• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best ROB Players?

Ornstine

Smash Cadet
NNID
Faroose
3DS FC
3454-1164-7348
Hello fellow ROB mains and enthusiasts! I have a question regarding viable tourney ROB players as I'm having a very hard time finding any. After watching many smash 4 matches at Apex 2015 I heard that Vinnie was one of the best ROB mains but he quit him playing him for Sheik as ROB just wasn't cutting it for him. Sadly after Vinnie's sudden change of heart I was unable to find a viable tournament ROB player. I have looked a bit on youtube with People with lots of experience in the smash 4 scene such as Zero and Jtails (Maybe Mew2King too) with their knowledge of probably the whole cast but they didn't really touch upon ROB in any matter with their character analysis videos or basic for glory play. As of now the only one I found that creates videos for ROB (and Rosalina) is Acethestar3rd

(Squeak from Xanadu weekly has a decent ROB too but I'm looking for the best not decent)

Ace is very knowledgeable in ROBs abilities and entertaining as well but he even still hasn't mastered ROB as he says so himself at the end of his ROB videos. He is currently in the making of a ROB video guide as he made a fantastic Rosalina guide so that would help me a lot but I still want to see the highest level of ROB that can be played and see if I can imitate that kind of play style.

The more great ROB mains you guys know the better! As combining many different playstyles such as Vinnies old ROB and Aces ROB for example can be very rewarding and can help me change up styles mid match if my opponent has me figured out and maybe help me combine techniques together. Also Tourney/Ladder matches videos or guides and technique videos help more then Text posts IMO but I'm not going to get picky. Even the littlest bits of help is appreciated! Thanks! :4rob:

Brazen Rook

Smash Rookie
NNID
Phrymz
@ChiboSempai was a top brawl ROB, but I don't know if he was at Apex this year. Or if he plays ROB in Sm4sh at the moment XD.

Last edited:

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Right now I dare to say that Chibo, 8bitman and myself are some of the best. I believe there's a Japanese ROB that caught my attention as well but I'm forgetting his name.

You're right. There's not much footage out there atm. Especially not on my end. Smash 4 for me was a transfer process. It took me a couple weeks to transfer all of my Brawl knowledge over to Smash 4. There are vids of me undergoing that transition, so I don't quite recommend them.

Another thing, I am looking into pumping out ROB material for you all. Maybe I'm not the best, or near it. Maybe. But I'm a very experienced and competent player. And I have a fire in me to get a beepton better. One of the things you don't see much is higher level players reaching out to newer players. I hope to be that guy (and hopefully one of many some day) that will help any and every ROB main he can.

I'm here man. You're welcome to join our skype grp. And I invite you to bring any questions you have over to the Q&A thread.

Last edited:

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
I played mister Eric at apex and he's definitely really good, significantly better than me at least. No idea on chibo though, I only saw about a minute of one of his pools matches.

Brazen Rook

Smash Rookie
NNID
Phrymz
I'm here man. You're welcome to join our skype grp. And I invite you to bring any questions you have over to the Q&A thread.
Speaking of skype groups, would you mind if I joined please? I have a lot to learn about ROB, and competitive smash in general. My id is: brazen.rook

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
I played mister Eric at apex and he's definitely really good, significantly better than me at least. No idea on chibo though, I only saw about a minute of one of his pools matches.
Was great finally meeting you btw! Ty for coming up to me! And I can def tell you have that Brawl ROB experience. Keep at that ROB training. I wanna see us both leveled up the next time we meet.

Speaking of skype groups, would you mind if I joined please? I have a lot to learn about ROB, and competitive smash in general. My id is: brazen.rook
Sure thing!

Last edited:

B_Bech

Smash Cadet
NNID
B_Bech
3DS FC
2578-3111-2218
Honestly, you should look at all ROBs in tournament. The best is kinda relative.

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
You do learn tidbits here and there from anyone. Or reminders of fundamentals, etc.

edit: raffi is a beast too. prob best rob atm. especially on wifi at least

Last edited:

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
I believe we're still waiting on that ONE amazing ROB player that'll be dedicated to him.

Mister Eric DOES have a solid, intelligent ROB. I like to think of my ROB as being pretty good myself but I've yet to get used to the gyro shenanigans that he pulls lol. I still struggle to overcome Rob's weaknesses when it comes to landing.

And Raffi needs to come out to some offline tournaments. I think his Rob is great.

