• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bird and Bear: the Banjo-Kazooie Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
"We have no plans to release anything for Microsoft's Xbox One, Sony's Playstation 4, or Apple products" -Iwata

That's a problem, as they have no interest in Microsoft as a whole.
No interest in releasing games on a competitor's platform doesn't mean they don't have any interest in what is owned by the competitor.

That said, I don't think they actually do have interest in acquiring anything from M$ or Sony.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I have been lying. Robin was my third most wanted. Paper Mario is second.

Banjo & Kazooie would give me the most possible hype

Sailor Waddle Dee

Smash Journeyman
No Character is higher on my want list than the duo of Banjo and Kazooie,
If I got to chose between getting all my other wanted newcomers (Bandana Dee, Chibi-Robo, Dixie, Wonder Red, Takamaru) or getting B&K in I would gladly choose Banjo and Kazooie without a second thought.
Really, they should have been in smash ages ago, and the fact that they aren't is a travesty. It makes me so sad knowing that their chances are so low because of Microsoft. it makes me even sadder knowing that the chance for a Banjo Threeie to be made is even less likely.
I wish Nintendo would buy the Banjo IP from Rare/Microsoft and give us Banjo Threeie and Banjo in Smash.
I don't think any other character is more deserving or would generate more hype than these two. for the good of the universe it needs to happen.
*Goes back to playing Bajo Tooie on my N64 because I refuse to buy it on XBLA*

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
No Character is higher on my want list than the duo of Banjo and Kazooie,
If I got to chose between getting all my other wanted newcomers (Bandana Dee, Chibi-Robo, Dixie, Wonder Red, Takamaru) or getting B&K in I would gladly choose Banjo and Kazooie without a second thought.
Really, they should have been in smash ages ago, and the fact that they aren't is a travesty. It makes me so sad knowing that their chances are so low because of Microsoft. it makes me even sadder knowing that the chance for a Banjo Threeie to be made is even less likely.
I wish Nintendo would buy the Banjo IP from Rare/Microsoft and give us Banjo Threeie and Banjo in Smash.
I don't think any other character is more deserving or would generate more hype than these two. for the good of the universe it needs to happen.
*Goes back to playing Bajo Tooie on my N64 because I refuse to buy it on XBLA*
I recently wrote a letter to Reggie telling him to buy BK from Rare, lol

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
You know I would just like to point out something. I find it very interesting they showed Conker in Project Spark, but Banjo wasn't shown at all. It's like he's been buried by microsoft even deeper than Conker was. Heck they even poked fun at the fact Conker hasn't had a new game in ages. Microsoft makes me think that with that, it's possible Conker and Banjo may never have new games ever again

Had Nintendo not screwed up, and kept Rare around, Banjo would've been in Melee.

Last edited:

Sailor Waddle Dee

Smash Journeyman
You know I would just like to point out something. I find it very interesting they showed Conker in Project Spark, but Banjo wasn't shown at all. It's like he's been buried by microsoft even deeper than Conker was. Heck they even poked fun at the fact Conker hasn't had a new game in ages. Microsoft makes me think that with that, it's possible Conker and Banjo may never have new games ever again

Had Nintendo not screwed up, and kept Rare around, Banjo would've been in Melee.
In a way, that is probably better than letting Microsoft release another horrendous Banjo game like nuts and bolts.
In a perfect world Nintendo would have never lost Rare, Banjo would be in smash (plus maybe Conker, Joanna Dark and a few other Rare characters) and we'd all be eagerly anticipating the release of Banjo Sevenie right now :(

Sailor Waddle Dee

Smash Journeyman
As a distraction from my homework, I am now working on my idea for a Moveset for Banjo & Kazooie. if I get a full one I'll post it here

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Add me to the supporter list. I think Banjo & Kazooie would be really cool!

