• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best use for Ness' throws

AvariceX

Smash Champion
NNID
AvariceX
3DS FC
1177-8001-5699
D-throw i use as a semi-tech chase because, once they are thrown they have 3 options
air-dodge
attack
or jump

if they air dodge its easy to punish them for it
if they attack raise your shield , and punish them for it, either with utilt, or another grab.
if they jump, which nearly no one does, then they get away.
4th option: DI away safely and laugh at only taking 9% damage from a throw.

Thunda-Moo

Smash Apprentice
Pretty much.

How good would you say is dthrow at setting someone up for a spike? If they DI away, then they lose that vertical distance they would want to get away from your offstage PKF or spike. Obviously, this would be pretty situational, but wouldn't dthrow be superior to Ness' other throws for setting up a few offstage things due to its low tragectory?

CarVac

Smash Journeyman
No; grab releases work pretty well. Dthrow can be DI'd to almost straight up, so they can avoid the spike (especially with the startup on dair). Fthrow is more effective, as well as doing more damage and getting them offstage for PKT guarding.

Chuee

Smash Hero
Not if they AD.
Chuee, just watch pretty much any quality Ness match and you'll get it. Or just assume we know what we're talking about and move on.
All Ness' I see do that hit with the head.
The tail is pretty useless for juggling seeing as how it has literally no knockback. All they have to do is wait for it to disappear and then punish you.

CarVac

Smash Journeyman
You tailwhip and then hit with the head. The tailwhip prevents them from attacking the head.

Edit: @Thunda-Moo
It's too short a distance to really juggle, and the hitstun is really low so they can avoid you (by airdodging, jumping again, or attacking).

kennypu

Smash Journeyman
Not if they AD.

All Ness' I see do that hit with the head.
The tail is pretty useless for juggling seeing as how it has literally no knockback. All they have to do is wait for it to disappear and then punish you.
you have not watched quality ness matches. The tails purpose is not for knockback, its to allow the HEAD to hit. The tail immobolizes the enemy while you circle around and hit them with the head. The tail is only used to LEAD for the head, or sometimes even pkt2 if done correctly, to hit. If the tail hits you, its pretty much a guarantee hit for the head as well. Because you pop up after that, it can be used to juggle.

kennypu

Smash Journeyman
exactly what levitas said. because of the platforms, and the timing at which he turned the pkt, the head would have not hit, which is why he just went straight. either way showing that video proves my point. You can clearly see that olimar DID get hit by the tail, and you can visualize that if the head were to turn around, it would have hit.

EDIT: i'll post a video of a old match:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvgyX0J1usc
right after 1:35. 1st pkt punishes his aerial dodge, second pkt is what i've been arguing about.

Vurky

k
NNID
Vurkyzo
So you mean I shouldn't try to combo to much?
One of my usual aerial combos is BAir'ing them twice,mostly sweetspotted.

Not to go too much of topic,but is BThrow really only good for kills? Aren't there any possible follow-ups at low %'s?
As you already mentioned your friends fails at DI (right)? You can trap them by going to the almost edge on walkoff part in Delfino plaza and bthrow and pivot dash grab into fthrow. Gives you a nice 0% death xD But it only works at like 0% :laugh:

Top Bottom