• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best PM Samus Player?

Chill1208

Smash Cadet
Who is the best Project M Samus player in the world, and can you please share some youtube videos of their greatness?

SSS

Smash Ace
Who is the best Project M Samus player in the world, and can you please share some youtube videos of their greatness?
This is pretty debatable because in my opinion no Samus player has really come up to show her potential. Most Samus players just play her exactly like Melee Samus, which is fine, but you miss out on some really good tools that she has that way.

That being said, HugS does really well when he plays PM, as does ESAM. I would watch ESAM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJbujOFqhoY

POOB

Smash Journeyman
The best samus players are ESAM, ESAM, and probably ESAM

Litt

Samus
Dude why do you have tko as your prof pic? :/ also while I agree with everyone on ESAM, they also have to consider he places as well as he does... because of the pika and dk in his pocket to cover samus's pretty ****ty MUs

Last edited:

POOB

Smash Journeyman
he's still the best samus undoubtedly lol

Litt

Samus
he's still the best samus undoubtedly lol
Eh, I think he would lose to Plup in the ditto tbh, esp since MK + Samus combo would beat out DK pika Samus imo

Last edited:

POOB

Smash Journeyman
Yeah unfortunately in smash it isn't as easy as winning a ditto to prove who's better

Boiko

:drshrug:
Esam is the best, without a doubt.
Barbie is right that he does have pocket characters, but really, Samus doesn't have too many bad match ups to begin with.

POOB

Smash Journeyman
Ive only seen him use secondaries vs mewtwo. But he prob uses them for others im not too up to date. He's also the kind of person who uses secondaries just for fun even though he knows he can win with samus lol

Litt

Samus
Esam is the best, without a doubt.
Barbie is right that he does have pocket characters, but really, Samus doesn't have too many bad match ups to begin with.
That is horse crap, Ike, sonic, squirtle are all bad MUs... on top of the bad ones from melee, falcon shiek puff marth, mario is also pretty bad for samus, as is link....

@ Chevy Chevy . That guy and ESAM need to fight.
More likely than not, Chevy would lose to ESAM, no offense bud, but when we played we were going pretty even, and when I played ESAM, he won by a stock game 1 and 2 game 2. But then again with 3.5 coming out with more melee like controls I think all of that would change between ESAM and myself and it would be drastically closer.

POOB

Smash Journeyman
NO ONE CARES ABOUT DITTOS!!! lol

Also, why did u say not too long ago when we played netplay that samus bodies falcon? Did you find something out about the MU that you didnt know? Im curious, since i have a pocket falcon

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Maybe he was referring to the fact that if Samus can get ahold of Falcon (which is fairly difficult), she can do a lot of damage, and probably have a good chance at a KO.

Boiko

That is horse crap, Ike, sonic, squirtle are all bad MUs... on top of the bad ones from melee, falcon shiek puff marth, mario is also pretty bad for samus, as is link.
Samus is a lot better in PM than melee and definitely doesn't suffer in some of those MUs nearly as much as she used to. Considering the ability to kill Puff no longer relies on getting grabs or racking up a lot of damage to kill with Nair/Bair and considering how weak Puff is overall in PM, I would say Samus wins. The buff the CCing and her increased edge guarding proficiency gives her tons of tools against Falcon. Spacies are u smashes ***** period. Sheik I can agree with. I don't think it's as bad as it was in melee, but it's not too good here. Marth has a much harder time with Samus than in melee as well. Ike is super easy. He can be f tilted out of QD or even boost balled. He is easy to edge guard with missiles, especially ice homing which stop him dead in his tracks. Mario and Link are good on everyone lol. I don't have much Squirtle Samus mu experience so I won't speak to that.

pooch182

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4227-3177-9014
My main training partner is an Ike main, and I would say that the MU is in Ike's favor. Traditionally, Samus has had issues against sword characters, but now her Zair has really changed the spacing game of those MUs. Ike's ability to cover so much space with QD and the length of his sword makes him the most difficult FE character to deal with. Marth can't do very much to outspace Samus anymore, and Roy is just dead after any stray missile.

As far as Squirtle goes, I used to have trouble with him, but I just figured out the MU super hard the other day. Obviously ice mode is the murder weapon in this MU, and missiles are a no go. This might be player specific, but I found that I could just DD around and bait Squirtle into a dsmash on shield, which can be shield grabbed, or just faired OoS. Squirtle dies super early from Usmash and Fair, and edge-guarding him is a breeze. If you see he's trying to recover low and you can grab ledge, drop ledge and bomb, then just follow him and, depending on your spacing relating to him, you can nair, sweetspot bair, or just tether and restart.

Falcon still ****s us pretty hard, but we've got better punishes on him that can lead to a free stock if they play dumb. Puff loses to us because ice fists her raw. Sheik can't deal with charge shot anymore due to losing hurtboxes on her needles, and ice beats her pretty hard.

Sonic. . . I'll just say we're too slow. Link needs to be fought with ice, and if you can somehow bait him into playing on platforms, you win, otherwise it's the hardest MU (imo). Mario is just dumb and will get 3.5'd to death.

