• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bloshi's Yoshi?! You don't say?!

Bloshi

Smash Ace
Well, everyone is doing it, and I haven't posted vids in forever, but here's my Yoshi, winning an Atlanta low tier tournament against DP. I don't play against Ness that often, so it was a strange matchup, but it was alright in the end.

All matches are Bloshi (Yoshi) vs DP (Ness)
match 1
match 2
match 3
match 4
match 5

Comment and critique please!

D

Deleted member

Dang great Yoshi. I saw some of these on the ness boards :p

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: LOL YEHS I was looking at these in the video rooms. Bloshi, why are you THE MAN?!

Against Ness, just a few things I'd like to note.

Excellent use of up tilt and up smash. D1 would be proud. ^_^

I saw some nice jabbing! <3 Needs more! Especially near the edge!

Too many dash attacks, not enough gimps/down tilts. Also, when you interrupt his recovery and pop him up, you MUST take advantage and KO him. Not doing so is a total waste, but I'm sure you know that.

Do not DJC above Ness. Maybe at horizontal levels or slightly angular levels (I hope I'm phrasing this correctly), but DJCing too high above Ness or with too much space gives him room to fit in relatively good priority aerials to knock you back. It doesn't help that his aerials are high-knockback, either. Notice on Corneria that one DJC neutral air near the fin got your murdered for free.

There seemed to be one or two stock every now and then where (I don't know if you were sandbagging/got frustrated/were confused/didn't know what to do/were eating delicious food) you would just toss out attacks with no real direction and get owned for basically that entire stock. It seemed to be those few moments that cost you both matches you lost. I dunno, I just noticed that, especially in match 2, and I was like, "Aww, come on Blosh, you can do it~"

OVERALL

FIVE POINTS OUT OF FOUR WTF TOO GOOD

D

Deleted member

:yoshi: LOL YEHS I was looking at these in the video rooms. Bloshi, why are you THE MAN?!

Against Ness, just a few things I'd like to note.

Excellent use of up tilt and up smash. D1 would be proud. ^_^

I saw some nice jabbing! <3 Needs more! Especially near the edge!

Too many dash attacks, not enough gimps/down tilts. Also, when you interrupt his recovery and pop him up, you MUST take advantage and KO him. Not doing so is a total waste, but I'm sure you know that.

Do not DJC above Ness. Maybe at horizontal levels or slightly angular levels (I hope I'm phrasing this correctly), but DJCing too high above Ness or with too much space gives him room to fit in relatively good priority aerials to knock you back. It doesn't help that his aerials are high-knockback, either. Notice on Corneria that one DJC neutral air near the fin got your murdered for free.

There seemed to be one or two stock every now and then where (I don't know if you were sandbagging/got frustrated/were confused/didn't know what to do/were eating delicious food) you would just toss out attacks with no real direction and get owned for basically that entire stock. It seemed to be those few moments that cost you both matches you lost. I dunno, I just noticed that, especially in match 2, and I was like, "Aww, come on Blosh, you can do it~"

OVERALL

FIVE POINTS OUT OF FOUR WTF TOO GOOD
QFT, Bloshi's Yoshi is way too sexy for mortal eyes :p

rmusgrave

BRoomer
BRoomer
Beginning to feel like an *** of a mod

Burntsocks, sorry to pick on you so often. It's a pet peeve of mine when someone does a 'quote for truth' post without adding anything to the discussion. I would prefer if you didn't do it again, it makes a completely unnecessarily long post for no reason.

I know you aren't the only one who didn't contribute anything other than reassuring Bloshi that he is indeed awesome (sneaks in a compliment to Bloshi). I guess I wouldn't have minded if your post was as short as the others =P

At any rate, I plan to look at all the videos that have been recently posted and give good constructive criticisms where I can (and credit where it's due!) and where someone hasn't beaten me to it. Unfortunately, it will have to wait until Wednesday at the earliest, as my final final final final final final exams are going on at the moment.

D

Deleted member

Burntsocks, sorry to pick on you so often. It's a pet peeve of mine when someone does a 'quote for truth' post without adding anything to the discussion. I would prefer if you didn't do it again, it makes a completely unnecessarily long post for no reason.