Kind Dedede

Smash Ace
NNID
ClaptonsWig
Banjo had horrible timing as far as entering Smash was concerned. His game launched roughly 7 months prior to the original and Activisin/Microsoft was already touring Rare while Melee was in production. It explains the lack Rare involvement besides Diddy but still, wish Nintendo would have put up more of a fight than they did

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Hey guys, according to this list, how would Banjo-Kazooie's moveset be classified? (hybrid classes are possible):

Zoner - Character whose strength lies in forcing their opponent to stay in a certain area. Ex: :4marth:

Ranger - Character whose strength lies in their ranged attacks to force opponents to keep their distance. Ex: :4link:

Speedster - Character whose strength lies in their speed and ability to overwhelm their opponents with relentless attacks. Ex: :4pikachu:

Trickster - Character whose strength lies in a quirky moveset that is hard to predict and can alter the battle field. Ex: :4villager:

Bruiser - Character whose strength lies in devastating attacks to quickly finish off opponents. Ex: :4falcon:

Resistor - Character whose strength lies in super armor that allows them to tank hits to strike down opponents. Ex: :4bowser:

Puppeteer - Character whose strength lies in overwhelming opponents with relentless attacks stopping opponents from striking back. Strength in numbers. Ex: :rosalina:

Juggler - Character whose strength lies in being able to string combos together to finish off opponents. Ex: :4luigi:

Sailor Waddle Dee

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, according to this list, how would Banjo-Kazooie's moveset be classified? (hybrid classes are possible):

Zoner - Character whose strength lies in forcing their opponent to stay in a certain area. Ex: :4marth:

Ranger - Character whose strength lies in their ranged attacks to force opponents to keep their distance. Ex: :4link:

Speedster - Character whose strength lies in their speed and ability to overwhelm their opponents with relentless attacks. Ex: :4pikachu:

Trickster - Character whose strength lies in a quirky moveset that is hard to predict and can alter the battle field. Ex: :4villager:

Bruiser - Character whose strength lies in devastating attacks to quickly finish off opponents. Ex: :4falcon:

Resistor - Character whose strength lies in super armor that allows them to tank hits to strike down opponents. Ex: :4bowser:

Puppeteer - Character whose strength lies in overwhelming opponents with relentless attacks stopping opponents from striking back. Strength in numbers. Ex: :rosalina:

Juggler - Character whose strength lies in being able to string combos together to finish off opponents. Ex: :4luigi:
Hmm, that's a tough one, possibly somewhere between a Bruiser and a Trickster or A Juggler.
Having Banjo for Powerful attacks and Kazooie for improved distance and air abilities they'd be somewhat of an all-rounder
He'd/They'd probably be a slow character (minus potential Talon Trot) with weird unpredictable moves of varying strength and speed. decent jumps thanks to Kazooie (Flap Flip and Feathery Flap), and would have decent close range and long range moves (again thanks to having moves for Banjo and Kazooie)

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Hmm, that's a tough one, possibly somewhere between a Bruiser and a Trickster or A Juggler.
Having Banjo for Powerful attacks and Kazooie for improved distance and air abilities they'd be somewhat of an all-rounder
He'd/They'd probably be a slow character (minus potential Talon Trot) with weird unpredictable moves of varying strength and speed. decent jumps thanks to Kazooie (Flap Flip and Feathery Flap), and would have decent close range and long range moves (again thanks to having moves for Banjo and Kazooie)
Sounds like a character that can tackle anything, but how would he fare against characters like :4tlink:?

SpaceJell0

Smash Ace
NNID
SpaceJell0
3DS FC
0104-0342-5999
Add me to the supporters, it's impossible but it would be sooooooo hype. *sheds manly tear* dam Microsoft. Imagine using a BK smiley or seeing that HD model fighting alongside Mario, Sonic, Mega Man, Pac-Man, etc. It hurts so bad :(

Sailor Waddle Dee

Smash Journeyman
I finished thinking up my Banjo & Kazooie moveset idea earlier today so I thought I'd share it here.

