• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Better and better players on For Glory

TheOnlyGBeast

Smash Cadet
NNID
G-Beast
3DS FC
4442-0111-1914
Lately I have been running in to progressively better players on For Glory, and thus my faith in it for practice has largely been restored. I now feel like I can viably practice my Greninja at home, and I thank you all whom I may have encountered on it and had good games with :)

G-Beast is my IGN on it.

LOGIA666

Smash Apprentice
Lately I have been running in to progressively better players on For Glory, and thus my faith in it for practice has largely been restored. I now feel like I can viably practice my Greninja at home, and I thank you all whom I may have encountered on it and had good games with :)

G-Beast is my IGN on it.
I can agree with this somewhat.

Basically, all the terrible players who can't compete leave For Glory until they improve, and all the better players stay.

Basically, everyone and their grandmother wanted to try out For Glory, not realizing what it was made for: skill.

So in the end, all of the not so good players are leaving, and the more skilled ones are staying because they've noticed the same trend.

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
I dipped in to do some For Glory commentary for the people, and realised there's some decent players to be seen there compared to when I played FG on the 3ds.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
There are a lot of good players on For Glory. I guess the mentality some people have that For Glory is filled with scrubs will slowly change.

Quillion

Smash Hero
When you say "good players", do you mean roll+projectile spammers that do nothing but drag out the match and waste your time?

Because those aren't good players, those are a rough equivalent of Goddamned Bats.

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
I've noticed that overtime, I've seen less roll/smash attack spammers and more players who use their character's full moveset as well as grab and shield. However, these players still tend to have very poor neutral games. For example, If I shield a lot, most FG players will attempt to dash grab me, and then I get a free punish. And most FG players don't understand the concept of conditioning so whenever I get hit, I can easily land on the ground and correctly time an air dodge or attack if necessary. I'm sure most of these players will improve with time though.

KoM

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ReiTsubomi
3DS FC
2638-0679-1408
When you say "good players", do you mean roll+projectile spammers that do nothing but drag out the match and waste your time?

Because those aren't good players, those are a rough equivalent of Goddamned Bats.
If you're letting them do that to you then clearly you aren't thinking on how to stop them. That's all they have. I for one don't take that crap and quickly stop their little gimmick.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
If you're letting them do that to you then clearly you aren't thinking on how to stop them. That's all they have. I for one don't take that crap and quickly stop their little gimmick.
Yeah they're pretty easy to open up once you figure out they always roll in patterns.

There's almost always an option you can do that ISN'T a roll that will benefit you more defensively to begin with.

KoM

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ReiTsubomi
3DS FC
2638-0679-1408
Yeah they're pretty easy to open up once you figure out they always roll in patterns.

There's almost always an option you can do that ISN'T a roll that will benefit you more defensively to begin with.
Exactly. 90% of the time I can just stand completely still and watch them become clueless when I hit him at the end of the roll.

I sometimes wonder what they're thinking... "WOW ****ING BUGGED ROLL MECHANICS"

OddCrow

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1676-3709-1310
Exactly. 90% of the time I can just stand completely still and watch them become clueless when I hit him at the end of the roll.

I sometimes wonder what they're thinking... "WOW ****ING BUGGED ROLL MECHANICS"
Playing against waves of for glory opponents is really helpful for learning to spot mistakes. Opponents tend to do the same things in "limited" situations, so I'll place an attack there. Like if you know they're gonna back roll exactly once, just dash through and dash attack, or grab or down smash. Some people ONLY try to recover high, and they get upaired to death

Dinotard

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Onehardtard
3DS FC
2766-8060-2134
I'm still pretty bad, but I use FG to learn.
Continuously getting my arse kicked though as opposed to last week where there were noobs left and right and getting an easy win just didnt feel so rewarding.

Kodachi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GhOsT-KoDa
makes me mad a little to lose now because I have only gotten comfortable with maybe 1/3 of the roster so far... Hate to pull out the big guns every time I go on for glory but I suppose it is better this way, king of the hill style may the best man never ragequit

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
Eh, it still takes very long to filter the scrubs and the people with bad internet/that live far away.
In my last 5h FG playtime I maybe had 3 people that could beat me and had good internet.
Being a German is suffering sometimes, most matches with americans have at least 1/3second lag.