I know you aren't the only one who didn't contribute anything other than reassuring Bloshi that he is indeed awesome (sneaks in a compliment to Bloshi). I guess I wouldn't have minded if your post was as short as the others =P

At any rate, I plan to look at all the videos that have been recently posted and give good constructive criticisms where I can (and credit where it's due!) and where someone hasn't beaten me to it. Unfortunately, it will have to wait until Wednesday at the earliest, as my final final final final final final exams are going on at the moment.
MODS ARE SO MEAN!!!!!!!!!!! *sobs* First Sinma, editing my posts to make me sound like i actually like ness, and now this!

On topic: bloshi, do u DI up or foward agaisnt ness's dthrow. Crap, i dont have anything to say thats useful. Guess ill edit this post later.

Bloshi

Smash Ace
I know you're supposed to DI the dthrow forward, but its become habit with so many other characters to DI a dthrow either back or up. That just doesn't work with Ness, and I get punished those times I don't remember.

In regards to the random throwing out attacks, it was probably the pressure of me getting anywhere in a tournament ever. And I lub dash attack, so that's what came out a lot of the time.

Eltrotraw

Smash Journeyman
Heh, I still spam dash attack sometimes. It's good for a "get out of the way" move, and it's somewhat fast. The lagtime's... eh. Not that bad, but it's punishable.

Anyway, my little critique:
I'll make the comments as I go through the vids... I'll try to be constructive here, though I might come off as a little nitpicky.

Match 1: Excellent use of utilt and uair + platforms. I can utilize uair somewhat like that, though I've been getting a little rusty. I'm betraying my Yoshi main status - I've been using Marth too much! I have to say though that you probably were too nervous to think properly in some situations - I saw some bad spots to DJC on(1:56 comes to mind). I also noticed that your opponent was nervous at some points too, running into charged smashes at times.

DJC is a good technique to use, yes, but not one you should use too often, or too close to the opponent.

Match 2: That utilt combo was great - made me jealous that I can't do that consistently at all. Though I noticed you missed two edgehog opportunities there, was kinda thinking you'd run over to the ledge and hog it right there and then...

After looking at the other matches, it looks like you seemed to catch on after that.

Match 3: Great start even though you got baired twice, though that edgeguard on 0:25 was kinda bad on your part(he was charging too). It looks like he started catching on to your charging smashes in the middle of the match as well.

By that point it looked like he forced you to play a defensive game up until that last stock.

I dunno if it would have worked or if you'll see that situation again, but if you hit them with an egg like how you did in 2:28, I think you'd be able to fair him out of the way. Just my thought.

Match 4: Ooh, more nair. I was wondering why I saw more fair approaches before, I thought nair worked a lot better against Ness in general.

Urk, I think you realized this when it happened, but in 2:48, nair would be better here. That DJC shortly afterward was really risky(and you paid for it), though I noticed many of those "face of danger" DJC nairs earlier on.

You also didn't follow up with any of those eggs nearing the end. Though he didn't hit you at all(for that last stock anyway), you had him right there with that first egg.

Also, no down+b on the ledge? I saw a few points where you could have utilized it, and Yoshi getting back on the stage after using second jump is REALLY risky and generally easy to punish.

Match 5: And now the finale!

I can see both of you are pretty nervous at this point, dancing around waiting for an opening. Nice work of those second jumps to absorb most of the bair knockback, though!

also what happened at 1:58? I was like o.O there

Maybe a little too many eggs this match, I think.

Some consistent problems to look at, though:
-Charging your smashes while your opponent's still on the ground or able to retaliate
-As I see it, you should be focusing primarily on getting back on the stage when at high percent with Yoshi
-DJC. I think you're doing it a bit too much there, but that could be me.

I can see that you saw your other problems either right away or after the match you made them, though.

Either way, a great set and I liked watching it to see who would win and other Yoshi playstyles in action.

Bloshi

Smash Ace
Thanks for your feedback. After watching these I can't help but notice that I did DJC a bit too much.

And at 1:58, I have no idea why the Ness did that. Maybe he thought he was screwed anyway lol.

Seanson

Smash Ace
Thanks for your feedback. After watching these I can't help but notice that I did DJC a bit too much.
I thought you didn't DJC enough. And when you did it wasn't fast enough. You need to use ECE when you recover more, instead of when you just start on the edge. I think you toss too many close eggs when you're on the ground.

