• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best team

Aether_Lord

Smash Apprentice
What is the best team out there character wise do you people see? i personally think either G&W and Ness or Ike & Marth

zamz

Smash Journeyman
There is no "best" team. Most teams can be made to work. These kinds of matches rely more on cooperation and teamwork than anything else. Both players are better off using their mains, instead of using two characters they're unfamiliar with that are supposed to be "really good" togeather.

That being said, a good team has balance. It has good range, a projectile, a strong ariel game and a character that can quickly rack up damage. Good partners compliment eachother. Probably the worst team you can create would be a dittos team. Work with opposites: try a fast and a slow character, or high damage and strong smash characters.

Other than that, skill and teamwork matter more than the character selected in 2v2. There are too many variables which makes team play entirely different from 1v1 matches, where 1v1 matches depend on the character selected.

Crow!

Smash Lord
I don't think the community has come close enough to determining how all the 1v1 matches shake up to expect to make any headway on 2v2 matchups. Let's do an order of magnitude of complexity estimate:

1v1 has [select one of 35 characters (maybe more depending on how you count)] x [select another] x [however many actions/strategies player 1's character can execute.. somewhere on the order of 20] x [same for player 2] is about 500,000 things to analyze (or at least to be able to guess how the situation would work out).
The "actions" count is probably wrong, and it certainly varies by character, but as long as we stay consitent when we go to 2v2 it should be okay.

In 2v2, we have [(35 choose 2) = 595] teams of characters available. We have approximately squared the number of combinations of "actions" available (it's probably more than that because timing/positioning between the combinations of characters become part of the team's actions). So we have about [595]x[595]x[400]x[400] is on the order of 50,000,000,000 things to consider or at least to be able to guess how it would work out. That's 100,000 times more information to crunch.

So don't expect any sort of absolute "these teams are the best possible teams" analysis to be appearing anytime soon. Work on the intuition of you and your partner to guess at a good team and game plan, and as zamz says, pick characters each player is good at using individually. Any time a 2v2 splits into two 1v1s, you need to be able to stay competitive.

Metal

Smash Cadet
Cinci, OH (And my social security # is...)
Snake/MK. So good.
I think they represent a good aspect of Team Matches; actually using your partner instead of just splitting into separate 1v1 fights. Snake sticks MK with a C4 and then has him tag the opponent; MK carries Snake back to the stage with Tornado; Drill Rush right into any of Snake's smashes (MK bounces back at the end); Snake crawling while MK fires a weapon/Dtilt crawling while Snake covers with Nikita. Nothing beats true teamwork (Pummeling while Fox lasers does not count).

Aether_Lord

Smash Apprentice
Well i did but i did not see one.... iunno if i did a good enough job sorry about it if there were but yeah still didnt find one even used search engine

Top Bottom