• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bits of strategy and tips for luigi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Killer-Katnip

Smash Cadet
First off, I don't want this to be a FAQ from one person yapping on about how he does things. I want this post to be a place ware luigi people can read good strategy tips so they can work into there own strategy without demolishing half of their current system.

Try and give tips about a certain move and try to keep arguments to a minimum. Thanks!

Seven11

Smash Cadet
Sex Kick after every aerial. You have time for multiple aerials even in short hops and it is a constant hitbox that autocancels. I like to lead in with SH Dair into sex kick cross over. Also, the Luigi Tornado is not to be overlooked. If you run it through a shielded opponent, it is virtually safe, and if they take it, you can hit check it and keep it on them. Great for approach, especially against hard to approach characters like Zamus or Lucario. Oh yeah, and Up+B when you can :-)

jmanup85

Smash Journeyman
NNID
jmanup85
3DS FC
1633-4569-8126
fireball to luigi tornado is always a good approach if they get hit by the fireball and should be used sparingly since it becomes predictable and also it may become very predictable but go for the jab to up-b combo or the "underhanded luigi chop of supreme doom" since those are his earliest kill moves besides his nair.

edit: Seven11 i never thought of the sex kick thing but it sounds very helpful thanks

The_Mr._L

Smash Rookie
using his tornado as a recovery move is also probably the best recovery move in the game... The hight you get off that move is enormous. Also when your falling you can use it to slow your fall slightly which can throw off an opponent who is charging a really powerful up smash on the ground, like Ike's for instance

Killer-Katnip

Smash Cadet
Yes, but remember that this can only be used once untill you touch the ground again(for it to recover).

King_Peachee

Smash Journeyman
NNID
King_Peachee
3DS FC
3754-9306-5412
I find it extremely useful to stay with your back turned to the opponent. In other words, I use my bair a lot. A LOT! His Fair is less useful in this game, but his Bair is amazing. It's a great move that has a lot of range people don't seem to realize. You can sometimes catch people off guard and hit them with Bair 3 times consectutively. It's also very useful when you are edgeguarding. Grab the edge and then drop off and hit them with a Bair, they usually won't see it coming because they'll be trying to recover.

I also think his nair is a great approach. Short hop to nair with a fast fall and you are a moving hit box all the way to the ground. if they shiel that, quickly use your a a a combo, or even better, jab jab rocket punch.

shOOs

Smash Rookie
I like to throw in a green missile just to catch em off guard. If you are lucky you may even get a miss fire :)

It has good KO power at higher % and is funny to watch.

I have also seen some vids of people spiking with his down taunt while they cling on a ledge. I haven't had a chance to do it myself, when ever I try I always get SMASHED! It kind of sucks.

Okesoke

Smash Apprentice
Luigi is largely based on spacing your arials, ^throw into a consecutive uair is always fun. Use Fireballs to interrupt movement or some recovery's (Fox, Falco, Ike, Pit after he uses his ^b, and ROB). I approach usually with a Dair > nair, into a utilt juggle @ low percents, works on nearly every char and racks up 40%+ dmg easy. Also dthrow into a utilt juggle or usmash is another great dmg builder. After a SH double arial try to follow up with a a,a,a combo since it will often be faster then there grab and give you space. Luigi's bair is something to be feared since he can set up a mini wall of pain and edge gimp a lot a chars with a crap recovery. Use the tornado sparingly since it is easily interrupted. Luigi can kill @ very low percents like mentioned with the a,a ^b or even spot dodge ^b or shield ^b, both i like more since a,a ^b seems 2 get shielded by better players, if ^b isn't your style, spot dodge fsmash (THROAT!) or dsmash, bot are fast and can easily be done out of a shield. Hope I helped ^^b Go Go Wiegi!

Banditsofthesea

Smash Apprentice
People seem to forget about his Dsmash! Use it to mix it up a little. Also, if you just walk, not dash/run, and hit the C-Stick down, you can do a sliding Dsmash!

Killer-Katnip

Smash Cadet
True, you can Dsmash while still sliding, but i don't think many people will let you walk up to them:ohwell:. Another oddity is luigi's Fsmash when tilted up slightly will have a much faster rate of fire than normal.

On a personal note, anyone got a few tips on how to face long-range projectile abusers?

Okesoke

Smash Apprentice
Luigi actually has really good game against projectiles. Get in there face and don't let them camp, you need to keep the pressure on, and take control in this manner. Also while approaching use your many quick aerials to cancel out the projectiles. Most of the time a simple dair will destroy the projectile. So basically be the aggressor in the match and don't give them room to breath. Also other then TL projectile reliant chars tend to be mid~heavy so when you approach lead with a nair into a up tilt @ low %'s and rack your major dmg that way, and save a well timed THROAT! (fsmash) to easily kill @ 90% ^^

shOOs

Smash Rookie
If you tilt his Fsmash does it have different knockback or does it just launch them at a different angle? I love how fast the move is. His chop is almost as fast as Chuck Norris'.

Killer-Katnip

Smash Cadet
I think it has a slight difference in launch angle, and the long-range abuser is an Ice climber with a weirly amazing defense, whenever I go in on air atttacks he negates and hurts me on Dairs and just dodges Bairs. Also he spaces the two ice blocks so they come in a fast and steady stream, so destroying one means you get hit by three more :/.

On a seperate topic, do wiimotes and nunchucks really hurt gameplay?

Any other tips for everyone on smashboards would be great!

shOOs

Smash Rookie
I don’t think that the Wiimote and nunchuck combo really hurts gameplay. It all depends on your own preference. I do think that the whole shake wiimote to smash attack thing is gimmicky and I don’t think that it would hold up in the middle of a heated fight. I use the gamecube controller because I am familiar with it.