I liked the few times you used egg lay, I think if you timed your djc to match ness's you could have spaced yourself and gotten a lot more in. I didn't see enough gimps, cause ness is quite easily gimped, I would have tried d-airs when he's off the stage.

Eltrotraw

Smash Journeyman
Haha, conflicting Yoshi styles! First I've seen it~

However, my point stands though that Bloshi seemed to DJC at times where Ness could(and did at some points) easily punish it. I think it's a manner of preference and the situation.

Bloshi

Smash Ace
Low tier, unfortunately. But whatever, first time I've won something smash-related. Maybe I'll go to Pound 3 and really see how good I am at low tier.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
However, my point stands though that Bloshi seemed to DJC at times where Ness could(and did at some points) easily punish it. I think it's a manner of preference and the situation.
I'm gunna say this from experience and in bloshi's defense.

Sure some of the DjCs could be easily punished, but honestly; how many people know how to fight a yoshi?

Cause throughout both sets, i sure as hell didnt figure out what to do. O_o

rmusgrave

BRoomer
BRoomer
Match one:

I liked the ownage! Nice combo/string of hits you pulled off in this match. One thing I did notice, was that you landed your high range/priority moves on the ownage stock, but then tried shorter ranged moves against a more careful Ness next stock and had much more trouble, falling for f-airs and b-airs. There was another point where you were f-smashed without your double jump, and failed to DI the attack properly. Usually when I don't have my double jump I am extra careful to watch for my mistakes so I can DI better.

Match two:

I noticed better DI in this one after you had lost your double jump, so props there. A couple of times I saw you dash dancing more as just something to do than to actually achieve something. I personally find it a myth that dash dancing can be used for mindgames, so I never use it for that. Otherwise, I think this matchup would have gone much more your way if you had edgehogged more. Ness' recovery has horrendous lag, so if you edgehog and he is forced to go above the edge you should be able to punish him. Again, nice combos and omg @ almost taking the win in that one.

Match three:

Good control of the level there, a lot of players can't handle FoD. You fell for a few extra ranged f-smashes from Ness in that one, and I think you could have DI'd a little better on the big hits, but otherwise a good performance.

Match four:

I think you could have done better if you had controlled the fin better. Whenever I'm going to fight under the fin, I always look for an opportunity to get on that fin and edge egg, and use the invincibility to fake out the opponent and generally control the fight under there. It takes a while to work out the mindgames related to that though, but I highly recommend working on it if it suits your playstyle. That's the only real criticism I have of this match, you played well but really didn't manage to control the under the fin game like Yoshi is capable of.

Match five:

Nicely done. I noticed at the start you were randomly throwing out attacks, because the Ness was holding the pressure up well and reading you well. You did manage to shift it the other way, and Ness started to randomly throw out attacks and hope you would get hit by them. My only real advice is to try to keep a cool head at all times, and learn how to get yourself back to being calm quickly. Best way to do this? Play tournament matches/money matches/crew matches and learn to handle the stress.

Overall a great Yoshi, and I'm looking forward to seeing more videos in the future!

Winnar

Smash Lord
The biggest thing I saw that I was saying in my mind, "Come on Bloshi! It's so obvious!" was when you missed a tech. Instead of rolling in either direction or just stood up, you almost always got up with an attack. Yoshi's...wft I dunno the name for it, stand up attack(?) isn't particularly good (laggy + low range), and at times you used it when Ness wasn't even near you.

Also, you kept missing excellent opportunities to gimp Ness! D: I was screaming in my mind trying to tell you to get that kill. All it took were a couple of CC's as he tried to use his f-air to recover. Well, I might have to eat those words, as I don't really play against any Ness's, so maybe you were trying to do that. Sorry for this stupid, lengthy paragraph if you were <.<

You said you felt awkward the first few matches, but I'm pretty sure Ness felt awkward as well. We who love the DJC are few and far between, so use our ambiguity to your advantage.

Like I said, though, your biggest problem to me were being predictable at times. As far as I can tell, the Yoshi player's job is to cast the illusion of being unpredictable, to pull things out of nowhere that no one expected. You did do that (more than me) most of the time, but you've become so good that what's one or two more things?

Don't get me wrong; it was a lot of fun to watch, and I think I learned some new tricks :D I just hope you find the advice of a nublet useful at all <.<

Top Bottom