I decided to focus on the two of them as a team instead of going for a character swap/ split up gimmick but still took some of their moves they learn separately in Tooie and worked them in too.
anyway here's my moveset (I don't focus too hevily on percentages and stuff, just explaining the general ideas I have for moves)

Walk Speed: Average (Same as Mario)
Run Speed: Average (Same as Mario)
Jumps: 2 (Second Jump is Feathery Flap with adds extra height and slows Fall time, works similar to Pit's Wings)
Jump Height: Slightly poor
Fall Time: Normally slightly faster than average unless Feathery Flap is used which slows fall time considerably

N: Claw Swipe: A slow weak swipe of Banjo's paw
S-Tilt: Rat-A-Tat-Rap/ Peck: Kazooe pokes her head out and pecks in front of Banjo
U-Tilt: Beak Bayonet, Banjo quickly grabs Kazooie out of his backpack and uses her beak as a weapon swinging it upwards in front of him
D-Tilt: Banjo performs a lazy forward kick
Dash: Forward Roll, Banjo rolls forward a short distance with Kazooie's wings wrapped around him

N-Air: Rat-A-Tat-Rap, Kazooie pecks in front of Banjo 3 times quickly dealing ok damage
F-Air: Beak Bomb, Kazooie stetchest out pointing her beak forward then flaps her wings propelling Banjo through the air a short distance, dealing heavy damage (Red feathers drop from Kazooie when she does this)
B-Air: Pack Whack BT, The Banjo Tooie version of Pack Whack Banjo spins around holding his backpack out swinging it
U-Air: Wing Whack, Kazooie holds out her wings as Banjo spins around
D-Air: Beak Buster, Banjo flips backwards a little in the air so Kazooie is pointing her beak straight down, the two then quickly fall to the ground, dealing heavy Damage

S-Smash: Beak Barge, Banjo tackles forward ramming ahead using Kazooie's beak
U-Smash: Flap Flip, Banjo crouches down before leaping into the air assisted by Kazooie and doing a backflip dealing decent damage
D-Smash: Breegull Bash, Banjo grabs Kazooie by the neck and slams her down onto the ground in front of him

Grab: Banjo Grabs the opponent in a Bear hug
Pummel: Kazooie Pecks the opponent
F-Throw: Banjo holds the opponent above his head like when he holds an item in Banjo Kazooie, and throws them in front of him
B-Throw: Egg Bounce, Banjo Flings the opponent behind him as Kazooie lays a Ice Egg which bounces along the ground until the opponent lands on it causing damage and freezing them
U-Throw: Banjo throws the opponent above his head then Kazooie shoots a grenade egg at the opponent
D-Throw: Bill Drill, Banjo throws the opponent to the ground then leaps into the air and performs a Bill Drill attack on them dealing heavy damage

N-Special: Egg Firing, Banjo leans forward and Kazooie fires an egg from her mouth, 3 eggs can be on the screen at one time, flies a decent distance, but deals very low damage and has no knockback
S-Special: Talon Trot, Kazooie Runs forward carrying Banjo on her back ramming into any characters ahead of her, good knockback but doesn't deal much damage
U-Special: Leg Spring: A shock switch appear below Banjo and Kazooie leaps from it into the air damaging opponents above her (red feathers drop from her as she does this)
D-Special: Pack Whack GR, the Gruntie's revenge version of Pack Whack, Banjo slams his backpack into the ground Dealing heavy Damage

FS: The Mighty Jinjonator: Four Jinjo Statues appear on the stage and the statue of the mighty Jinjonator appears in the background, the four statues activate turning into Jinjos, these Jinjos then fly around similar to Pit's Final smash from Brawl while yelling out "JINJO!!", after a little while the Jinjo's fly into the statue of Jinjonator in the background activating him, he flies up into the air off-screen, then after he bellows out "JINNNNNNJOOOO...." he flies down through the battlefield similar to a Snorlax

Guard: Same pose as Wonderwing
Dodge: Roll

Taunt 1: Kazooie pecks Banjo's Head
Taunt 2: Banjo wrings Kazooies Neck
Taunt 3: Kazooie pulls a kazoo out of Banjo's backpack and plays a few notes

Entrance: Magically warp into the stage like in Bajo Kazooie
Victory: Bajo's little dance from when he gets a Jiggy
Loss: Banjo happily claps while Kazooie looks annoyed

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
:(.