As for the best Samus, I really like watching ESAM for innovation, but Chevy offers a lot of phenomenal material to study. I haven't seen much of Barbie, but I enjoyed watching his set against Wizzrobe was very entertaining and had some great stuff to take away from.

Basically, you can take any player's footage and learn from it, no matter what their skill level. You can watch me pretend to be good for a stock and a half against Rat or ORLY or Scythe, and there's great stuff to try and practice, and then their are habits that can be eliminated from your play. Watching somebody else play can actually help you identify bad habits in your own play that you can go without noticing from studying your own film.

Boiko

If you're letting Ike control space with QD as Samus, the problem is you. :/

Also, fire is infinitely better against Sheik until ice fair kill percents.

PerryGriffith

Smash Rookie
Pooche mentioned sonic earlier in the thread. Anybody know of that kid who whooped M2K with his Sonic in Project M? Totally blanking on his name, but he was pretty sick.

pooch182

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4227-3177-9014
Yeah, Wizzrobe is an incredible player all around. As far as letting Ike control space with QD, he doesn't spam it. He plays Ganon in Melee, and his platform movement has transferred very well. Nair comes out deceivingly quickly, and beats missiles and can safely close space. QD just closes the gap super well if you make a single mistake. He can turn a grab into a stock pretty easily, also, even with good DI.

As for Sheik, I've only played half decent ones that aren't a threat to me, so I guess that could just be them being scrubby. I'll trust you on that one.

Chevy

Smash Ace
I once though Ike was easy, shoot a missile then he's done, right? Then a good Ike player moved to town. Ike is a nightmare, a whirling monstrosity of force and range. I cannot z-air enough, he fights for his friends and Samus is not one of them.

And I'm not as good as ESAM, my neutral is kinda trashy. Basically what Pooch said though, watch all the Samus players, she's got such a deep kit that you'll probably learn something new from just about any competent Samus that you watch.

Last edited:

Boiko

Yeah, Wizzrobe is an incredible player all around. As far as letting Ike control space with QD, he doesn't spam it. He plays Ganon in Melee, and his platform movement has transferred very well. Nair comes out deceivingly quickly, and beats missiles and can safely close space. QD just closes the gap super well if you make a single mistake. He can turn a grab into a stock pretty easily, also, even with good DI.

As for Sheik, I've only played half decent ones that aren't a threat to me, so I guess that could just be them being scrubby. I'll trust you on that one.
Sheik was generally agreed upon to be Samus' worst MU in melee and although it's not AS bad in PM, it's not particularly good either. Needles destroying charge shot weren't that big of an issue. The issue with needles were that they gave her tons on stage control and destroyed her recovery and they not only hit samus but also destroyed bombs. Sheik's tippered usmash also kills floaty Samus very early, which defeats her great recovery. Plus she can convert to a lot off of a grab.

I'm still not sold on Ike being hard for Samus. You can control all of his space so well, and punish his only approach.

Litt

Samus
As for the shiek samus MU, I honestly find the stage is more of a deciding factor for elemental preference as well as how agro the sheik is, as for it in PM, it is much closer to even b/c down throw fair is now longer a set follow up because you can Di out of it in PM. In melee I have to say samus's worst MU is puff, plain and simple because we just dont have tools to recover against her, in PM now that we have the ice fair and ice up smash, the match up is much closer to even if not in her favor, but again, no puffs really in pm because of how buffered everyone else is. I also just think the ikes you have been playing have been rather sub par if you dont think its a bad match up with the kill off of throws with the fair b/c samus can't DI out of it from my experience, yes mario is going to be nerf city in 3.5, and lol @ Chevy Chevy 's neutral

Last edited:

Boiko

The Ike I've played with isn't AMAZING by any means, but he's definitely a really solid player, Godot. Has a few notable wins.

And yeah, I agree about Puff in melee, especially since we also have such a hard time killing the lightest character in the game. Just a nightmare of a MU if the Puff has any clue on what they're doing.

Litt

Samus
The Ike I've played with isn't AMAZING by any means, but he's definitely a really solid player, Godot. Has a few notable wins.

And yeah, I agree about Puff in melee, especially since we also have such a hard time killing the lightest character in the game. Just a nightmare of a MU if the Puff has any clue on what they're doing.
Zero PM vidoes of Godot that I could find, all I see is a ledge camping brawl ike lol, I just dont think you have been exposed to a high enough level of ike to understand the MU well enough to speak on it bud, especailly since you only play with... one ike and they are by no mean "amazing"

Boiko

Zero PM vidoes of Godot that I could find, all I see is a ledge camping brawl ike lol, I just dont think you have been exposed to a high enough level of ike to understand the MU well enough to speak on it bud, especailly since you only play with... one ike and they are by no mean "amazing"
I don't have many videos either, doesn't mean I'm not a top level Ness.

pooch182

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4227-3177-9014
From what I saw in that video, is that you don't really have the best spacing or neutral game. Perhaps it was due to the lack of experience with the Mario MU in Melee, but at the same time, defending your skill as a player is hard to do without any sort of proof to back it up. Besides you, we've all pretty much concluded that Ike is a hard MU, and you aren't really offering solid counter points other than the fact that, hypothetically, our zoning just covers everything. That statement is absolutely false, plain and simple.

