• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best way to cover for attack getup when tech chasing?

shyyft

Smash Rookie
I've been practicing tech chasing with the 20xx hackpack by uthrowing a 0% falco. I've been trying a few things and not sure which one I should be doing to compensate for getup attack. Wavedash back just outside the getup attack range (if they miss the tech right next to you)? But can I still react to roll away from that far? Jab reset? But what if they miss the tech right outside my jab range while I'm still in their getup attack range? React to the getup attack animation with a shield? Is that possible to do constantly?

So basically I just want to make sure I'm creating the correct muscle memory. Is one of these the best way to do it, or is there a completely different way to do it? I'm looking for ease and consistency. Also if uthrowing 0% falco in 20xx isn't the best way to practice tech chasing other suggestions would be great. Thanks, any help is appreciated.

Pauer

The Pauerful
If falco is below 28%, jab resetting is usually the best thing to do since it results in an optionless getup. For more info, see this post.
If falco is at 28% or higher, it's probably best to simply upsmash, downtilt or dash attack the missed tech immediately. For that you need to be positioned close to where they land. If you can't reach that position - although this should be feasible when upthrowing falco at 0% - you simply might not be able to cover everything.
But I think you really shoudn't worry about that too much. People usually only start to miss techs intentionally if you can tech chase regular techs rather well. Until then, missed techs are usually mistakes and predictable ones too. If you feel like they'll miss a tech, just upair them or wavedash in front of them and f-smash. You wanna time it so you hit them as they touch the ground.

pyroplushy

Smash Rookie
if you wanna be really fancy you can powershield it then WD OoS into an attack

1000g2g3g4g800999

Smash Journeyman
^ The "power" part of shielding here isn't really necessary. If you're going to do that, might as well do the attack out of shield without the wavedash.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Yes you can react to the getup attack with powershield. You can even add in an option select grab.

Read Gravy's tech chasing thread or watch the video. He uses falcon specifically, but the theory behind it works with every character.

F1SHER

scrub
Slippi.gg
FSHR#913
cc, power/shield, or maybe fullhop aerial. or shine, if you position and react appropriately

Top Bottom