• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Body Image Issues

Kneutronic

Lurker By Nature
3DS FC
2062-9725-8885
Switch FC
SW-1036-7436-7807
Don't use ideals to spread lies.

Looks are important, your physical features are an expression of your genetic code, the strength of said genetic code, and your overall health. People are hard coded to react to these things, and while it is totally unconscious, it does have a very significant effect. Who we are attracted to isn't something within our control, if it were, I think a lot of us would have made wiser choices over the years.

Caring about looks alone is one thing, but saying that looks are never important is absurd. Besides, people are all attracted to different things, which is where the attraction to looks thing isn't even much of an issue. Pretty much anyone can be appreciated in that way, so it's not like you have to conform to some societal standard of beauty to find a partner.

But yeah I feel you on your dislike of people only judging based off of looks, but they always end up getting screwed anyway so it's nbd.
...So, here's what I'm getting from what you said;

We have no control of our looks, and as such how we look is how we remain for the rest of our life, perhaps with a few minor updates of our health and physique from here to there? And how we are coded can also make different people have different preferences? I completely understand as such; there are people out there who may see something attractive whereas most see is as rather average.

...Alas, I feel this is turning into more of a subject of debate... I don't even know why I posted here in the first place, as difficult topics like these are absolutely not my strongest suit. I always end up saying something stupid.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
You shouldn't feel bad for being idealistic, but I think people make the importance of looks sound worse than it is. People have different tastes in everything, and romantic partners are no exception.

Everyone can find someone compatible, we are wired to find the best generic match to our own (for healthy offspring), so while there is clearly a lot of overlap in who people find attractive, you will be attractive to people out there, and you will be attracted to people who others find unappealing.

I honestly think that's quite a nice thing in the end.

Kneutronic

Lurker By Nature
3DS FC
2062-9725-8885
Switch FC
SW-1036-7436-7807
They do?

...I guess they can be a little difficult to grasp in the end, but... I've just always held on to that belief, grasping at what little hope we may have and assuming that what you have on the inside truly matters.

...I have a lot to think about.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
What's on the inside does matter, it's what makes finding a life partner so hard lol.

TimeChain

Smash Apprentice
NNID
777brawlfan
3DS FC
4484-9816-4641
I've always been a scrawny guy. It doesn't matter how much I eat, even if I eat poutine and pizza every day for lunch, I'll still look like I haven't been eating much at all. Heck, I don't even exercise (I really should; my hands are often pretty cold and my arms feel pretty bony...). I'm also rather tall (I think I'm around 5'9'') and wear glasses which always get crooked in some way. I don't think too hard about my physical appearance, but its always in the back of my mind. Plus, I personally think I look pretty good. ;)

Ravine

Smash Journeyman
I never had this problem. I don't hang out with those types of people who love to do those girly things like put on makeup or do their hair. Looking pretty is nice, but I don't make it my main priority in life. Maybe if I get some sort of career by being pretty, then I will start to care about it more.

I do want to look nice for photos. I don't want the future generations to know I had a zit on June 13 when I was hanging out on the beach lol.

I've always been a scrawny guy. It doesn't matter how much I eat, even if I eat poutine and pizza every day for lunch, I'll still look like I haven't been eating much at all. Heck, I don't even exercise (I really should; my hands are often pretty cold and my arms feel pretty bony...). I'm also rather tall (I think I'm around 5'9'') and wear glasses which always get crooked in some way. I don't think too hard about my physical appearance, but its always in the back of my mind. Plus, I personally think I look pretty good. ;)
Exercise will make you gain weight in that case! Eating will help you with the nutrients.. That or you have tapeworms. :011::011::011::042:

Top Bottom