• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Blacklisted 3 Interview: EE

Author's Note: This article was by Trent with SmashBoards publishing it.

Welcome to our Project M interview series. In the leadup to Blacklisted 3, we sat down with several members of the Smash community to discuss the past, present, and future of Smash’s most prominent spinoff. This time we’re talking with high profile Smash Commentator, Phillip “EE” Visu.

When streamers like VGBootCamp began cutting ties with Project M, it felt like a death sentence to many in the community. It felt to some like their place in the Smash community was no longer relevant, like they’d been blacklisted. Smashers in CT put together the Blacklisted event to both celebrate their game, and remind the community what makes PM so uniquely special.

Smashboards: When did you first get connected with Project M?

EE: My first real encounter with Project M came at an Ohio event known as Shuffle V back in 2015, I originally went there to [cast] Brawl but there was no set schedule, so several casters kept hogging the mic. One of the TOs approached me about filling in for some missing PM casters, and I had some Melee experience, so I decided to give it a shot. As I learned more and more while casting it I really grew to love the game at that event. The awesome Grand Finals between Hbox and M2K didn’t hurt either.

SB: As PM was growing, what were your hopes for its future?

EE: I wanted to cast it for Top 8 at the next Apex. I wasn’t casting PM when they had the huge tournament for it prior so I knew if I kept building momentum with TKbreezy (he’s who encouraged me to keep casting after he heard me at Shuffle) we’d have a good shot at getting booked for top 8. But, as we all know, the announcement that Nintendo would be involved with that upcoming Apex made them cut PM...from the event.

SB: What did it mean to you when VGBC announced they were cutting ties with PM?

EE: It was upsetting because it was kind of sudden, I found out the same time as everyone else, I knew I’d still be casting because I was very interested in Smash 4 which was set to make its debut but I didn’t want to see any of the PM community screwed or just lose interest in Smash in general. Overall it wasn’t [met] with a positive reception but I understood, it’s just growing your brand with an official Smash game over a mod is much easier in the long run. I respected their choice and kept a good working relationship with them in the end

SB: With 64 on the rise and Smash 4 in full swing, what do you think about PMs place in the Smash community?

EE: Well PM was and still is relevant, it’s just the larger events stopped prioritizing (which maybe gave room to the return of 64 in full force) it because I believe after Apex, they realized working with Nintendo could be way more likely than ever. Plus, Smash 4 was really popular out the gate with a whole new crop of players popping up. I personally didn’t find the changing builds of PM to be that good so I stopped playing and paying attention to it to be honest.

SB: What does it mean to you that events like Blacklisted are still happening?

EE: I still have a lot of friends who play PM so I’m glad they still are having events, there is literally no reason not to still hosting if the community is still there, I’m always in support of keeping a positive mentality in your community efforts.

SB: Is there anything else you’d like to share with the PM community?

EE: Make Mewtwo great again.

Thanks again to EE for his time. Be sure to check him out on Twitter, and sign up for Blacklisted 3 on Smash.gg!

Be sure to follow Trent for his wonderful Guest Article!

Lucas "Thirdkoopa" Guimaraes

Comments

And the sad thing is Nintendo still couldn't give two ****s less about our community and it's becoming more and more apparent. "NIntendo VS" and nothing for our community. Aside from Smash 4 -- regardless of whether you like the game or not -- We are invisible.

And the sad thing is Nintendo still couldn't give two ****s less about our community and it's becoming more and more apparent. "NIntendo VS" and nothing for our community. Aside from Smash 4 -- regardless of whether you like the game or not -- We are invisible.
I'm sure there's a more logical explanation for the game's absence that that.

We as a community can keep telling ourselves that, but how long do we wait for the watering hole?

Top Bottom