• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Better Know a Stage: Rainbow Road

Status
Not open for further replies.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I thought we might as well pool our noggins together to gain data on the stages. I'll compile any information here. Thought we'd start on Rainbow Road.

Super Mario Bros.

Synopsis: A moving horizontal stage. Has unique platforms (blocks) and walls (pipes). Same or similar to stage in Brawl.

Hazards: Stage blast zone scroll

Initial Thoughts: This stage might actually be okay this time around as a moving stage. It has some issues with its vertical jump requirements though. The player on the right has a significant advantage in that you constantly have to jump over things. It also allows for lower % KOs in that the blast zone is moving towards you. A strong opponent who can "wall" you can stall your approach so that you're closer to the blast zone, so you die sooner.

It takes about 16 seconds for the stage to catch up to the right side of the screen.

2 minute revolutions (8 minute timer, 4 separate revolutions) mean that you get a maximum of 4 instances where you have to deal with any problem areas.

You can get a funny graphical effect with ROB where he gets stuck between two blocks while using his up+b, it's funny lookin'.

It DOES have some similar walk off problems in that you can die at really low %, but this is going to be due to the opponent outplaying you.

Stage needs more testing.

Rainbow Road

Synopsis: Multi-platform moving stage, similar to Mute City from Melee

Hazards: Shy Guys (no real KO potential, 10% damage), ground floor (KO potential around 80%!, ? damage), floors that can trap you underneath them

Overview: This stage is awesome except for when it isn't. It doesn't seem immediately apparent to me how to dodge the cars in some of the areas, which isn't a good sign. It could be that each area has safe zones, but I'm not sure of it. The cars themselves aren't a big deal, but if the stage basically forces you to get hit by them it is. When playing earlier, my opponent seemed to be targeted by the cars. Unsure if this is accurate or not.

Biggest issue is that the ground, which can come suddenly and without warning, can kill you at 80%. Combined with the cars being seemingly random it seems to be that knowing the stage isn't enough to avoid the consequences of the hazards.

Also found is that there is a segment with a solid base that you cannot jump through. If you get hit underneath (or just jump underneath), you will hit your head and momentum will stop.

Likely banned. If you're okay with the stage punishing a player for a mistake with a stock, you can be fine with this stage. If you think the stage punishment typically shouldn't be a stock except in the most rare of cases, this stage is not for you.

Last edited:

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I'll tinker more with it tomorrow.

I do think stage in a lot of ways fixed my big issue with Port town back in brawl.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
After playing on it more, this stage is fantastic except for like two spots where cars can come from the side and everyone always gets pummeled by them. It's not a "I hit you into the cars" or "I conquered the safe zone" but just everyone taking 30-40%. :(

The floor I still dunno how I'm feeling about. It's kind of got a Jungle Japes effect. You died, but you really shouldn't have been there and it's your fault. Yoshi's Island in Melee had the same issue, it just immediately killed you instead of hitting you. Dying at such low % for a mistake isn't something most people would swallow easily though, even if it is the Smash 4 equivalent of air dodging off the stage.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Found an area where the stage actually becomes solid when it lands from below -- you can't go through it.

You can jump underneath the stage and be trapped. :(

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
This makes it sound like the stage won't be commonly accepted for high-level tournament play tbh. Two spots where stage knowledge and paying attention wrt stage control won't help me avoid stage hazards is a definite no-no for testing competitive skill. At least with Halberd in Brawl you knew what was targeting you and had plenty of time to set yourself up in a position where you could dodge it, although with no hitstun canceling in SSB4 that might be considered more of an issue too.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Found an area where the stage actually becomes solid when it lands from below -- you can't go through it.

You can jump underneath the stage and be trapped. :(
That happened to me sadly. I feel this could be an alright counter-pick but the randomized locations, the cars coming from either side, and the trap at the bottom can become a problem.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Added bit on Mushroom Kingdom. I currently have it banned at my Oct. 11th event but might change it; the stage itself has no major glaring issues except a decidedly insistent need to have a decent vertical jump. At the end there is a section that is literally a "I have the high ground, Anakin" moment that can cause issues.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
I dunno, while a lot of stages -could- be okay, the community at large has a huge aversion to scrolling stages (not to mention one with plenty of potential for wall combos) and walk-offs... I don't see many people supporting the inclusion of such a stage, and would hypothesize that it would be more trouble for the greater community to keep in than to leave out. How did your tournament go btw, any updates on stages?

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Tournament went well. Corneria had no issues, Tomadachi Life had no issues, Brinstar had no issues.

3D Land and Reset Bomb Forest both had issues

Starter list of 5 (prism, BF, FD, Ferox, Yoshis) worked well

I don't concern myself with "community at large". That changes based off of where you are and at what point in time you're playing. I care more about actual results. If a stage is legal, it adds to the metagame. If it's banned, it restricts it. A stagelist of 1 makes for an easily "solvable" metagame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom