• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Bob-Omg Social: Count to 300 bob-ombs!

Blossom ✿

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1923-2750-8413

I have no idea lol

And as for the Best Game Ever competition comment section... good grief. It honestly looks like your typical comment section on a lot of sites really.

LucarioDude

Not Gray Fox
38 moderators passed by the thread and still didn't change the thread title. Does that mean we finally get trophy points?

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
Since we are (and were) talking about the best (smash) game ever, time for a ranking!

Code:
Perfection
Love
Conflicted Feelings
Meh
Dislike
The Worst

1. Smash 4
My Mains: :4fox::4mario::4wario2:

This game has everything. A great roster, great stages, good alternate modes. Yes, Snake and IC's should have been back over Doc, Lucina, and Dark Pit (and maybe the Miis) and Smash Tour is something I'm not interested in. However, this game isn't too slow like Brawl but isn't too fast like Melee. It's an amazing balance in gameplay and maybe me favorite video game of all time <3

2. Melee

My Mains: :falcomelee::mariomelee::pichumelee:

Normally it's the Melee fanboys that start the flame wars from what I've seen, although every smash game fanbase has been at fault, including my own. Anyway, the blind nostalgia of Melee fanboys isn't fun to experience, and some ATs are hard to get used to. Yet, this was the game that introduced me to Smash Bros., and I still love the fast-paced gameplay, even though there's a learning curve. The character selection is good, the stage selection is good, and Pichu is hilarious <3

3. Original

My Mains: :fox64::kirby64:

The one that started it all. I love how true combos are possible, but I haven't played it too much because of the limited characters, the limited stage options, and the limited game modes (no All-Star :cry:)

4. Brawl

My Mains: :fox::falco::mario2:

Ok, I have a lot of good memories playing this game. This was the game to play back in middle school and high school, and many a good friendship has been made over this game. Co-op All-Star is great, the veterans are overall nice additions, and the soundtrack is well made. However, there are a few fundamental problems. First: tripping is dumb. It screws up the match pace completely. Second, Fox is easy as crap to KO when compared to Melee, Smash 4, and even the original, Mario has laughable range when compared to his other versions, which leaves Falco as my only Brawl main that doesn't leave me with a void in my soul due to nerfing. Third, the pacing is slow, not only because of tripping, but because of slower physics and no possible way to have true combos. Oh, and fourth:

:metaknight:

:(:mad::rolleyes:

No Smash Bros. game is bad, remember that everyone.

Last edited:

Luig

Confused
In the next patch, is it wrong that I'm hopelessly hoping for more hitstun? Brawl's hitstun formula just.......
Why did they keep it?

64 is my favorite. Kinda because it was the first smash game I ever played, and it's very well balanced.... compared to some other smash games..... and the combos?
:rotfl:

Last edited:

Kneutronic

Lurker By Nature
3DS FC
2062-9725-8885
Switch FC
SW-1036-7436-7807
00, or 51, for those who are counting.
Since we are (and were) talking about the best (smash) game ever, time for a ranking!

Code:
Perfection
Love
Conflicted Feelings
Meh
Dislike
The Worst

1. Smash 4
My Mains: :4fox::4mario::4wario2:

This game has everything. A great roster, great stages, good alternate modes. Yes, Snake and IC's should have been back over Doc, Lucina, and Dark Pit (and maybe the Miis) and Smash Tour is something I'm not interested in. However, this game isn't too slow like Brawl but isn't too fast like Melee. It's an amazing balance in gameplay and maybe me favorite video game of all time <3

2. Melee

My Mains: :falcomelee::mariomelee::pichumelee:

Normally it's the Melee fanboys that start the flame wars from what I've seen, although every smash game fanbase has been at fault, including my own. Anyway, the blind nostalgia of Melee fanboys isn't fun to experience, and some ATs are hard to get used to. Yet, this was the game that introduced me to Smash Bros., and I still love the fast-paced gameplay, even though there's a learning curve. The character selection is good, the stage selection is good, and Pichu is hilarious <3

3. Original

My Mains: :fox64::kirby64:

The one that started it all. I love how true combos are possible, but I haven't played it too much because of the limited characters, the limited stage options, and the limited game modes (no All-Star :cry:)

4. Brawl

My Mains: :fox::falco::mario2:

Ok, I have a lot of good memories playing this game. This was the game to play back in middle school and high school, and many a good friendship has been made over this game. Co-op All-Star is great, the veterans are overall nice additions, and the soundtrack is well made. However, there are a few fundamental problems. First: tripping is dumb. It screws up the match pace completely. Second, Fox is easy as crap to KO when compared to Melee, Smash 4, and even the original, Mario has laughable range when compared to his other versions, which leaves Falco as my only Brawl main that doesn't leave me with a void in my soul due to nerfing. Third, the pacing is slow, not only because of tripping, but because of slower physics and no possible way to have true combos. Oh, and fourth:

:metaknight:

:(:mad::rolleyes:
Yeah, I pretty much agree with you on that list. I personally feel that Smash 4 is the best of the Smash games, and Brawl is likely the worst. I need to get into Melee and Smash 64 more to have an honest opinion, though.

Last edited:

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero
Smash 4 has the same hitstun formula as Melee and Brawl. It's the overall increased base knockback and lower fall speeds that really prevents combos.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504

Smash 4 may have the same formula, but I remember Brawl gave the ability to cancel hitstun if you inputted something at the right time (a few frames), an ability known as "hitstun canceling"

Smash 4 doesn't have that; you need to wait until hitstun is over to do something.

In short, it's the same formula, but without the "easy" way out.

Last edited:

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero
Yeah, but it's not by much. Airdodging is still a much stronger option since unlike in Melee, it won't make you helpless. And again, rage, the increased base knockback, and fall speeds lower than Melee's mean it's not combo-oriented. Increasing the hit stun would just make the characters with combo-oriented playstyles stronger and increase the gap between top tier and bottom tier characters.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Also, Brawl and Smash 4 have the same hitstun formula than Melee. The exact same one...unless one counts Brawl's "hitstun canceling" mechanic.

Yeah, but it's not by much.
If you saw how broken hitstun canceling is, you wouldn't say that.

That technique essentially allows you to get out of literally anything in less than 15 frames. And I mean ANYTHING!

That's why combos are impossible in Brawl, because we can always escape, regardless of how much hitstun we get.

Smash 4 removed it, thankfully, bringing back a bigger combo game.

Kneutronic

Lurker By Nature
3DS FC
2062-9725-8885
Switch FC
SW-1036-7436-7807

What do you think I've been doing, eh?

Anyway, I gotta go, guys, I have work to do. Bleck...

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero
If you saw how broken hitstun canceling is, you wouldn't say that.

That technique essentially allows you to get out of literally anything in less than 15 frames. And I mean ANYTHING!

That's why combos are impossible in Brawl, because we can always escape, regardless of how much hitstun we get.

Smash 4 removed it, thankfully, bringing back a bigger combo game.
I was comparing it to Melee. :facepalm:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

did we skip one or did something happen? i'm really confused.

65/66

Last edited by a moderator:

Luig

Confused
I actually think they should bring back brawl airdodge, but keep the ground lag.

Brawl's airdodges actually had more than 3 frames of end lag.

Top Bottom