• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best Way To Practice Wavedash with Marth?

LeadRod

Smash Apprentice
NNID
420B-LAZE-IT!!
So I'm fairly green and I've been trying to get the basic advanced techniques down so that I can start playing competitively. I've gotten a decent handle on a few techniques (such as DDing, L-Canceling, Shorthops, etc.) but my wavedash game is still too shaky for my liking. I'm gonna continue working on it and maybe it's just a matter of time but it is the technique I have put the most time into with the least progression so I figured I'd ask for tips.
Sidenote: I play claw style and use X for wavedash (in case it matters).

AirFair

Marth tho
There isn't much I can tell you except to get the timing down. You want to jump first, and then right after airdoge, so you aren't stuck in an awkward roll or fullhop. I use Y for wavedashing so there's not much I can really tell you.

TheOne

Smash Rookie
I practicing wavedashing with luigi because he is one of the easiest characters to wavedash with. One I got the hang of it I moved onto marth, and it became easier once I learned the movements from luigi.

The input assist option in Project M is helpful for learning it also. Even in Brawl minus, Wavedashing with Fox is extremely easy. Any of these options can help you learn the technique.

Gannonspetmoblin

Smash Apprentice
The way I got most of my tech skill is just practicing in between kills on my opponents; I'll just dance around the stage doing SHFFLs, platform wavelands, IASA dtilts, whatever. I think that's about all the practice you need to be competent for all but the most advanced techniques. It's great because it involves no more time put into the game, because the time between stocks is usually wasted rolling, ledgestalling, or taunting anyways. As the weeks pass you'll start to notice you can run these quick 5 second drills without any thought.

As a funny aside, I used to have a lot of difficulty wavedashing out of shield, because I use the L button for everything, and I figured if I used R to shield I could hold it down the entire time while using Y and L to wavedash. One day I played a full roster Iron Man and realized I couldn't get out of Yoshi's shield (for those unaware, Yoshi cannot jump OOS), and at that moment I realized that I actually habitually would WD OOS with the L button anyways. It was so easy to WD that I could do it on command without having to think about it. And I got to that point by just spamming tech between lives.

And yeah, it doesn't really matter what button you use to jump, people who exclusively use tap jump are degenerates tho

LeadRod

Smash Apprentice
NNID
420B-LAZE-IT!!
As a funny aside, I used to have a lot of difficulty wavedashing out of shield, because I use the L button for everything, and I figured if I used R to shield I could hold it down the entire time while using Y and L to wavedash. One day I played a full roster Iron Man and realized I couldn't get out of Yoshi's shield (for those unaware, Yoshi cannot jump OOS), and at that moment I realized that I actually habitually would WD OOS with the L button anyways. It was so easy to WD that I could do it on command without having to think about it.
Cool, thanks! Hopefully I can make it second nature too at some point!

ssknight7

Smash Apprentice
My problem was getting the timing down between jump and airdodge, so what helped me a lot was just crouching and wavedashing in place to get that timing down. Once I started seeing smoke I knew that timing was right so I started crouching with the analog at a stick so it would move me forward or backward.

After I practiced a couple hours like that things came much more easily. After that, the most time consuming aspect was getting comfortable enough to use it in matches and incorporate it into offense and defensive strategy. It may sound dumb, but I practiced that by playing CPU lvl 3-6 using nothing but wavedashes for movement. This obviously isn't a serious match strategy but it does get you used to performing the inputs under duress.

As everyone has said keep practicing, but practice perfectly. When you get your wavedashes down, don't be satisfied with the sloppy wavedashes. Force muscle memory for crisp/perfect wavedashes. If you're going to put in the time practicing something, you might as well get it right.

Just my opinion.

Prince_Phonse

Smash Rookie
So I'm fairly green and I've been trying to get the basic advanced techniques down so that I can start playing competitively. I've gotten a decent handle on a few techniques (such as DDing, L-Canceling, Shorthops, etc.) but my wavedash game is still too shaky for my liking. I'm gonna continue working on it and maybe it's just a matter of time but it is the technique I have put the most time into with the least progression so I figured I'd ask for tips.
Sidenote: I play claw style and use X for wavedash (in case it matters).
What do. You mean that your wavedashing game is too shaky ? Is it the actual action I wave dashing or is it implementing it in to game play?

Sandbag Main

Smash Rookie
Call me insane, but I'd say to practice on fourside and just chase around the UFO whenever it shows up. You'd get instant feedback on whether you actually wavedashed or not, and if you get good enough you can practice doing a turnaround with wavedashes just as a secondary option. Plus, it'll put a smile on your face while you practice.

JustYuck

Big Tipper
The way I learned is by preforming a full hop and air dodging downward diagonally, then short hopping and air dodging downward diagonally. Slowly begin to air dodge downward sooner and sooner until you are doing that downward dodge almost immediately after jumping. The issue for me is applying wavedashes correctly with marth, I can't seem to find a whole lot of use for them aside from WD to shield and shield grabbing, but maybe thats not the hard part for you. Hope this helps!

Sleepy Driz

Smash Cadet
I just want to note that short hopping isn't required when wavedashing. You can hold the jump button after you press L or R for the duration of the wavedash with no drawback. The timing for how long you press jump isn't very strict, which should hopefully help make the entire motion easy and comfortable, especially since Marth's wavedash is such an essential part of his movement game.

Top Bottom