• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Black Shadow for SSBB

Shuma

Smash Hero
Oh... you brought all those horrible memories to my head... i didn't remember that horrible voice over.... ugh... Now i agree with Clark, No BS in SSBB.

Thank's for showing me the light Grim.

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
Sorry to burst your collective bubbles but.... no, actually I'm not. Here is the cold, hard reality of Sakurai's character list and why is it in no way should be taken as proof that BS is popular in Japan:

Did you know that the character mentions in the mailbag mean absolutely nothing? I got Kimhari Ronso, a GameFaqs member who's fluent in Japanese to look into it... and they mean absolutely nothing. Zip.

Want to know why? When you sent in your mailbag letter using the form that they had on the site, one of the little boxes in the form asks what your favorite characters are. It is entirely seperate from the actual letter that you send in, and Sakurai never, not once during the entire mailbag, makes any comment about the characters in this part of the letter. He only responded to the letter at hand. About 90% of all of the possible newcomer mentions in the mailbag were from this part. They mean absolutely nothing.

Just thought I'd bring that up.
So there you have it. When Green Mamba posted this on my thread, I pointed out that the list was still helpful in that it is a representative sample of the total number of people who posted replies (around a hundred or so) so the fact that characters like King Dx3, Diddy Kong, Ridley and Ike were nominated multiple times implies that they are popular suggestions. But a sinle nomination is just that: a single nomination from a single person.

Link's Uncle for Brawl!

the grim lizard

Smash Master
Dang it, now we don't get to play as Dedede or Ridley or Diddy Kong...

oh wait...I guess they do mean something, don't they?

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
Dang it, now we don't get to play as Dedede or Ridley or Diddy Kong...

oh wait...I guess they do mean something, don't they?
...so the fact that characters like King Dx3, Diddy Kong, Ridley and Ike were nominated multiple times implies that they are popular suggestions. But a single nomination is just that: a single nomination from a single person.

Ridley22

Smash Ace
No Clark Jables that's not sarcasem, because if you think about it just about every one of Ganondorf's attacks would work with black shadow. And just because I think this doesn't mean I wouldn't want him to have a new moveset.

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
Well, I don't know... I was hoping for Samurai Goroh, but since he's now an Assist Trophy...

Yeah, Black Shaodw could do...

Numa Dude

Smash Lord
If it came down to Black Shadow or no one I would choose Black shadow but that doesn't change the fact that Black Shadow is an unoriginal generic character who has an over glorified role and one vote on the pole.

Hong

The Strongest
If it came down to Black Shadow or no one I would choose Black shadow but that doesn't change the fact that Black Shadow is an unoriginal generic character who has an over glorified role and one vote on the pole.
If you have that problem with any F-Zero character, then the series isn't for you. God, look at Captain Falcon. Mysterious bounty hunter who's harsh past is unknown. OH GEE! Haven't seen that before! Your prized Pico is just another exmilitary assassin. (though he gets + points for being of another race.) Black Shadow is a very generic villian, but he can be a very original character. (Like Pico.) My point is, don't expect originality in F-Zero characters. The only originality of the series is the theme itself and its innovative tracks.

Numa Dude

Smash Lord
If you have that problem with any F-Zero character, then the series isn't for you. God, look at Captain Falcon. Mysterious bounty hunter who's harsh past is unknown. OH GEE! Haven't seen that before! Your prized Pico is just another exmilitary assassin. (though he gets + points for being of another race.) Black Shadow is a very generic villian, but he can be a very original character. (Like Pico.) My point is, don't expect originality in F-Zero characters. The only originality of the series is the theme itself and its innovative tracks.
Black Shadow being Generic isn't the main point of my post it was just a side thing. Also the characters are not what draws you into a game like F-Zero and makes you play it, the gameplay is.

Hong

The Strongest
Black Shadow being Generic isn't the main point of my post it was just a side thing. Also the characters are not what draws you into a game like F-Zero and makes you play it, the gameplay is.
Which is why such would never carry into Smash Bros. I guess Pico's support comes from being one of the original four, but Black Shadow is antagonist of the series (outside of comics, didn't become a staple until F-Zero GX) since his debut so he isn't exactly over glorified. Samurai Goroh being AT'd leaves Black Shadow as the ultimate opposition to Captain Falcon and the rest of the Smash Bros. cast, kind of defaulting.

Numa Dude

Smash Lord
Which is why such would never carry into Smash Bros. I guess Pico's support comes from being one of the original four, but Black Shadow is antagonist of the series (outside of comics, didn't become a staple until F-Zero GX) since his debut so he isn't exactly over glorified. Samurai Goroh being AT'd leaves Black Shadow as the ultimate opposition to Captain Falcon and the rest of the Smash Bros. cast, kind of defaulting.
Here we go with the main villain argument again:ohwell:. Black Shadow isn't the main villain and never will be. Deathborne had been controlling him from behind the scenes in every game up until GX in which Black Shadow was murdered by Deathborne for his constant failure. While I'm at it the gameboy games aren't canon so even if Black Shadow where the villain of those it wouldn't matter.

