• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best way to punish Rolling?

SpruceTengu

Smash Journeyman
An aptly named thread. Since im on summer vacation, i can't play with my usual crew who are considerably more advanced players (they use more advanced techniques and such), and I'm left to play with generally less experienced comepetition in my local area. I mean they're all good buddies of mine, but all they really do is get in rolling wars that end up with "who can roll faster" etc., and this puts a damper on my efforts to teach them to WD/SHFFL etc in order to get more stiff competition. What are some good techniques to really show them that rolling is not as good a tac as they think it is? Thanks for your help ahead of time. : )

Randizzle

Smash Ace
it's pretty simply, just follow the roll then grab them, smash them, combo them, etc at the end of their roll. Also some attacks, such as falcon's raptor boost and ganon's wizard foot can be pretty effective for chasing rolls since they'll often catch a rolling character right out of a roll. Be creative, it's really not too tough to punish an opponent that rolls too much.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Rand's correct about that. It's a horribly predictable pattern once you stop trying to spam hitting them and actually stop for a second and realize exactly what they're doing. Once you figure out they're rolldancing, punishment is just knowing the timing and distance of a roll.

spoonyd

Smash Apprentice
Wow this thread is hilarious. I just PMed someone to ask them a lil about this and somehow missed the answer right here. I'm in the exact same situation with people who just roll constantly. This might shed some light on the subject.

FrostByte

Smash Lord
Jiggs rest is the best way to punish rolling. Sh into the position they roll in and finish them. Rollout works too actually.

pikachun00b7

Smash Lord
The lag will give you time to grab. Then chain-throw 'em. Then tell them that rolling is **** and you proved it through your demonstration. Then pee on their pets.

Mosk

Smash Cadet
~TGM Combo

Really just ask them which character they believe sucks the most(tier rank doesn't matter, just what they believe), and trash them all with the character(s). They'll either want to stop playing smash or start take a few of your pointers.

SpruceTengu

Smash Journeyman
Ah, thanks for the rather varied and yet promising responses. I appreciate the effort that went into your advice...and i'll give most of them a shot. Though i dont plan on peeing on any pets. No offense.. it was a good suggestion but.. not my style.

psicicle

Smash Ace
follow the roll with a SHFFL

or find their habit- most rollers will either try to roll behind you or away from you. Stand roughly within rolling distance and hit them out of the roll.

dashdancing should also work well

tshahi10

Smash Ace
cmon, all you have to do is spam the spin attack. right???. they might even get link-spiked if they roll behind you.or some down smashes may work.

Top Bottom