Every time someone brings up Banjo-Kazooie, I die a little more inside.

Sailor Waddle Dee

Smash Journeyman
I know the feeling bro, but I can't let my dreams die, so I'll keep hoping, and dreaming and talking about him until my dreams come true, or more likely, until I finally give up (probably on my deathbed)

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
So I suppose the best thing we can hope for is for Nintendo to buy back rare before Smash 5.

Any hopeful news on that potentially happening?

Rare's work isn't very good on the xbox. And their titles have not been selling well. Maybe Microsoft is open to selling them?

Rare, as in the employees, do not matter in the purchase. Rare isn't the old Rare. What we do need though, is a purchase of the comapny's IPs, for Nintendo to then create games for.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
It honestly is not out of question that Banjo-Kazooie could be in the game;
it would just mean that both companies would have to recognize the benefit of having said character in the game.

Is it doubtful, yes- but if Microsoft wanted to boost sales of the character it now owns, it could allow it. Nintendo, I would hope, would not hesitate to add him if given the opportunity. If anything, just getting in a Rare character could be considered a victory for Microsoft. I know it is incredibly unlikely, but it is not from a business standpoint... particularly bad for either; I suppose it could confuse the market for BK fans being seen on Nintendo again, but I think if timed with a rerelease, it would actually work better for sales of it on Microsofts own system.

Questions for everyone:
  • What do you think it would take for both companies to allow it?
  • Would you welcome Banjo-Kazooie into smash if the stipulation were that Master Chief were to be a character as well?

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Literally the only way I'd see it happening is if it mutually benefited both companies. IE Microsoft wanting Nintendo to promote Banjo, and allowing Rare to publish a Banjo game on both the Xbox One and Wii U.

Sailor Waddle Dee

Smash Journeyman
So I suppose the best thing we can hope for is for Nintendo to buy back rare before Smash 5.

Any hopeful news on that potentially happening?
Sadly, I don't think there is much hopeful news in that regard. last I heard (around E3) Microsoft claimed they "still value rare" so even though they don't let Rare do much and none of their IPs have had new games in ages (Conker in Project Spark doesn't count) Microsoft doesn't seem too eager to pass Rare off to another company. They also recently did a deal on the XBLA to buy both N64 Banjo games, so there's that too.

Nintendo a few months ago claimed they were open to making acquisitions (due to their financial situation not being ideal) which does leave that slim sliver of hope that they may decide to buy if not Rare itself then at least the Banjo IP (this news also had people hoping Nintendo would buy Megaman (or Capcom) but that hasn't happened yet)

It honestly is not out of question that Banjo-Kazooie could be in the game;

Questions for everyone:
  • Would you welcome Banjo-Kazooie into smash if the stipulation were that Master Chief were to be a character as well?
No, it is not out of the question at all, and his inclusion could in fact be beneficial to both parties, but the chance of the two working together seems very unlikely, and should Microsoft and Nintendo form a deal to include a Microsoft character in Smash they probably wouldn't chose Banjo, Microsoft would be more likely to push for Master Chief or something.

* For both companies to allow it and decide that it was something they wanted to do, there would need to be a good reason to do it, something like Microsoft having Rare work on a new Banjo game but wanting a way to promote the game to improve it's sales. while Nintendo would need to be actively trying to re-obtain Banjo. then there would need to be a long talk about what is in it for both parties should Banjo be added. an agreement on how much money both parties get from the deal and stuff like that. in the end it would probably be more trouble to sort out than it would be worth.

* As.... unpleasant and awkward as Master Chief in smash would be, if It meant I'd get Banjo (in his N64 design) then I'd welcome the Spartan soldier with open arms (but if they try to put nuts and bolts Banjo into the game instead I wouldn't want either Microsoft character in)

JabbatheHutt

The Kingpin of the Outer Rim
I'd like to vow my support. If it wasn't for freaking MICROSOFT, wed have awesome remixes of Rusty Bucket Bay, Hailfire Peaks, and Gruntys Lair!

