• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Bob-Omg Social: Count to 300 bob-ombs!

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero
I'm unsure if I dislike antrhos more than humanized characters, though...
Humanized anthropomorphic characters that still retain their animal characteristics are much much worse. In my opinion, when the Equestria Girls have pony ears and (some of them) wings is when it gets a little creepy. Not to mention the various skin colors.

Pretty much Prototype 1 didn't meet the expectations of EA so they rewrote Alex Mercer's story AFTER the game was released and they forced him to become a villain in the second game when the version of him in the first game wouldn't have done the actions they placed upon him. Not to mention Prototype 1 was already good and didn't need to be changed. Then when prototype 2 didn't meet the sales EA dropped the series entirely when it was their intervention that led to its downfall..
Oh, how tragic. In Skylanders, though, it's not that they rewrote his story. It was more like a sequel to the Legend of Spyro in its story. The original version of Skylanders--Spyro's Kingdom--had a grown up Spyro after the events of Dawn of the Dragon ruling a kingdom. In our Skylanders, he was invited to Skylands from his hometown after the events of Dawn of the Dragon. That's why Cynder, Sparx, and Moneybags (renamed Auric) appear in the series too. (Side note: He can actually still go back to his old world in Skyanders: Lost Islands). But I guess, yeah, it's still kinda similar to what happened with Prototype, though to a much lesser extent.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453

Humanized anthropomorphic characters that still retain their animal characteristics are much much worse. In my opinion, when the Equestria Girls have pony ears and (some of them) wings is when it gets a little creepy. Not to mention the various skin colors.

Oh, how tragic. In Skylanders, though, it's not that they rewrote his story. It was more like a sequel to the Legend of Spyro in its story. The original version of Skylanders--Spyro's Kingdom--had a grown up Spyro after the events of Dawn of the Dragon ruling a kingdom. In our Skylanders, he was invited to Skylands from his hometown after the events of Dawn of the Dragon. That's why Cynder, Sparx, and Moneybags (renamed Auric) appear in the series too. (Side note: He can actually still go back to his old world in Skyanders: Lost Islands). But I guess, yeah, it's still kinda similar to what happened with Prototype, though to a much lesser extent.
Yeah. I'm not sure which I dislike more, but of the two, anthros are easily much more disturbing. I especially agree that the half-pony forms look weird.

The skin color thing bothered me too. This is supposed to be the human world, right? I mean, some characters like Big Mac had their coloration toned down to look more natural, yet, in spite of that, others like Rainbow Dash are still completely blue, Rarity is still a pure pale white, Derpy is still gray....and no one seems to be bothered by the fact that the sudden new girl has a rich purple skin tone either....

Last edited:

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero

Yeah. I'm not sure which I dislike more, but of the two, anthros are easily much more disturbing. I especially agree that the half-pony forms look weird.

The skin color thing bothered me too. This is supposed to be the human world, right? I mean, some characters like Big Mac had their coloration toned down to look more natural, yet, in spite of that, others like Rainbow Dash are still completely blue, Rarity is still a pure pale white, Derpy is still gray....and no one seems to be bothered by the fact that the sudden new girl has a rich purple skin tone either....
I know why they didn't give they human skin tones: They didn't want to handle the controversy of race in a little girl's fantasy movie. Having too many white people or not enough black people or something would've been something constantly plaguing them as they worked. So they took the easy way out and kept the same colors, with several exceptions (as you mentioned). This should've been one of the first signs that EG was a bad idea...

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
To be fair, I don't think I've ever seen a purple pony IRL

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453

I know why they didn't give they human skin tones: They didn't want to handle the controversy of race in a little girl's fantasy movie. Having too many white people or not enough black people or something would've been something constantly plaguing them as they worked. So they took the easy way out and kept the same colors, with several exceptions (as you mentioned). This should've been one of the first signs that EG was a bad idea...
Agreed tenfold.

The only thing I liked that we got out of EG is Sunset (who could've been a character in the main series or an entirely pony-focused movie) and well.....I still like the idea of Twilight having a love interest, so I'm alright with Flash (his human design is an eyesore, though. I have the same opinion on all male EG characters, as well as a few females like Celestia and Luna)

To be fair, I don't think I've ever seen a purple pony IRL

Yes, but have you seen unicorns or pegasai either? Or ponies that can well.....speak?

The pony world is magical and totally fictional. The human world seems more like ours, it's meant to be normal.....apart from the skin tones. That's it. I can understand why they did it as such, but it still looks very weird and out of place....IMO....

Last edited:

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569

It's pretty much they made him do it for reasons of another game.. I honestly wouldn't expect him to just leave his home on his own freewill..

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504

Why are we debating about the EG series?

The first one had a great concept in theory, but was so poorly executed that the sequels have also taken a hit from it.

As for the skin tones, I think it's to make it easier to tell the characters apart.

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453

Eh, I've just always hated the idea of humanization (unless there is a very good reason for it, like the character having been human in the past,, etc.....this was not a good reason at all to me....the characters not being human is what makes them special and different, IMO, it's one of the many reasons why I liked MLP as well......) so a part of me still dislikes the first one....

I don't really want to debate about it.

Last edited:

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero
It's pretty much they made him do it for reasons of another game.. I honestly wouldn't expect him to just leave his home on his own freewill..
Well at the end of Dawn of the Dragon, he fulfilled his destiny and took down Malefor. After doing what he was destined to do, I guess he was open for a new world to explore.

Why are we debating about the EG series?

The first one had a great concept in theory, but was so poorly executed that the sequels have also taken a hit from it.

As for the skin tones, I think it's to make it easier to tell the characters apart.
It's not really debating. We're just discussing the movies. No harm in that. :)

46 @ A10theHero A10theHero I was wrong about who did Prototype lol it was Activision not EA :facepalm:
What's the difference? :bluejump:

LoneKonWolf

Lazy Lonely Lurker☕

This is why I've never understood the "notice me senpai" meme.

Or found it funny, for that matter.
The Japanese are much more different when it comes to formalities, along with being much more interested with the concept of "love"

Combine these together, and you get the trope of a younger girl falling for an older guy

Thats where the meme came from

Last edited:

Luig

Confused
Bit late to this, but how would Twilight look as a Caucasian white girl?
(That came out worse than it sounded in my head)

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453

The Japanese are much more different when it formalities, along with being much more interested with the concept of "love"

Combine these together, and you get the trope of a younger girl falling for an older guy

Hmm....yeah. That does make sense.

As a meme or joke, I still don't think it's funny, though.

Bit late to this, but how would Twilight look as a Caucasian white girl?
(That came out worse than it sounded in my head)
I'd rather not picture any more human humanoid designs of ponies.

Last edited:

LoneKonWolf

Lazy Lonely Lurker☕

Hmm....yeah. That does make sense.

As a meme or joke, I still don't think it's funny, though.

I'd rather not picture any more human humanoid designs of ponies.
Well. . . im not exactly sure where the joke came from

Guess somebody found it funny, and. . . well. . . popularized it. . . i guess. . .

And now its here. . . somehow

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453

Maybe the first few times I could see it being funny, but most of the times that I come across it.....it's just pure meh....

Ah well. In the long run it's just another meme that I can easily disregard. :p

Top Bottom