Last edited:

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
I think one of the nice things about ROB is there's many different ways to play ROB because of the variance in his projectiles. With the gyro specifically, there's many different ways to use it in your gameplay. I noticed this when I played Mister Eric this past weekend. I usually use the gyro as a trap to force my opponent somewhere that I'm prepared to punish (z-dropping by the ledge so they have to jump over then I punish) in a strictly defensive style. Mister Eric's ROB did the flashiest thing I've ever seen where he dropped the gyro on the ledge, nicked the opponent with it and daired them offstage out of it.

It's not that hard to do, just very situational, but that sort of thing never really occurred to me. I use the gyro as a safety mechanism and I never really use it offensively (at least not extremely, I do approach out of range and drop it to see how they react, regrab it and repeat).

Ornstine

Smash Cadet
NNID
Faroose
3DS FC
3454-1164-7348
Wow thanks guys! Especially to Mister Eric to have the person i was looking for help me out is great! Anyway after a little research i managed to find 4 videos of your ROB and its is amazing Even tho you lost that's not really the point of my research your still very good at playing ROB plus i managed to find a VERY good Meta Knight that you fought named Katakiri (A character also underplayed that i play) I also took a look at Chibo who has ALOT of matches so i have alot to look forward from him and The others such as Raffi and 8Bitman are great too. As for the Skype group ill probably end up joining it after i got finally get used to ROB on a competitive level as it seems like a great way to get better at playing ROB and make a few more friends along the ride too.

Ill probably study Acestarthe3rds ROB as of now to start things off as his playstyle is what im most used to at the moment Then move on to Chibo and Mister Erics and if i have time the others as well.

Thanks alot guys! With all these different playstyles Acestarthe3rd's ROB Guide coming out very soon and tons of info on smash boards looks like im all set. If i have any more questions ill ask you or any other ROB enthusiasts in the Q&A Forum Good luck on mastering ROB everyone :4rob::rob::4rob:

Vinnie

Smash Master
I definitely still use ROB. I used & won with ROB game 3 against Angel Cortes aka iKon when I was 1-1 with him in WF of our pool (sheik vs diddy were games 1 and 2). Those were recorded. I also beat KDJ 2-0 with ROB, against his diddy and dedede. People have been posting and saying that I dropped ROB, but it's simply not the case. I also use Sheik and Diddy though.

al-LAYN

Smash Cadet
I definitely still use ROB. I used & won with ROB game 3 against Angel Cortes aka iKon when I was 1-1 with him in WF of our pool (sheik vs diddy were games 1 and 2). Those were recorded. I also beat KDJ 2-0 with ROB, against his diddy and dedede. People have been posting and saying that I dropped ROB, but it's simply not the case. I also use Sheik and Diddy though.
You choosing R.O.B. back at Apex definitely brought a smile to my face, and it definitely made the chat and /ssbg/ go nuts with your performance with him. I think a lot of people don't have the MU experience against him and are often left in awe after they see what he's capable of (nerfs and all). Seems odd to hear rumors about you dropping him, though, especially since there has been a handful of footage uploaded of you playing him out there (from the crew battles to KTAR X and whatnot). Nonetheless, I still wanna see more of your R.O.B.; it's always refreshing to look at some high level play of him for both analysis and enjoyment.

Blue Ninjakoopa

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlueNinjakoopa
3DS FC
3265-5187-8163
I don't mean to flash my own LED, but I was undefeated in R.O.B. dittos until yesterday when I lost to a R.O.B. player named Sassy (whom I'd defeated before). I've placed decently in tournaments using R.O.B. only pretty much, only going Mario one time to deal with a Samus/Fox player (http://www.ssbwiki.com/User:Blue_Ninjakoopa#Super_Smash_Bros._for_Wii_U). I'd say I'm at least a decent R.O.B. Unfortunately, no videos exist of me playing, so all I have to fall back on are links to tournament results.

I might be the worst R.O.B. though because I've yet to activate that burner glitch in a match. :(

UPDATE: Mister Eric beat my ass recently in dittos.

Last edited:

Lunix7

Smash Apprentice
Nice to see a lot of good R.O.B. players in here! I would love to vs. anyone here to get better with R.O.B. Even though I'm really good with R.O.B I feel like there is room for improvement. I play the 3ds ver. (which seems to be dead now...) but if anyone wants to vs. just let me know or let me know if there is a board that I can play against R.O.B. players since the wi-fi discussion board here seems to be dead...

Top Bottom