DSP

Smash Apprentice
When I logged on first, I was stomping most people in FG.
**** is, I started a full time job recently and maybe get to play 3 hours a week. Everyone gets ****loads of practice, and I'm falling behind hard as ****. :(

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
Everyone who cares about being good will learn with experience. The existence of 1v1 naturally allows for this, because:
  1. It's only you vs your opponent. No distractions around to stop you from finding new things about the game (even simple things, like I just learned yesterday you can't reflect Wario's Bike, and I now know because I tried it).
  2. Players who absolutely destroy you: this has happened to me, but these are the matches I learn from the most. It's these players who show me what I'm doing that's punishable and interrupt the strategies I try to employ (ie, they show me my habits and force me to think outside the box)

Last edited:

Smashmar2

Smash Cadet
Yeah I've definitely been running into better and better players in FG and I'm starting to realize just how much more I have to go before I can even call myself decent, I'm starting to run into more players able to outplay me.

Spirst

Compared to the 3DS version in which majority of the people I found played Mac/didn't play well, the Wii U version has definitely had a number of more competent players. I'm assuming some factors that lead into this are:
-More dedicated fanbase. The 3DS has a lot more units sold than the Wii U which means the sample size is higher for finding casual players. With the Wii U not being as popular, more expensive, and the game costing more, I'm assuming the userbase for it is more dedicated than the 3DS one. Not to mention that for the really casual players, having one version, the 3DS one, could be enough.
-Controls. Some people just straight up suck on the circle pad as opposed to something like the Gamecube Controller.
-Some kind of actual matchmaking system? Not sure about this one but I know the 3DS was notorious for pairing up very differently skilled players.

Rajikaru

Smash Journeyman
As much as I hate to say it, I kinda like getting destroyed and losing 20 times against the same guy with the same character while I keep cycling through what I know. It lets me practice a bunch of characters in different situations, and sometimes I manage to eek out a win after I learn how they play.

Of course if I just keep losing to the same 5 guys because they know how to zone and I don't, I get discouraged with my skill. But, what can ya do?

Rochette

Smash Cadet
My main problem with FG : I never encounter some characters.

I don't know if some of you look the results of characters picking choice per country/region...

Per 1000 FG match I never see a Wii Fit Trainer, Luigi. I see once DDD, G&W, Kirby, Palutena, MK, Rob. Twice : DK, Mario, Lucario, Zelda, Peach, Pit, Dark Pit.
Most of the time, it's Rosalina, Yoshi, Marth/Lucina, Lil Mac,Bowser, Shulk and these days Ness.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
My main problem with FG : I never encounter some characters.

I don't know if some of you look the results of characters picking choice per country/region...

Per 1000 FG match I never see a Wii Fit Trainer, Luigi. I see once DDD, G&W, Kirby, Palutena, MK, Rob. Twice : DK, Mario, Lucario, Zelda, Peach, Pit, Dark Pit.
Most of the time, it's Rosalina, Yoshi, Marth/Lucina, Lil Mac,Bowser, Shulk and these days Ness.
Do you see Villagers at all?

Also, I can't help but notice that as well, the people in FG are progressively getting better. It just makes sense, and the scrubs who keep losing due to spamming, or evne the novice players who get beaten badly, all either retreat, or adapt into better play.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
Yeah, there are some characters that are missing / not represented too much in For Glory, but that's just the nature of a fighting game. Certain characters are just more intuitive, popular, or both and more players pick them up. Can't really complain about that when you're playing against players from the rest of the world.

In the end, you'll only get a good amount of experience out of just playing For Glory, mainly because it's only FD that we're playing on. I think it's still important to seek out friends / communities to play with.

Rayman!

Smash Cadet
NNID
mambur321
3DS FC
4122-5123-5521
That's because the little kids who use little mac and captain falcon dont have enough money to buy a Wii U.

Rochette

Smash Cadet
I encounter some villagers, of course. I don't really complain, it's just sad.

cot(θ)

Smash Journeyman
I feel like this is the case on the 3DS as well. I've noticed an improved quality of opponents lately. Sadly, my L button broke, so I can't play until I get it fixed, or get a Wii U. :(

Top Bottom