• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Bob-Omg Social: Count to 300 bob-ombs!

Luig

Confused
Yeah, what you said A10...
It's a common misconception that Melee has more hitstun than brawl and 4. However, that's just because more BKB in 4 and brawl, airdodges being usable out of tumble(and no helplessness), and fall speeds and gravity are universally lower.

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero
SG never responded when I told him to scroll up and read my old posts, so I might as well write them again:
Smash 4 has the same hitstun formula as Melee and Brawl. It's the overall increased base knockback and lower fall speeds that really prevents combos.
Yeah, but it's not by much. Airdodging is still a much stronger option since, unlike in Melee, it won't make you helpless. And again, rage, the increased base knockback, and fall speeds lower than Melee's mean it's not combo-oriented. Increasing the hit stun would just make the characters with combo-oriented playstyles stronger and increase the gap between top tier and bottom tier characters.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Airdodges in brawl and 4 have the same amount of invincibility frames (sans a few character specific ones)
I'll look it up.

. . .

Smash 4's air dodges have 11-15 less frames of ending lag depending on the character, but saying an air dodge is quicker than 25 frames for any character is an exaggeration. (fastest is 28, slowest is 34)

However, in smash 4, airdodges have much more IASA frames than in brawl. Try it out. It's actually really noticeable.
No.

Again, it's the lowered ending lag.

Last edited:

Luig

Confused
I'll look it up.

. . .

Smash 4's air dodges have 11-15 less frames of ending lag depending on the character, but saying it has less than 25 frames of lag for any of them is an exaggeration. (fastest is 28, slowest is 34)

No.

Again, it's the lowered ending lag.
IASA means how many interruptible frames the attack has. that's what I meant by IASA. It meant less end lag.

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero
84 people don't chuckle

I personally prefer the lack of combos because it means that there's a greater emphasis on reading and predicting your opponent. It makes the mental aspect of the competition more interesting, but it comes at the cost of visual competition, so it's understandable why that's unpopular.
Regardless, to increase the amount of combos, they would first have to decrease the knockback in certain attacks, especially those of lower-tiered characters. Decreasing the endlag and startup in certain attacks would work too. The only hard part would be maintaining each character's unique aspects while doing this.

Luig

Confused
It's like all the people that think there can be a perfectly balanced game. You can't have a game like this without having a character that is better than another character, unless you sacrifice the characters' originality. So have fun with all your mario clones.

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero
Brawl was more unbalanced because it was pretty much Meta Knight or death.
Melee was more balanced with at least 8 different characters being common victors.

Smudges

and we're back.
NNID
Smudges0
IASA basically means doing something before the attack ends.

Air dodges don't have those frames; you can't do anything until the air dodge is over.
Correct. Certain moves appear to have a long animation, but can actually be interrupted during the animation. Things like MK's Fsmash, and Rob's down tilt. Especially the latter. He has this animation where he pulls his hands back, but you can cancel that by doing anything else.

Sorry, you guys are too quick for me...

Last edited:

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
All this Smash talk has inspired me to post my current Melee tier list:

Hat n' clogs' Super Smash Bros. Melee tier list

Current as of July 7th, 2015

SS/OP Tier: :foxmelee::marthmelee::falcomelee:
S/Top Tier: :sheikmelee::peachmelee:
A/High Tier: :falconmelee::jigglypuffmelee::icsmelee:
B/Mid-High Tier: :samusmelee::pikachumelee:
C/Middle Tier: :luigimelee::drmario::yoshimelee:
D/Mid-Low Tier: :mariomelee::ganondorfmelee:
E/Upper Low Tier: :younglinkmelee::linkmelee::dkmelee:
F/Low Tier: :gawmelee::zeldamelee::mewtwomelee:
G/Bottom Tier: :roymelee::pichumelee::nessmelee:
H/LOL FAIL Tier: :bowsermelee::kirbymelee:

Mega-Tiers:

Viable: :foxmelee::marthmelee::falcomelee::sheikmelee::peachmelee::falconmelee::jigglypuffmelee::icsmelee::samusmelee::pikachumelee:
Semi-Viable: :luigimelee::drmario::yoshimelee::mariomelee::ganondorfmelee:
Not Viable: :younglinkmelee::linkmelee::dkmelee::gawmelee::zeldamelee::mewtwomelee::roymelee::pichumelee::nessmelee::bowsermelee::kirbymelee:

Last edited:

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
Put Marth on S and I completely agree, Hat
The reason why I put :marthmelee: in SS in-between the spacies is because his attack range is SO GOOD and his predictable recovery is the only critical weakness that can be seen. :marthmelee: has good speed, amazing combos, solid KO power, nice dash dancing, the Ken Combo, and isn't as easy to combo as his fellow top tier brethren (aside from :peachmelee:. She's pretty much immune to zero-death lol).

Anyway, :falcomelee: has worse recovery than :marthmelee:, and :falcomelee: has good range but not GREAT range. :falcomelee: can also get combo'ed for days and his endurance isn't the best (vertical is amazing, but horizontal is poor). :falcomelee: has decent KO power, but it's not as good as :foxmelee:'s. :falcomelee: still has arguably the best combo game in the roster, though. :falcomelee: is a little faster than :marthmelee:, but I still think Marth beats him overall, in stats and in specific matchups.

However, :foxmelee: is indeed the best character. Best mobility, arguably the best combo game, decent recovery, solid KO power, good mind game potential. His attack range is even manageable despite being mediocre. Only critical weaknesses he has is that he can get KOed easily if you get comboed hard. :foxmelee: is not only a fast faller, but is also a light weight. This can be problematic if the player isn't careful and/or skilled at DI. Even so, he's still got good enough pros to be better than :marthmelee:.

Overall, :marthmelee: is good enough to go toe-to-toe with the spacies IMO, but he's not the best character in the game because :foxmelee: has better combos, mobility, KO setups, the shine, matchups, etc. while I think :marthmelee: is better than :falcomelee: because :falcomelee: has worse recovery, can get easily comboed and edgeguarded by :marthmelee: and also other characters, and :marthmelee: has amazing attack range
(maybe the best in the game; or at least even with :dkmelee: and :ganondorfmelee:).

I'm not a professional Melee player, so don't take this as gospel truth. This is just what I have observed from watching tournaments on youtube.

Last edited:

Smudges

and we're back.
NNID
Smudges0
Sorry, but melee Bowser is a competitively viable Solo-Main, and I resent his low placement in your tier list. You are WRONG. :troll:

Last edited:
Top Bottom