Kind Dedede

Smash Ace
NNID
ClaptonsWig
I think even Microsoft is aware of how gnarly Banjo and Kazooie turned out for Nuts and Bolts. Don't think they would be that egotistical to make them appear that way in smash if they were to happen.

As far as buying the IP for any Rare created characters, good luck. That's one bear that would probably be easier but buying Rare back as a whole rather than just individual entities. I know Geno has been getting rather rowdy with jokes about buying him back but that's an even shorter tunnel through the mountain.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
I just realized.
All the biggest 3rd Party characters are out of the way. Sonic, Pac-Man, and Mega Mana re all in.

This means that in Smash 5 speculation, Banjo-Kazooie may very well be the most requested 3rd Party character, MAYBE after Rayman and/or Simon Belmont. But even then, BK will probably be the most popular.

Reality_Ciak

Smash Ace
Is it terrible that if I were a Make-A-Wish child, my wish was that Rare be returned to Nintendo for the sake of Banjo Kazooie, Conker, Battetoads...

My only hope for Banjo Kazooie is that Duck Hunt Dog is playable in Smash Bros in an outright parodic fashion in vain of the beloved bear and bird.

D

Deleted member

This means that in Smash 5 speculation, Banjo-Kazooie may very well be the most requested 3rd Party character, MAYBE after Rayman and/or Simon Belmont. But even then, BK will probably be the most popular.
I can see Bomberman, Simon Belmont, and Rayman have an influx of requests for Smash 5. Banjo-Kazooie will still have a ton of requests (to the point of possibly being the most requested 3rd party indeed), but they're still a major pipe-dream. I doubt that Microsoft will release the rights to Banjo-Kazooie.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
I can see Bomberman, Simon Belmont, and Rayman have an influx of requests for Smash 5. Banjo-Kazooie will still have a ton of requests (to the point of possibly being the most requested 3rd party indeed), but they're still a major pipe-dream. I doubt that Microsoft will release the rights to Banjo-Kazooie.
Definitely a Konami rep, wether that be Bomberman or Belmont.

But in Smash 4 speculation, everyone was hyping over Mega Man and Pac-Man, that they were all too busy to make a voice for Banjo.

Maybe in Smash 5, the demand for BK will be so big, Sakurai, if he directs the next one, which he should, will have to add them in.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
I just realized.
All the biggest 3rd Party characters are out of the way. Sonic, Pac-Man, and Mega Mana re all in.

Slime will be way up there too, DQ support has been growing super fast over this game's development period, and with DQ making a huge resurgence I think he'll only be more popular next time... Plus he's already probably above Rayman and Belmont when you count Japan's chatter.

But Banjo does have a good shot at being first, and I'd be totally happy if my little slime friend was beaten by the Bear and the Bird...

Last edited:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Slime will be way up there too, DQ support has been growing super fast over this game's development period, and with DQ making a huge resurgence I think he'll only be more popular next time... Plus he's already probably above Rayman and Belmont when you count Japan's chatter.

But Banjo does have a good shot at being first, and I'd be totally happy if my little slime friend was beaten by the Bear and the Bird...
I forgot about Square.
Yeah, a SE rep would be up there too. But I'm not so sure about Slime.

I just see the demand going to someone else, wether that be a generic DQ Protagonist, or a Final Fantasy character like Black Mage.

Considering the possibilities of a SE newcomer, and Sakurai being one to surprise us, I would see Sakurai pulling something big that is completely new.

But this isn't the Smash 5 Speculation thread, so I'll go back to talking about BK.

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
Banjo and Kazooie plus Smash Bros. would be a match made in heaven. Too bad it won't happen with Microsoft owning Rare and the Banjo series. I remember getting Banjo-Kazooie for my 8th birthday back in '98 and getting Tooie for Christmas back in 2001. Those were the days alright. Those two games were a part of my childhood and I wouldn't trade it for anything. Hopefully someday, Nintendo will try to acquire the rights to Banjo. If only...

Oh and I would like to be added to the supporter list too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom