• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best Secondary For Mario?

Mokeyo

Smash Rookie
Mario is one of few characters for me where his matchup spread is on the whole relatively decent but I still want to try and learn a character that compliments Mario such that they cover his weak match ups. I've experimented with ZSS who seems pretty good and helps against campy Rosalinas (which I struggle against) but I'm still left wondering who else could work.

Mario mains like me, post your secondaries! Also post matchups where you think you would switch to that secondary.

1upNick

Smash Rookie
NNID
Epicat21
3DS FC
3368-4304-1335
I would think shiek or pikachu would work too...

Last edited:

Jdawg9876

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jdawg9876
3DS FC
4399-1836-0019
Honestly from my standpoint, just find a character that suits your own personal needs.

For instance, I myself am a great Mario player and I like his agility and how balanced he is, but sometimes instead of having a balance, I like to overload my speed and agility. I occasionally like to use Fox or Sheik because the two of them are so fast and agile. :4mario: :4fox: :4sheik:

Experiment with every character until you find the one that matches your taste

Treedot

Smash Journeyman
Usually my go-to backup is Yoshi, but maining Mario is kind of messing up the way I used to play Yoshi, and making me do bad things as a result. So I'm thinking I'm probably going to use Pikachu as a backup from now on. Possibly Lucas.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Mario's worst/most akward mus are generally anti-combo floaties(yoshi, peach, luigi) and anti-grab chars with range that aren't super susceptible to his combos. (Rosalina, Greninja, Marth)

Additionally, he has trouble securing stocks depending on the stage. Characters like game and watch, pacman, and villager pretty much need to be killed by usmash or bthrow. So platforms and wide blastzones of bf/dreamland hurt that.

Meanwhile, characters like marth, ness, and pits have really good spacial safety without platforms and you don't really get to usmash/bthrow them anyway.

The character with the best ease of use to MU coverage ratio is probably Metaknight or Yoshi. Falcon, Bowser, and Rosalina also have a good ease of use to stage/mu coverage ratio, but not as good in doubles and more prone to getting BS'd.

And of course Sheik is an especially good secondary as she's a lot of those characters worst MUs, those MUs are easy to play out for her, and she's much better on BF/FD/Smashville whereas mario is much better on Dreamland/T&C/Lylat/Duck Hunt.

Worst choices IMO would be sonic, fox, and pikachu.

Large Dad

Smash Cadet
NNID
ITSYOPAPA
3DS FC
2680-9462-5670
I like to use :4cloud2: (My real main) because believe it or not, Mario and Cloud act kind of at the same way. When you transfer from playing one to the other it just compliments each other so well.

monzer

Smash Journeyman
Villager is a good option, as the range of his attacks contrasts Mario's short range attacks.

The21stSmasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-7518-6470-1706
Well, I recommend that you use Corrin, as a secondary; if you can handle Mario's weight, then you most certainly handle Corrin. Which explains why I use him/her myself. ;)

eldavo2090

Smash Rookie
NNID
eldavo2510
3DS FC
0791-3398-6999
Well, i am also a mario player, and wanted to ask how good of a secondary character is ness to mario?

Axel311

Smash Ace
NNID
axel311
I think it depends on who you personally struggle with as a player. Mario has the tools to do well against anyone in the cast. If you struggle with heavies, pick up a zoner like villager, megaman or samus. If you struggle with a specific top tier, pick up their counter. So if you're bad against Rosa pick up meta knight. Or if you're bad against mewtwo pick up cloud. But it might in the end benefit you more overall as a player to just learn those matchups rather than split your practice time between more than 1 character. Mario can definitely be solo mained.

Last edited:
Top Bottom