Hong

The Strongest
Here we go with the main villain argument again:ohwell:. Black Shadow isn't the main villain and never will be. Deathborne had been controlling him from behind the scenes in every game up until GX
It's the active villian as opposed to the passive or controlling villian. Would Dark Matter/Nightmare make an appearance over King Dedede because it has been responsible in more cases than he has? I doubt it. Something like this wouldn't apply to some series (Like Zant being controlled by Ganon in TP, only being in one game), but when it's a more durative presence that's what matters. Being ordered to do things doesn't alleviate any of the actual effect. It's Black Shadow doing it, and he'd be commiting evil with or without Deathborne. (As Captain Falcon has been chasing him for quite some time.)
in which Black Shadow was murdered by Deathborne for his constant failure. While I'm at it the gameboy games aren't canon so even if Black Shadow where the villain of those it wouldn't matter.
Meh. We've seen many characters completely slaughtered or killed just to come back a later day. :p
(*cough*Black Knight)

Numa Dude

Smash Lord
It's the active villian as opposed to the passive or controlling villian. Would Dark Matter/Nightmare make an appearance over King Dedede because it has been responsible in more cases than he has? I doubt it. Something like this wouldn't apply to some series (Like Zant being controlled by Ganon in TP, only being in one game), but when it's a more durative presence that's what matters. Being ordered to do things doesn't alleviate any of the actual effect. It's Black Shadow doing it, and he'd be commiting evil with or without Deathborne. (As Captain Falcon has been chasing him for quite some time.)
**** you make a good point. But still Black Shadow has basically been thrown away in the canocity in favor of Deathborne.

Meh. We've seen many characters completely slaughtered or killed just to come back a later day. :p
(*cough*Black Knight)
Black Knight isn't a good example because it was never actually stated in PoR if he actually died after his battle with Ike or not. The window was left open for him to appear again unlike Black Shadow who correct me if I'm wrong was TELEPORTED TO DEEP SPACE!

Hong

The Strongest
**** you make a good point. But still Black Shadow has basically been thrown away in the canocity in favor of Deathborne.
Meh. In my opinion, Black Shadow has more to draw from then Deathborne. But if Deathborne makes it in, fine with me. Deathborne is a pretty powerful man himself, just not as much to draw from.
Black Knight isn't a good example because it was never actually stated in PoR if he actually died after his battle with Ike or not. The window was left open for him to appear again unlike Black Shadow who correct me if I'm wrong was TELEPORTED TO DEEP SPACE!
I think having a castle that large collapsing onto you is pretty bad after being killed/at an inch of your life. Of course they were creative when they gave reasoning to his reoccurence, some new threat could have always saved Black Shadow and brainwashed/improved him. It works either way. That and I don't think time of existance would really apply to Smash Bros should he make it in.

Numa Dude

Smash Lord
Meh. In my opinion, Black Shadow has more to draw from then Deathborne. But if Deathborne makes it in, fine with me. Deathborne is a pretty powerful man himself, just not as much to draw from.
I could easily see both of them having a pretty decent moveset. Black Shadow could have a moveset based on his bull theme and Deathborne could have a moveset based on the fact he is a zombie cyborg.

I think having a castle that large collapsing onto you is pretty bad after being killed/at an inch of your life. Of course they were creative when they gave reasoning to his reoccurence,
Actually the castle falling on him would have had no effect thanks to the armor so even if he was beaten to a bloody pulp by Ike he still could have survived.

some new threat could have always saved Black Shadow and brainwashed/improved him. It works either way. That and I don't think time of existance would really apply to Smash Bros should he make it in.
Until the next Canon F-Zero game comes we won't know but I doubt that a human being teleported to space withought any sort of life support system would have lasted long enough to be saved by something but hey I'm not making the games.

Glinth

Smash Journeyman
Meh, IMO, black shadow looks cooler then deathborn :/
Like, a evil mexican wrestler :D

He could have a completely diff moveset from c. falcon though... .-. just cause he looks similar... feh

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
Considering this thread hasn't spiraled into an endless argument spamfest started by nOOBS who can't see past their own opinions *coughstrykscough* I'd say this thread is nothing like the HMS one.
N00bs who can't see past their opinions...

That sounds more like you!

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Black Shadow would be a logical addition although personally I would prefer Deathborne. The F Zero series is under repped ( the inclusion of Goroh as an AT may be an indication that this is trying to be addressed) so at least one of them would be welcome.

Wouldn't be surprised if they don't end up as PC's and I can somehow see them being involved in the Subspace Emissary which would be better then nothing.

Hong

The Strongest
Meh. Bio Rex, The Skull, Blood Falcon and Deathborne were revived/created. There are many, many ways for Black Shadow to return either through being saved, ressurected or reconstructed. But SSB isn't at all canon.

Hong

The Strongest
**** it, you guys are actually making me think Black Shadow should be in brawl.
I just want another F-Zero playable. Anyone would do. I'd even settle for Mr. EAD and I can't stand him. D:

Shuma

Smash Hero
Oh no, those two no.

Actually... Mr. Ead would be quite interesing and fun in the game. But i do think only BS would make it.

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
I just want another F-Zero playable. Anyone would do. I'd even settle for Mr. EAD and I can't stand him. D:
Agreed. Although I am not that desperate. Black Shadow would be a great choice though, I completely support.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Black shadow is kinda cheezy but whos more deserving to be a fighter than him from fzero?

Mr. Sunny Patch

Smash Journeyman
Black Shadow, hmm. Fighting style consisting of lots of heavy hand to hand combat, probably middle to heavy weight, and a horn charging side B move. Sweet.

Top Bottom