or something like that. bleegh.

I have some really bad issues, but I can blame that on dysphoria...
Don't worry, I have those issues, too. You can be cute or attractive as a woman regardless of height, so no feeling bad.

Last edited:

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Looks are never important. It's what's on the inside that should really count. I absolutely hate how people are judged just because of how they look.
Don't use ideals to spread lies.

Looks are important, your physical features are an expression of your genetic code, the strength of said genetic code, and your overall health. People are hard coded to react to these things, and while it is totally unconscious, it does have a very significant effect. Who we are attracted to isn't something within our control, if it were, I think a lot of us would have made wiser choices over the years.

Caring about looks alone is one thing, but saying that looks are never important is absurd. Besides, people are all attracted to different things, which is where the attraction to looks thing isn't even much of an issue. Pretty much anyone can be appreciated in that way, so it's not like you have to conform to some societal standard of beauty to find a partner.

But yeah I feel you on your dislike of people only judging based off of looks, but they always end up getting screwed anyway so it's nbd.

Top Bottom