On the topic of fighting ranged opponents, I hate toon Link with a passion. Every time I try to approach he spams his arrows with SHDA (I think that is what it's called) and his boomerang.

Any tips for fighting the little troll?

Killer-Katnip

Smash Cadet
Fireballs stop the arrows, and well, dodge Usmash to Uair (befour he does his Dair).

Ice spamming is much worse when a person know how to use the I.C.'s.

SparkEd

Smash Journeyman
I think the Boomerang can be canceled by Tornadoing yourself into it...

Toon Link IMO just seems hard to fight against; he won't be such a pain if you keep on pressuring with the aerials. TL's DAir IS annoying; even if it doesn't hit you, it'll push you away ON THE GROUND. Shorthop (And Air Dodge if nessessary?) and use a quick aerial, and if you can pull it off, maybe an NAir to Fire Punch Combo.

My one and a half cents.

Seven11

Smash Cadet
People seem to forget about his Dsmash! Use it to mix it up a little. Also, if you just walk, not dash/run, and hit the C-Stick down, you can do a sliding Dsmash!
At low percents, this slide will cause his dsmash to hit twice for (I believe) around 32% or so. Should definitely not be overlooked.

napZzz

Smash Hero
anyone know how to get his spike? I cant figure it out :/. Up tilts are good combo starters too.

Okesoke

Smash Apprentice
its slightly behind his back foot, really weird and kinda hard to pull off, all in all you have a better chance ledge gimping them then landing the spike.

TheMann

Smash Ace
I got a tip. Use Luigi's up tilted forward smash alot more often ppl. It kills at very low percentages. AND it is lightning fast, like game and watch downsmash fast.

You can use it multiple times. Or link it into ANY of luigi's other smashes. Its very useful and the possibilty of mindgames with it are endless.

I found out about it on this link http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=162884

So go out there and implement it into ur games fellow luigi mains. I wanna see some luigis winning big tournaments :)

Killer-Katnip

Smash Cadet
Low %'s? really? I got to see this for myself. (i feel like a noob for asking this ::cry: ) What's a spike?

Okesoke

Smash Apprentice
Its a move that forces a char downwards and if not canceled over the edge its pretty much a insta kill. You can cancel them buy either jumping right after or hitting ^b.

shOOs

Smash Rookie
I find it easier to just jump after and hit em with multiple Fair Nair combos while they are hoplessly trying to get back onto the stage. His Dair is so hard to pull off and many will see it coming. Might as well just beat the crap out of em and if they do get back on the stage fire punch em :)

Okesoke

Smash Apprentice
well if properly spaced his Bair is better because of its range and knock back. Fair was super nerfed this time around and nair is meant to lead into combos not really prevent them from getting back on stage. A string of 4 Bairs which is easily possible with wiegi's air game is near death for most chars.(Pit,ROB,MK,Kirb,Jiggles, and maybe snake) Are a little harder to gimp lol

shOOs

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the Bair info. I tend to forget about it while jumping after someone off the ledge. I use it to get em off but get overly zealous when I see the opportunity to gimp.

Killer-Katnip

Smash Cadet
I don't know about death from Bair whenever i try it, EVERYONE :crazy: already knows what to do(normaly a move that negates)! Also Fair may be nerfed, but it is rapid fire and disrupts and slow attackers.

Hey Okesoke, wanna fight?

Okesoke

Smash Apprentice
I don't know about death from Bair whenever i try it, EVERYONE :crazy: already knows what to do(normaly a move that negates)! Also Fair may be nerfed, but it is rapid fire and disrupts and slow attackers.

Hey Okesoke, wanna fight?
sure I'll fight but are you on the east coast o.o always makes things a little better with lag. ^^ tell me when you add me so i can do the same.

Killer-Katnip

Smash Cadet
I'll add you right away.

Anyway, let's get back to tips, bits of strategy, and new ways to fight for the man in green!

Can anyone tell me about Uair, alot has changed since the 64 smash (I never could get melee).

Okesoke

Smash Apprentice
I find the uair very situational, I use it a lot more against floaty chars such as peach. @ low %'s you can uthrow or d throw into a string of uair's, but yet again its situational since it depends on the weight of the char. D:

SparkEd

Smash Journeyman
UAir=High Priority Low Damage Combo Stringer Attack.
(Don't try acronyming that X_x; )

It seems to have some use edgeguarding with stages that have a lip (Battlefield, FD) because if you hit with the front hitboxes it can knock them under the lip and bounce them off. But it's VERY situational.

You're better off with NAir or BAir or whatever. :p

LGBM

Smash Rookie
Ok tornado when falling to the stage is great move to put on people.

Okesoke

Smash Apprentice
Ok tornado when falling to the stage is great move to put on people.
how does it work O.o it seems to have minimal knock back, and only put you into a position where you are fighting for the edge D: I prefer bair or dair over the age, fair into stage spike is fun but hard to pull off ^^b

LGBM

Smash Rookie
ok say your playing wario and hes batting you in the air over and over. Then you do it and it keeps him away from you so you can land. See what im saying?

Killer-Katnip

Smash Cadet
So this is a tip for strict;y land based luigi's? I personaly like to steer it when i'm under the ledge to hit my attackers to set them off balence.

Next tip!

Hmmmm.... i should probalbly edit my first post to show evryones tips up front.

DKONG

Smash Rookie
I find Luigi incredible against dodging projectiles. Doesn't work too, too often, although once in a while an up throw, into an up B is a great KO.

Killer-Katnip

Smash Cadet
Ok...... why is he good at dodgeing projectiles? What do you do to dodge the projectiles. (that are many ways)

People if you are going to say something include details, Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom