• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best way to deal with shield&grab?

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
So I'm not the best player. I'm pretty good. But one thing that screws me up is that, since I'm an aggressive player most of the time, when I short hop and dair, they shield and quickly grab me and throw me. Makes me wish throwing was never a thing in SSB XD

But seriously, I've resorted to just using Marth to break their shield. I do win some of those matches, but I was wondering if any of yall knew any consistent way without shield breaker to counter the shield+grab combo.

;_;

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
So I'm not the best player. I'm pretty good. But one thing that screws me up is that, since I'm an aggressive player most of the time, when I short hop and dair, they shield and quickly grab me and throw me. Makes me wish throwing was never a thing in SSB XD

But seriously, I've resorted to just using Marth to break their shield. I do win some of those matches, but I was wondering if any of yall knew any consistent way without shield breaker to counter the shield+grab combo.

;_;
I play aggresive too, so I can have the same problem. That technique is kind of hard to overcome, so maybe play more defensive. Maybe you could run towards the opponent, then roll back to kind of fake the attack and then strike.

Honestly, I've had this problem since project M. There are times when we need to play a little more defensive.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Just grab them first. SHDair is not a good approach. Spaced aerials that cannot be shield grabbed are better for pressuring shields. Ambiguous *Cross-ups are also good.

*A Cross-Up is when you land behind your opponent after you hit their shield with an attack. Generally this is best done ambiguously, so that your opponent incorrectly tries to punish you assuming they are in front of you, causing them to whiff their punish.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Just grab them first. SHDair is not a good approach. Spaced aerials that cannot be shield grabbed are better for pressuring shields. Ambiguous *Cross-ups are also good.

*A Cross-Up is when you land behind your opponent after you hit their shield with an attack. Generally this is best done ambiguously, so that your opponent incorrectly tries to punish you assuming they are in front of you, causing them to whiff their punish.
Sort of like Villager's slingshot then?

Also I see what you mean, sometimes I land behind them and they try to grab forward and miss. Guess I should be purposely aiming for that then. Thanks~ :D

firewingpegasus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NanaSuki
3DS FC
0731-4761-5838
Cross-ups.

Also, pivot tilting or pivot smashing seems to work very well for me. If you know they're gonna try to shield-grab, just aim to be behind them after the dash pivot and punish them.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
A few things.

Grab them
Stay out of their grab range (be aggressive and safe with where you put your attacks)
Attack behind their shield so the can't grab you.

I could go into more detail but those are generally the options you want to stick with.

Darkman.exe213

Smash Apprentice
Space aerials and pokes so your opponent is far away wfter you attack, that's usually the best way to avoid being shield grabbed. Just because you're using a normal move doesn't mean you have to be at point-blank range. Try to hit from the furthest possible distance.

Last edited:

Sliq

Smash Master
1.) Use moves that auto cancel; have little landing lag, or have huge range.

2.) You need to space these aerials so that you either barely hit their shield or barely miss them entirely. It's better to hit their shield because a small a mount of shield stun and push back is better than NONE.

3.) Cross ups. For example, I'll short hop and nair with Link, but I'll land behind them. They can't shield grab, and if they try I can hit them.

Spacing is the most important, because even with no lag shield stun is so low they can grab you before you can get away after an auto cancel.

Seriously, SPACING.

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
The problem isn't always being shield-grabbed as much as it is being hit with anything and everything else out of shield. If your opponent is sitting in shield waiting to grab, it's often pretty easy to space a powerful attack that puts a large dent in their shield and shoves them straight out of grab range before they can act out of shield. The problem is that they can also do just about any normal move out of shield in Smash 4 thanks to the crazy-fast shield drop, such as an FSmash, FTilt, DTilt, or DSmash, and can frequently punish your endlag.

Vanillascout

Smash Cadet
I personally just gave up and started playing ganon.

Grampa Falcon so slow people know you're not gonna waste your time chasing after them, so they'll just come to you.

Top Bottom