As far as Puff in Melee goes, I don't know if I would say it's objectively her worst MU, but I'll be damned if I don't hate that puffball piece of ****. I've found that, even though she can beat missiles with her aerials, missiles can still prove to be very good at baiting puff into approaching. I don't really throw any moves out besides fsmash and dair, and I try to create as much space as possible to charge up. Hit her once, then charge shot. If you miss, run away and repeat. Obnoxious and boring, but relatively doable if you can remain patient. Puff can do some really dumb **** to us, though.

Boiko

From what I saw in that video, is that you don't really have the best spacing or neutral game. Perhaps it was due to the lack of experience with the Mario MU in Melee, but at the same time, defending your skill as a player is hard to do without any sort of proof to back it up. Besides you, we've all pretty much concluded that Ike is a hard MU, and you aren't really offering solid counter points other than the fact that, hypothetically, our zoning just covers everything. That statement is absolutely false, plain and simple. .
That was also my second match of the day after driving for over 2 hours and I undeniably played like trash. As the day when on I did much better, placing ninth in a game I hardly play. :'(

There are a few videos of my Ness on youtube, although I don't really think they are an indicator of my skill.
AND EDIT FOR ROLEX/SEAGULL: ~*~

Edit: And once again, judging my PM credentials based on a melee video is not accurate.

I disagree that Ike is a bad MU for Samus. It doesn't mean that you guys are wrong. It's just a different opinion. Next time I see DJ I'll play his Ike. He's a least decent, right?

Last edited:

Kaysick

Smash Journeyman
I've played against Metroid's Ike as Samus and it wasn't that fun. Touching on the Falcon MU, it still sucks for Samus at times but Zair and Up smash really hinder Falcon's ability to do anything. DI may mess you up, but you can easily just chain Up smashes against fast fallers and get a grab > dthrow > fsmash and pretty easily clear a stock depending on %'s.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
That was also my second match of the day after driving for over 2 hours and I undeniably played like trash. As the day when on I did much better, placing ninth in a game I hardly play. :'(

There are a few videos of my Ness on youtube, although I don't really think they are an indicator of my skill.
FTR, I have wins over G$, Animal, Rolex, Gallo, Stereo Kidd, Narq, Seagull Joe, DVD, Codi, John Numbers among others.

Edit: And once again, judging my PM credentials based on a melee video is not accurate.

I disagree that Ike is a bad MU for Samus. It doesn't mean that you guys are wrong. It's just a different opinion. Next time I see DJ I'll play his Ike. He's a least decent, right?
You don't have wins over me. You have taken one round from me where I won the set. There's a clear difference between the two.

:018:

Last edited:

Captain Zack

Banned via Administration
NNID
Chibi_Zack
im not sure what is going on in this thread but it's completely like unrelated and funny.

btw esam

Litt

Samus

FTR, I have wins over G$, Animal, Rolex, Gallo, Stereo Kidd, Narq, Seagull Joe, DVD, Codi, John Numbers among others.

Johns, johns, johns, also johns....
Dude this is PM SAMUS... who cares if you have a medoicre ness, because you obviously do not have a quality samus, and of that matter should not be talking about match ups and aruging against actually experienced samus players.... seriously what are you thinking? Uhhghghhg i can play nesss.... so http://smashboards.com/forums/samus.418/ thats the forum for ness right guys? :o :o that doesnt look like ness... hmm I better just keep talking and saying Im right, hopefully people will understand that whatever I know is correct... dude your melee game is ass, and all you have to know is how to use your shield and any basic part of samus's neutral in order to win that MU, you got pooped on because you could not convert and kept getting tossed around. Judging your credentials period as a player can come from any set of yours specifically when you want to speak about samus....

I've played against Metroid's Ike as Samus and it wasn't that fun. Touching on the Falcon MU, it still sucks for Samus at times but Zair and Up smash really hinder Falcon's ability to do anything. DI may mess you up, but you can easily just chain Up smashes against fast fallers and get a grab > dthrow > fsmash and pretty easily clear a stock depending on %'s.
Kaysick you really dont know what you are talking about there, zair is a huge commitment against falcon in neutral all he has to do is shield it and he gets a free freaking knee in your face, as for up smash... good players can sdi out of it... and then you get a free freaking knee in your face.... no you cant just chain up smash with fast fallers... good players can sdi out of them.... also grab to dthrow to fsmash also does not work at all at almost any % if the opponent just... DIs... :O.... what actually is helpful in this match up is to just roll away in morphball form, into random dash attacks and CC dsmash everything falcon does to you

Last edited:

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Please, keep this thread going. I want it to end in a MM at Apex.

Top Bottom